Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Quixotic1 posted:

So coming from a Latin family most of my coffee experience is from ventanitas, and moka pots with Cafe Bustelo making coffee or just the espumita for others.

I'm looking for a present for my mom and was thinking of some coffee for her that goes well with the style they're used to or maybe upgrading the moka pot(some no name brand from the 70 or 80's I think).

Also what is the thought/research on the espumita.Like, has anyone added real expresso to it and does it make a difference.

Moka pots are simple devices. Outside of the basket, they tend to mostly be and brew similar.

James Hoffman did some absurd testing with Moka pots if you wanna figure out if your moms model is fine, but it’s probably fine. Outside of ensuring your technique/ratios are correct, anything to make the Moka brew better is mostly going to be down to finicky poo poo I doubt your mom wants to do.

Moka pots are dead east and quite forgiving. Moving to a true espresso setup will be a lot of extra work on your mom, and I’m guessing that’s not what you’re looking for.

For upgrading a Moka brew, I’d probably focus on getting quality beans for her. Go to a good coffee shop or roaster, buy the darkest roast they have (bustello is probably darker than any roast you’d find), and ask them to grind for Moka pot. Then tell your mom to keep it in the freezer, and she can brew straight from frozen.

Regarding the espumita, that seems to just be whipped sugar. Unless she prefers real espresso it shouldn’t matter.

You could get her something to make the espumita easier. An electronic milk frother, electric whisk, or tiny immersion blender would do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

James Hoffman did some absurd testing with Moka pots if you wanna figure out if your moms model is fine, but it’s probably fine.

Moka pots are dead east and quite forgiving.

Did you watch said videos?

I would think moving them to a clever dripper or similar would do the most for taste, but they probably like harsh and bitter Moka brews at this point so just get them some medium roast coffee?

thotsky fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 27, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Quixotic1 posted:

So coming from a Latin family most of my coffee experience is from ventanitas, and moka pots with Cafe Bustelo making coffee or just the espumita for others.

I'm looking for a present for my mom and was thinking of some coffee for her that goes well with the style they're used to or maybe upgrading the moka pot(some no name brand from the 70 or 80's I think).
If they’re using a no name brand moka pot I think the most straightforward “upgrade” is just a nice Italian moka pot. It might not actually taste better but it’ll feel fancier and that might make brewing a happier experience. Plus it’s a cool gift.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I found a flair with bells/whistles for sale when I swept in to bid with 3 minutes left, Ebay kindly kicked me in the nutsack and told me I couldn't bid on anything for no good goddamn reason.

I tested the exact same thing today and voila, my bids go through.

In summary, gently caress you ebay. I could have been on my journey to getting mad at coffee early.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Any recs for good shops in Portland, OR that do funky roasts

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.
I've had a Baratza Maestro forever and it's been a great grinder for my needs. I only ever make coffee in a Chemex so I don't need a bazillion settings. I know Baratza has great customer support and I can pretty much rebuild it from scratch but I thought it might be time to look at something newer.

I've looked and the following brands but thought I see if anyone has any suggestions I haven't considered. Baratza still has the Encore which I believe is an upgraded Maestro. They also have some fancier ones which are probably packed full of features I'll never use. I have a Fellow kettle I really like so I'm also looking at their Ode and Opus grinders but I'm not sure how long those will last.

I usually make 4ish cups at a time in the Chemex so a hand grinder is out. Is there anything I'm missing that you would suggest?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Ok, these loving Niche are hard to find.

I -on a whim- put a bid on a sette 270 but I'm hearing they're rocket engine-loud.

If that gets sniped by someone :pray: I'll throw money at a new Encore ESP. Then I'll move on to finding the right espresso machine.

My wife has decided she's got a stake in this game and demands I get something that can steam milk.

I'm toying with the Bambino just to get the workflow down and begin playing around. I fully expect I'll upgrade to something a bit more fun later.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

sugar free jazz posted:

Proud Mary is probably what you're looking for. They always have some coffee made with a crazy process.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I -on a whim- put a bid on a sette 270 but I'm hearing they're rocket engine-loud.

If that gets sniped by someone :pray: I'll throw money at a new Encore ESP. Then I'll move on to finding the right espresso machine.

My wife has decided she's got a stake in this game and demands I get something that can steam milk.

I'm toying with the Bambino just to get the workflow down and begin playing around. I fully expect I'll upgrade to something a bit more fun later.

Bambino is more than capable/just make sure it comes with an unpressurized portafilter. Lance Hedrick did a review on one maybe a month back.

You can spring for the bambino plus which froths the milk for you, which might be nice if the wife wants a drink and doesn’t want to deal with anything other than pulling a shot.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Love my Bellman steamer...

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Whoa, those are cool.

:smith: No, stick to the plan, no scope creep.

nwin posted:

Bambino is more than capable/just make sure it comes with an unpressurized portafilter. Lance Hedrick did a review on one maybe a month back.

