Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Yeah it'd be much better if it just exploded when it hit something instead of passing through and exploding behind the target, out of range of anything in melee. The enchantment version does that already.

Being able to target the location with the mouse would be great, honestly I think if the camera was zoomed out more like on horseback and you could engage them at the edge of the screen then it would be usable now.

Zoom out when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The removed the quality shimmer from the gamble vendor, which leads me to believe my assumption that the items from the gambler are on a rotation of possible power levels and the shimmer was us inadvertently seeing the ranges displayed.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Is there any way to lock your cursor to the game window until you alt+tab when using a multi display setup? I wasn't seeing any options for it.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

flashman posted:

I can see a blizzard build using orb and meteor being workable if they give a bit more to orb though, and dropping Nova for meteor. Immobilize is very strong for damage multiplier. Your avalanche procs suffer though with the measly base lucky hit chance its real tough to get it even to six percent.

Does this mean ice blade isn't great? I thought I'd use it to proc my LH stuff, but with how cramped for space we are I'm not so sure anymore.

Lamebot posted:

Is there any way to lock your cursor to the game window until you alt+tab when using a multi display setup? I wasn't seeing any options for it.

I thought that was under graphics or something? Near vsync.

Zeg fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 28, 2023

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Zeg posted:

Does this mean ice blade isn't great? I thought I'd use it to proc my LH stuff, but with how cramped for space we are I'm not so sure anymore.

I thought that was under graphics or something?

Oh, I was looking in gameplay. Thank you!

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

So I posted my bone spear necro farming build a few days ago and I finally got around to recording some game-play footage since I keep seeing bad guides. If anyone wants to see what my build actually looks like in action, here it is in a tier 67 nm dungeon. The affixes aren't anything crazy but the positive affix doesn't buff me either, so I think its a fair representation of the build. I didn't die in the video but since my build is very glass-cannon its not uncommon for me to die once or twice to stupid poo poo in 65+ dungeons. I am level 100, but this build can absolutely smash tier 40-60 dungeons at lower levels and without all the glyphs leveled up to max.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3-iq6h9HsQ

Here is the link again to the maxroll planner I made for the build

https://maxroll.gg/d4/planner/lq9f02qi

-edit I know a few people have said they got turned off Bone Spear due to resource management, but as you can see in the video I don't ever have to cast my generator thanks to my ring aspects. I would not be surprised if Umbral gets nerfed for S1.

soscannonballs fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 28, 2023

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Lamebot posted:

Oh, I was looking in gameplay. Thank you!

No worries!

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Zeg posted:

Outside of some conjurstion mastery fuckery with getting it from an item and then swapping (which is probably fixed by now) I found it bad. It chases dudes wasting time and the lucky hit chance for stuff seems based on the cast in some instances (ie. Blizzard, there's no way 70 percent of my ticks were lucky hits). Ymmv of course but I did not like the skill

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Wait what? You're joking, right? Because if so, that would make it even more stupid than it already is. How in the world are you supposed to tell one stuck soul from the billion others anyway?

I suppose grief does something to a person's judgement but this is probably not the place to unpack that.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

flashman posted:

Outside of some conjurstion mastery fuckery with getting it from an item and then swapping (which is probably fixed by now) I found it bad. It chases dudes wasting time and the lucky hit chance for stuff seems based on the cast in some instances (ie. Blizzard, there's no way 70 percent of my ticks were lucky hits). Ymmv of course but I did not like the skill

Argh, bummer. I was big hoping for ice blades tomfoolery, but I'll drop it for now and try again when I have better stats to play with. I came to the same conclusions as you did with my limited time with it. Watching it wander off is obnoxious. It was gonna be my vuln/LH machine.

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
How viable is a meteor build for sorc? I've got some pretty good aspects and gear like rainman of the intimate or whatever but I don't want to redo my whole build if it's just going to blow.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I don't have rainman but meteor is weak. Firewall is where it's at

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
I wish there were multiple loadouts for builds.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i like vulnerable

throw the knives
flurry the vulnerable onto everything within 20 feet of me
now they're dead
repeat

good stuff

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

RaySmuckles posted:

i like vulnerable

throw the knives
flurry the vulnerable onto everything within 20 feet of me
now they're dead
repeat

good stuff

Vulnerable is fine, but it’s dumb that basically every build needs to run it. It’s actually dumber than crit as a stat because there’s no build that isn’t just substantially better by adding a source of vuln.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I get what blizzard is trying to do with the basic attacks but out of all the classes I've played (rogue, druid, Necro) it's only worked with rogue, specifically the combo point specialization. CP works because you build 3 CP really quickly and then fire off a huge burst with your spender and it has a really nice flow and payoff.

