Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Please stop the fuhrerhitler tweets I'm begging you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Ardennes posted:

That better not be a real post

I was really hoping the second paragraph would make it clear that the first paragraph was just parroting the nazi justifications raised for the eastern europeans getting "revenge" on the supposedly Jewish soviet union.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

if they do this and cruise missiles start falling on my house i am going to make such angry posts before i die

just kick down the door of the rotten house michael what it's gonna cost, a few blown up leopards that ensures 100% crew survivability?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Are you sure Poland troops fighting Russia in Ukraine will trigger A5? I thought a country sending troops on their own would not trigger A5.

Also who cares about Lithuania. Its an European city that pretends to be a country. There are 100 cities in Asia with a larger population. They are going to send 2 helos and 8 tanks?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Are you sure Poland troops fighting Russia in Ukraine will trigger A5? I thought a country sending troops on their own would not trigger A5.

Also who cares about Lithuania. Its an European city that pretends to be a country. There are 100 cities in Asia with a larger population. They are going to send 2 helos and 8 tanks?

The article 5 thing isn't a tripwire in any case. All it says is that all the NATO countries get together and discuss what are appropriate actions to take. I think it might serve the states interests to put it out there like it's some automatic wrath of god type scenario that will befall anyone who even looks funny at a NATO alliance partner, but it really doesn't have any teeth on it's own.. it will still come down to whatever the US wants to do.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

I was really hoping the second paragraph would make it clear that the first paragraph was just parroting the nazi justifications raised for the eastern europeans getting "revenge" on the supposedly Jewish soviet union.

The Soviet yoke part kind of threw it off, ngl.

------------

It seems like NATO troops engaged in open combat, even if it doesn't trigger Article 5 is eventually going to make it an inevitability. I don't think a brigade would make a difference, but it certainly would put NATO to the test. Honestly, NATO has far more to lose than to gain unless they really just want nuclear war.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Jun 28, 2023

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

they’d do a 12th round of sanctions and then the little psycho baltics countries might get a bit antsy that article 5 isn’t a “we get to control the US army” magic spell

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think that's more Latvia.

Lithuania looks like 2 cities on Google maps.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Starsfan posted:

The article 5 thing isn't a tripwire in any case. All it says is that all the NATO countries get together and discuss what are appropriate actions to take. I think it might serve the states interests to put it out there like it's some automatic wrath of god type scenario that will befall anyone who even looks funny at a NATO alliance partner, but it really doesn't have any teeth on it's own.. it will still come down to whatever the US wants to do.

We should definitely put it to the test. I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

loving 911 tripped article 5 so it’s as mentioned what ever the USA wants to do

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Invoke article 5, USA extends an unlimited line of credit for the baltics to buy more himars launchers

Now what, Putin

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Ardennes posted:

The Soviet yoke part kind of threw it off, ngl.

Yeah I think in this very thread there's been pretty compelling evidence posted that the Soviets invested more into the baltic states and people in those countries had a higher quality of life than pretty much anywhere else in the Soviet Union, and that the idea that everyone else struggled to feed the ethnic Russian core was highly questionable or unsubstantiated at best... but that won't stop the people who want to ban all symbols of their history as part of the Soviet Union from whining about it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

seems like one of the issues Eastern Europe had with post war reconstruction was that Nazis murdered everyone

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

The Oldest Man posted:

Invoke article 5, USA extends an unlimited line of credit for the baltics to buy more himars launchers

Now what, Putin

Poland bought a comical amount of HIMARS, and Lockheed said "thanks for the money, no we will not be making that many lmao"

Now Poland is buying South Korean MLRS

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

Yeah I think in this very thread there's been pretty compelling evidence posted that the Soviets invested more into the baltic states and people in those countries had a higher quality of life than pretty much anywhere else in the Soviet Union, and that the idea that everyone else struggled to feed the ethnic Russian core was highly questionable or unsubstantiated at best... but that won't stop the people who want to ban all symbols of their history as part of the Soviet Union from whining about it.

Granted, a lot of it even in the 1980s was that elements of the Baltic intelligentsia clearly had more contact with the West, and that was a big factor in making moves when things started to get difficult. Also, the Baltics, being more privileged than most of the Soviet Union besides Moscow, were more inclined to get upset when supply started to fall apart.

The food issue itself wasn't even connected to currency reserves, the Soviet Union actually had enough food on paper, but that Gorbachev started to give collective farms more autonomy while allowing individual SSRs to block food shipments to other ones, which created complete chaos.

The chief reason why the West is crowing so much about Pirgozhin is that Gorbachev literally wrecked his own country into the ground.

------

Also, the Poles clearly aren't ready to put beyond maybe 5,000-10,000 troops anyway because their ground force is actually pretty small considering the scale of combat and they still need to keep a reserve force (and also they already gave a huge chunk of their tanks away).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:31 on Jun 28, 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Starsfan posted:

reminder that anti-semitism, anti-russian, and nazi-ism are all connected and related! judeobolshevism!

1/8th of the soviet union died in the holocaust!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

reminder that anti-semitism, anti-russian, and nazi-ism are all connected and related! judeobolshevism!

many such cases

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

euphronius posted:

seems like one of the issues Eastern Europe had with post war reconstruction was that Nazis murdered everyone

Not everyone; that was the Soviet Union. The nazis only killed a very specific subset of people, as we all know.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Are you sure Poland troops fighting Russia in Ukraine will trigger A5?

