Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Each weapon has like one attack string. The game is about dealing with enemy attacks. I'm not sure how shallow factors into that to be honest the rooms are very dynamic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

ImpAtom posted:

It really isn't. Also if you thought it was why would you need God mode?

Making assumptions about a piece of media based on screenshots and videos is a time honored tradition, don't hate!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

No Wave posted:

Each weapon has like one attack string. The game is about dealing with enemy attacks. I'm not sure how shallow factors into that to be honest the rooms are very dynamic.

Yes and no. The variant weapons really add a lot to how you play one. But the defining feature of any single run are the boons you get as that’ll really define how you play that one. And each one is different which is what makes it so drat addictive.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I started playing Pikmin 3 with my wife last night and she is enamored with it. She's not very good with joysticks so I'm honestly incredibly relieved that the lock-on mechanic is in the game; when I played it originally I thought it made things too easy but with that perspective I'm really glad for it.

I am having some issues with my joycons that I was wondering if anyone has experience with. When they are in the unit they work perfectly, but disconnected I'm having issues with the character not responding to commands to move forward. He can go every other direction just fine, and wiggling a bit will get him moving forward, but I keep stopping dead when Im moving around the world.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I love Hades, I’ve put 125 hours into it.
…. and still haven’t won.
Clearly I’m doing something wrong.
:suicide:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

No Wave posted:

You mean the six weapons, of which each have...four(?) different variants, numerous boons that change up their actions in both minor and very major ways? Also with charge attacks, dash attacks, and whatever the alternate attack is called?

A wild take. Saying they each have one attack string is like saying that if you hold down the 'shoot' button in Devil May Cry then all you do is shoot guns and that makes the combat shallow.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

eightysixed posted:

I love Hades, I’ve put 125 hours into it.
…. and still haven’t won.
Clearly I’m doing something wrong.

You haven't finished the story (requiring 10 clears) or you haven't even beat dad once?

If the latter then yeah, probably you're doing something pretty wrong.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Regy Rusty posted:

You haven't finished the story (requiring 10 clears) or you haven't even beat dad once?

If the latter then yeah, probably you're doing something pretty wrong.

Haven’t beat dad once :v:

e: got to him once, would have won but I stood up and did the celebration thing until i realized there’s a second phase and it was too late by then.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 28, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Morpheus posted:

You mean the six weapons, of which each have...four(?) different variants, numerous boons that change up their actions in both minor and very major ways? Also with charge attacks, dash attacks, and whatever the alternate attack is called?

A wild take. Saying they each have one attack string is like saying that if you hold down the 'shoot' button in Devil May Cry then all you do is shoot guns and that makes the combat shallow.
It's nothing like Devil May Cry which has a system where you get points based on how many different moves you do. I prefer Hades to devil may cry by the way. In Hades your character only does a few things per run and you are more responding to enemy actions than exploring your own combat options vs easily staggered/juggled enemies (this is actually perfectly normal and devil may cry/character action is very unusual). In a given run of Hades you're mostly performing the same attack string over and over depending on which weapon you choose. This isn't a knock on the game that's just how it works.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Thanks for reminding me to play Hades again. All the weapons are great, sometimes you just want the gun with the full-auto mod and :blastu:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

eightysixed posted:

e: got to him once, would have won but I stood up and did the celebration thing until i realized there’s a second phase and it was too late by then.

Have you missed something major, like forgetting to use the mirror to level up? I was blitzing through Hades at 100 hours.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

eightysixed posted:

You should be beating him by your 30th run and consistently by your 40th. Runs are like 20 minutes once you know what you're doing.

Turn on God mode, it's just damage reduction.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I have 15 hours of flying ahead of me and just tried to fire up Tears of the Kingdom and I can’t play it without internet?

Apparently I was supposed to do video game homework ahead of using my portable console as a portable console to ensure it’s my ‘primary’ device, and there’s no way to change it until I get home.

What a garbage user experience, what the gently caress? Is there really no way to make this my primary device from their website or something? That setting doesn’t even exist on the console’s OS as far as I can tell.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I have 15 hours of flying ahead of me and just tried to fire up Tears of the Kingdom and I can’t play it without internet?

Apparently I was supposed to do video game homework ahead of using my portable console as a portable console to ensure it’s my ‘primary’ device, and there’s no way to change it until I get home.

What a garbage user experience, what the gently caress? Is there really no way to make this my primary device from their website or something? That setting doesn’t even exist on the console’s OS as far as I can tell.

And you didn't buy a physical card because... reasons?

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22453/~/how-to-change-the-primary-console-for-your-nintendo-account
Tl; dr - you're on a plane, you're hosed. Hope you have an audiobook/Kindle app lol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Not OP, but a lot of people got TotK with the voucher thing cause that's more cost effective. Also digital is nice for not having to bring along/swap game carts, which seems like it'd be especially convenient for a portable console.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I wish I liked Hades but it seemed like the kind of game you could frantically button bash and be no worse off for.

Honestly might just god mode it and play for the story

how much did you play? I could see how one could maybe get that impression from like the first few rooms of Tartarus but the game ramps up pretty quickly

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Not OP, but a lot of people got TotK with the voucher thing cause that's more cost effective. Also digital is nice for not having to bring along/swap game carts, which seems like it'd be especially convenient for a portable console.

Single player: always get the card
Multiplayer: get digital if you play a lot

:colbert:

Also, if they have more than one Switch (since one is the primary), why didn't they take that one.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I bought digital because I used a voucher but also because both me and my gf play it.

