Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I finished the game and I have a couple of questions related to the story:
What did James Cameron want to do with Clive's body in the end? It seems he was complete with his 15 buddies.
Also what's a Logos? I don't think I opened the in-game Wikipedia when it was mentioned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spermando posted:

I finished the game and I have a couple of questions related to the story:
What did James Cameron want to do with Clive's body in the end? It seems he was complete with his 15 buddies.
Also what's a Logos? I don't think I opened the in-game Wikipedia when it was mentioned

The last battle takes place inside of Clive. The were warring over his body.

Logos is Mythos + free will.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

The up and down pacing was a little worrying to me at the beginning -- the prologue is an amazing mic drop, then the initial sidequests were fine but left me wondering if they'd frontloaded the best parts into the demo. Then I pressed L3 and R3 to accept the truth and understood what kind of game they'd made and I've been hootin and hollerin and enjoying the ride ever since

Also curious if anyone has changed their opinions on the control modes as the game went on and they got more experience with it? I switched to type C initially to make the magic combos easier, but now that I find myself with more eikon abilities and wanting to hot swap to chain them together I'm wondering if I'd like type A better now, since letting up on the eikon button to hit triangle is a little awkward. I plan on doing NG+ and the score attack stuff eventually so if one ends up being much preferred I'd rather get used to em now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How do I use Odin properly? (last Eikon you get). Seems like its special ability is a lot of messing around for not really much better damage?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The eikon action replaces your weapon and you use that + the abilities to increase the gauge, then you use a charged attack to unleash that Eikon's gimmick. It can do some crazy damage once it's mastered.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

How do I use Odin properly? (last Eikon you get). Seems like its special ability is a lot of messing around for not really much better damage?

There are a few things to note

A) Don't really bother with regular slashes except as filler. The special moves fill it up quickly and if you attack just after a dodge or parry you gdt more effective moves. In fact if you parry and then switch to it during the timeslow you can still do that soecial move.

B) Don't use its special outside of Level 5 or *maybe* level 4. At level 5 it is effective an area-wide instakill for anything without a will bar, massive damage to anything with one and becomes s cinematic move which means it stops the Will Gauge from draining during a stagger.

C) Using special moves gains gauge even if they are Mastered and slotted elsewhere.

D) Its utility move is insanely good. You can use it to cancel any move into a Parry-length time slow which allows you to easily drop a full Gouge combo or Charged Windup

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 28, 2023

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Man the closer you get to Oriflamme the darker the side quests get

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megasabin posted:

2. Did anyone else notice that something was very wrong with the animations for (5th eikon) Clive's Mother during the Twinsides scenes? When she became upset and flailed her arms or swung wildly with the sword, it looked so bizarre. Like the animation was moving twice as fast as everyone else. I guess they ran out of time and she mostly just sits the rest of the game.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. It was pretty wtf

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chomposaur posted:

Also curious if anyone has changed their opinions on the control modes as the game went on and they got more experience with it? I switched to type C initially to make the magic combos easier, but now that I find myself with more eikon abilities and wanting to hot swap to chain them together I'm wondering if I'd like type A better now, since letting up on the eikon button to hit triangle is a little awkward. I plan on doing NG+ and the score attack stuff eventually so if one ends up being much preferred I'd rather get used to em now

I kinda felt the same. There isn't really a perfect control scheme right now unfortunately. Type C makes using magic shots much easier, especially charged magic, but it does make switching Eikons clunkier, especially if you want to do it mid-combo. I also don't love how Triangle is for switching Eikons but R2+Triangle is still one of your abilities. For some reason my brain still stumbles over that sometimes.

I think the more Eikon abilities you have, the less important charged magic is, and if you can get used to magic bursting with Square and Triangle instead of Square and L1 then type A is probably better in the long run.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I just finished the fight with (spoilers after getting the fourth set of eikonic abilities) titan. I, uh, actually didn’t like it. The screen was a mess of particle effects in later stages and it was really hard to tell what was going on. The first phase of the fight was really cool, but the second went on too long and the third just felt unnecessary. I liked the eikon battles before this, even if they felt gratuitous, but not this one.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I feel like that fight definitely overstayed its welcome

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. It was pretty wtf

Pretty sure that was intentional to show how completely unhinged she was becoming

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I feel like that fight definitely overstayed its welcome

I disagree, I was so hyped on that point I would've welcomed another 3 phases lol

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Harrow posted:

I kinda felt the same. There isn't really a perfect control scheme right now unfortunately. Type C makes using magic shots much easier, especially charged magic, but it does make switching Eikons clunkier, especially if you want to do it mid-combo. I also don't love how Triangle is for switching Eikons but R2+Triangle is still one of your abilities. For some reason my brain still stumbles over that sometimes.

