Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Robert Half are the "Buy here pay here" used car dealers of the tech recruiting world.

Some companies do legit contract to hire (C2H), but some will work contractors to the breaking point with promises of conversion and then throw away the broken bits 20 months after the start of the relationship. Be crystal clear on what you're getting into and what the rules around overtime are.

The only thing that matters is what's written down, preferably in your contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Soylent Majority posted:

What’s this about not having to pass the certs?

I haven't been a student in a year but I thought I read that they don't require passing the cert to finish the class. Instead you take an OA in place of it and if you pass you get the credit and can also request an exam voucher. My guess is that saves them quite a bit of money from not having everyone get exam vouchers or retake ones.

I'm also debating on doing the foundational program instead of the AWS track to get some exposure to Azure stuff as well. Don't know how viable putting all my eggs into AWS is.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

GreenNight posted:

That is the ethics person.

I'm on the DEI team so I guess that's me

We talked for another hour and I managed to push to light liberalism and to admit the founding fathers were rich slaveowners

One day at a time. At least I finally have a project to deploy applications automatically now.

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

Blurb3947 posted:

I haven't been a student in a year but I thought I read that they don't require passing the cert to finish the class. Instead you take an OA in place of it and if you pass you get the credit and can also request an exam voucher. My guess is that saves them quite a bit of money from not having everyone get exam vouchers or retake ones.

I'm also debating on doing the foundational program instead of the AWS track to get some exposure to Azure stuff as well. Don't know how viable putting all my eggs into AWS is.

I just started on the azure focused one a year ago but I’ve had to take and pass more comptia poo poo than you can shake a stick at already, got my fancy sec+ over the weekend. Figure most of this poo poo will be generally applicable either way but supposedly it’s harder to find azure janitors than aws so I’m trying to max out my employability, gimme that loving full remote figgie job so I can get out before I have to move to a hotdesk he’ll layout next year…

Been computer janitoring for nearing 20years and the idea of adding a+/n+/sec+ I got this semester to my LinkedIn profile/resume seems… I guess not pointless exactly but kinda

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
I finally have a promising interview at a place that was very adamant to send me up to a higher level position when I told them my history + certs. It's IT for a tech warehouse company in a nearby town. It's only about 40k a year doing server tech work but that's a significant pay bump for me right now especially when you factor in the teacher retirement account stuff right now.

Wish me luck, it's not quite YOTJ stuff but I'm so exhausted with being an underpaid janitor.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Coworker: Could you install Docker on $user's computer, I'm not sure how to do that one
Me: Sure, I've got the Dockermentation

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

klosterdev posted:

Coworker: Could you install Docker on $user's computer, I'm not sure how to do that one

:frogout:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

klosterdev posted:

Hahaha stealing that one for sure. Gave my old dad bod a hearty chuckle.

As a young fresh whipper snapper I had a RH recruiter who bought me a coffee in a swanky downtown shop and I felt like I was hot poo poo even though I was interviewing for help desk jobs at the time. They never actually got me anywork though so I latched on with another firm called Insight Global and they got me a legit contract to hire job at a place. I started with two other people at the same time who were both placed by RH and got started out at lower wages too for whatever thats worth.

Of course that job was my first internal promotion and what got me started doing SCCM work. So maybe it wasnt worth it in the end.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
So I have some kiosk computers that residents have 24/7 access largely intended for them to be able to web browse and print. I’ve been using the kiosk mode from intune and it’s *fine* but there’s a few things I don’t much care. For example, a kid printed a Google image search and the employees weren’t able to get into the print queue to stop it, and I don’t have connectwise on it. Fortunately I was already at the site otherwise we would have just had to let run and waste most of the ink in the guest printer (yep, it’s color). Even then as an admin it took some work to be able to access any settings.

I could probably get multi app kiosk mode working, but I don’t have time to mess around with it. Anyone have any suggestions for applications to lock down windows PCs to a similar state?

Maybe I will look into multi app kiosk mode again.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 28, 2023

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

GreenNight posted:

Maybe they meant phat

:dukedog:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I used chatgpt to tell my manager, politely, to stop foisting other departments responsibilities on to me instead of telling him "I will not develop system x its not my loving job and yall arent paying me enough", it worked!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Welp, I was laid off from my gig at a Marketing firm last week and job hunting is a goddamn nightmare. I've applied to ~100 jobs with no callbacks. It turns out having ~6 years of experience "analyzing client's business needs" as a BSA, plus a recent Masters in UI/UX research and design, doesn't even seem to get anybody's attention?