You can spring for the bambino plus which froths the milk for you, which might be nice if the wife wants a drink and doesn’t want to deal with anything other than pulling a shot.

Funny bit is, she's a former barista and wants to make the drinks but isn't a coffee drinker. I'm basically getting an occasional live-in cappuccino service.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/14i283c/aita_for_giving_away_my_wifes_espresso_machine

My wife thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat, my buddies are on my side since it was a mistake. I don't know what to do.

My wife Jane loves coffee. She used to work as a barista before getting a corporate job but she carried it forward and regularly makes us coffees with fancy patterns. She has a really fancy espresso machine with a grinder and they're her pride and joy. We often joke that it's the third wheel in our marriage given how much she's interested in the drink.

I thought for an early birthday present, it would be nice to get her a new one. I saw this seller who can refit espresso machines and customise them so I thought it would be nice to get one that has olive and sage green accents. I'm quite proud of myself for thinking of it and it would look a lot nicer in our kitchen. Hers right now is stainless steel and reflective which stands out like an eyesore. So I got in touch with the seller and he agreed and he also helped me refit 2 portafilter handles with olive wood. One of them has her initials carved into it and the other says "Happy Birthday Darling" with a heart. I was going to give her this today and then show her the machine. I also got her a new grinder and had that match the espresso machine. Thoughtful right?

Well there was an issue with delivery so her new machine got delayed. My buddy came by late last night to pick up her machine and grinder which I let him have because of the new one, and then in the morning she would have come down to see the new machine. Now there is no machine. She flipped out asking me what i'd done with it because it was pretty obvious it was missing so I said I'd given it away to my friend because he needed it.

I didn't want to ruin the surprise. She asked me why I didn't think to tell her and I didn’t know what to answer so I just said that his broke and he needed one. We went back and forth for a bit and then she said she was going to go to a cafe and left. She came back and then I forfeited what my plan was and she was thankful but still annoyed I'd given her machine away without at least asking her because it has sentimental value to her (her brother bought her the machine as a gift for landing her corporate job).

My view is that it would have ruined the surprise if I'd told her and the shipping only showed it was delayed this morning. I did message my buddy to see if we could get it back for now until the new one comes but he said his parents are using it and I don't want to inconvenience them over a misunderstanding.

AITA?

Jesus did not think this would be so huge. I am wrong, gonna message my buddy and offer to pay to help his parents buy a machine and grinder for the inconvenience

Okay, I'm going to bed now. This replies were a lot to read. I plan to apologise to my wife in the morning with her Gaggia and grinder and beans. I also am going to let her set up the Linea and Niche. As some people pointed out, my setting things up might mess with the original settings or something and the setting up is part of the joy of having a new machine.

People who are saying to go and get in my car right now (1am) and get the machine back. I am not doing that because as much as I hosed up with this, it's a separate issue to wake up his parents and possibly neighbours at this time. Me getting the machine now makes no difference to me going over in the morning while my wife is having her lie in or just lounging in bed as she normally does until 10am on weekends.

Also everyone who's saying that my wife should divorce me, things are not black and white. Jane was thankful for the machine. An apology and me getting back the Gaggia will smooth this over because this really was me just being stupid and not thinking.

Thank you all

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 29, 2023

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

sugar free jazz posted:

I asked this a couple of years ago and was recommended Extracto.

Was only in Portland for a little while but the couple of bags I had were good. They also did free delivery to certain zip codes which was nice.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

:sever:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

As Reddit continues to get shittier, only the dumbest people will keep posting there, and I’m here for it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
:siren: My wife :siren: showed that post to me, and was well aware just how hosed up that story was.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I'm buying stuff for V60. I watched Hoffman's V60 Filter Paper comparison video, and ordered these off amazon:

However these are what showed up:

Is this just new packaging, same filters?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

So I'm buying stuff for V60. I watched Hoffman's V60 Filter Paper comparison video, and ordered these off amazon:

However these are what showed up:

Is this just new packaging, same filters?
You received size 01 filters when you presumably ordered size 02 filters

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vegetable posted:

You received size 01 filters when you presumably ordered size 02 filters

Sorry the ones I got are the size 2 version I just grabbed that google image without looking at that. It's the different box that's throwing me off. Imagine that same box with size 2 instead of size 1.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 30, 2023

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Was on vacation in Hawaii last week, and the Hilo Coffee Mill was just down the road from our rental house, so went and got some beans and got to hang out and chat with Sean (?) the roaster for a while and talk coffee.

Really cool place, sampled lots of coffees (the coconut blend was surprisingly good, and the pineapple was as weird as the girl out front said it would be).

Plus there are the ever-present chickens.

https://imgur.com/gallery/pAHLMWe

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
The coffee in Hawaii was loving awesome.

