Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Shard posted:

Reviewers are morons. This game isn't like this other game! But it was trying to be something else - like what people remember the games from the late 90s playing like. I DON'T CARE 3/10 IT LOOKS LIKE POOP!

you are unreasonably mad that people don't like a video game as much as you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Fight Forever currently has a lot of warts that aren't gameplay-related, but reviewers have to review it as though the game is what it is out of the box, and a $60 wrestling game lacking key features of the promotion it is built on and CAW options that would have been considered unacceptable and outdated a decade ago is not going to be well-reviewed, nor should it really be?

All the reviews point out that there's a lot of potential due to the gameplay itself being really strong, so we'll just have to see if those problems get fixed sooner rather than later.

That's fair but I'm also getting flashbacks of the time when online multiplayer just became more common with console games and a lot of review scores would be based on whether the game features online multiplayer or not. This then led to a of a bunch of half-rear end online multiplayer being implemented into games that don't need them, which then led to critics writing about how bad they were. What I'm saying is maybe it doesn't need in-depth career mode and CAW to be considered good enough if the core gameplay is fun? I dunno, maybe it's not that fun, I haven't gotten my copy yet.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Fight Forever currently has a lot of warts that aren't gameplay-related, but reviewers have to review it as though the game is what it is out of the box, and a $60 wrestling game lacking key features of the promotion it is built on and CAW options that would have been considered unacceptable and outdated a decade ago is not going to be well-reviewed, nor should it really be?

All the reviews point out that there's a lot of potential due to the gameplay itself being really strong, so we'll just have to see if those problems get fixed sooner rather than later.

these two reviews paint the full picture 4 me

ill grab it on sale later, mayhaps. seems deece

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I am of the opinion that as a paying customer I will almost certainly enjoy the matches that I have while also wishing that FTR or Keith Lee or Claudio or any of my other faves were shipped or that trios could happen. I feel that this is my right as someone who has bought TK's house.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I would give this game a 7/10, and that's because I want more match types.

Love the gameplay, love how the blood stains the mat, playing online actually works.

It's weighty, there's heft to the wrestlers, smaller wrestlers are quicker, etc.

In 2K games, every wrestlers felt the same and moved the same, here you can feel a difference.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Long-Time Lurker posted:

I've never played the 2k games but I thought those games were supposed to be bad based on how often wrestling fans whine about them? Some of these reviews are making it sound like they are the king of wrestling games. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those things where gamers enjoy the game more than the critics.

They went from bad to awful to 2K23 being pretty good.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

jackofarcades posted:

They went from bad to awful to 2K23 being pretty good.

2k23 is still pretty bad.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I havent played 2k23 but I got 2k22 for $5 and had a few chuckles at the dumb podcast beef myrise stories and powerbombing people from the ring to the floor whenever I wanted idk

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

Long-Time Lurker posted:

What I'm saying is maybe it doesn't need in-depth career mode and CAW to be considered good enough if the core gameplay is fun?

I think you risk some sales without CAW. It's pretty much mandatory.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

You can pull a propane tank out from under the ring and chuck it into the ring at people and it will explode when it hits them, 10/10 no notes

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

They've put "Jyushin" "Thunder" and "Liger" as announcable options but I can't make it say all of them

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think not being able to have more than 4 wrestlers in the ring hammers home that "it's no mercy" but in the worst ways too i.e. inexplicable limitations on things that even a dreamcast game had

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I played a few matches over the past hour, and it's exactly what I wanted the game to be. It's fun, and I was able to pick it up and play without doing a slog through tutorials.

Does it have its limitations? Sure. I think the roster is the biggest limiting factor of the game right now. But I see them adding even more DLC to this game if they really are going to release one base game and constantly update it.

I don't mind the missing match modes yet, but there is enough there to have a lot of fun with it.