It's all very frustrating. I almost feel like I'm overqualified - I went back to school to get my Masters in UI/UX after ~5 years of doing agile/waterfall BSA work with way too much QA. Graduated during COVID, internship was cancelled, ended up landing another similar BSA gig that gave me the ability to work in parallel with Strategists on the UI/UX team, but not enough to claim I was doing it on my own.

My most recent gig had me doing all sorts of Project/Product Management-related duties without the title or anybody under me because their funding had been cut the past 2 years in a row and they were slotting employees into any work that needed to be done. I really thought my real-world experience developing software and project planning would set me apart in UI/UX.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 28, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Sorry to hear that. Not directly in the space but I feel like UI/UX is looked at as a luxury and when things go south it’s one of the first roles that get slashed and not reopened til greener economic pastures

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Corb3t posted:

Welp, I was laid off from my gig at a Marketing firm last week and job hunting is a goddamn nightmare. I've applied to ~100 jobs with no callbacks.

A lot of jobs listed these days are bots harvesting info from resumes for their own purposes and probably aren't real; keep applying. Also, networking/who you know is still the most powerful job finding tool. Work any connections you have/can.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Corb3t posted:

Welp, I was laid off from my gig at a Marketing firm last week and job hunting is a goddamn nightmare. I've applied to ~100 jobs with no callbacks. It turns out having ~6 years of experience "analyzing client's business needs" as a BSA, plus a recent Masters in UI/UX research and design, doesn't even seem to get anybody's attention?

It's all very frustrating. I almost feel like I'm overqualified - I went back to school to get my Masters in UI/UX after ~5 years of doing agile/waterfall BSA work with way too much QA. Graduated during COVID, internship was cancelled, ended up landing another similar BSA gig that gave me the ability to work in parallel with Strategists on the UI/UX team, but not enough to claim I was doing it on my own.

My most recent gig had me doing all sorts of Project/Product Management-related duties without the title or anybody under me because their funding had been cut the past 2 years in a row and they were slotting employees into any work that needed to be done. I really thought my real-world experience developing software and project planning would set me apart in UI/UX.

There is no way you took the time to properly apply to 100 jobs in a week. If you're just shotgunning out a generic resume you're doing it wrong.

First thing is you have to get past the automated ATS filter before your resume is even seen by an actual human. Then you have maybe 30 seconds to convince some HR clerk that has zero idea about the job to pass your resume up the chain to a recruiter and/or hiring manager. Then once you get that far you need to get them to want to talk to you in about 30 seconds or so of browsing your resume.

My advice for finding a job

1: Have a fully fleshed out LinkedIn page. Picture, job history, make as many connections as you can, etc. Mark yourself open to work. This lets the jobs find you. Recruiters literally just search LinkedIn for <keywords> <location> and you need to make sure you're at the top of those search results. Yes LinkedIn sucks, but it's a super powerful tool for finding work and for having work find you.

2: I never submit the same resume twice to a job posting. I have a generic resume with everything on it, and then I tailor each resume I submit to the job posting. This helps you get past the ATS filter. You want to match keywords. Use a site like https://www.rezi.ai/keyword-scanner or something to compare your resume to the job posting. If the job wants 10 qualifications with 10 keywords, you want to make sure you at least are matching 7 or more of them somehow. This can take 15 to 30 minutes per job application, but remember, your resume has to get past multiple hurdles before getting in front of a hiring managers eyeballs. Your UI/UX resume should be drastically different than a Project/Product Management resume.

This is also a huge time consuming pain in the rear end, but it works. Someone should be able to take your resume, and the job posting and go down the list and check off bullet points of how you match up with the desired qualifications. If they're looking for someone with Figma experience it should be incredibly easy to identify on your resume that you have Figma experience.

3: Make sure your resume highlights the outcomes and results of your work. It's not a list of tasks that you did, it's how you brought value to an organization.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/SweatieAngle/status/1674089272599773184?s=20
https://twitter.com/SweatieAngle/status/1674104722184077324?s=20

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
At a previous job, due to space limitations we had a switch in a provider’s bathroom. I don’t know how it came to be, I just remember it always being a meme. At least it wasn’t on the floor I guess

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

tehinternet posted:

At a previous job, due to space limitations we had a switch in a provider’s bathroom. I don’t know how it came to be, I just remember it always being a meme. At least it wasn’t on the floor I guess

Pee is stored in the switch.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

This is all great advice, thank you! It's true, I have been shotgunning my Resume out to just about any Business Analyst/Product Owner/UX Researcher/Experience Designer role I come across. You're completely right - I need to create a few variations of my resume to make them more focused on the specific role I'm applying to, and I should probably take keywords from each job listing and modify them even further.