Yes

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I mean Poland is angling for that sweet western Ukraine land. It make sense for them to invest more in the war than other NATO countries. Lithuania is just a idiot who can't wait to show the world their Orc hate boners.

Realistically how much more weapon can Poland donate to Ukraine? Give..20%, 30% of their inventory? Hell they can give 50% its not like they are going to use them in other directions. They don't need to defend their Belarus border because of strong A5 spell protection. So how many more mechanized asset are we talk about?

Lithuania's share of contribution will take up 2 reddit drone videos, 3 tops.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

stephenthinkpad posted:

If US soldiers fighting in Ukraine does not shift the needle i doubt polish ones will.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I saw an interesting point being made yesterday that Poland is less likely to get a slice of Ukraine if Blackrock and the rest of international capital gets to loot it, than if Ukraine got territorially partitioned between Russia and everyone else with an irredentist claim.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Starsfan posted:

the history chap that did the deep dive into lviv / lvov before and after nazi occupation took great pains to point out that the soviets were well aware of the ukrainian nationalists being a problem, but that they could “drain the lake” of resentment by increasing the quality of life of the people

so actually it’s an evil soviet plot to improve the life of its citizens

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

so is surovikin actually being detained or is this just a weird propaganda point

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

so is surovikin actually being detained or is this just a weird propaganda point

The video they released of him pleading for the Wagner people to go home was very strange, and people are using it as proof that he was under imprisonment and being forced to put out a call for his co-conspirators to back down.. but wasn't he holding a rifle in that video? Why would he have a firearm with him if he was in the custody of the FSB? I don't think there's been any proof presented either way to substantiate or disprove any of the claims being made.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Truga posted:

they need troops already in ukraine so they can secure their portion of the pie when partitioning happens, duh

Good news!

https://www.thedefensepost.com/2023/03/21/us-army-base-poland/

https://tvpworld.com/67683705/us-mi...2mpia%20Turzii.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Starsfan posted:

The video they released of him pleading for the Wagner people to go home was very strange, and people are using it as proof that he was under imprisonment and being forced to put out a call for his co-conspirators to back down.. but wasn't he holding a rifle in that video? Why would he have a firearm with him if he was in the custody of the FSB? I don't think there's been any proof presented either way to substantiate or disprove any of the claims being made.

I have listen to multiple analyses that he made the right preach to Prigozhin in the right time, and didn't point the blame to anybody in particular. And he probably would get another chance from Putin in the war.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Starsfan posted:

There is no excuse for the Lithuanians killing 95% of the Jews, but have you considered that some people in the Soviet leadership and the NKVD in the 30's were Jewish? Really makes you think about what crimes they committed against the Lithuanian people that may have brought those massacres on

It is really galling to me that these eastern European collaborator states just had to duck their heads down for 50 odd years and now it's ok for them to be outright Nazis and build their entire national identity on people who helped the Nazis round up all their victims because times were hard for them under the Soviet yoke.

Thanks Gorbachev, you couldn't roll in the tanks to keep your loving country together now there are loving Nazis everywhere

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

loving 911 tripped article 5 so it’s as mentioned what ever the USA wants to do

That’s the only time it’s been invoked though, and even then member-states’ participation was uneven. So I think if Poland tried to Leroy Jenkins into this war and invoke Art 5 they would be pretty much on their own.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

They surely can't be that stupid, right?

wow, this will cross another of russia's red lines. im terrified

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There are a bunch of military science books on this I can scrounge for, for you libgen heads they're usually titled something like "coalition warfare", but the gist is that the US has tried to assemble what I would call internal tripwire forces in NATO so that countries that are judged less likely to get involved in an all-out war are placed in situations where they will take very high casualties initially and draw their publics into the war. At the same time, since these are in mixed units supported by a US logistical umbrella, they can also move them out of the way so there are no casualties drawing them into wars the US doesn't want to support.

So, a handful of Canadian/German/French/British companies would be placed in the Baltic (oh dang!) so that if the shooting starts all of those countries are suckered in. However, since those countries can't maintain their force in the Baltic without US support, the US could also cause them to be withdrawn, leaving the Baltic countries on their own, knowing Article V won't have public support without the bloody shirt.

They do this with air and naval forces too lol.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

We don't spread disinformation, we spread nervous intel.
https://twitter.com/BMarchetich/status/1674047971141337090?s=20

Me furiously posting to fanfiction dot net to own the Russians, in lieu of producing actual war material.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

They surely can't be that stupid, right?

lol

lmao

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Now Putin has gone too far. Pizza Ukraini
https://twitter.com/BrigidLaffan/status/1674007081714610176

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The future free state of Galicia home guard.

This isn't drawing other people in, this is the first slice of the pumpkin pie.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Extremely curious who the conspicuous civilian woman is in the group photo. The photo credit is Staff Sgt. Philip Steiner, US Army, which is a little funny.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:24 on Jun 28, 2023

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Getting word and the italian defense force is deploying its most talented carpenters to Ukraine

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Also, the Poles clearly aren't ready to put beyond maybe 5,000-10,000 troops anyway because their ground force is actually pretty small considering the scale of combat and they still need to keep a reserve force (and also they already gave a huge chunk of their tanks away).

They'll just charge on horseback, it worked for them once right?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Starsfan posted:

Guns don't work without bullets. Haven't you ever seen an action movie where the hero gives the secret villain a gun and then when the villain tries to shoot the hero the gun is unloaded? Maybe they wanted to see if he would try to shoot his way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

They'll just charge on horseback, it worked for them once right?

The Miracle on the Vistula and its consequences have been a disaster for all mankind.