Building resources with basic attacks is fine 1-50, but after that you really want to have "solved" your resource problem in other ways, either through paragon, skills, aspects like umbral, or gear (-resource cost, +resource gen combined with something like umbral or resource on kill, etc). The game is fun when you are running around blasting, not building.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Diephoon posted:

Steel Grasp fix was not documented, feels great with Ancient's Oath now that it actually works!

https://i.imgur.com/j8lK86c.mp4

Doea it pull everything right now? I may slot this in for Ground Stomp in my Rend build if that's the case.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Vashro posted:

I don't have rainman but meteor is weak. Firewall is where it's at

Don't you teleport in, frost nova, meteor, ice shard the stragglers? Or is firewall a different build

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Sorc seems to have a fundamental flaw in that Core skills compete so directly with Mastery skills.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

trevorreznik posted:

Don't you teleport in, frost nova, meteor, ice shard the stragglers? Or is firewall a different build

The meteor is just an add on to the standard frost nova/ice shards build to trigger daze. The meteor itself isn't really important to the damage of the build.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah I immediately felt that Core + Mastery was really awkward. When you're leveling you usually slam out 2-3 cores for 80 Mana, using two skill slots to alternate two abilities that do about the same thing is not great.

Masteries make for fine enchants of course and I think Enchanting/Book of the Dead is some great design and shows why I want 7-8 active hotkeys so bad. Or put basic skills as a default left click and make it right click + 1-5. A big part of people gravitating to samey builds with so many 0-cost buttons is it doesn't really feel workable to do otherwise. I'm a fan of Defensive/Mobility/Utility/Ult + Builder/Spender myself but definitely not using a core+mastery in there on Sorc.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Basic attacks are fun when they have a purpose other than resource gen. When they’re primarily a resource generation activity then they’re about as exciting as a tv advertising break.

Like, i might run frostbolt or whatever if it either

Did actual damage
Applied a debuff
Vacuumed some enemies
Hit at least as many enemies as my core
Buffed me

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

small hendren posted:

How viable is a meteor build for sorc? I've got some pretty good aspects and gear like rainman of the intimate or whatever but I don't want to redo my whole build if it's just going to blow.

Pretty good actually, I liked the meteorite aspect for both meteor and inferno (the inferno one also makes the meteor meteorites immobilize). Get a bit of plus mana for maintaining above 100 for the bonus and the aspect for attack speed with both esu ferocity bonuses active and you can have a pretty nice build. I utilized meteor enchant and teleport as I've got a good bit of lucky hit gear.

I think this may depend on your definition of good, I managed a nm 62 at level 85. I used 3 evade boots and raiment so bosses were pretty easy to stagger and nuke down with inferno. As always supressor is going to be a challenge but as long as you can get your esu proc it's no problem to nuke them down. I think I'd need to regear a bit to push any higher as there was alot of one shots as it stood.

It was alot more comfortable around the 45-50 mark though and not so sweaty to play so that may not be your wheelhouse.

flashman fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 28, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I like spark because it attacks so fast it gives me ARPG dopamine release and in theory I could be using it to rapidly build +Crit chance but it consumes it itself. There's also the +8% crit passive it can build up, that's OK. If every builder had a good passive or tempo build up they'd feel better.

Ice basics build chill so you can mag dump when they're frozen(given how chill works this COULD be true, but everybody just goes to frost nova anyway so.. ehh.. also super low chill doesn't feel good. I didn't experiment much with the enchant due to that.) Fire basics build stacks of fire past +1 or give you +burning to your next big fire mana spender. Lightning builds the passive crit to 100% but you can't spend it on the basic itself, so it holds until you dump a big BL or CL.

Seconding that Combo Points feel great. The rhythm of 2-3 puncture hits and a Big Core is great.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 28, 2023

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
I like Barb's lunging strike because I feel like I'm using a grappling hook to escape from getting domed by elites

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
sorcerers having a set of core skills and a secondary choice of core skills with mastery skills is questionable design when the class doesn't actually have an actual builder skill and mana costs are all like 35-40.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to pause the game? I know you can't in multiplayer for obvious reasons, but can you turn off the network and get the game to pause, or at least stop the timeouts/disconnects from happening when you have to go afk?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Lunging strike is good because it is like another dash

Arc lash good because it does damage actually

Blade shift good because it lets you move through enemies and stuff

More of this pls

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

wemgo posted:

Basic attacks are fun when they have a purpose other than resource gen. When they’re primarily a resource generation activity then they’re about as exciting as a tv advertising break.