I will say, it seems like most of the roles I apply to are just looking for the following, just re-written: As a _______, you are responsible for serving as a liaison between the business community and the IT organization to provide technical solutions required for the achievement of business goals. They collect, analyze, develop, document, and communicate business requirements.

I thought my Resume was diverse enough to get the point across that I can wear many hats, but that might also be looked at as a negative if they want a master of one domain, and probably seems a little long-winded. If anybody is willing to review my resume, PM me - I'd love to hear it! It can be found at: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AjH8NB9gmxRrk2APj93WR71jo-9N?e=T4ARvD. I am particularly proud of the paid consulting work I did - it started as part of a group project in my UX in the Field course, and they liked the work we did so much, they hired me to implement our solutions, and then referred me to another flower co-op to do work for them. Unfortunately it's dried up, though.

My LinkedIn is pretty fleshed out, but admittedly I'm not the best networker. I did post that I'm open to work, but I haven't posted that I have been laid off (Should I?). Technically my last official day isn't until Friday, so I figured leaving up that I was still employed is fine.

Will definitely check out Rezi.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 28, 2023

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

Pee is stored in the switch.

TCPee/IPee.

Corb3t posted:

This is all great advice, thank you! It's true, I have been shotgunning my Resume out to just about any Business Analyst/Product Owner/UX Researcher/Experience Designer role I come across. You're completely right - I need to create a few variations of my resume to make them more focused on the specific role I'm applying to, and I should probably take keywords from each job listing and modify them even further.

I will say, it seems like most of the roles I apply to are just looking for the following, just re-written: Individuals in the ________ are responsible for serving as a liaison between the business community and the IT organization to provide technical solutions required for the achievement of business goals. They collect, analyze, develop, document, and communicate business requirements.

I thought my Resume was diverse enough to get the point across that I can wear many hats, but that might also be looked at as a negative if they want a master of one domain, and probably seems a little long-winded. If anybody is willing to review my resume, PM me - I'd love to hear it! It can be found at: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AjH8NB9gmxRrk2APj93WR71jo-9N?e=T4ARvD. I am particularly proud of the paid consulting work I did - it started as part of a group project in my UX in the Field course, and they liked the work we did so much, they hired me to implement our solutions, and then referred me to another flower co-op to do work for them. Unfortunately it's dried up, though.

My LinkedIn is pretty fleshed out, but admittedly I'm not the best networker. I did post that I'm open to work, but I haven't posted that I have been laid off (Should I?). Technically my last official day isn't until Friday, so I figured leaving up that I was still employed is fine.

LinkedIn is Facebook for Business. Make every connection you can there, and only post professional stuff there. Solicit Endorsements and give them when deserved. Make sure every section has details.

A role might need multiple, distinct skillsets, but the Job Description and matching resume should focus on one.

Each resume should absolutely be specifically targeted for the JD. When I'm looking at a role I really want, I'm going to spend a lot of time researching the company and explicitly tailoring the submission for the job description. As someone else said, hit the key words from the JD. And if they have the corporate kool-aid easily available, be ready to tell stories to illustrate how you line up with their Corporate Values.

Once you have experience, it's all about quality, not necessarily quantity.

All that said, right now sucks because off all the big tech layoffs. There's a lot more noise to get through than there was two years ago.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 28, 2023

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Had a user get mad at me because he demanded I install the corporate VPN on his private laptop so he could review cases/private data while on vacation. Told him no, we absolutely cannot do that. Policy is that the VPN client and access is for corporate devices only.

"But I don't want to bring my work laptop with me on vacation!!!"

Cute part was he tried to get his way with "oh but I've had this VPN on my personal system for years. So you should just do it." Which was an easy lie to spot because the VPN client he was asking for has only been in use by our company for like two months.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Should have closed the ticket telling them only idiots bring work on vacation.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Yea I’m ngl I wouldn’t bother loving with my resume for every position I apply to. Resumes ain’t that serious

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

Had a user get mad at me because he demanded I install the corporate VPN on his private laptop so he could review cases/private data while on vacation. Told him no, we absolutely cannot do that. Policy is that the VPN client and access is for corporate devices only.

Cute part was he tried to get his way with "oh but I've had this VPN on my personal system for years. So you should just do it." Which was an easy lie to spot because the VPN client he was asking for has only been in use by our company for like two months.

"Thank you for self-reporting this serious security breach. I'll report this directly to the CISO/CIO/Office Manager for appropriate triage and remediation."

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Handsome Ralph posted:

Then you're doing him a favour. He shouldn't be working on his time off.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You pee telephony!? I pee urine.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

xzzy posted:

Should have closed the ticket telling them only idiots bring work on vacation.

