Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

kalel posted:

off the top of my head: static shock, electro, miles morales spiderman

also a lot of black superheroes have the word "black" in the name? black panther, black adam, black goliath

I guess three is a pattern

But how else could the audience tell that they're black!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Has Black Manta ever taken his helmet off?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Black Noir is white in The Boys comic but I guess he's Black in the show

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

literally how he's introduced

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

we already have black superman

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Alan Smithee posted:

literally how he's introduced

Like when you meet him at a party?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

idr it's been a while

he's in a father son mercenary thing

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

kalel posted:

also a lot of black superheroes have the word "black" in the name? black panther, black adam, black goliath

Internet nerd media expert Seanbaby once commented that if Steve Rogers was created as a black character he wouldn't be a captain. He would be "Blackman America" and fight crime in a disco.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

kalel posted:

Black Adam is Egyptian, but not usually portrayed as black.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

kalel posted:

"Electric black super hero" is such a trope that Irredeemable joked about it:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
How did that happen btw? Are there any theories on why "African-American Superhero Has Electrical Powers" became a thing?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

How did that happen btw? Are there any theories on why "African-American Superhero Has Electrical Powers" became a thing?

It was in the post that pretty much started the discussion in the first place:

marshmallow creep posted:

I had heard of this guy, but I didn't know that DC almost used him with complete sincerity until after watching this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsWhxhxuD7s
https://youtu.be/bsWhxhxuD7s

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

According to several articles (and TVTropes who of course have a page for this), it was due to rights issues: Black Lightning was created in the 70s and was one of the first black superheroes. However, due to royalties issues, DC got into the habit of just creating knockoffs whenever they wanted to add him to non comics adaptations, hence stuff like Black Vulcan in Superfriends and Juice in Justice League Unlimited. From that point, other comics just jumped on the trend.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think its mainly because Black Lightning was one of the first black superheroes and DC likes expanding a heroes retinue and supporting cast with younger heroes with similar abilities.

There's also that at the same time companies were adding more black characters to the roster there was a general movement to more grounded origins and studies about bio-electrics were gaining some attention in pop culture.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKbGnzmidsw

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Another longstanding mystery solved. Thanks y'all!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

As a coda to the discussion, you'd think that the "black electric superhero" has finally died down...then you remember that the current most popular black superhero Miles Morales can ALSO shoot electricity from his hands. Funny how he's usually left out of these discussions.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't Electro just in the latest Spider-Man movie?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think its mainly because Black Lightning was one of the first black superheroes and DC likes expanding a heroes retinue and supporting cast with younger heroes with similar abilities.

Black Lightning was also creator owned, and why pay royalties?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wasn't Electro just in the latest Spider-Man movie?
Yeah but the character wasn’t originally black in the comics.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm learning so much.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

As a coda to the discussion, you'd think that the "black electric superhero" has finally died down...then you remember that the current most popular black superhero Miles Morales can ALSO shoot electricity from his hands. Funny how he's usually left out of these discussions.

It's very concerning that 'spider powers' include the ability to turn invisible and shoot electricity.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I imagine it's related to the same thing "spidey sense" refers to, spiders being sensitive to static electricity and magnetic currents or whatever.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Byzantine posted:

It's very concerning that 'spider powers' include the ability to turn invisible and shoot electricity.

Hey, don't worry about the invisible, sleeping people eating, electric shooting, spiders. They're invisible, so it's like they're not even there!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Byzantine posted:

Spiders are stealthy and they bite

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
…the proportional eye beams and ice breath of a spider…

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
His electricity powers are called “Venom” so I think that’s the angle they’re going with

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

RatHat posted:

His electricity powers are called “Venom” so I think that’s the angle they’re going with

That's not an angle, that's not knowing what words mean.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

dr_rat posted:

That's not an angle, that's not knowing what words mean.

I think they're going more for the character--the alien symbiote--not actual venom.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I remember reading a quote from Stan Lee when Miles Morales became ultimate Spiderman, and he said something like, “I think it’s great that they’re doing a black Spiderman. I wouldn’t have killed the other Spiderman. I’d have made the new Spiderman one of his friends, and I’d have given him a name like ‘the Black Spider’ and they would fight crime together before he got his own comic!”

It’s a wonderful quote because that’s exactly what Stan would have done, except his comic would have died in ten issues.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Black Manta was created in the 60s but wasn't unmasked until 1977, when they decided to make him African-American ("Why do you think they call me Black Manta?").

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There's also that at the same time companies were adding more black characters to the roster there was a general movement to more grounded origins and studies about bio-electrics were gaining some attention in pop culture.

AceOfFlames posted:

According to several articles (and TVTropes who of course have a page for this), it was due to rights issues: Black Lightning was created in the 70s and was one of the first black superheroes. However, due to royalties issues, DC got into the habit of just creating knockoffs whenever they wanted to add him to non comics adaptations, hence stuff like Black Vulcan in Superfriends and Juice in Justice League Unlimited. From that point, other comics just jumped on the trend.

It's basically a mix of this and what amounts to a good natured meme about enough unrelated black characters with electric powers both old and new, Storm being another unrelated example going way back, and even Naruto apparently has a country that's majority black and has a lot of people with electric powers. And then there's the Garfield movies version of Electro.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And then there's the Garfield movies version of Electro.

Legit spent a minute googling about Garfield's Pet Force to see what they did for Electro before I realized what you meant lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Legit spent a minute googling about Garfield's Pet Force to see what they did for Electro before I realized what you meant lol

I remember that on the old official Garfield website! So amazingly 90s.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I AM GRANDO posted:

I remember reading a quote from Stan Lee when Miles Morales became ultimate Spiderman, and he said something like, “I think it’s great that they’re doing a black Spiderman. I wouldn’t have killed the other Spiderman. I’d have made the new Spiderman one of his friends, and I’d have given him a name like ‘the Black Spider’ and they would fight crime together before he got his own comic!”

It’s a wonderful quote because that’s exactly what Stan would have done, except his comic would have died in ten issues.

Lol what an amazing quote, and example of crystalized unintentional racism

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

Black Manta was created in the 60s but wasn't unmasked until 1977, when they decided to make him African-American ("Why do you think they call me Black Manta?").

It was a stupid question to ask for a guy who dresses in black.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Black Canary was a white lady but then they made her black in the Harley Quinn movie so I don’t know what’s up now.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Black Manta was my fav part of Aquaman, everything about him, and him not being in the last act absolutely hurt the film

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
They should give Spider-Man's Black Cat electric powers, no reasons given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

are there any white superheroes with "white" in the name? I can't think of any