Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Skip level means your boss' boss. They should be mentioning them at least every sprint, either during the planning or the retrospective, or whatever planning/disaster pick up the pieces meetings you have, however often you decide to have them.

"Gerald, the director/senior manager of the Underwater Weaving Widget Development group, said in our scrum of scrums that they want to switch focus to internal customers that deal with the product side of blah, so next month the tickets will be focused on that" -Your boss/tech lead

Your skip level is Gerald

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i think op knows what it means and is just in an org so broken that it isn't apparent. not knowing isn't :dogstare:worthy, but that kind of organizational dysfunction is

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Should've gone with grandboss.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

and then it took two weeks before I stopped thinking about bad things that happened to me at work constantly while lying in bed.

I remember some years back when burnout as a real thing came up that it took two weeks (like, eleven days?) to finally ease out of it. I feel like the breadth and depth of burnout has expanded since then, but I thought you pointing out two weeks was very coincidental.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Longer it burns the longer it takes for the ash to coalesce into functional human. Been about two years after five of 24/7 ops for me. I can mostly feed myself, mostly.
poo poo is no joke. Look out for number one.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Falcon2001 posted:

Extremely Useful Advice
Thanks again, this is super helpful.

Regarding my manager, I'm reading the tea leaves on an imminent reorg (with an open leadership req), & I don't expect he'll still be my manager in 6 months. However, there's still a lot of good advice there on how to handle my expectations of management, rather than simply trying to live with whatever they choose to pass down.

I do have ad-hoc communication with my skip level that works out to every two or three months, & he is aware of some specific issues on the team. I do have to prioritize pretty hard though in how I choose what to raise, since I don't get that much time with him.

Falcon2001 posted:

Any business process that revolves around people working regular 80 hour weeks is already a failure waiting to happen. I assume you are all salaried, so yeah, there's gonna be crunch times/etc around major events where people have to put in extra time in most companies, but you're just robbing from yourself when you work hours like that, so any time you start doing it regularly it's a surefire sign of failures starting to come down the pipe. This is absolutely something where you should be vocal about it, because surprise surprise the consequences are a lot of stuff you've been talking about, like people getting overwhelmed and burned out and ineffective.
I certainly don't work those hours -- we're a primarily remote team & I hold it to a steady 40 hrs/week in most cases. Slightly less if you subtract burnout-induced "sitting at desk and staring at the wall" hrs, more if you add "bad dreams about poo poo at work."
It's hard to truly get a handle on what hrs some of my other, remote team members are putting in, 80 is likely a bad over-estimate from me, but I would not be surprised at a steady 55-60 for some people, which is definitely bad, just not 80hr/wk bad.

Falcon2001 posted:

Basically every single book about managing software development workflows nails this point home in one form or another; you'd be hard pressed to find any written resource that doesn't list requirements gathering and solidifying as important.

One thing you can do on this, is look backwards and start pulling together examples of where this has cost your company time and money. For example, I wasted a month on a project on my current team because my lead was being handwavy about the requirements and I didn't have enough comfort to push back on it yet. We ended up having to drop the feature entirely once we realized that his expectations were wildly different than the two sentence blurb in the task, and I wasted a month figuring that out - and now I use that experience as a direct example for why we need to be clearer on requirements.

Other places to find this sort of waste would be projects that never get delivered, or have massive changes in scope or scale. You can pretty quickly start assigning actual cash numbers to that, too - or at least engineering hours, which starts talking the language of management.

One note: Be careful not to mistake 'we didn't know X at all and it surprised us' with a lack of requirements. Sometimes stuff will surprise you and you'll have to pivot, which is why your requirements can't ever be absolutely set in stone, but you do need to have some basic level of 'the person working on this will output something that the requestor expects'.