:lol: If only.

I've learned my shops reaction to users who do carry some weight but make ridiculous demands that were not going to give into is pretty much the same one Brad Pitt's character had towards Col. Landa at the end of Inglorious Basterds.

"I'm gonna see that you're written up/fired for not giving into my stupid as hell demands!

"Nah, I don't think so. More like chewed out. I've been chewed out before."

I'll take the risk of being mildly chewed out for not fulfilling a stupid request over just doing it and finding out I'm out on my rear end for facilitating a data breach.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

i am a moron posted:

Yea I’m ngl I wouldn’t bother loving with my resume for every position I apply to. Resumes ain’t that serious

If you want to get past all the "AI" bullshit and other BS scoring poo poo that workday and other applicant tracking systems use, it's something us regular employee types have to deal with. I would think people at your level of the workforce find their next job through word of mouth or have a shortcut to get the resume in front of a hiring manager and can bypass the bullshit hoops we plebeians have to jump through.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I still apply for things, I’m not that cool. I just have a couple templates - one for manager positions, in house architect positions (one that focuses on app stuff and one for security), and one for consultant positions. I don’t think totally ignoring the context of what you’re applying to is a good idea, but at a certain point I’d be gunning for volume over tailoring it (imo)

Edit: I’ve already posted the same thing elsewhere but i have the best luck with LinkedIn easy apply in terms of responses vs. volume of times I pressed the button and you always have to supply a resume for that

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 28, 2023

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

lol my manager thinks I should become a manager. I think I just got totally owned at my performance review

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

The open dichotomy with 'most jobs are bots and just information harvesting/are ghost jobs' and 'put 15-30 minutes into every sending of your resume' makes me laugh out loud.

Also recruiting companies are rear end and a half, they only pay any attention to you if you've already got enough under your belt in terms of experience etc to make it happen without them.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

i am a moron posted:

Does anyone else write terraform by dumping a bunch of poo poo into vscode editing it and then running plan locally over and over until there’s no error messages left or is that just me

Some of my co-workers hated my approach of testing/writing PowerShell Scripts by just quickly writing whatever, running it, having it fail, troubleshoot the error message and repeat until completed but for smaller scripts I think it's a fine approach if you are just trying to get something done not trying to learn how it actually works.

I also do the same in terraform sometimes.

skipdogg posted:

My advice for finding a job

Blah.

I guess I might be doing the keyword piece incorrectly but goddamn is it annoying finding a new job right now. I was let go late March and only started applying for a few gigs since June along with recruiters reaching out to me on LinkedIn. Out of about 16 positions half have been from recruiters and the rest direct applications. Eight of them have basically either given me no reply including recruiters who've reached out to me. The rest have been typical generic rejects but what's weird is I'm getting multiple "Due to economic conditions, this role is no longer available but please keep in touch.".

Is that supposed to mean anything?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is anyone up for reviewing a fellow goons LinkedIn and Resume? I'd like a job... soonish :ohdear:

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I dunno if anyone here still remembers me, but here I am again...because gently caress Reddit.

You know what? I don't know why I ever left this place. I like it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I dunno if anyone here still remembers me, but here I am again...because gently caress Reddit.

This was me some time ago ... dropped off SA for around ~2 years, but I got fed up with reddit and returned already years ago. And this internet cockroach keeps on skittering.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I am in constant fear of losing my job now that I'm about to close on a house in the next two weeks.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BadSamaritan posted:

lol my manager thinks I should become a manager. I think I just got totally owned at my performance review

do not fall for it unless you don't really care for doing work

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

teethgrinder posted:

This was me some time ago ... dropped off SA for around ~2 years, but I got fed up with reddit and returned already years ago. And this internet cockroach keeps on skittering.

The lack of bots here is so loving refreshing. It's like a cool, pleasant breeze.

Some of you may remember me as a guy you helped out by sending me some cash when I was between jobs and hard up around 10 years ago. I never forgot how awesome Goons were to me on that day, and I never will.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

George H.W. oval office posted:

I am in constant fear of losing my job now that I'm about to close on a house in the next two weeks.

This is me but with buying my new car. I am uncertain of your circumstances, but mine is entirely unfounded anxiety.

The lack of bots here is so loving refreshing. It's like a cool, pleasant breeze.

Some of you may remember me as a guy you helped out by sending me some cash when I was between jobs and hard up around 10 years ago. I never forgot how awesome Goons were to me on that day, and I never will.

:hmmyes: Welcome back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I do remember you and it's nice to see an old face! Or avatar. Or whatever. Welcome back.