Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

This loving joke :allears:. New chapter of Ragna Crimson and a fair amount of information happens even though most of the chapter is a fight. Japan was already established as the final boss but the fact that the Kou Tenran is casually taking pot shots at the sun cult that also gives them resources is a good introduction to her. I honestly wish Kamui hadn't died because he was so cool and now we have this chick reminding me of him in terms of ability and memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brought To You By posted:

This loving joke :allears:. New chapter of Ragna Crimson and a fair amount of information happens even though most of the chapter is a fight. Japan was already established as the final boss but the fact that the Kou Tenran is casually taking pot shots at the sun cult that also gives them resources is a good introduction to her. I honestly wish Kamui hadn't died because he was so cool and now we have this chick reminding me of him in terms of ability and memory.

The Japan year also gives us a rough estimate of when the dragons appeared. Reiwa 530 is year 2549 and it’s currently Reiwa 5. Since it’s still the Reiwa era either the emperor was turned into a dragon and is still alive, or he was the last emperor. He’s currently 63 so even assuming he lives to 100 that would put the dragons appearing between 2019 and 2060. But there’s also a Sun calendar mentioned, which is at year 498(which makes year 0 2051). Assuming the sun cult wouldn’t be made until the dragons invaded(unless the sun cult is the source of the dragons in the first place) that narrows down the year even further to 2019-2051.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 27, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

The Japan year also gives us a rough estimate of when the dragons appeared. Reiwa 530 is year 2549 and it’s currently Reiwa 5. Since it’s still the Reiwa era either the emperor was turned into a dragon and is still alive, or he was the last emperor. He’s currently 63 so even assuming he lives to 100 that would put the dragons appearing between 2019 and 2060. But there’s also a Sun calendar mentioned, which is at year 498(which makes year 0 2051). Assuming the sun cult wouldn’t be made until the dragons invaded(unless the sun cult is the source of the dragons in the first place) that narrows down the year even further to 2019-2051.

Just plugging the phrase heavenly sovereign into Jisho gets back the kanji used to describe the emperor of Japan. So I'd be inclined to assume Kou Tenran is/was the emperor of Japan before turning into a dragon.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Marriagetoxin: Teruaki has a 90% chance of getting sniped right after this by Grandma, the Teacher, the chick from the beast clan, or someone else for this whole fiasco along with Gero inviting him to the wedding. I don't think he'll die but attempting to kill the future clan head cannot have 0 consequence in this kind of story, much less him failing.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Marriagetoxin: Yeah, was just thinking how the whole "you have an invitation to my wedding" felt like a variant of the "you are two days before retirement" trope - a hopeful future ready to be subverted. That being said, I liked how Gero handled his cousin, and I hope we will still get a dinner with his sister and her girlfriend as an epilogue for this arc. I really want to see a bit more of her.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Shibatarian: It's not a Shiba-Inu, it's a Shiba-ta!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

New Versus

Just one more month before the plot starts in earnest!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, just moving away from that single prep session at the castle and seeing the demons, plus hearing Alio's (predictable but still okay) backstory and some character interactions, plus the fact that we *finally* have some interaction with the natural enemies... it's a step up from the last several chapters.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I sure wonder what's going on in the latest chapter of Vibration Man!

hmmmm yes i see i see

Bonus:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Superheroes need qualified immunity clearly. God, I haven't read Vibration Man since the basketball match and I feel like I made the right choice ahah.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Terper posted:

hmmmm yes i see i see

Bonus:

oh wow lol

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Good to see its keeping consistent on its batshit nationalist tone, at least.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Terper posted:

hmmmm yes i see i see

Bonus:

What is this?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

over the past week or so i re-read and caught up to every translated chapter of Baby Steps that i could find (still ~20 left untranslated, it seems like?). what an excellent, grounded sports series and it's an absolute tragedy that it got canned so unceremoniously after such a long run.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

What is this?

A comic in which the goverment spikes vaccines given to teenagers to make supers and is now talking about deregulation of (imfamously beurocratic japanese) police firearms regulations.

And maybe a translater realising the Earthchild they've been given and losing the will to live.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

over the past week or so i re-read and caught up to every translated chapter of Baby Steps that i could find (still ~20 left untranslated, it seems like?). what an excellent, grounded sports series and it's an absolute tragedy that it got canned so unceremoniously after such a long run.

found the rest! still a bummer! justice for baby steps!!!!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

New Versus

Just one more month before the plot starts in earnest!

I liked it, tbh. Took a bit long with setup but I can definitely see it will all pay off and it really shows the stakes and danger with how incredibly scary every single anti-human faction seems to be. (I'm really curious about the Evil God and New Humanity's deal though)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Skeleton Double :wtc: this is the first page of the chapter

I don't know where we are going but the author has decided we are going to crank that dial from from 7 to 11.
I don't think he stabbed this kid but to be honest this swerve has me genuinely unnerved. But this is also a solid justification for why a teen in an otherwise normal world would be willing to throw themselves into strange and fantastical danger and face death multiple times. It just isn't that he wants justice for his father's death; I'd imagine other people who wake up one day and get their limbs and torso nearly twisted off by an invisible man would walk away from the talking skull.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Plutonis posted:

I liked it, tbh. Took a bit long with setup but I can definitely see it will all pay off and it really shows the stakes and danger with how incredibly scary every single anti-human faction seems to be. (I'm really curious about the Evil God and New Humanity's deal though)

Agreed. I genuinely liked the character interactions and more light being shone on the Demon Kings (that telekinetic one is terrifying). I really, really hope we see New Humanity next chapter because I'm super curious to see what they are like. Judging from the humans we've seen from their world, my guess is they surgically remove body parts from normal humans to maintain their beauty.