DLC Inc posted:

I think not being able to have more than 4 wrestlers in the ring hammers home that "it's no mercy" but in the worst ways too i.e. inexplicable limitations on things that even a dreamcast game had

I don't mind 4 people in the ring at once, because I never found having 8 people in the ring in a video game to actually improve the experience. At least right now I don't see it as a deal breaker at all. The core gameplay is amazing to me and has been what I wanted for years

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shard posted:

Reviewers are morons. This game isn't like this other game! But it was trying to be something else - like what people remember the games from the late 90s playing like. I DON'T CARE 3/10 IT LOOKS LIKE POOP!

Don't pay attention to the numbers, read the actual reviews. The numbers are made up poo poo an editor slaps on at the end

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Gumball Gumption posted:

Don't pay attention to the numbers, read the actual reviews. The numbers are made up poo poo an editor slaps on at the end

The words are not even telling me that the reviewers get it

From the IGN Review

quote:

Though it may seem intuitive that taking large amounts of damage over time will make you worse for wear, it’s frustrating that there’s nothing telling you exactly where you stand at all times.

Yeah, this isn't a fighting game with a health bar. Kick outs shouldn't be based on if you accurately pull off the timing on the mini game.

It's weird that people praised the N64 era games for so long, and now that it's here the reviews are like "Well, it's not like WWE2K"

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

It's okay that this game isn't perfect. Or even that great. I hope that it does well because I think a Fight Forever 2 with new stuff could be a banger. The critics are right, though. The silly mini games could have been cut to spend more time on match types (like there's not even a cage and exploding barb wire is not great), sharing CAWs online (this is wild that it's not a thing. Like, generate a recipe code or something), or even an expanded roster (missing most of the tag division is ridiculous).

I do agree the shorter entrances are bad (this should be an option). The gameplay is cool and you can do some weird and kooky stuff. The graphics are perfectly cromulent. It just feels kinda empty.

The comparisons are weird. This is not a worse 2K game. This is a more fun to play MDickie game. I'm enjoying it but I also don't think I'll come back to it much.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

The game is a disappointment and feels clunky. Grapples on shorter characters miss in a weird way a lot and everything feels a half second delayed from pressing the button.

Career mode is pretty fun and has a Yakuza like charm to it, but the gameplay itself needs work.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The existence of Stadium Stampede mode is kinda funny to me, given the rest of the game's design ideology. Trios matches? Hardly trad. Community Creations? Can't be done, never has. Shipping the actual roster? Not really what the founders wanted is it?

Anyway here's the live service fortnite game. Daily sale, kiddos! 80 loot crates for the price of 100!

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Cartridgeblowers posted:

The comparisons are weird. This is not a worse 2K game. This is a more fun to play MDickie game. I'm enjoying it but I also don't think I'll come back to it much.

Nothing is more fun than MDickie

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Astro7x posted:

The words are not even telling me that the reviewers get it

From the IGN Review

Yeah, this isn't a fighting game with a health bar. Kick outs shouldn't be based on if you accurately pull off the timing on the mini game.

It's weird that people praised the N64 era games for so long, and now that it's here the reviews are like "Well, it's not like WWE2K"

It's kind of annoying that you can't tell except when your character just stuck on the ground forever. Then you know that the damage is bad.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Won tag belts with hangman and then superkicked him after because he stole my luggage.

10/10, would team up again.

There's damage indicators that flash when hit,where the momentum bar is and there's different states like disoriented that pop up too.

Unless everyone wants a always on screen damage indicator like the old WWE games had?🤔

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I haven't been able to play yet but I'm feeling unsurprised by the reviews so far. It's the first game so it's not going to have everything and it makes sense that they would make the gameplay the focus (which seems to be the constant in the reviews) while letting the other stuff slip a bit. If I want an N64-style game where I can pick it up with my non-wrestling friends and just have a dumb poo poo battle royale or death match, it sounds like I got it – and that IS exactly what I wanted. Just a game that's easy and fun to play without having to remember how to do everything. Simple buttons, simple combinations, cool looking animations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Astro7x posted:

How many of the reviewers were even alive when WCW/nWo Revenge came out? Which is a harrowing question to ask because I was still in high school when it came out but the passage of time is relentless. If you aren't either old enough to have played the game on the N64 20ish years ago, or care enough about wrestling games to be willing to emulate them, well, you probably don't know that there's any way to make a wrestling game other than the lifeless WWE games. You certainly don't share the fondness of me or you for Revenge or No Mercy. What I'm saying is there's every possibility that fans wanting a wrestling game that doesn't play like WWE games & reviewers not getting what it's going for aren't mutually exclusive.