Like, i might run frostbolt or whatever if it either

Did actual damage
Applied a debuff
Vacuumed some enemies
Hit at least as many enemies as my core
Buffed me

Pretty much this. For instance, I use lunging strike on my barb because:

Squashy posted:

I like Barb's lunging strike because I feel like I'm using a grappling hook to escape from getting domed by elites

It's useful as a gap closer. But a lot of basic attacks feel like really lame filler while you wait to get to have fun with the actual attack you want to use.

When I think back to PoE builds I've used, you usually have a main spammable attack and then a variety of cooldowns you can use. Like using a vaal version to do extra damage (sorta like an ultimate) and having ancestral totems for a damage boost or whatever. Or the last build I played had a skill that's on all the time and typically decimates various lower-leveled non-elites but to take down bosses you have a separate skill you throw in to make them go down faster (RF & fire trap for anyone who's played). In D4 a lot of basic attacks only do single target or whatever and have no other utility, whereas it would be probably more fun the other way around (have a basic skill for decent aoe clear and then use stronger skills to focus down single target/strong enemies). Or you could have a "primer" skill that sets up vulnerable/cc for your main skills to do more damage.

Some basic attacks do fall under this category but the ones people are complaining about don't.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

That Italian Guy posted:

Doea it pull everything right now? I may slot this in for Ground Stomp in my Rend build if that's the case.
I'm wondering if it counts as a weapon swap since you put your weapon "away" to toss the chains...

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
It didn't while I was messing around with it with iron maelstrom and it's cool down reduction on swap damage

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm late on this but it depends on how much you have of each. You don't want to stack too much of any one type of damage bonus or else you're being inefficient with your item budgets.

All good, this brought me up to about 125 percent vulnerable damage so I'm happy with it at the moment.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Bring back unlimited hotkeys. Just a row across the bottom of my screen where I can stick whatever skill I have. If I want to put 1 point in everything and just roll my face across the key board I should be allowed to. I don't care if I'll be gimped. Lemme roll my mouse wheel and cast like 9 spells as fast as I can click like the drug fueled diablo 2 halycon days.

Also, why did gear with skills from other classes die? I want to be a barb swinging a sword with 60 charges of firebolt.

I don't care if it loving sucks, let me be free.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Has Blizzard ever tied rewards for campaign completion to Diablo 3 seasons?

I've hoovered up all the Lilith statues on hardcore and secured aspects for a flurry rogue, and I'm considering trying for the hardcore campaign achievements on said rogue while we wait for season 1. But if there's a reasonable expectation that battle pass stuff will involve the campaign I might hold off on that.

Any insights?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ersatz posted:

Has Blizzard ever tied rewards for campaign completion to Diablo 3 seasons?

I've hoovered up all the Lilith statues on hardcore and secured aspects for a flurry rogue, and I'm considering trying for the hardcore campaign achievements on said rogue while we wait for season 1. But if there's a reasonable expectation that battle pass stuff will involve the campaign I might hold off on that.

Any insights?

They said you can gain battlepass XP by doing the campaign, but it is not required.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
imo if rings could have aspects that boost basic damage by a lot the way other skills get aspects, you could have at least an alternative beyond “stack resource gen and ignore basics”

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
i like to turn into a bear and trample + pulverize and everything dies. it's pretty cool

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Sorc has some aspects for basic skills, but they’re undertuned relative to other affixes especially considering the base damage of most basic skills is so low. It also has the old “using a basic skills buffs core skill by #” but again, no one wants to be required to throw 3 snowballs before they drop an atom bomb

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

wemgo posted:

Sorc has some aspects for basic skills, but they’re undertuned relative to other affixes especially considering the base damage of most basic skills is so low. It also has the old “using a basic skills buffs core skill by #” but again, no one wants to be required to throw 3 snowballs before they drop an atom bomb

The basic skill attack speed one is the lynchpin aspect of the Arc Lash build tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
When people talk about how bad basic skills are they are not talking about the arc lash