I rented a nice road bike and rode a bunch of Oahu, stopping at shops and started my ride at Green World.

hrrnngggg love it.

edit to avoid white noise posts:

My bid for a Sette 270 got beat (thank gently caress) so I put that money into the Encore ESP with the single dose hopper and money to spare.
Work gave me a 120$ gift card so that's going to offset the cost from the Bambino to the Plus.

Looks like everything is coming up Milhouse.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 1, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is the cloth filter for the aeropress good? I'm just ripping through paper filters.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Profitec lever started squeaking, I took the assembly apart, applied food safe silicone grease to the cam surfaces, then put it back together. And I understood what I was doing. Feeling glad I got this machine, this is why I wanted something of this ilk rather than more complicated.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Profitec lever started squeaking, I took the assembly apart, applied food safe silicone grease to the cam surfaces, then put it back together. And I understood what I was doing. Feeling glad I got this machine, this is why I wanted something of this ilk rather than more complicated.

Good job! I remember being nervous the first time I took apart my group head to lube the cam.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I just had a new coffee from black and white, part of their future series, that tastes like a hazy IPA. It's amazing what folks are doing or there with beans these days.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 2, 2023

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Is the cloth filter for the aeropress good? I'm just ripping through paper filters.

I can't speak for it. But I will say the metal one I have does great.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Carillon posted:

I just had a new coffee from black and white, part of their future series, that tastes like a hazy IPA. It's amazing what folks are doing or there with brands these days.

You have a link? That sounds wonderful.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

https://www.blackwhiteroasters.com/collections/funky/products/r-the-future-hazy-juicy-ipa

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You have a link? That sounds wonderful.

Their tiki was also awesome as well. A local shop opened up mainly serving their stuff, so I've seen a few different blends of theirs.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I love Black and Whites cinnamon anaerobic, pretty much all their coffee rules

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I got a cheap moka pot recently and after a little set up it's going well, paired with my bellman milk frother it's pretty good

Glad I have a backup for when my espresso machine breaks

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Deathlove posted:

I second this. I love my metal filter.
https://ablebrewing.com/products/disk-coffee-filter

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

God drat everything came together today for a delicious cortado using the robot and some home roasted (kaffelogic) Burundi kayanza munkaze. Coffee rocks

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Google Butt posted:

God drat everything came together today for a delicious cortado using the robot and some home roasted (kaffelogic) Burundi kayanza munkaze. Coffee rocks

:nice:

I've got a nice sealed bag of coffee in my freezer waiting for that Bambino.

What, if any, is the limitation of using medium roast beans on an espresso machine? Is there such a thing as an espresso bean, or is that just marketing?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah there's no such thing as an espresso roast. You can roast them to a level to taste the way you like it. Most of the modern American coffee shops use a light or medium roast for espresso though.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Cannon_Fodder posted:

:nice:

I've got a nice sealed bag of coffee in my freezer waiting for that Bambino.

What, if any, is the limitation of using medium roast beans on an espresso machine? Is there such a thing as an espresso bean, or is that just marketing?

medium roast beans are perfect for espresso. You will sometimes see "espresso roast". That either means it's 1. medium-dark (the "traditional" roast level for espresso, but not necessarily the best) or 2. It has been roasted with a "roast profile" especially designed for espresso, which basically accounts for entire the temperature/time curve, not just the color of the final product. But the difference in the result will be subtle and you shouldn't bother searching it out unless you would like to.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
If anyone is on the fence on getting a machine and getting started, for under $550, I found these to be the ticket:

Grinder:
https://www.baratza.com/product/encore-esp-zcg495 - $200

Machine:
https://remanufactured.brevilleusa.com/products/rm-bes500bss?_pos=1&_sid=cab47568a&_ss=r - $335

I'm going to try this route and see how the adventure turns out.

This poo poo arrives next week. I'm very excited.

The Bambino Plus has a thermoblock, does that make it a heat-exchanger?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We have the Bambino at work and it works fine and you have the choice of using the pressurized filter if your grinder sucks. My only complaint is that the machine is too light so whenever you attach the portafilter it will move the whole thing unless you hold it in place.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Mu Zeta posted:

We have the Bambino at work and it works fine and you have the choice of using the pressurized filter if your grinder sucks. My only complaint is that the machine is too light so whenever you attach the portafilter it will move the whole thing unless you hold it in place.

I had that as a worry. The Bambino holds 47 oz of water and is like 9lbs. Hopefully the Plus is a bit heavier at 10+ lbs and 64oz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Deathlove posted:

But James Hoffman says the metal filter makes it taste bad

e: yeah, I know there's no way I could taste the difference. I didn't realize the cotton ones have a pretty short lifetime. Metal it is. Funny that a metal filter, 3 cotton filters, and 700 paper filters are all the same cost. Metal makes more sense for me anyway for travel, it'll be dry and packable quicker.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 3, 2023