Extra note: This also sometimes requires senior people to be able to identify and call out bullshit like the demo-slinger. "We're writing code that's going to take us 2-3x as long to expand or improve on later" is the sort of thing managers should be taking seriously, unless you're specifically writing proof of concept or demo stuff. Nothing wrong with writing lovely demos/POCs, to be clear: management just have to understand there's a tradeoff.

So this is a part I have been thinking about a lot. Demo-slinger came to DS from a hard SWE background without any complex scientific/experimental project background. He is actually pretty good at scaling the hard structural type requirements to get something not technically falling over at scale in prod. This is a tremendously valuable skill that I respect quite a lot, and explains why he has gotten the position he did. However, for DS products, there is a bifurcation between delivering the proper form of the output, and delivering the proper informational content of the output.

For example, a requirements set of the sort of "output semi-plausible text loosely related to (topic) on demand to X # of users with Y latency" is the sort of description we do coalesce on relatively early on in the project, and is the sort of thing he can deliver on quite well. However, you really don't need a DS team anywhere near that sort of project these days, there's nothing for us to ADD to. Where our DS team excels is when we are expected to figure out what, beyond "fast returned text" and identify what you actually want it to SAY. What kinds of error classifications are even possible, what is the business appetite for accepting some of those, providing user training for avoiding others, and which ones are absolutely unacceptable. And how do you measure rates for any of that, both before it gets to prod & also during maintenance phases. That's the space where there's very little appetite to get more clarity up front, and because we do quickly come up with some set of form requirements, it does appear to management that we are following best practices and have written direction to work towards.

And that brings me to the comments on productivity & deadlines:

Falcon2001 posted:

I guarantee that somewhere your management probably cares about loss of productivity and failure to meet deadlines, and I also guarantee that most of them don't give a poo poo about burnout until you start talking about it in terms of productivity and failure to meet deadlines. You can sometimes make an emotional appeal when something sucks hard enough, but the cold hard truth of business is that if you can't represent a problem in the form of cost savings or efficiency gains or ability to deliver X thing, you have a huge uphill battle to getting those changes made.
Because of my above-defined separation between form & content, I'm confident we will be delivering something on time out the door for prod. It will appear plausible on a surface level examination, but we won't even fully understand what it even needed to deliver on from an actual user requirements on CONTENT standpoint. Nevertheless, it will get out the door and users will be tasked with incorporating it somehow. Then we are more in the situation of, did the product that was delivered actually produce value. That's slightly different than did it exist at all, and is a much longer story to play out. I do kinda worry that in the event a high-profile project gets kicked back for not ultimately working, our DS team get blamed for not delivering on the "last mile," when the "heavy lifting" was done to hook up the end-to-end scaffolding at scale to output text quickly. When in reality, delivering the proper info content is not a tiny little detail that can be added on at the end, but a foundational requirement that feeds all the way up and down the entire structure of the solution.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Ah, it sounds like I might have the wrong idea then. I haven't worked closely with a data science team so ill trust that you're right on all that.

Are the "users" implementing your products internal or external to your company?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Startyde posted:

Longer it burns the longer it takes for the ash to coalesce into functional human. Been about two years after five of 24/7 ops for me. I can mostly feed myself, mostly.
poo poo is no joke. Look out for number one.

Yeah, recovery time is going to depend heavily on the specifics of your situation. There's no timeline or schedule on recovering, and also odds are you will never achieve the same level of sustained productivity that you had before burnout occurred. The best strategy I know of is to take each day as it comes, and to try to make sure you have a cushion so you can go easy on yourself when you need to.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Falcon2001 posted:

Ah, it sounds like I might have the wrong idea then. I haven't worked closely with a data science team so ill trust that you're right on all that.

Are the "users" implementing your products internal or external to your company?

The users are internal, at least on the current project. There was a somewhat similar big project that crashed and burned 2 years ago for somewhat similar reasons, but like all large projects that struggle, there were multiple interacting things that went wrong. The lessons that have been learned don't touch the types of risks that I see repeated in these new projects.