I think the more Eikon abilities you have, the less important charged magic is, and if you can get used to magic bursting with Square and Triangle instead of Square and L1 then type A is probably better in the long run.

the second game I've felt justified buying this stupid $200 dualshock edge for - type C with the back triggers set to eikonic feat and dodge has been a gamechanger.

the first game was, of course, theatrhythm

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
If control type C just switched circle and L1 it would be perfect

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Difficulty discourse for this game feels weird to me because I'm playing on action mode and I'd say it feels about as difficult as Monster Hunter or Nioh, instead of the baby's first real time combat game it's getting portrayed to be. Lots of close calls and running out of potions. I've yet to actually die but I've skirted the edge on plenty of fights. Ninjas are the worst. Could be that I'm playing wildly wrong somehow, but I've played plenty of action RPGs (the above, Elden Ring, Stranger of Paradise, etc) and I wouldn't say this game is markedly easier than them by any means.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You beat Nioh without dying?

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Umbrella girl killed me a dozen times or so but I never really died again (to bosses, traps are a different story~) after that hard lesson, no. I mean I'd say FF16 is easier than Bloodborne or Sekiro but is harder than Dark Souls 1 or 2.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Are you a Dark Souls savant because I died countless times in DS1 and 2 and while I find XVI's difficulty comfortable it's miles easier than either of those.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I wouldn't call myself a savant but I have definitely played many hours of them. I'd say that both avoiding attacks is easier in those games and that you can kill boss/elite enemies a lot faster as well.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

That’s just wild to me. It’s about as hard as those games for me after I have hundreds of hours into them, but it’s way easier than my first time through either.

I’m generally more satisfied with the difficulty now. I feel like it’s a little harder than ff7r, but much easier than any souls or niohlike I’ve played. Since the game comes across as a power fantasy, I feel like that’s okay. Clive is not struggling against impossible odds, he’s just straight up the strongest fighter around.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I am Very Bad At Games and I’m finding XVI’s normal difficulty to be pretty fair. I’ve died a few times, usually because I didn’t figure out a baddie’s gimmick the first time around, but I also don’t really feel like it’s been a total walk in the park either.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Xalidur posted:

I wouldn't call myself a savant but I have definitely played many hours of them. I'd say that both avoiding attacks is easier in those games and that you can kill boss/elite enemies a lot faster as well.
I dont think anyone has ever gone through dark souls 1 deathless their first playthrough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I died once to Hellfire during the prologue because I didn't know what I was supposed to be aiming at and then never again, level 31 now. It's quite an easy game, easier than FF7R even. Just cycling through your eikon powers is usually enough to waste everything.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This part with Goetz and the pickpocketing children is making me want to die. I'm not sure I've ever played such a roller coaster of a game like this where the lows are so bad and the highs are some of the coolest poo poo I've ever seen

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Macaluso posted:

This part with Goetz and the pickpocketing children is making me want to die. I'm not sure I've ever played such a roller coaster of a game like this where the lows are so bad and the highs are some of the coolest poo poo I've ever seen

They make up for it by the next section right after being loving incredible

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That has to be a preference thing. I just finished that section myself and the groundedness of it is endearing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that was the part that seriously tested my patience as well. i just went through a sand town and this one isn’t half as good, I spent the last hour gathering ship parts, the empire is on the other side of this loving door, give the endless bandit hunts a rest and let me in, LET ME IIIIIN

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I died a bunch trying to precision dodge poo poo at 30fps. Became less of an issue at 60fps.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

this game's a pretty bad victim of FF14's msq design, except there it was so that they could spread out exp to get you to the new level cap but here it just feels like it's padding for the sake of being able to post "50 hour playtime!" somewhere. I think it's good to have downtime between set pieces but in this game part of that downtime is spending two or three hours in every new town which gets old after a while.

I think my main problem with the setup is that you pick up pretty quickly that exploration is discouraged. Every point of interest on the map will be the target of either a sidequest or a hunt eventually, and all getting there early will get you is a treasure chest with a handful of low tier crafting materials. I think the only time this wasn't the case were the watchtowers in Sanbreque, and even then all that really is are a couple waves of knights and a chest with, again, three blackblood and fifteen gil.

