Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Broken promises will just be another stick for the media to beat them with if they do get into power, further expediting the return of an even more right-wing Conservative Party.

At least if they formally retract it that’s one less thing, not that there’s really a shortage of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Granted, this is a big ask, given the state of british journalism, but if just one person made a catalogue of all these loving nonsense policies and retractions, I feel like you could just air that as a party political broadcast and it would make them look like absolute loving morons.

It's not like anybody has ever accused labour of being inconsistent and full of infighting.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 28, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

Broken promises will just be another stick for the media to beat them with if they do get into power, further expediting the return of an even more right-wing Conservative Party.

At least if they formally retract it that’s one less thing, not that there’s really a shortage of things.

Can't break promises if you're just continuously shedding them like ablative armour.

:kieth_rollsafe.gif:

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 28, 2023

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Darth Walrus posted:

Exactly. They're the party of sober...

Not with Keir at the helm.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Being so turbo late stage capitalist with your debt loading and asset plundering that you manage to go bust when you own a monopoly utility for every single person in the whole of London and beyond is actually quite impressive work

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

smellmycheese posted:

Being so turbo late stage capitalist with your debt loading and asset plundering that you manage to go bust when you own a monopoly utility for every single person in the whole of London and beyond is actually quite impressive work

Yeah I'm kinda baffled how they managed it. They have one of the most reliable sources of income possible but they still managed to gently caress up basic budgeting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I would call that "showing weakness" if it were in response to criticism but given that they appear to be just retracting them unprompted it verges more into "having an argument with yourself" territory.

Like you suggested the policy, if it was a bad one why did you do it? Why do you keep doing it to the point that it appears to be some kind of kink thing where you just really get off on announcing policies and then retracting them?

They've been doing it non stop for years, I can't see how it doesn't just make them seem like you should assume anything they say will be retracted within a day or so.
People pay more attention to New New Labour when they abandon policies than when they create them, so they've found a cheap way of staying in the social media news.

It's the "no such thing as bad publicity" mindset for politics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah I'm kinda baffled how they managed it. They have one of the most reliable sources of income possible but they still managed to gently caress up basic budgeting.

The objective is not to run the company it's to maximise value extraction from the legal fiction of the company in the shortest amount of time. Asset strippers just buy a company, load it with the debt from buying it, pay themselves a massive bonus, then declare bankruptcy.

It's not mismanagement because it's not even management, it's deliberately collapsing companies for personal gain.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

You left out the bit where they sell and leaseback all the assets to get money for those dividends.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Mega Comrade posted:

They’ve robbed it blind OP, looted it for every last penny while letting turds flood into the water. And you’re not allowed to oppose this insanity because that means your a filthy communist

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

People pay more attention to New New Labour when they abandon policies than when they create them, so they've found a cheap way of staying in the social media news.

It's the "no such thing as bad publicity" mindset for politics.

The problem with Starmerism is eventually you run out of policies to abandon.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Skull Servant posted:

Easily solved by making new policies (and then abandoning them)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skull Servant posted:

There's no such thing as sobriety. There are individual measures and there are cyclists. :tinsley:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

They’ve robbed it blind OP, looted it for every last penny while letting turds flood into the water. And you’re not allowed to oppose this insanity because that means your a filthy communist
The argument about capitalism being the most efficient way (or even more efficient way) of organising resources lost even its veneer of truth in the 00s when people started loving around with bullshit that allowed companies to profit from debt.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Zalakwe posted:

Asset stripped by Macquarie you say? Better nationalise those losses pronto so we can sell it on and start the whole process again. How dumb is it that water companies are not publicly owned?

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1673982325791522816

Because water is an essential element to life so it's a perfect profit opportunity

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

What I don't understand is why bother announcing and retracting things.

Like, the retraction isn't going to matter, just lie and say you'll do it and then don't. Nobody's going to go "ah well they said they wouldn't so that means I can't be mad" if you don't give people what they want they're still gonna loving hate you once you're in government.

I keep saying this, but they don't want to win. They want nice safe opposition jobs where they can sit on their arses, get paid and don't have to do anything except say oh dear this is awful look at those naughty Tories.

That the Tories are still managing to gently caress up badly enough to give them a poll lead is horribly hilarious, but never fear! They'll just make a few promises then break them a couple of weeks later! Nobody would possibly vote for them after that!

:smith:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The argument about capitalism being the most efficient way (or even more efficient way) of organising resources lost even its veneer of truth in the 00s when people started loving around with bullshit that allowed companies to profit from debt.
The market economy is the most efficient way to distribute resources according to existing property rights.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I often wish I was Cary Grant.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dead Goon posted:

I often wish I was Cary Grant.

dead for the last 30 years?

same

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

I would call that "showing weakness" if it were in response to criticism but given that they appear to be just retracting them unprompted it verges more into "having an argument with yourself" territory.

Like you suggested the policy, if it was a bad one why did you do it? Why do you keep doing it to the point that it appears to be some kind of kink thing where you just really get off on announcing policies and then retracting them?