Honestly, I think this might be a case where I can't completely save management from learning from consequences, but that we eventually will have enough cases to point to that we can pull out the general principles that are needed for success.

Also somewhat frustrating from a "told you so" way, but I suspect I won't even ever get that kind of satisfaction either; these are going to be the sorts of lessons learned in a sequence of face-saving agile pivots over the course of the next couple years. If I stick around, I probably can help craft some of those directions since I do have pretty good relationships with product leaders. Just because I think I see what's coming, doesn't mean that I can't feed in my preferred conclusion with a "who could possibly have foreseen!!" tone that will probably be very welcome at some future points.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

+1 reorg :laffo:

Relatively minor. Another team is getting partly rolled into ours. Closer in scope than previous teams, so at least it makes some sense. +1 employee, so the team will be :airquote:fine:airquote: without me.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 27, 2023

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I would assume that tech as a whole is in a "Fortunately the bad days are over ... Now it's time for the even worse days" situation. How you approach this IMO depends alot on where you are in your career and what your life situation is. I myself am at staff level with a mortgage and a toddler and enough unvested RSUs to keep my TC floating along for a few years if new awards tank. In my position I have good reason to put up with a few years of BS. If you are early career, young and with no attachments? I don't see any reason to grind it out under organizational BS when you could try the waters somewhere else and find a path that is more suited to you.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I'm seriously considering trying somewhere much smaller next time, if only for the change of pace from a decade and a half at big tech. Not a startup or tiny shop, but something smaller than 'the largest engineering company on the planet' might be nice.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Falcon2001 posted:

I'm seriously considering trying somewhere much smaller next time, if only for the change of pace from a decade and a half at big tech. Not a startup or tiny shop, but something smaller than 'the largest engineering company on the planet' might be nice.
For all the problems that Personalities cause in big tech shops, I'm growing convinced that the ones caused by Non-Personalities in midsize shops are frequently worse

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
putertouchin is a creative endeavor, but for economic and weird other reasons 90% of it gets done in vast corps and orgs and stuff. i dont think the insanity is really extricable from the basic nature of touchin

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Vulture Culture posted:

For all the problems that Personalities cause in big tech shops, I'm growing convinced that the ones caused by Non-Personalities in midsize shops are frequently worse

You mean like people who just don't care or people who just poo poo out tickets?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Manager officially started a support check-in! So it sounds like he’s serious about this and started a paper trail.

Support check-ins are a new thing at Google and apparently reports of them are rising across the org. I have no idea if they’re meant to be “hey, everything alright?” or a pre-PIP.

Either way, I am still interviewing for different teams, and am prepared to find a new company altogether if this goes as south as I think it will. Given my manager’s unconvincing points in my 1-on-1, I don’t trust that he’s not just finding a way to get rid of me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Stack ranking :toot:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I prefer rack stanking

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m not gonna lie, Google may have convinced me to retire from software. At the very least, I don’t have much confidence in tech as a career anymore.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Computers suck and I get my personal satisfaction from chasing rare tanks around the globe. Sadly, my computer touching provides me with the money and delicious prescription drugs that make me not die.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pollyanna posted:

I’m not gonna lie, Google may have convinced me to retire from software. At the very least, I don’t have much confidence in tech as a career anymore.

Yeah, I've been wondering what else I might be "can live comfortably" good at for a while now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah unfortunately writing terraform and tweaking templating engines and writing the wrappers that go around them is the only thing I have found that can financially satisfy my hobbies.

If my hobbies were knitting and ultimate frisbee I'd probably be a nursing assistant chowing down on anti malarials working for doctors without borders or something.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

why not try ultimate frisbee and knitting? that's an odd way to look at the set of things you enjoy

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm pretty deeply committed to boats at this point.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've been shopping around to see if I can find a nice cheap place to live, so I don't have to do computer touching any more. The more time I spent on hunting for a new job (in software), the less enthusiastic I was about actually having a new job.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I don't think computer touching is the problem though, it's capitalism. Source: have had other jobs.

