Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Anders posted:

Lol, letting Russian backed neo-nazis sabotage their own geopolitical goals is peak :sweden:

:dumbbravo:

Sweden's been pretty dumb recently, they were also all freedumb to die from covid too lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Norway was always the superior operating system

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Ivan: This is terrible. Now I have to go into an irradiated building with a bomb duct-taped to a stick with people shooting me.

Alina: Ok, good luck.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

HonorableTB posted:

big ol bell in russia. biggest bell ever made, according to the half drunk soviet brained tour guide that was talking to us. broke in forging, philadelphia laughs at this feeble attempt at liberty
Kremlin's greatest - largest bell that never rung and largest cannon that was never fired.

Big suka sukhois of their time.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So anti-nato proponents just need to burn a book every now and then to block Swedens entry into Nato? D:

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

CSM posted:

In an alternate timeline, a Prighozin-Furry-FSB triumvirate has taken over the Russian Federation:
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1673803622142836737?t=IHnMUb9O3cA9l5yONMh-aw&s=19

Ukraine War: Russia almost fell to the Yiff Column

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

weg posted:

Ukraine War: Russia almost fell to the Yiff Column

Oh no.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Sweden has been having a few Real Ones lately

the Koran burning dude is Rasmus Paladun, who is Danish-Swedish and has done this multiple loving times. The cops grant the permit to go through despite it usually ending in loving wasted resources and everyone pissed off, destruction and lovely tensions among the populace. He’s a right wing shithead and oh wow a loving pedo adjacent creep just learned this now kinda want to vomit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasmus_Paludan

Right wingers here mainline and distort US RW talking points, we’re starting the drag queen story time fearmongering poo poo and it’s like, you clearly used google translate for all this poo poo. It’s the same loving beats, imported bigotry. Alternatively, they’re spoonfed some of the most clearly Russian backed RW nonsense and just…truly cannot handle that the world exists outside of their town and then get upset when the rest of the world calls them out on it??

Sweden does NOT like to be called out for wrongdoing, like even if something is clearly a poor choice and will cause more harm, doesn’t matter, how dare you think you may know more than WE DO. Sverigebilden is very, very fragile.

In the seven years I’ve lived here I don’t understand why admitting fault is a hard thing to do here. I’m grateful that recognizing that has taught me to embrace my own imperfections and learn to take my mistakes on the nose because good god I cannot be acting like that as an adult it is embarrassing.

So yeah we ain’t getting into NATO for some time and tbh some of it is on us.

E: wow speaking of being wrong, it shockingly isn’t Paludan burning the Koran this time! It’s the dumbest copycat imaginable

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/xgd2ej/polisen-beviljar-ny-koranbranning-i-stockholm

quote:

Det är 37-årige Salwan Momika som planerar att bränna koranen. Han har tidigare berättat för Aftonbladet att han vill bränna koranen för att han vill att skriften ska förbjudas i hela Sverige.

Han sa då att han ”inte vill att min demonstration ska vara negativ till Sveriges begäran om att gå med i Nato”.

quote:

It is 37-year-old Salwan Momika who plans to burn the Koran. He has previously told Aftonbladet that he wants to burn the Koran because he wants the scripture to be banned in all of Sweden.

He then said that he "does not want my demonstration to be negative to Sweden's request to join NATO".

teen witch fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 28, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
it's hard being a pro Z furry

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1673944452316950528
At the rate things are going, there's soon not very many VEE DEE VEE left to be in charge of. :dumbrim:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Using precise missiles to kill children in pizzeria

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1674015982749204480

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

edit:

:lol: traditional very lucrative neutrality

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1674015494775373825

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 28, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Zzulu posted:

So anti-nato proponents just need to burn a book every now and then to block Swedens entry into Nato? D:

Based on what I've heard from people that seem to know, it's possible Türkiye and Hungary can be placated by NATO :airquote: inducements :airquote: so if true Swedish ascension is likely just delayed regardless of what racist dumbfucks do. But Türkiye will likely make hay of such displays.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What am I missing here?