Eat My Fuc posted:

The game is a disappointment and feels clunky. Grapples on shorter characters miss in a weird way a lot

Sounds like if Markus Stunt was in there he'd be like playing Oddjob in Goldeneye multiplayer

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Here's where the review scores really come in:

To say "DLC is coming!' means that at the very least right now this game isn't great. You can't rate it on a prospective future. Additionally this is a full price game when really it should be $40 tops - maybe $30 even. The rating is presumably for consumers. Obviously if you love No Mercy or AEW your own personal rating might be skewed. I do like AEW - if this were, say, an NJPW game I would probably give it a lot less time because I don't super care about Japanese wrestling.

Again y'all, it's okay that it's not perfect. I don't think this is as fun of a game as 2K23. It'll be okay. I hope they make a sequel.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

projecthalaxy posted:

The existence of Stadium Stampede mode is kinda funny to me, given the rest of the game's design ideology. Trios matches? Hardly trad. Community Creations? Can't be done, never has. Shipping the actual roster? Not really what the founders wanted is it?

Anyway here's the live service fortnite game. Daily sale, kiddos! 80 loot crates for the price of 100!

There’s loot crates?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

JUNGLE BOY posted:

There’s loot crates?

I mean probably. That's the point of those games and AEW clearly isn't shy about monetizing the game post purchase so why on earth wouldn't there be. Makes no difference to me, I'm not planning to play it.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Just had a banger of a match as Jumbo in vpw2 the only wrestling video game ill play ever.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

projecthalaxy posted:

I mean probably. That's the point of those games and AEW clearly isn't shy about monetizing the game post purchase so why on earth wouldn't there be. Makes no difference to me, I'm not planning to play it.

It’s the first I’ve heard of it, thank you

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Cartridgeblowers posted:

if this were, say, an NJPW game I would probably give it a lot less time because I don't super care about Japanese wrestling.

Reminds me of why I really like the original Mortal Kombat and Pokemon games, but can't get into them once they started adding tons and tons of character I didn't care about.

Fight Forever has like 12 people that casual fans know from WWE, and they will likely view the rest of the roster the same way

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

projecthalaxy posted:

Hold up. Are you upset that you THINK they are going to add loot crates to the game?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

None of that is actually in the game yet and is something that might be announced later

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also they are doing that poo poo because video games are an impossible industry and the economics of selling them make no sense so the only way to produce games and make money is by adding a bunch of stuff that you can sell. Games are not viable as a product you sell once and then never make another dollar from.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Astro7x posted:

Hold up. Are you upset that you THINK they are going to add loot crates to the game?

you're asking this to someone who's been posting itt like Tony Khan personally invented the concept of locking characters behind DLC and deluxe editions

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The337th posted:

you're asking this to someone who's been posting itt like Tony Khan personally invented the concept of locking characters behind DLC and deluxe editions

yeah probably

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Astro7x posted:

Posting about AEW involves a heavy dose of imagining something in your head then getting angry if it happens. Or sometimes if it doesn't happen. Why should the videogame be any different?

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

CM Punk asked me to be his debut match on rampage. Hit destino then elbow drop to win, 10/10, would elbow drop those balls anytime.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
No problem with game reviewers or their opinions - except those who trashed MDickie games in their reviews of AEW: Fight Forever. Sorry you're mad about the AEW game but don't talk trash about the king.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Mea culpa on the loot boxes, i was wrong. It's still amusing that the game (which i have already bought and would be playing if amazon was not holding it hostage) is so retro but also has fortnite stapled on.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
My only real beef so far is that outfits are gender-locked so I can’t make the burly catboy maid that I originally envisioned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I appreciate that for Ruby Soho, Rukus follows in the grand tradition of wrestling themes that are juuuust legally distinct enough to not be sued for.