Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

"Позвонил Президент Беларуси, и Евгений Пригожин сразу снял трубку, насколько я знаю, разговор был сложный. Там сразу выпалили такое, мама не горюй. Разговор был тяжелый достаточно. Президент Беларуси изложил определенный план, согласованный с Президентом России, ну и был такой разговор, как мне передавали, мужской", - подчеркнул Вадим Гигин.

You can translate it as masculine or manly, depending on the writing style you're using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Lmao thanks for the input, Joe.

I can relate, there's a part of my brain that figures "very masculine phone call" is probably a weird translation of something that means "man to man talk", but then another part of my brain says "shut up nerd, let's party"

Pirgozhin seemed to be having a good time in Rostov, but maybe Batka cracked a keg right after everyone was already done with their Big Hits. Maybe CSIS will have a report on this.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/vicktop55/status/1674072231742169093?t=2tRqTi6lG1izN4YmJWKMNA&s=19

Not sure about the source but if this isn't a poo poo post then this seems, uh, not good

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
trump wanted to dissolve nato right

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If they want to die, well, that's their choice.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

samogonka posted:

suddenly nazis popping up everywhere in Europe??? Surely, this has nothing to do with the widespread normalisation of nazis in Ukraine

Nazis have been making inroads in Europe for well over a decade now. Maybe this wouldn't have happened if they didn't win the war.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

dieselfruit posted:

https://twitter.com/vicktop55/status/1674072231742169093?t=2tRqTi6lG1izN4YmJWKMNA&s=19

Not sure about the source but if this isn't a poo poo post then this seems, uh, not good

This was always the predicted logical next step when Ukraine lost the ability to effectively contest and defend the front line.

Depending on how you categorize the tens of thousands of polish "volunteers" that have served in the Ukraine the Polish army has been in Ukraine almost since the start of the conflict. Ukraine's allies may be looking for an off-ramp but they don't want that to be the complete collapse of the Ukrainian army and the government fleeing the country.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

designed to be lightweight, but as section 5 indicates, so much has been added to them that they're paradoxically nearly overweight now too.

it keeps happening.gif

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

dieselfruit posted:

They surely can't be that stupid, right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Please stop the fuhrerhitler tweets I'm begging you

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

no

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

trump wanted to dissolve nato right

not exactly, but he said at one point the US should withdraw from it. but in reality that'd probably work out to be the same thing. wasn't gonna happen tho no matter what (unfortunately)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

dieselfruit posted:

its not good in that it is yet another unnecessary prolonging of the war but like someone else said, polish troops have been there for a while in some capacity

Morbus
May 18, 2004

celadon posted:

it seems like, for the stability of your nation state, itd be better to just bribe the rich directly rather than have them engineer a byzantine network of production that your entire defensive capacities rely upon and use that to extract wealth

For neoliberalism to function, it isn't enough to merely transfer wealth to the rich, a plurality of participants must genuinely believe in what they are doing. That's how you "enlist" the upper middle class into supporting a system that is clearly against their own interests, but also--more importantly--opposed to the interests of any broader ideological concept like "the nation".

This is accomplished by

1.) Taking/creating a bunch of status-seeking rubes who have been conditioned to think they are smart and

2.) Using them as cogs in an machine that obfuscates its real purpose through hyper-locality and excessive abstraction.

3.) Maintain control through frivolous rewards, and fear of losing status or becoming 2nd class labor

Now, you may say "this objectively weakens the strategic posture of the country" but what you are missing is it all the shareholder value it produces.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

not exactly, but he said at one point the US should withdraw from it. but in reality that'd probably work out to be the same thing. wasn't gonna happen tho no matter what (unfortunately)

He wanted to wring more money out of the euros, basically the Biden plan.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

HiroProtagonist posted:

its not good in that it is yet another unnecessary prolonging of the war but like someone else said, polish troops have been there for a while in some capacity

It seems like it would be tremendously stupid for Poland and Lithuania to feed their military piecemeal into Ukraine especially since it isn’t going to be in numbers to make a difference. I guess it is obviously a way to involve the West and escalated the war but seems like a good way to just get them mulched without back up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
they need troops already in ukraine so they can secure their portion of the pie when partitioning happens, duh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Slavvy posted:

He's not "fuhrerhitler," he's Gunther Fehlinger and he's a god drat hero.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It seems like it would be tremendously stupid for Poland and Lithuania to feed their military piecemeal into Ukraine especially since it isn’t going to be in numbers to make a difference. I guess it is obviously a way to involve the West and escalated the war but seems like a good way to just get them mulched without back up.