Zellensky has delayed elections in October if they are still at war with Russia. My immediate thought is

Dedicated polling stations will/could be missiled because Russia has record of dunking on civis
Lots more civis active on the streets
Part of Ukraine can't vote
Diverting resources is probably not a good thing during war
Ukraine is at war

Tankies and Glenn/Tucker super fans think this is some kind of evil. I don't get it

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Tai posted:

What am I missing here?
I don't get it

Comedian actor Zelensky drug addict want to become DICTATOR so he can spend WESTERN PROVIDED MONEY on DRUGS and THEN RUN off with STUFFED POCKETS after his NAZI army is DEFEATED by PUTIN who I do NOT SUPPORT

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Well, you don't understand, it's obviously undemocratic, and therefore fascist, and therefore

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023

HonorableTB posted:

big ol bell in russia. biggest bell ever made, according to the half drunk soviet brained tour guide that was talking to us. broke in forging, philadelphia laughs at this feeble attempt at liberty

Did they know they could melt and reforge it at the time?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I can only assume the restaurant had some beef with Prigohzhin's catering company and this was part of the deal to call off the coup?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Tai posted:

What am I missing here?

Zellensky has delayed elections in October if they are still at war with Russia. My immediate thought is

Dedicated polling stations will/could be missiled because Russia has record of dunking on civis
Ukraine is at war

Tankies and Glenn/Tucker super fans think this is some kind of evil. I don't get it
They're malignant idiots, it doesn't matter what they say. If elections were held, they would whine that having elections is bad because

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dwesa posted:

They're malignant idiots, it doesn't matter what they say. If elections were held, they would whine that having elections is bad because

They can go to the devil for all I care. Their stupidity can be safely ignored as long as needed, they can always be mocked and dunked on after the war ends for their own temerity.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

[Nazis blow up a pizzeria with kids in it for no reason]

Online genius: Always support the guys fighting the Nazis, who are the kids in the pizzeria, and not the Nazis who blew them up :smug:

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 28, 2023

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

The Lone Badger posted:

I can only assume the restaurant had some beef with Prigohzhin's catering company and this was part of the deal to call off the coup?

I just can't wrap my head around wasting dwindling/precious missiles on civilian targets. Is russia so brain drained that they think killing tens of civilians with multi-million dollar missiles is somehow going to suddenly break Ukraine's spirit (even though it has never been the case in history before)?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

DandyLion posted:

I just can't wrap my head around wasting dwindling/precious missiles on civilian targets. Is russia so brain drained that they think killing tens of civilians with multi-million dollar missiles is somehow going to suddenly break Ukraine's spirit (even though it has never been the case in history before)?

It's part of their standard military playbook. They wholeheartedly believe that if you terrorize civilians long enough, they'll force their governments to capitulate.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Toxic Mental posted:

Online genius: Always support the guys fighting the Nazis, who are the kids in the pizzeria, and not the Nazis who blew them up :smug:

Critical support as online praxis: "while we endorse the anti-imperialist struggle of killing children, waged by our comrades from the Ultranationalist Party for Ethnic Cleansing, we are disturbed by the potential damage caused to pizza and pizza making facilities, and urge further investigation into the matter"

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

zone posted:

It's part of their standard military playbook. They wholeheartedly believe that if you terrorize civilians long enough, they'll force their governments to capitulate.

This is something that gets me about this stupid war- if the Russians looked at their own history they would see this poo poo doesn't work. gently caress, I know fascists aren't really big on reading, but surely they'd make an exception for their own Glorious History™.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Toxic Mental posted:

Your reminder that this is the person who anti-Americans and anti-Western terminally online oafs support for the sake of the "multipolar" world;

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

DandyLion posted:

Russians are strong because they are willing to suffer and sacrifice their own people to the meatgrinder for BEnNKNN POCCNR.
Enemies of Russia are weak because they desire comfort and don't want their innocent civilians to die.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CommissarMega posted:

This is something that gets me about this stupid war- if the Russians looked at their own history they would see this poo poo doesn't work. gently caress, I know fascists aren't really big on reading, but surely they'd make an exception for their own Glorious History™.

They're also not very good at spying on Ukraine's military infrastructure, so they do the next best thing, and shoot their missiles at innocent civilians and civilian infrastructure instead. Also, the dirty rat spy who gave the coordinates of the pizzeria to the people who launched the missiles, was caught on the same day by the SBU. I hope he rots in prison for a very long time.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Again, it's really easy to draw any conclusion you want from wars really. Theres's a pretty good book called "Empires of the Weak" (short too) that deals with dispelling alot of myths regarding European overseas expansion in the early modern era, particularly how this is often explained as the result of something called the "Military Revolution". One of the things it acrgues for is just how difficult it is to draw singularly useful lessons about the specifics (the broader picture is easier) what does and doesn't work from something as complex as warfare.