Some endgame quest talk the most interesting quests were the ones that took you to Balmung Dark and Mikkelburg - the former because it felt like a minidungeon ending in a boss fight and the latter just because the village was its own set piece for the quest. I don't think every side quest needed to be like this, but having some more of these spread out through the game would've helped alleviate a lot of the tedium. Balmung Dark was actually exciting because even if it was only a couple hallways it felt like a quest that could only occur here, and not some abandoned desert town or open field like the overwhelming majority of them.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I wouldn't say deaths are the only challenge factor either. In FF16 to deal 25% of a boss' HP bar you need to do multiple magic burst combos, manage your Eikon power CDs so they're all usable during the stagger window, etc. In Dark Souls to deal 25% of a boss' HP you hit R1 a few times. Fights are just much shorter in general.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Vitamean posted:

this game's a pretty bad victim of FF14's msq design, except there it was so that they could spread out exp to get you to the new level cap but here it just feels like it's padding for the sake of being able to post "50 hour playtime!" somewhere. I think it's good to have downtime between set pieces but in this game part of that downtime is spending two or three hours in every new town which gets old after a while.

I think my main problem with the setup is that you pick up pretty quickly that exploration is discouraged. Every point of interest on the map will be the target of either a sidequest or a hunt eventually, and all getting there early will get you is a treasure chest with a handful of low tier crafting materials. I think the only time this wasn't the case were the watchtowers in Sanbreque, and even then all that really is are a couple waves of knights and a chest with, again, three blackblood and fifteen gil.

Some endgame quest talk the most interesting quests were the ones that took you to Balmung Dark and Mikkelburg - the former because it felt like a minidungeon ending in a boss fight and the latter just because the village was its own set piece for the quest. I don't think every side quest needed to be like this, but having some more of these spread out through the game would've helped alleviate a lot of the tedium. Balmung Dark was actually exciting because even if it was only a couple hallways it felt like a quest that could only occur here, and not some abandoned desert town or open field like the overwhelming majority of them.

I mostly agree, though I will say spending 2 or 3 hours in most towns is probably an overestimate. Granted, for good or for ill it definitely *feels* like it takes that long.

re endgame quest talk I felt pretty bad for whoever designed mikkelburg because the quest automatically teleported me away from it at the end. I would have taken a minute to appreciate the cool cultist town you made just for this dumb quest if you let me game :argh:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

No Mods No Masters posted:

I mostly agree, though I will say spending 2 or 3 hours in most towns is probably an overestimate. Granted, for good or for ill it definitely *feels* like it takes that long.

The game would be 10% shorter by excising Clive’s “hand over/take an item” animation alone.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JackDarko posted:

I died a bunch trying to precision dodge poo poo at 30fps. Became less of an issue at 60fps.

Combat is always locked to 60fps :ssh:

Xalidur posted:

I wouldn't say deaths are the only challenge factor either. In FF16 to deal 25% of a boss' HP bar you need to do multiple magic burst combos, manage your Eikon power CDs so they're all usable during the stagger window, etc. In Dark Souls to deal 25% of a boss' HP you hit R1 a few times. Fights are just much shorter in general.

That goes both ways. Nothing in 16 is killing you in a hit or two either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

It us interesting because after FF13 thst is what people said they wanted. There was tons of 'I want downtime and chests even if they have nothing in it and yada yada'

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

At the end of the day, there's no perfect game for everyone.

Except for Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, releasing on Steam June 30th

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

At the end of the day, there's no perfect game for everyone.

Except for Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, releasing on Steam June 30th

But what if Missile and Torgal teamed up?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I don't understand people who want balls to the wall action all the time in their RPGs. I love the down time, walking through areas, talking to characters, doing the side quests, but I'm also the type of person who views narrative as a reward in video games so.

If you treat the pacing like a TV series it makes much more sense. Each bit is an act in a larger play. Play until the climax of an act, put the controller down, and pick it up the next day.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like what makes ff16 relatively unique compared to its contemporaries is just how low key some of the downtime activities are. Like most games have peaks and valleys in their pacing, but rarely to the level of the level of some of the unbelievably mundane chores clive does in certain sidequests. Of course it's partly the ff14 DNA coming through and that's probably the main other example.

Likely everyone will have their own favorite most boring thing clive does in the downtime content, for whatever reason the one that sticks in my mind is the sidequest where you tell the guys to go have a glass of wine at the bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Combat is always locked to 60fps :ssh:

That goes both ways. Nothing in 16 is killing you in a hit or two either.

I just checked and you’re absolutely right. That’s so strange. Thank you for clarifying this.

I wonder what feels different to me about frame-rate. I’m on an LG OLED with VRR on FWIW.