Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
How do people load out their air raiders in 5 anyway? I’m currently running limpet, deployable and a single air support. Is this standard behaviour. Should I drop my deployable in favour of another type of sky gun? I’m very early still so I don’t have a huge amount available to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
1: limpet of some form
2: laser turret/rocket turret, occasionally sky gun of some form
3: big tonk/big robot/spider tonk for tunnels usually

Spider is not great but it is ablative armour, and at least some form of mobility for when you inevitably get knocked down a pit underground

For 6 I'm guessing I'll just swap turret (that the ranger stole) for drone of some form

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

outside of cave missions, i do:
1. sky gun
2. a second sky gun
3. spritefall or a bombing run

sometimes 2 gets replaced with another bombing call if the mission has a ton of stuff to generate the points from the first spritefall/bombing run

vehicle is often the grape because i just want to get places to shoot sky guns at problems, but sometimes i do the tank

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

While turrets go to the rangers, the air raider gets like 4 different flavors of drone-turrets.

They have drones that sit on your shoulder and shoot at enemies that get near, and still function in vehicles, making them basically better turrets.

They also have a line that when you drop them they follow the path you walk and shoot where you look which can be very strong.

Then there's the drones that you drop and they just shoot in the direction you were looking when you dropped them.

Lastly is the fire/laser drones that you drop and they just chase the closest enemies, which can be strong but are a bit slow for most drones and can struggle with fast enemies.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

HolyKrap posted:

I like cave missions as air raider because you get to bring c4 and a vehicle and make big explosions. It's a great exercise in trying not to kill your teammates

If your teammates die that's their fault for being near explosions. It is never the air raiders fault.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Theswarms posted:

If your teammates die that's their fault for being near explosions. It is never the air raiders fault.

:colbert:

There’s even big indicator’s now!

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

LeFishy posted:

How do people load out their air raiders in 5 anyway? I’m currently running limpet, deployable and a single air support. Is this standard behaviour. Should I drop my deployable in favour of another type of sky gun? I’m very early still so I don’t have a huge amount available to me.

1. Autocannon
2. Different cannon (120mm iirc)
3. Spritefall
Vehicle, don't need it much, usually take the ambulance to heal the team

tbh in 5 you don't really need to bother with limpets at all unless it's a cave. airstrikes are straight-up superior in most circumstances.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah the autocannon call-ins have like a 5 second cooldown and do a gazillion more damage than a limpet will ever possibly do in a thousand years.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

LeFishy posted:

Bulge Laser
Turret
Autocannon air support
Any red mobile suit

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in 5 the only real problems air raider has is soloing drop ships and cave missions. there are a lot of dropships.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Theswarms posted:

It is always the air raiders fault.

Ftfy

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Kanos posted:

Yeah the autocannon call-ins have like a 5 second cooldown and do a gazillion more damage than a limpet will ever possibly do in a thousand years.

Yeah I just did an early mission (12 I think... the one with a lot of spiders) and barely touched my limpet for my autocannon and strafing run callout.

Not looking forward to when I have to actually shoot down the teleport ships but I guess... i don't actually know, maybe I'll have a vehicle by then.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah if there's dropships you need to take a limpet sniper or something. you can also play the tank turret angling game if you really want.

but the true answer is "get someone else to do that" while you lay waste to bugs and buildings alike with the 105mm calldown

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
air raider is more fun in mp, is all. you can also just play another class on stages where air raider is pure pain. well, unless you are going for 100% completion, but in that case you are already eager for pain.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sometimes the Air Raider kills you, sometimes the Air Raider kills hundreds of enemies, it's just the way of the universe.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Which way, western Fencer? *evaporates in a bulge laser*

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
now you know how strong phobos is

and yeah it's usually some short recharge airstrike + spritefall + bigfuckoff airbomber + vehicle/mech or something like that

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

yeah if there's dropships you need to take a limpet sniper or something. you can also play the tank turret angling game if you really want.

but the true answer is "get someone else to do that" while you lay waste to bugs and buildings alike with the 105mm calldown

The early ones suck at it but later loadouts of the mechs in 5 tear airships apart if you can get the angle right.

