Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

BonHair posted:

I still want to exercise my right to free speech by taking a literal poo poo on Grundloven in Christiansborg. Or whatever the Swedish equivalent is I guess.
Well as long as your reason for it is productive, that should be fine. This guy's reason is literally to ban the Koran, which itself is the opposite of freedom of speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

– Våra möjligheter att avslå en ansökan är väldigt begränsade. Vi bedömer att man kan hantera en sådan situation, säger polisens presstalesperson Helena Boström Thomas.
På grund av det rådande eldningsförbudet riskerar Salwan Momika att få böter om han eldar koranen. Samtidigt kan polisen inte avslå ansökan på grund av yttrandefriheten.
– Grundlagskyddet trumfar föreskriften om eldningsförbud, säger Helena Boström Thomas.

How hard up for cash is Stockholmspolisen that they allow this idiocy and then might fine this rocks for brains for breaking eldingsförbudet??

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Dirk Pitt posted:

Koran burning at Medis today. Nice day to work from home with my new puppy.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/xgd2ej/polisen-beviljar-ny-koranbranning-i-stockholm

I can not for the life of me understand how this is not Hets mot Folkgrupp.

They're burning a book targeted at a religion outside their religious building during their religious holiday. What the gently caress else could be the point than to hetsa a folkgrupp?

teen witch posted:

How hard up for cash is Stockholmspolisen that they allow this idiocy and then might fine this rocks for brains for breaking eldingsförbudet??

But also lol

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So this is not Paludan, but some Syrian dude?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

So this is not Paludan, but some Syrian dude?

Iraqi Christian iirc

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Man with Hat posted:

I can not for the life of me understand how this is not Hets mot Folkgrupp.
Apparently it might be

https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/person-brande-koran-misstanks-for-hets-mot-folkgrupp

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Did the cops not look into where in medis he was planing on burning the Koran?

what

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Haha, just a little joke. Welcome to NATO. :)

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/new-finnish-minister-survives-no-confidence-vote-over-nazi-references-2023-06-28/

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

What does an idiot poo poo-posting 88 have to do with NATO, exactly? In your opinion.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rappaport posted:

What does an idiot poo poo-posting 88 have to do with NATO, exactly? In your opinion.

NATO leadership was rife with nazis in the first few decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Speidel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Heusinger
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnez-Truppe

Also, just to be clear, this was Finland's Minister of Economic Affairs just making a little "Heil Hitler" joke for laughs, as the far-right is wont to do.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Rappaport posted:

"As we say in Germany, if there’s a Nazi at the table and 10 other people sitting there talking to him, you got a table with 11 Nazis."

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

"Speidel participated in the 20 July Plot to assassinate Hitler, and he was tasked with recruiting Rommel for the resistance. "

Speidel tried to *kill* old Adolf. Got any actual evidence he was a Nazi and supported like, their racial or eugenic policies? Or just because he was career military? Or German?

Your links don't show either of Speidel or Heusinger were in any non-trivial way 'Nazis'. And the Schnez-Truppe is basically described as veterans who planned to form military units if war broke out since West Germany lacked a military.

If you have better sources, link them please, otherwise you look like the guy who points at everything and screams "NAZI!!!"

Sloppy, lazy sourcing.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

NATO leadership was rife with nazis in the first few decades.

I've seen doctor Strangelove too, but surely you realize both sides, as it were, failed to de-nazify properly.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

"Speidel participated in the 20 July Plot to assassinate Hitler, and he was tasked with recruiting Rommel for the resistance. "

Speidel tried to *kill* old Adolf. Got any actual evidence he was a Nazi and supported like, their racial or eugenic policies? Or just because he was career military? Or German?

Your links don't show either of Speidel or Heusinger were in any non-trivial way 'Nazis'. And the Schnez-Truppe is basically described as veterans who planned to form military units if war broke out since West Germany lacked a military.

If you have better sources, link them please, otherwise you look like the guy who points at everything and screams "NAZI!!!"

Sloppy, lazy sourcing.

You should be able to find the relevant information in the links provided, unless you're one of those "clean Wehrmacht" types. Also you hopefully realize they wanted to kill Hitler not out of the good of their hearts, but to prevent the destruction of Nazi Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvgZtdmyKlI

Rappaport posted:

I've seen doctor Strangelove too, but surely you realize both sides, as it were, failed to de-nazify properly.

There's probably a slight difference between using nazi scientists as forced labor and promoting them to Supreme Commander.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rust Martialis posted:

Speidel tried to *kill* old Adolf.
And Hitler succeeded.

But like SplitSoul said, being an active participant in the German military made you an active supporter of the Nazis and their racial policies, never being a commander on the Eastern Front.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

There's probably a slight difference between using nazi scientists as forced labor and promoting them to Supreme Commander.

There probably is (and it seems slightly bizarre you seem to be indicating the former to be preferable), but you've still yet to explain what any of this NATO business has to do with an idiot posting he likes 88-memes on his social media.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rappaport posted:

There probably is (and it seems slightly bizarre you seem to be indicating the former to be preferable), but you've still yet to explain what any of this NATO business has to do with an idiot posting he likes 88-memes on his social media.
Why wouldn't forced labor for Nazi scientists be preferable to promoting Nazis to high military positions?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why wouldn't forced labor for Nazi scientists be preferable to promoting Nazis to high military positions?

I'm showing my anti-totalitarianism here, but I don't think forced labour is a good thing as a general principle. Of course PAPERCLIPPING guys like Wernher von Braun into high office is bad on its face, too, don't get me wrong.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rappaport posted:

I'm showing my anti-totalitarianism here, but I don't think forced labour is a good thing as a general principle. Of course PAPERCLIPPING guys like Wernher von Braun into high office is bad on its face, too, don't get me wrong.
It's literally just prison for participating in crimes against humanity, except you get to at least pursue your love of science.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's literally just prison for participating in crimes against humanity, except you get to at least pursue your love of science.

