Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023
There's toilets right in the middle of the store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
must be some kind of regional thing. i wonder if theres an area where theyre both equally garbage? anyway, makes me appreciate that special place we call costco even more

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wasn't Lowes founded by the ex of the Home Depot CEO, so they do spiteful poo poo like locate a Lowes as close to a Home Depot as possible just as a gently caress you? Whatever else is going on with those stores, some of it is driven by very divorced energy, as I recall.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

god i loving wish they'd bring their spat to my town so i wouldn't have to drive an extra 30 minutes when lowes stocks something the depot doesn't

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Wasn't Lowes founded by the ex of the Home Depot CEO, so they do spiteful poo poo like locate a Lowes as close to a Home Depot as possible just as a gently caress you? Whatever else is going on with those stores, some of it is driven by very divorced energy, as I recall.

Economics 101 tells you to locate specialized businesses close so they have to compete on everything except location. It's not spiteful, its basic theory. There's a Sam's Club across the street from Costco too.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Weembles posted:

I assume it's all people who think sushi is just a soy sauce and pickled ginger delivery device.

there were these potato chips once, wasabi and ginger flavored. couldve eaten that pretend sushi every day

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

StormDrain posted:

Economics 101 tells you to locate specialized businesses close so they have to compete on everything except location. It's not spiteful, its basic theory. There's a Sam's Club across the street from Costco too.

Why wouldn't you build your location away from competition so you don't have to compete?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

StormDrain posted:

Yeah this is also why you often see two gas stations right next to each other

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Coredump posted:

Why wouldn't you build your location away from competition so you don't have to compete?

Re read what I posted. It's Nashs equilibrium if you want to search for it.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Coredump posted:

Business analysts are lazy turd underlings and everybody in the chain of command wants an easy win

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

StormDrain posted:

The Nash equilibrium explains why stores cluster; it doesn’t tell you to set up near your competitor. If anything it’s an observation of what happens when businesses do their own thing without regard for their competitors’ actions — the exact opposite of what you’re saying.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
hold on, im going to learn economics

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

thathonkey posted:

hold on, im going to learn economics

Don't. It's a scam dreamed up to perpetrate capitalism.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

McDonalds expanded by considering dozens of factors to balance street access vs price vs local housing vs workplaces to find a good location for a fast food place.

Burger king just set up their buildings next to a mcdonalds.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Never mind, I guess the Lowes/Home Depot thing is an urban legend. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-lowes-down/

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
That’s too bad; there’s a Lowe’s/HD the next town over that shares a parking lot. Boggles the mind but made shopping convenient that one Christmas our tree was too big and we needed extra lights.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Never mind, I guess the Lowes/Home Depot thing is an urban legend. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-lowes-down/

Yeah I was gonna say. My mom repeated it to me and I had to look it up too. So I guess a non-zero amount of moms believe Lowes is the work of a Home Depot ex-wive's vengeance. I'm sure Lowes is not in a hurry to clear that up.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Lowe’s tries too hard. “Oh look, our store is well lit.” “Oh look, our shelves are well stocked.” “Oh look, we lock up expensive items in modular manufactured cages.” “Oh look, our staff still have hopes and dreams that you haven’t yet crushed.”

It is very visibly "woman targeted" compared to HD.

"A survey of women shoppers in July by Forrester Research found 69 percent [op's note: nice] rated Lowe's highest in cleanliness versus 31 percent for Home Depot, while 57 percent preferred Lowe's merchandise selection."

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Costco and Sam's Club aren't competitors though? Costco is a chain selling high quality bulk goods via tiered membership at a discount, and Sam's Club is a large sticky box full of rusty needles.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Who is picking up the Kirkland Signature Hot Dogs for America

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Vegetable posted:

The Nash equilibrium explains why stores cluster; it doesn’t tell you to set up near your competitor. If anything it’s an observation of what happens when businesses do their own thing without regard for their competitors’ actions — the exact opposite of what you’re saying.

Oh OK. They group up because they're spiteful then, and want to steal their competitors customers by being in the same spot so they serve the same market. How's that? Maybe I grabbed the wrong label and it's not Nashs equilibrium but Spatial Agglomeration. Nash is what came up in one of the first articles I opened to check it.

Who cares.

Costco rules!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The membership card crackdown is making the rounds on the news now lol.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup. I saw a few new signs up at my Costco the other day, but at least personally didn't see any different behavior.

The reactions in those news stories is something else too. I'm not going to get mad at Costco for enforcing their long-held rules, but apparently some people are also mad at the idea that others have been shopping Costco without being members.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Chinatown posted:

The membership card crackdown is making the rounds on the news now lol.

