Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Flyinglemur posted:

Uh, Apollo 13 was a movie. This is real life.

Idiot

Oh sure, break my heart and crush my dreams.

My God - did we even land on the moon or was that just Hollywood too?

How high up does this go?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Not 238,900 miles, I'll tell you that much!

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Noble here. Most of the women I know don't want command. I think I know two men who want it. Since arriving in Spain I've lost 20 lbs due to stress. DH sucks. Why would ANYONE want this? I knew that I didn't want command after what the Navy did to Bryce. I sure as gently caress don't want it now.

The PTSD doesn't help of course, but the DH job is terrible. Just glad that I have a CoC that understands my sailors cannot fix the problems we have in Engineering right now.

Also got to meet another Goon a few weeks ago! That was actually pretty cool.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

TVS you are S Tier Navy person and if you are that hard up that is a thing to be said.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

The Valley Stared posted:

Noble here. Most of the women I know don't want command. I think I know two men who want it. Since arriving in Spain I've lost 20 lbs due to stress. DH sucks. Why would ANYONE want this? I knew that I didn't want command after what the Navy did to Bryce. I sure as gently caress don't want it now.

The PTSD doesn't help of course, but the DH job is terrible. Just glad that I have a CoC that understands my sailors cannot fix the problems we have in Engineering right now.

Also got to meet another Goon a few weeks ago! That was actually pretty cool.

Always kinda wanted to know what happens when you get asked to do something that is literally or physically impossible and actual tell the CO that it's impossible.

Cuz most leadership seems not say that. Seems yours at least understands a bit

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
In the corporate world, you have to be positive about it and steer their thinking in such a way that they have a brilliant idea that is what you wanted to do the whole time.

It’s a thorough pain in the rear end.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

FrozenVent posted:

In the corporate world, you have to be positive about it and steer their thinking in such a way that they have a brilliant idea that is what you wanted to do the whole time.

This is why I never went into the private sector because gently caress if I'm going to waste brain power trying to make my boss feel good about themself.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Found something cool on Facebook marketplace last night: Someone's qual notes for the USS G-1, 1918. There's about 12 pages of notes and diagrams.

Lots of interesting stuff in here, like how surfaced speed is higher than submerged. My wife asked if I was worried that any of it was classified so I reminded her that it's over a hundred years old.

I looked the boat up and it has a very cool history. After WW1 it was turned into a teaching vessel and was used for, among other things, training STSesses.

$40 well spent.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What an awesome artifact.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Man, they really used to teach the hell out of handwriting.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Flyinglemur posted:

Lots of interesting stuff in here, like how surfaced speed is higher than submerged.

Yup, that's a feature of submarines until towards the end of WWII when the Germans introduced the Type XXI, which were arguably the first true submarines in that they were designed to operate submerged most of the time rather than being a surface vessel that could submerge.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Flyinglemur posted:

Found something cool on Facebook marketplace last night: Someone's qual notes for the USS G-1, 1918. There's about 12 pages of notes and diagrams.

Lots of interesting stuff in here, like how surfaced speed is higher than submerged. My wife asked if I was worried that any of it was classified so I reminded her that it's over a hundred years old.

I looked the boat up and it has a very cool history. After WW1 it was turned into a teaching vessel and was used for, among other things, training STSesses.

$40 well spent.

Better notes and drawings than I had to do. The writing is super similar to how my grandpa wrote as well. Nice stuff.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

One of the most tangible improvements to my career was when I read How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. Feels slightly scummy and manipulative, but poo poo, can't argue with results.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

One of the most tangible improvements to my career was when I read How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. Feels slightly scummy and manipulative, but poo poo, can't argue with results.

I gotta finally finish that book.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

One day left in Hawaii. So happy to be done for the year with my requirements.
Think I’ll rock a mohawk for the rest of summer.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

There's 1 easy step to never having to worry about Reserve requirements ever again...

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Elviscat posted:

There's 1 easy step to never having to worry about Reserve requirements ever again...