Also again with the Russians, as I'm one to harp on often, just see the Soviet-Afghan War. Where you could also argue that they should have had the experience of the Vietnam War to draw on, but if they were doing so the lessons they must have learned (or thought they learned) was that the US should have depopulated larger areas as free fire zones, poisoned more agricultural lands and actively commit reprisal attacks against villages after casualties.

See also Syria. Though there it is arguable that without much means for their side to strike back and protect them, over time these sorts of terror tactics actually do wear down populations into hopelessness and indifference.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 28, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1674038038110846976
Part of a company of VEE DEE VEE gave up after being surrounded. The rest will eventually get their own chance to surrender.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I can't say I have any faith in Russian technology being 'highly accurate '. Even if they nominally have good accuracy, I'd expect a non-trivial failure rate.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Anders posted:

Lol, letting Russian backed neo-nazis sabotage their own geopolitical goals is peak :sweden:

:dumbbravo:

Turns out that having a massive superiority complex and finger wagging other nations who you openly contempt, or at least consider being beneath you, actually doesn't win hearts and minds. Unfortunately it is also the only play the Swedish politicians and government official know.

Other success stories of the Swedish "we are better than you"-thinking is that they managed to cock up a murder investigation on their own prime minister who was shot in the center of Stockholm, because it was considered impossible at the time to accept and believe an eye-witness because he was a lower class Finn, while the suspect he pointed out was a proper Swedish person. That person probably did it, but this investigative line was dropped and the case ended up going cold. And this didn't happen in 1780 or 1880, but 1980s.

the other hand
Dec 14, 2003

43rd Heavy Artillery Brigade
"Ultima Ratio Liberalium"
This feels like a worthwhile read. Ukraine currently doesn’t have a good way to deal with minefields.

https://twitter.com/tatarigami_ua/status/1673949202068434945?s=46&t=xh4hN1hNNwF9_Cq439R6TA

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Tai posted:

What am I missing here?

Ukraine is at war

It's obvious that with his 90% approval rating, Zelenskyy is trying to prevent his defeat in the 2024 elections and establish a dictatorship.

In all seriousness: they should take a good look at whether holding elections is practically feasible and can be conducted safely.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Pablo Bluth posted:

I can't say I have any faith in Russian technology being 'highly accurate '. Even if they nominally have good accuracy, I'd expect a non-trivial failure rate.

There was a picture of an airfield going around that was hit at the beginning of the invasion with multiple missiles. Only two hit anything of actual value and those were the ones that hit the runway. Something like 10-15+ missiles were fired at it.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

CSM posted:

In all seriousness: they should take a good look at whether holding elections is practically feasible and can be conducted safely.

Uhh no one with tankie-brain gives a crap. To campists this is like a sports game, everything your team does is good, everything the other people do is bad. Ideology is unsubstantial dressing to the fundamental goal ("i want the US and their dogs to lose" and such)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not a military expert, but has anyone considered just digging a tunnel under the mines? Maybe someone could forward my idea to Ukrainian high command?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1674040901226602496
By joint training, do they mean joining the Belarusian specops Jerk du Soleil?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Somaen posted:

Uhh no one with tankie-brain gives a crap. To campists this is like a sports game, everything your team does is good, everything the other people do is bad. Ideology is unsubstantial dressing to the fundamental goal ("i want the US and their dogs to lose" and such)

As the old saw goes, every accusation is a confession from these types.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

zone posted:

There was a picture of an airfield going around that was hit at the beginning of the invasion with multiple missiles. Only two hit anything of actual value and those were the ones that hit the runway. Something like 10-15+ missiles were fired at it.

There's a lot of maladaptive gyroscopic procession derived from the control chip being set to the spin cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1674038038110846976
Part of a company of VEE DEE VEE gave up after being surrounded. The rest will eventually get their own chance to surrender.

How big is a typical VDV company? I assume we're talking about a (Motorised?) Rifle Company, but I'm googling and getting really scant resources on actual numbers, let alone which company it might be in that area. So at a complete guess, a full company might be 80-120 soldiers, say it's 50% that because of manpower issues, so that tweet is claiming Ukraine captured 'part' of like 40-60 soldiers?

I don't have a comment one way or another and I know that particular channel just churns out every single positive rumour with zero filter or analysis, I'm just curious about what "part of a VDV company" might mean in real terms and couldn't find poo poo online