I suppose. But we are drifting off the point here, which was that some guy posting 88 memes on their facebook is an indictment of NATO, and then somehow we wound back to Wernher von Braun. I have a hard time following this line of reasoning.

edit: To be clear, that guy posting lovely nazi memes is an idiot and should be castigated and fired

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rappaport posted:

The "shitposter" in question is a powerful, far-right minister in the Finnish government, representing more than a fifth of the electorate, and its parliament apparently confirmed that making "Heil Hitler" "jokes" with your far-right buddies is just fine for a government official. Finland also just joined NATO, which incidentally has a sordid history of employing high-ranking nazis in its leadership and creating nazi/fascist terrorist cells ("stay-behind armies") throughout Europe. hth

Rappaport posted:

Executing them is preferable to using them as forced labor is preferable to promoting them to Supreme Military Commander. hth

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

The "shitposter" in question is a powerful, far-right minister in the Finnish government, representing more than a fifth of the electorate, and its parliament apparently confirmed that making "Heil Hitler" "jokes" with your far-right buddies is just fine for a government official. Finland also just joined NATO, which incidentally has a sordid history of employing high-ranking nazis in its leadership and creating nazi/fascist terrorist cells ("stay-behind armies") throughout Europe. hth

I know both of these things, but this still doesn't make the leap in logic comprehensible. Why does Finland joining NATO (during our previous government) and some loving moron posting nazi poo poo correlate, let alone make joining NATO a Nazi act? Or make NATO more Nazi, or whatever the gently caress this is supposed to be. Like, this does not help, at all, I'm sorry!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Literally the only things keeping Sweden OUT right now are two semi-fascist national leaders inside NATO who don't want our company. One for obscure reasons and one for overtly wanting us to rewrite our laws to be more authoritarian and remove more of our right to free speech.

NATO is not a Good Guys Club. Let's just leave it at that.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rappaport posted:

I know both of these things, but this still doesn't make the leap in logic comprehensible. Why does Finland joining NATO (during our previous government) and some loving moron posting nazi poo poo correlate, let alone make joining NATO a Nazi act? Or make NATO more Nazi, or whatever the gently caress this is supposed to be. Like, this does not help, at all, I'm sorry!

I am conveying the news that a sitting, far-right minister in the Finnish government is a thinly-veiled nazi, that the Finnish parliament doesn't think this is grounds to dismiss him, and also making GBS threads on NATO by half-jokingly alluding to their going back to their roots: welcoming nazis. hth

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

I am conveying the news that a sitting, far-right minister in the Finnish government is a thinly-veiled nazi, that the Finnish parliament doesn't think this is grounds to dismiss him, and also making GBS threads on NATO by half-jokingly alluding to their going back to their roots: welcoming nazis. hth

I see now. Thanks, sorry for me being dumb!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rappaport posted:

I see now. Thanks, sorry for me being dumb!

You're welcome. Sorry about your government.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

You don't have to make apologies for the Nazis.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

You're welcome. Sorry about your government.

Me too. But on the plus side, even our yellow press is saying the 88-moron nazi has to go, so maybe they won't be our government for that long? We shall see.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the fascist political party NSDAP. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

considering how little news normally gets to us of finnish politics, the "ironic" nazi guy has made a gaffe of real dimensions. i think that even in denmark he would be forced out over something like this, especially given the general distaste that usually accompanies breaching a cordon sanitaire and the tendency to insist that "no no they're not that bad, honest".

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
burning the koran is omega cringe and dumb and hateful, but it is fun to make erdoğan upset. and keep us out of nato

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Actually mocking and criticizing abrahamic religions is cool and good, as their religious text are chock full of hateful poo poo used to justify plenty of hateful actions.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Actually mocking and criticizing abrahamic religions is cool and good, as their religious text are chock full of hateful poo poo used to justify plenty of hateful actions.

Yeah, but that's not what's going on here. This is assholes using the book as a symbol of a marginalised group and nothing else.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BonHair posted:

Yeah, but that's not what's going on here. This is assholes using the book as a symbol of a marginalised group and nothing else.

Which white nationalist group is Salwan Momika a part of?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think that pissing on people's religious beliefs for the sake of pissing on religious beliefs is a bit vulgar, for my own part

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
If NATO is going back to having a Nazi there's only one thing left to do. We must go back to our roots and ally with the nazis to divide up.europe and supply them with resources, to own the NATO libs, just like Stalin would have done

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

i think that pissing on people's religious beliefs for the sake of pissing on religious beliefs is a bit vulgar, for my own part
There's always a risk in criticizing religion as being seen as an attack on someones faith, though - but that doesn't mean that doing the first isn't acceptable.

The institution of religion, and the basis for the religion (ie. the texts and interpretations) should not be above criticism, especially when they're used to cause hurt and misery - which is both historically and currently true for all the Abrahamic religions.

Having said that, burning any book isn't a criticism - it's just a reactionary behaviour that results in censorship at best and pollution at worst.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 29, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Having said that, burning any book isn't a criticism - it's just a reactionary behaviour that results in censorship at best and pollution at worst.

According to the person that did it, it's meant to be a pro-democratic statement against an anti-democratic religion.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Which white nationalist group is Salwan Momika a part of?

Yes, only white nationalists can do lovely provocations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

According to the person that did it, it's meant to be a pro-democratic statement against an anti-democratic religion.
I'm not likely to trust the words of someone who's in the habit of burning them.