:420: ?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Yesterday was the 12th anniversary of my retirement (ceremony) and the pictures that popped up on my memories for it made me smile because I had Pittsburgh Penguin liberty cuffs sewn into my Blues. I'm a loving badass.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

You don't even have to do that, you can just stop showing up to the reserves.

Just hit da bricks.

Acrually I dunno if that'd be smart for a GS to do, but for non government workers it works, and I think you can just opt-out of the reserves any 'ol time you want?

I had an AF reserve guy who I hot-potatoed to another supervisor the second I could, that dude converted some of his active duty time to reserve time, then just went AWOL, they 100% could have recalled him to active and NJPd his rear end, but no one cared enough.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Elviscat posted:

You don't even have to do that, you can just stop showing up to the reserves.

Just hit da bricks.

Acrually I dunno if that'd be smart for a GS to do, but for non government workers it works, and I think you can just opt-out of the reserves any 'ol time you want?

I had an AF reserve guy who I hot-potatoed to another supervisor the second I could, that dude converted some of his active duty time to reserve time, then just went AWOL, they 100% could have recalled him to active and NJPd his rear end, but no one cared enough.

After a few months of no contact they just ADSEP you.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

After a few months of no contact they just ADSEP you.

Yeah, I had to finally get a junior Sailor to get back to me as I left the message saying "I don't care if you want out of the reserve, I just need to know you aren't dead," and he finally texted me back

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I mean I guess I could but I still enjoy this stuff.
The command is so top heavy I’m doing mindless work I’d normally entrust to an e1-3 because there simply a giant backlog of labor.
Just need to bring my family out next time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Spending a month in Hawaii on the Navy's dime. What a life

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also I can confirm that TVS is at least three times as cool as you already think.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

M_Gargantua posted:

Also I can confirm that TVS is at least three times as cool as you already think.

Three times zero...

(Just kidding)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

TVS?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

The Valley Stared

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

TheWeedNumber posted:

The Valley Stared

Goddamnit I knew that. >.<

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Three times zero...

(Just kidding)

Look, we all can't be cool like M_Gargantua (who is awesome!)

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
im probably gonna be in DC for grad school so putting out the all hands notice

enlisted or officer, USN or UMSC, need that tricare while I get a doctorate, holla holla

e: also a power of attorney so i can spend all your poo poo on legos or something

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I was the LegalO on my first two ships, and I’ll never forget one of my A-gang ENs coming to me before deployment looking to get a general power of attorney for his wife.

The same wife that he told me was divorcing him 3 months earlier. “Oh. She’s a lawyer and promised to make sure all my stuff gets put into storage.” :shepspends:

That was fun having to sit down a guy 12 years older than me and explain how bad of an idea that is.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

AlternateNu posted:

I was the LegalO on my first two ships, and I’ll never forget one of my A-gang ENs coming to me before deployment looking to get a general power of attorney for his wife.

The same wife that he told me was divorcing him 3 months earlier. “Oh. She’s a lawyer and promised to make sure all my stuff gets put into storage.” :shepspends:

That was fun having to sit down a guy 12 years older than me and explain how bad of an idea that is.

Bro just find me a Lieutenant or a petty officer 1st class with this type of energy. I need love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEUX-HYRtUA

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

AlternateNu posted:

Had he never watched AFN?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mghxZzWVO7A

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

loving lol. Never saw that one.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nuke CrabDad.

Rest of the replies are along the same lines.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

loving lol. Never saw that one.

I've been fleeced is canonical. I gave someone a loving Av of it.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Elviscat posted:

Nuke CrabDad.

Rest of the replies are along the same lines.

sounds like a job for my new avatar
Need a sip crab dad?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
God those were the glory days of "we don't give a poo poo, have some memes before their time" ads on afn. It could also be nostalgia about hangover fueled workdays in Japan.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Great job PACFLT PAOs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

Great job PACFLT PAOs

Did they mess up the ship silhouette again