Plus mechs are cool.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

mechs are slow and using them feels awful

i hate it because mechs are cool, and once the joke of how clunky they are passes they're just these things i always want to take but never do because i know i'll regret it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nixes are the most useful EDF5 fighting vehicles in general, but the only one that doesn't suck to use is the Nix Assault that's level 112 and costs real money

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

These games blur in my memory so I can't remember if it's from 4 or 5 (both probably) but the giant 4 player tank with the incredibly impossibly huge fuckoff main railcannon was a mainstay for my group, because it was perfectly usable by the Air Raider on his own shooting the big gun but other people could drop in when the going got tough to shoot the side guns. Plus it's just fun to call out to your group "I'm shooting the REQUIEM CANNON!", y'know?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

both, but better in 5

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ninjewtsu posted:

i hate it because mechs are cool, and once the joke of how clunky they are passes they're just these things i always want to take but never do because i know i'll regret it
The red ones are fast if you keep jumping with them.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

It's usually a lamp post doing a perfect smoke grenade blocks fault.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
When can I shoot bugs?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

ninjewtsu posted:

The most un-EDF post ever. Take off your skin suit and reveal the ant underneath, you traitor

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I will never stop bringing Barga to every available mission, you can’t stop me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"We've encountered a giant enemy who regenerates, what do we do?" "GET A HUGE CRANE AND SMASH INTO IT!" sums up the EDF and why they are the greatest defenders of earth to ever exist.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in 4.1 i brought in balam for every mission with hectors i could. it didn't really work very well, as getting into fist fights with them was rarely productive. but well, who gives a poo poo.

i never used barga that much, by comparison.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Re: air raider in caves

Spawn depth crawler
Attach turrets to top
(Optional) attach power post to top
Get in, climb onto the ceiling
Drop out, activate turrets
Spawn a new crawler for yourself so you don't die in one hit

This blaspheming of the depth crawler simply will not stand. If you have the mission packs, the final depth crawler moves like 5x faster than the other end-game crawlers. Dashing fencers and wing divers can barely keep up with its speed. It is truly an air raider's best friend.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That Crawler was nuts and it moves faster going diagonally. Not crappy like the special Nix that can shoot for a minute and have to be replaced. You end up with a dozen empty ones covering the field while playing tag.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if crawlers moved at walking speed when holding forward i would like them a lot more

getting outrun by non-vehicle players not using movement abilities unless i spend the whole level contorting my camera to do the diagonal walk blows

they're also made of paper. but i quite like their guns and sticking stupid stuff on top of them so who's to say if they're good or bad really

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

LeFishy posted:

Explosions, guided explosions, Rita Repulsa, Megazord.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

sky gun in 5 owns, just, a lot

being able to call in airstrikes almost as fast as rangers shoot rockets was a gamechanger

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
EDF6 when

I want shoot bug

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Runa posted:

sky gun in 5 owns, just, a lot

being able to call in airstrikes almost as fast as rangers shoot rockets was a gamechanger

It owns. I love when a bombing run recharges everything else, so you can spam fire and brimstone like a loving volcano wizard.

That early giant open plains map (mission 30'ish) is my go-to when I just want to blow poo poo up. Tons of EDF vehicles protecting you (with the power of the REQUIEM CANNON!), all the enemies are a thousand meters away, and there are no buildings, cover or shield units, so you're painting the ground with murder beacons 95% of the time. I'll bet they designed that mission specifically as an Air Raider showcase.

This series loving rules.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

brute force is the best level and i wish there were more massive scale levels like it

i'm also rather partial to iron wall (just a shitload of frogs being thrown at you and your defensive holdout of npc buddies) and these are both before mission 35

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

LeFishy posted:

Most of my opinions have been echo'd already, but sky lasers are great on most levels. It's not uncommon for me to have a bulge and spritefall. I forget the name of it but later on you get a sky laser which is a quick one-shot with super low recharge cost and I love that one.

Some of the airstrike are really great but on most you have to watch for friendly fire. The I know the "X18" one you get does not hurt your teammates (un)/(fortunately).

They're more circumstantial, but I also enjoy the rockets. On any of the big anchor missions, the Tempest seem more or less required.

I dislike most of the beacon-gun-based airstrikes, but there are a few which are very effectively. The ones which have a lot of beacons before you need to reload can be good, or the ones which are a space machine gun. I've had less luck with the big-gun types of shots.

On the vehicle front, grape or ambulance are my usual go-tos. Nix is fun and can be good. Barga and tank can be fun but seem to be very niche. Helis are still bad.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did anyone enjoy the Free Bike? They buffed it for EDF6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, crashing it was fun enough. there was also an early stage with pylons, a lot of running, and roads where it was pretty useful.