And if they really are *superior* humans there's lots of ways things could play out, including knowing everything that's going on, and actively seeking alliances with the other Natural Enemies

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Brought To You By posted:

Skeleton Double :wtc: this is the first page of the chapter

I don't know where we are going but the author has decided we are going to crank that dial from from 7 to 11.
I don't think he stabbed this kid but to be honest this swerve has me genuinely unnerved. But this is also a solid justification for why a teen in an otherwise normal world would be willing to throw themselves into strange and fantastical danger and face death multiple times. It just isn't that he wants justice for his father's death; I'd imagine other people who wake up one day and get their limbs and torso nearly twisted off by an invisible man would walk away from the talking skull.

Yeah, it is a bit unnerving, partly because it just came out of nowhere. I can't tell if this swerve was planned or not, but drat if it isn't effective, and I'm now very interested in seeing where this goes.

Although now I'm wondering why he hasn't tried stalking anyone with his ability to go invisible, but hopefully after the next chapter we'll have a better idea of where this kid's head is currently at

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Plutonis posted:

That wasn't intended to be a complaint, it's just the facts that we've been doing a lot of office meetings instead of watching Monster Hunter vs X-Men movie Sentinels and Blighttown like we all want.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I love Service Wars.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, it is a bit unnerving, partly because it just came out of nowhere. I can't tell if this swerve was planned or not, but drat if it isn't effective, and I'm now very interested in seeing where this goes.

Although now I'm wondering why he hasn't tried stalking anyone with his ability to go invisible, but hopefully after the next chapter we'll have a better idea of where this kid's head is currently at
Low odds we're dealing with some kind of self inflicted mental block, but I think it is more a matter of learning how to create and manipulate the Bones.

I think a plausible answer is simply he wouldn't want to use invisibility to recreate the same kind of unsolvable murder that took his father. But also this has all happened over the course of one week I think so his initial inability to find a use for invisibility takes place after he resolved whatever this potential murder is going to be. I do think he gets cold feet and realizes his mindset isn't healthy, but either way he still hasn't gotten over it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The Elusive Samurai: Japan was at the forefront of poop technology

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How is Zom 100?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Goodbye Mash, not the best, but I certainly enjoyed my time following it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Goosebump Girlfriend: I love the seesaw of yandere we got here.

Electric Phantasm posted:

It had the right amount of humor and spectacle, along with some genuinely endearing characters to keep me reading the whole way through. Glad it got an actual ending and not the axe.

Dawgstar posted:

How is Zom 100?
I rented the first couple volumes a while ago and I think it's a solid bucket list story framed against the apocalypse. Jokes might be a bit cringey early on depending on your tolerances but otherwise nothing bad.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Electric Phantasm posted:

Mash is a series I literally opened up chapter 1 thinking "god this is just gonna be a lovely Harry Potter parody and I'll drop it by chapter 2" so he did pretty great, all things considered

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Mash always knew what it was, and in the end, it was an ok series.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Scallop Eyes posted:

Mash always knew what it was, and in the end, it was an ok series.

:hmmyes:

Ice-Head Gill: hoo boy, this jumped from being uneven to just straight bad real quick

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

How is Zom 100?

I stopped after volume 4, so I can't say beyond that, but it starts very strong, but when it gets to a lengthy arc with human villains, that part's a slog.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shinji2015 posted:

:hmmyes:

Ice-Head Gill: hoo boy, this jumped from being uneven to just straight bad real quick

It became super clear that this is just a Demon Slayer knock off.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

muscles like this! posted:

It became super clear that this is just a Demon Slayer knock off.

Yeah I just checked this out and was just coming to post this.

For the record I would be okay with it being a Demon Slayer knock off, but right now it's just being worse at it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Bye bye Mash. I will miss you and your shenanigans. It was a little uneven, but generally a lot of fun for me. Who knew mixing One punch man with Harry Potter would be a winning combination.

Witch Watch: thank you whoever said the battles were starting. I’m tuning in again and immediately seeing Keigo go for the float spell gives me a lot of confidence for a fun time.

Fabricant: I mean this manga was never a looker, but this felt rough. Still very much on board though even if it was a little predictable.

Sakamoto: Go Heisuke!

MMA: Yep, liking this a lot. Lead is good, but not godly great or hidden potential or whatever giving him plenty of room to grow right off the bat. I also like that they’re now working on getting the lead an actual goal. Also Sudden big brother appearance. And I like the female lead. Check out that panel where the lead takes off his shirt.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

I stopped after volume 4, so I can't say beyond that, but it starts very strong, but when it gets to a lengthy arc with human villains, that part's a slog.

So like most zombie media.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MMA is very good.

Glad Jump finally has a sports manga again. Aside from Akane-banashi of course

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I guess Do Retry is also probably a sports manga?

I know its about boxing but not sure the sports vibes were there in the few chapters I read

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

there is something genuinely hilarious about the sports captain guy showing up in the ending photo of mashle

rip to a fun and breezy gag manga

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still think it's really funny how the ripped shirt guy just went with it forever after the last time Mash ripped his shirt off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I guess Do Retry is also probably a sports manga?

I know its about boxing but not sure the sports vibes were there in the few chapters I read

I have a feeling that Do Retry is going to just completely lose all realism. It is already toying with it with the extreme fighting styles seen so far and the rival kid's arm just growing huge like overnight.