They've been doing it non stop for years, I can't see how it doesn't just make them seem like you should assume anything they say will be retracted within a day or so.

Two theories

1. Noonoo Labour exist outside linear time, so they think by announcing and retracting a policy, they can win over both lefties and centre-melts, not realising that the later announcement cancels out the earlier one, because they have no concept of "earlier" or "later"

Lunar Suite posted:

It's the mark of Serious Adults™ to make Tough Decisions™ like "Sorry, we simply cannot afford to let you have a better life that would also generate a lot of tax income for us".

By creating and immediately cancelling as many policies as possible, Labour has discovered an infinite source of Tough Decisions™. The only things that matter are Seriousness and Adulting; concerns such as the content of the policies or whether there should be some non-cancelled policies are secondary.

Kieth is literally Vincent Adultman

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1674080822838673410

:toot:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

He just wasn’t feeling it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Transphobia so thoroughly rots your brain that it's got Dick Dorkins siding with the creationists.

https://twitter.com/2damntrans/status/1671811263649783809

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I scrolled too far down in youtube the other day and it recommended me some thing with dick dorkins and ricky gervais about how "being honest" is amazingly brave and I have never rushed to hit "do not show me this" so fast in my life.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/ft/status/1674034674715197440?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Mmm, feel that warm, reassuring sensibleness.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Transphobia so thoroughly rots your brain that it's got Dick Dorkins siding with the creationists.

https://twitter.com/2damntrans/status/1671811263649783809

He's turned into a gobshite, another decent intelect gone forever. :rolleyes:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dorkin's one useful contribution to the discourse was "nothing is designed to do anything, there's no divine natural order of anything".

He could have gone the David Graeber route with that and ended up at something close to "the ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently."

Instead, like a lot of 90s pop-intellectuals, he decided that the world back then was fine by him and instead threw his one good point in the bin to make weak owns about gametes.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Just Another Lurker posted:

He's turned into a gobshite, another decent intelect gone forever. :rolleyes:
:wrong:, he was never a decent intellectual

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Can't bring up Dick Dawksterdly without the classic indie headline:

British scientists don't like Richard Dawkins, finds study that didn't even ask questions about Richard Dawkins

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's also more proof that all transphobia is lazily recycled homophobia.

I can remember the fundie line of "God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve, they can't reproduce so they go against God's design" and people like Dick did a reasonable job of addressing that one, only to 20 years later fall for the exact same poo poo dressed up in GCSE biology language instead of church newsletter language.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So I found out something interesting about the 'people thought Corbyn wrote that Shelley poem' thing: apparently Corbyn and McCluskey are publishing an anthology of poetry by other people to be published in November. Bonus points for making it a book which is both red and little.

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1674024558536409090?t=BsJfdODh9ipHFHsDEQhIRQ&s=19

Unfortunately this has angered Hadley Freeman, who has used brain-jutsu to somehow read this collection of poems about class struggle and the working class as an attack on the working class.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

cat botherer posted:

:wrong:, he was never a decent intellectual

Eh, some of his work on evolution (Selfish Gene, Climbing Mount Improbable) was pretty good as far as I can remember.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
this is the only good thing he ever did

https://twitter.com/richarddawkins/status/448240882710757376?lang=zh-Hant

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Unfortunately this has angered Hadley Freeman, who has used brain-jutsu to somehow read this collection of poems about class struggle and the working class as an attack on the working class.
Nice casual name drop of actual spittle flecked antisemite Kanye West in there.

Corbyn and McCluskey will probably do for poetry what they did for the Labour Party though, they will encourage people to write their own poetry and people like Badly Peeman will scour them all for one misplaced word that proves that the whole thing was written by Hitler.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I scrolled too far down in youtube the other day and it recommended me some thing with dick dorkins and ricky gervais about how "being honest" is amazingly brave and I have never rushed to hit "do not show me this" so fast in my life.

I got this one in my recommendations too, from I channel I'd previously blocked. Unfortunately Youtube only seems to block channels for an arbitrary time before checking to see if you've changed your mind about not being an alt-right misogynistic terf.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mine's usually fine but if you keep scrolling it gets visibly desperate to get you to watch something so it starts throwing up weirder poo poo you wouldn't click on.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Wrong. He has never topped this. Possibly one of the greatest tweets of all time.

https://twitter.com/richarddawkins/status/389432783304548352?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I fully believe that Dawkins paid Epstein to visit an even Littler St. James island where dogs 69

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Little St Guinefort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Mine's usually fine but if you keep scrolling it gets visibly desperate to get you to watch something so it starts throwing up weirder poo poo you wouldn't click on.

Mine is mostly garbage based on whatever I last watched since, I've filtered out all the channels I subscribe to from the home page. I recently watched a retro review of a game called Revs, so I'm getting lots of 10-second videos of people filming their car's tachometer while they rev the engine.

But I refreshed a couple of minutes ago and got this winning combo.