How would you be able to change it to be a primary console from a website if the console can't connect to the website, why would that make sense

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Morpheus posted:

I bought digital because I used a voucher but also because both me and my gf play it.

How would you be able to change it to be a primary console from a website if the console can't connect to the website, why would that make sense

It shouldn’t be a thing I need to worry about in the first place. I have probably a thousand dollars in this ecosystem but only one of my two consoles can actually be used as a portable console. What a great feature!

If the onus is on the consumer then there should be a banner msg at the top of my secondary switch that says it’s not a primary console and therefore does not allow offline play. This should not be something a user discovers when they’re on the other side of the planet. lol at defending any of this bullshit.

Mister Facetious posted:

Yes it’s my fault I used the built in digital store on the console :discourse:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

nintendo's decisions are wise and it is not our place to question them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

are you on the plane already or can you use airport wifi or set your phone as a mobile hotspot real quick

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Why is it not set as your primary console? Sounds like a skill issue.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Single player: always get the card
Multiplayer: get digital if you play a lot

:colbert:

Also, if they have more than one Switch (since one is the primary), why didn't they take that one.

and yet, if you bring the console anywhere, you can't play any of those multiplayer games you have installed to the system

like it works out fine if you only wanna play one game on your trip, but I'd hate to have to bring along multiple physical games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It shouldn’t be a thing I need to worry about in the first place. I have probably a thousand dollars in this ecosystem but only one of my two consoles can actually be used as a portable console. What a great feature!

If the onus is on the consumer then there should be a banner msg at the top of my secondary switch that says it’s not a primary console and therefore does not allow offline play. This should not be something a user discovers when they’re on the other side of the planet. lol at defending any of this bullshit.

Then you can play it on the console in which your account is primary. Like, it sounds like you're trying to do game sharing, which I'm 100% all about, but this is not something that companies want to make easy for people to do. Sony used to let you gameshare to 5 separate PS3s, and quickly realized why that was a bad idea as a company that wants to make as much money as possible, but also realized why generally you may want your account on another system so they didn't do away with it entirely. I assume the only reason it exists is for kids to be able to play their own Switch using games that parents have purchased. The alternative is that you have 2 switches and, yeah, one of them is the primary that you take out of the house and the other is the secondary that stays in the warm embrace of wifi.

Now what I will say about Nintendo's method of doing things that sucks is that, unlike PS4/5 where you can just switch a primary console by setting it on the console you want to be primary (which will disable the previous console as primary automatically), on the Switch you need to unregister the original console first, and only then can you set the new console as the primary. It's an additional step that's a pain, especially since it requires password entry at both points of the process.

primary

Augus posted:

are you on the plane already or can you use airport wifi or set your phone as a mobile hotspot real quick

And also get someone to disable the previous one, which is a pain as mentioned.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yes it’s my fault I used the built in digital store on the console :discourse:

Why didn't you take the primary console on the trip?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I will say it loving sucks that you have to find this out on a long-rear end flight. I accidentally forgot to do it as a passenger on a three hour drive and man, even that was annoying as hell (I think it might've been BotW that I was looking forward to)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I will say it loving sucks that you have to find this out on a long-rear end flight. I accidentally forgot to do it as a passenger on a three hour drive and man, even that was annoying as hell (I think it might've been BotW that I was looking forward to)

If only they had, i dunno... read the instructions maybe. :allears:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I would say if you live in Eugene I’d lend you one of my copies of TotK for the trip since both kids aren’t playing it at the same time. But I’d imagine odds are low that’s the case. I’ve only ever positively met one other goon here.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I couldn't use my second video game console to distract myself during my expensive travel trip, gosh life is so hard,

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Honey, he’s teasing you. No one has two Nintendo Switch systems.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

American McGay posted:

Honey, he’s teasing you. No one has two Nintendo Switch systems.

:glomp:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Nintendo's online and account systems suck rear end and there's no reason to defend them even in cases of user error (that wouldn't happen on literally any other platform) tbh.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Primary console system is unintuitive and frankly bad. Sounds like something that would bite anyone with two consoles once.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nintendo's online and account systems suck rear end and there's no reason to defend them even in cases of user error (that wouldn't happen on literally any other platform) tbh.

Literally every other platform needs to be connected to the internet to switch primary, the only difference is that you won't be doing that on a plane with your ps5.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Literally every other platform needs to be connected to the internet to switch primary, the only difference is that you won't be doing that on a plane with your ps5.
My laptop doesnt.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

No Wave posted:

My laptop doesnt.

To play someone else's games you do

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

No Wave posted:

Primary console system is unintuitive and frankly bad. Sounds like something that would bite anyone with two consoles once.

Or you could read the instructions that came with your two $300 consoles, do a quick Google search on the Nintendo support site, and avoided any problems... 🤔

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
really i think the problem is their use of "primary" and "secondary" are confusing and sometimes works the opposite way you'd think it would

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Or you could read the instructions that came with your two $300 consoles, do a quick Google search on the Nintendo support site, and avoided any problems... 🤔
Just search the nintendo support page before I have a problem for the solution to the problem that hasnt happened yet. Congratulations you are a huge nintendo fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think this came up before when the switch lite came out and some people wanted to get one for portable stuff, where even though the "switch at home" is the "main" system, you'd be better off setting that as the secondary one because it's likely to be constantly online