If you can support yourself off your hobby, that's the ticket, although it stops feeling like a hobby pretty quick when there's the pressure of supporting your family behind it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I don't think computer touching is the problem though, it's capitalism. Source: have had other jobs.

If you can support yourself off your hobby, that's the ticket, although it stops feeling like a hobby pretty quick when there's the pressure of supporting your family behind it.

The real trick is having enough wealth to not give a poo poo. And computer touching is a decent path to that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

SurgicalOntologist posted:

For sure, the idea of trying to make a living off of, say, woodworking, is also distressing. These days I'm mostly just very tired.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Since we're all sharing: my current goal is to save up for FI (financial independence, which I think is around $2M in savings for most areas in the USA, but $4M for urban area or other nice areas?) and then live off the interest as a teacher in a public school so I can help people do what I just did but for whatever their generation's stuff will be. That way I don't _have_ to put up with peoples' crap if I don't want to and can just focus on being good at teaching. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

edit: I'm gonna very much be the cool teacher. Because I'll have my living expenses taken care of with the interest money, I can use the teacher's salary for pizza parties, field trips, food for the poor kids, and then go on cool vacations of my own during the Summer breaks. I got it all planned out. I just need to save up the money, that's all.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 28, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Since we're all sharing: my current goal is to save up for FI (financial independence, which I think is around $2M in savings for most areas in the USA, but $4M for urban area or other nice areas?) and then live off the interest as a teacher in a public school so I can help people do what I just did but for whatever their generation's stuff will be. That way I don't _have_ to put up with peoples' crap if I don't want to and can just focus on being good at teaching. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Being a public school teacher in the US because you don't want to eat poo poo.

I feel like you got indoctrinated into a very strange YouTube scam.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Love Stole the Day posted:

edit: I'm gonna very much be the cool teacher. Because I'll have my living expenses taken care of with the interest money, I can use the teacher's salary for pizza parties, field trips, food for the poor kids, and then go on cool vacations during the Summer breaks. I got it all planned out. I just need to save up the money, that's all.

I know someone who did this and they quickly turned into your typical "kids these days are the worst!" crank.

By "this" I mean got into teaching for noble high-minded reasons.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I might be interested in teaching, but not in the public school system. If you think game developers have it bad, teachers have it way worse. Not only are they being abused because they're passionate about their jobs, but also they're encouraged to develop martyr complexes because they're providing a critical service to oftentimes vulnerable children.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t know what I really want in life, and my time in computer touching has been spent trying to get as financially secure as possible (which to be fair has gone well enough so far). I basically don’t exist otherwise.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
drat, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that actually still enjoys development.

Though, not doing the actual coding part of the job for work has allowed me to enjoy it more as a hobby. So I guess there's that.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i still like it but my secret is to peace out when a company gets to 100 peeps tops, usually 50

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Covid was very effective at revealing how many/most parents utilize public schools

If you want to do a social good go get yourself a $15 bottle of doxycycline, pair of knitting needles and enlist with doctors without borders

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
FYI I was a teacher 10+ years ago and was pretty good at it, please don't dreamshame thanks

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Engineering rules and is probably the best place to work, all things considered, although there is a wide standard deviation and some engineers would get dropped from other jobs immediately for the poo poo they do.

Teaching is great, too, but if I had a choice I would work with a voluntary club. Some kind of tech for non-profits thing would be good too.

Sorry that google is bad, but I hope you can take what you learned and find someplace better in the future.

kayakyakr posted:

drat, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that actually still enjoys development.

Though, not doing the actual coding part of the job for work has allowed me to enjoy it more as a hobby. So I guess there's that.

:hfive:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Coding is fun and I think most other knowledge work jobs are much worse. From what I can glean from my wife's job it's just Oops! All Meetings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Writing code for yourself is so much better than writing code for someone else.