What's Costco doing?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What's Costco doing?

checking IDs against cards at self checkout according to the story I saw. which is funny because if you're gonna have someone stand there, just put them at a register so we can get out of the store faster.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
the clickbait articles love love loving LOVE to make a comparison to Netflix with this.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

pentyne posted:

the clickbait articles love love loving LOVE to make a comparison to Netflix with this.

The guy checking cards yesterday made the same comparison. He was not a fan.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
There are a fair amount of people that don't realize each membership is for a household and you can generally have two separate adults on the membership, I got lady bagmo her own card so she didnt need to bother me to go. I have some other friends that split memberships to keep it cheaper, so just do that

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

hark posted:

checking IDs against cards at self checkout according to the story I saw. which is funny because if you're gonna have someone stand there, just put them at a register so we can get out of the store faster.

All the "self-checkouts" at my local store have cashiers that do all the scanning anyway, I guess they just needed to cram more lanes in by any means necessary.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

the nougat crackers are still life changing even when sober

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

StormDrain posted:

Re read what I posted. It's Nashs equilibrium if you want to search for it.

I re-read it a few times and the way you explained it is still bad because you said it's desirable so "they have to compete," just not about location. The poster was right to point out they shouldn't want to compete at all. They don't want to, they're just setting up in the optimal locations for themselves without cooperating and compromising with their competitor.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 29, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Tiny Timbs posted:

I re-read it a few times and the way you explained it is still bad because you said it's desirable so "they have to compete," just not about location. The poster was right to point out they shouldn't want to compete at all. They don't want to, they're just setting up in the optimal locations for themselves without cooperating and compromising with their competitor.

OK. Let me rephrase it. It is desirable because it eliminates competing by getting the best location. No matter what two businesses in a region are competing. If you don't want to compete with an existing business then don't open one. If you want to open a business and you think there's enough people to shop there and abandon your opponent, put it next to them. Then you're at the center of their market too. They absolutely do want to compete and that's why they opened a second business in that market. This is the entire system. If you really don't want to compete go work for them.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well poo poo, I really don't want to compete with Costco, guess I better do the needful

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Dick Fontaine posted:

the nougat crackers are still life changing even when sober

whats the texture of the filling like is it stick to your teeth or foamy or what

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

The Saucer Hovers posted:

whats the texture of the filling like is it stick to your teeth or foamy or what

when you warm it up it has kind of a gooey cheese sort of texture going on. cold it sticks to your teeth just how you’d expect. warm is the way to go

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lazyhound posted:

All the "self-checkouts" at my local store have cashiers that do all the scanning anyway, I guess they just needed to cram more lanes in by any means necessary.

Yea, I've barely been able to get my card scanned before someone is going through my cart with the scanner. I just though I looked incompetent or something the first time.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol our version of Kroger also went out of their way to disable tap to pay.. like no Kroger I'm not going to use your stupid phone app to pay gently caress off.

Also Sam's scan and go is the best self checkout experience I've had. You just scan your poo poo as you dump it in the cart, walk to the exit, show the QR code on your phone you've been using the scan and they scan like 3 items in your cart at random to verify you scanned it.

Betcha could sneak in a bag of jerky at the bottom and never get caught. Stick it to the sam!

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230629000695&np=1&mp=1

quote:

A 31-year-old worker at a Costco outlet in Hanam, Gyeonggi Province, died of heatstroke after organizing shopping carts in the sweltering parking lot all-day last week, according to news reports Thursday.

The worker, surnamed Kim, was on duty since 11 a.m. last Wednesday. He had to collect some 200 shopping carts every hour and move them towards the store entrance.

The Costco's in Korea are some of the busiest Costcos in the world, to the point where the Southern Seoul store has the most business of any Costco in the world. The Korean government started this rule where major retailers had to close one Sunday a month to give a leg up to the mom and pop grocery stores, or face a steep fine. Costco (and the other big stores) just chose to eat the $250,000 fines because business was that good. So it's kind of shocking that Church wouldn't take care of their clergymen like that.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

AmbientParadox posted:

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230629000695&np=1&mp=1

The Costco's in Korea are some of the busiest Costcos in the world, to the point where the Southern Seoul store has the most business of any Costco in the world. The Korean government started this rule where major retailers had to close one Sunday a month to give a leg up to the mom and pop grocery stores, or face a steep fine. Costco (and the other big stores) just chose to eat the $250,000 fines because business was that good. So it's kind of shocking that Church wouldn't take care of their clergymen like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLX0gDaH_d0&t=38s

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Who is picking up the Kirkland Signature Hot Dogs for America

Cooked some over the fire when camping earlier this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Enos Cabell posted:

The guy checking cards yesterday made the same comparison. He was not a fan.

Why do they even have someone at the front door checking memberships? You can't *buy* anything without one.