Maybe they think they can do the Leopard move on Germany again?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Ardennes posted:

When America is done, euthanasia will be renamed euthaneurope.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Poland wants to grow larger

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Russia's red lines might as well be non-existent at this point, so why not go for it and set a tripwire around west Ukraine.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

West Point article

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Freezer posted:

Russia's red lines might as well be non-existent at this point, so why not go for it and set a tripwire around west Ukraine.

Because you might have to do something when Russia crosses that tripwire.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Slavvy posted:

The Gunthering will continue until evil neutrality is destroyed!!!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
dumbherr failhitler

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gunther obamailure

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

*slaps roof of brigade* you can fit so many nazi tattoos in this bad boy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They look a bit twardy

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Because you might have to do something when Russia crosses that tripwire.

Send a death notice to the families of the schmucks who ate 152mm shells?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

*slaps roof of brigade* you can fit so many nazi tattoos in this bad boy

quote:

The Holocaust in Lithuania resulted in the near total destruction of Lithuanian (Litvaks) and Polish Jews,[a] living in Generalbezirk Litauen of Reichskommissariat Ostland within the Nazi-controlled Lithuanian SSR. Out of approximately 208,000–210,000 Jews, an estimated 190,000–195,000 were murdered before the end of World War II, most of them between June and December 1941. More than 95% of Lithuania's Jewish population was massacred over the three-year German occupation – a more complete destruction than befell any other country affected by the Holocaust.[citation needed] Historians attribute this to the massive collaboration in the genocide by the non-Jewish local paramilitaries, though the reasons for this collaboration are still debated.[1][2][3][4] The Holocaust resulted in the largest-ever loss of life in so short a period of time in the history of Lithuania.[4]

The events that took place in the western regions of the USSR occupied by Nazi Germany in the first weeks after the German invasion, including Lithuania, marked a sharp intensification of the Holocaust.[5][6][7][b]

The occupying Nazi German administration fanned antisemitism by blaming the Soviet regime's annexation of Lithuania in June 1940, on the Jewish community. To a large extent the Nazis also drew upon the physical organization, preparation and execution of their orders by local Lithuanian collaborators.[2][3]

As of 2020, the topic of the Holocaust in Lithuania and the role played by Lithuanians in the genocide, including several notable Lithuanian nationalists, remains controversial.[8]

yeah weird

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the polish brigade will be protected by NATO article 5

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, it is just that NATO is just isn’t prepared for WW3 and if the Russians couldn’t cope, they would just be backed back the Chinese.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:53 on Jun 28, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

" though the reasons for this collaboration are still debated."

:thunk:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

There is no excuse for the Lithuanians killing 95% of the Jews, but have you considered that some people in the Soviet leadership and the NKVD in the 30's were Jewish? Really makes you think about what crimes they committed against the Lithuanian people that may have brought those massacres on

It is really galling to me that these eastern European collaborator states just had to duck their heads down for 50 odd years and now it's ok for them to be outright Nazis and build their entire national identity on people who helped the Nazis round up all their victims because times were hard for them under the Soviet yoke.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
That better not be a real post

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

My "the reasons my parents actively collaborated in the extermination of 95% of Lithuania's Jews are still debated" shirt is raising a lot of questions that I feel are already answered by my "the reasons my parents actively collaborated in the extermination of 95% of Lithuania's Jews are still debated" shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

if they do this and cruise missiles start falling on my house i am going to make such angry posts before i die