Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Did any boon setups escape unscathed? It sounds like healalacmech and presumably alacmech are still fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The latest mechanical genius change is garbage, 50% increased cooldown of mech skills if you're not stood literally on top of the mech when you use them. Other than that things pretty much work the same.

There are some very broken boon setups in this patch though. Thief can 100% alac or quick while doing around 40k dps with no boon duration, for example.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I assume that all mechs will be equipping the ranged skill rather than the punch from now on

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The ranged mech is almost impossible to work with mechanical genius due to the horrible AI. Up until this patch you at least had a 10s grace period so you could move over to wherever it decided to run off to every so often. The melee mech at least will always walk to the boss, where the group should be stacked, and stay there.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Are skyscales worth getting? I got stuck in one part of the quest cause the flying kinda sucks and I ended up falling and couldn't get a new skyscale so I said gently caress it and quit the quest. Should I try again or just get a griffon?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Elblanco posted:

Are skyscales worth getting? I got stuck in one part of the quest cause the flying kinda sucks and I ended up falling and couldn't get a new skyscale so I said gently caress it and quit the quest. Should I try again or just get a griffon?

Skyscales are incredible. Almost certainly worth it, particularly if you've done a bunch of the stuff already

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I'd posted some Mukluk clips, but discovered the links were breaking on mobile.

Here's Mukluk's thoughts on the new class changes in the patch. This is well worth a watch. He covers Druid (his main) and several other PvE support classes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_FPtsRo118

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like Anet has a widely different view from the playerbase when it comes to boons, Anet seems to think it's fine for a new intended support build to have 20-50% uptime on boons with full boon duration and all utility slots used, while they also create supports that have 100% uptime on many boons with much less investment needed and it's obvious which one the playerbase is going to bring everytime.

Honestly the real solution to all this is Anet finally takes an axe to 100% alac/quickness being a thing, turn them back into temporary super damage boosts instead of always up all the time, buff the recharge/attack speed of base skills to compensate if needed.

Having to spam entirely unrelated skills that normally would have situational use or defensive use but are just always on cooldown because you got to spam the boons feels bad.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 28, 2023

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

tarbrush posted:

Skyscales are incredible. Almost certainly worth it, particularly if you've done a bunch of the stuff already

Must have, imo. The expansion will also supposedly makes them easier to get or something, though.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Avalerion posted:

Must have, imo. The expansion will also supposedly makes them easier to get or something, though.
Hopefully it doesn't include collecting hundreds of obscure materials and reading a 200-page long wiki because that's where I gave up.

Staff warrior sounds fun though. Here's hoping it'll be melee and not pew pew magic from afar.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Quickness or alacrity need to be 100% or close uptime as a design feature or removed from the game. They change your play style and pace too much to be up 20-30% of the time, especially when it’s poorly communicated compared to something like heroism in WoW when it’s clear when and where to use it and when it’s up. GW2 boons are just too obtuse for them to be up partially.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like Anet has a widely different view from the playerbase when it comes to boons, Anet seems to think it's fine for a new intended support build to have 20-50% uptime on boons with full boon duration and all utility slots used, while they also create supports that have 100% uptime on many boons with much less investment needed and it's obvious which one the playerbase is going to bring everytime.

I think they just hosed up the numbers. They said explicitly they don't want people to have to spam abilities to keep boons up... but the new druid needs to spam constantly and never miss an ability or alac drops, even with 100% boon duration. I think you can see the intent with quick herald - maintaining quickness now is just a side effect of having sufficient boon duration and using your normal abilities (though it kinda ruined herald since it can no longer easily spam loads of other boons). Likewise, the current specter just outputs alac by doing its rotation. The problem with specter is that it now easily overcaps without any boon duration at all, or even utilities that specifically apply the boon. There's no tradeoff. Specter and druid could easily be fixed with a simple duration tweak, though druid probably also needs a bit of work on the other buffs it used to provide, much like herald.

From what I understand, scourge alac would probably also be usable, if not good, with a simple duration tweak.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Honestly the real solution to all this is Anet finally takes an axe to 100% alac/quickness being a thing, turn them back into temporary super damage boosts instead of always up all the time, buff the recharge/attack speed of base skills to compensate if needed.

While I agree it was likely a mistake to allow this, now it's here, I think not having 100% uptime would require a significant redesign of the combat system. Short duration boons are probably fine in PvP, but in PvE where consistent output over a long period of time is important, it would feel extremely bad to have variable cast times/cooldowns on your rotation. It would be almost impossible with the short duration, short cooldown boons to properly time the high damage portion of your rotation with someone else in the group giving you a big buff. It's a big problem in PvE, imo, that your performance relies so heavily on the rest of your group, and a change like this would just exacerbate that.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Having to spam entirely unrelated skills that normally would have situational use or defensive use but are just always on cooldown because you got to spam the boons feels bad.

Totally agreed, and it seems Mukluk has a similar opinion.

Anet has designed boons in PvE in such a way that support builds are now mandatory for content, but the goalpost to be a successful support build keeps changing (and in a negative way).

If your group could be doing triple their damage, and taking significantly less damage because of boon application, that's something PvE players will dig in deep in order to accomplish. That genie is never going back into the bottle.

Just make Alac/Quick baseline skills for PvE for support classes. Tweak the numbers so it's harder to obtain 100% boon uptime in PvP. That seems like a good place to start. More PvE players will want to play support builds in general, and more groups will successfully clear content.

Anet should be incentivizing players to be excited about support builds, not disincentivizing them.

Okay, sure - so a few individual classes would need to be tuned for balance reasons, but I feel like the positives still outweigh the negatives. What we have now is an entire class identity being sacrificed just to be a boon provider.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
'Spamming things on cooldown just for boons' isn't anything special compared to the 'spamming things on cooldown just for damage' we've always been doing, the difference is boon builds need to account for application delays in advance with extra concentration, where dps builds just naturally fall below their benchmark as a result of holding things for cc or other utility.

I'm hoping there will be +40% quickness and alacrity relic options so people will be able to toss that on with their normal dps set, instead of having to scrounge around for ritualist/diviner gear. Combined with the applications being moved onto things the builds do anyway, it could help get people into boon roles more easily.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Imaginary Friend posted:

Hopefully it doesn't include collecting hundreds of obscure materials and reading a 200-page long wiki because that's where I gave up.

Staff warrior sounds fun though. Here's hoping it'll be melee and not pew pew magic from afar.

It's a ranged weapon where they use the staff like a shovel to launch rocks at the enemy. Core warrior has no magic other than signets and anger.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

jokes posted:

It's a ranged weapon where they use the staff like a shovel to launch rocks at the enemy. Core warrior has no magic other than signets and anger.
drat, jokes' on me! At least it isn't throw your staff at enemies and pick it up to lower the cooldown from 30 seconds to 15.

Fantasy talk! What kind of mechanics/skills would ya folks like for the new weapons?

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 28, 2023

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

jokes posted:

i imagined they'd be bonking things on the head, like daredevil but with brute force instead of finesse

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i imagined they'd be bonking things on the head, like daredevil but with brute force instead of finesse

I could see that too. I really do think rocks will be involved in some way though, lol, because Warrior has a lot of "surprise! it's a rock!" abilities spread across its specs.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the warrior staff kit will have them slam rocks at enemies like baseballs

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Looking forward to baseball themed costumes

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

jokes posted:

Looking forward to baseball themed costumes
And the new baseball court -skinned skimmer.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Imaginary Friend posted:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Poor focus gets no love even in the new round of core weapons

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

whydirt posted:

Poor focus gets no love even in the new round of core weapons

the only legendary i have, to date, is the howler warhorn

imagine how i feel as well, especially since i don't even have an elementalist to play tempest out of all my characters

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 28, 2023

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Someone needs mainhand focus so Binding of Ipos can shine.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ive always wanted a mesmer mainhand focus with ESP flavor that inflicts confusion and fear

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I wanted dual focus warrior as fancy brass knuckles

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

whydirt posted:

I wanted dual focus warrior as fancy brass knuckles

I would've loved bashing motherfuckers with 2 skulls.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Jedah posted:

If your group could be doing triple their damage, and taking significantly less damage because of boon application, that's something PvE players will dig in deep in order to accomplish. That genie is never going back into the bottle.

Ah the memories of TBC-era WoW, with the raid leader cycling shamans into the warlock group to keep heroism up on us. It was totally fun dumping a trade and grinding LW for the entire group for drums. Good times. Gotta love "temporary" buffs!

quote:

Just make Alac/Quick baseline skills for PvE for support classes. Tweak the numbers so it's harder to obtain 100% boon uptime in PvP. That seems like a good place to start. More PvE players will want to play support builds in general, and more groups will successfully clear content.

I honestly thought that's where they were going, since it seemed like each patch you got a spec that could now provide quick/alac but provide it via their build (I guess forgoing some damage options) and normal rotation instead of requiring entirely different buttons. That's a good direction to go in.

The druid change just looks like no one thought it through at all.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think might should be applied as a flat bonus to a single ability's damage.

I think most boons should work as they do but if they get high enough they get fleeting super-versions of the boon. For example, swiftness as-is is perfect, but if it reaches 60s of uptime, all the swiftness above 60s turns into superspeed and it burns off 10x faster than normal swiftness (10s swiftness = 1s superspeed). Vigor gives you a bonus dodge bar as long as it stays above 10s, things like that. Resistance turns into stability, etc.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

It's way too late for quickness and alacrity to be undone. Besides gameplay feel, a fair few specs and weapons are just completely designed around them existing, so you'd need to basically do more than just tune baseline damage numbers/boss health.

Foci are probably really hard to figure out a good set of two skills for, given they're defensive utility weapons and those arent in demand for pve. We might see it if like, they need to scrape the bottom of the barrel for new weapons. Its no coincidence we havent seen new shield users since HoT either.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Alacrity was a mistake

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I liked it when it was very much a chronomancer-specific buff.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah but chrono-only alacrity was part of the the 'sell the expansion' (un)balance changes they seem to like to do

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I always get kind of mildly interested in GW2 when news happens (particularly as we’re getting into the slow part of the summer), but as someone who has basically not played since launch…what is the new player experience like these days?

Is it approachable or is it like Warframe where if you haven’t been living and breathing the game it’s basically impenetrable at this point?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You'll have a ton of good video game in front of you, then you'll run out of story and have a billion grinds that you can safely ignore, all of which are populated.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

There’s a lot of fun game in GW2, but yeah you can safely duck back out when you hit anything that feels too much like work

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
The accessibility of GW2 for new players is one of its advantages, and the show runners absolutely know it (see: upcoming skyscape grind change).

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mukluk made a support heal Druid build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YESqj6sP7Q

It doesn't provide Alac, but it does provide a lot of boons and emergency heal skills. It's sort of like a stand-in heal scourge.

While his healing build is quite strong, I'd still say it's situational, either you're:

• In a pre-made group and someone else brings Alac DPS.
  • You're willing to command a group and find an Alac person for your subgroup.
  • You're doing open world meta content and no one cares.

I tried pugging today as just "Heal Druid" with no Alac, and immediately got push back, so that probably isn't a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Do we know more of the weapon addition moves yet?
I'm mostly wondering if staff warrior is going to be a full support or not.