Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like his visible frustrated sigh like "I asked for a loving hat strap but nooo, that would detract from Nemesis' budget they said."

e: I think I confused his stun animation with a cute little sigh of frustration but he does do a more aggressive stride animation when you shoot his hat even though I don't think he actually moves faster.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://www.engadget.com/bloober-team-is-done-making-psychological-horror-games-163039512.html

hell of a thing to say when you're loving REMAKING SILENT HILL 2 :psypop:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm not really sure how they plan to work on the SH2 remake on account them disappearing so far up their own asses that they could not reach a keyboard. This is evident by the fact that they actually said the statement that they are going to try and work on "mass-market horror" which is apparently counter to what they did so far, the artistic geniuses that made Layers of Fear.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SH2 has combat instead of just running away therefore its mass market horror

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I read the article and there's nothing all that really objectionable about anything he said.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

exquisite tea posted:

I read the article and there's nothing all that really objectionable about anything he said.

It's just perplexing because they say they are going to switch into making mass market horror when they already make mass market horror. What they really seem to be saying is that they are going to try making action games, which is fine but just worded in a really pretentious way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

"Our previous titles had a lot of atmosphere and vibes but were lacking in gameplay (true) so since getting SH2 in 2019 we've decided to focus more on gameplay mechanics" - does not seem particularly pretentious to me. They want to make the next Resident Evil or Dead Space, not the next Amnesia, is how I read it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sakurazuka posted:

SH2 has combat instead of just running away therefore its mass market horror

It's weird that they added quick time events and bullet time to the remake. I dunno how I feel about the scene where James pulls out a mini gun, mows down a bunch of nurses and then smiles at the camera "Well, I guess these HILLS sure are SILENT now"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That would honestly be the most creative thing Silent Hill has done in awhile.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is this done by that youtuber who did that video of their rotting parents' house with an endless corridor?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

exquisite tea posted:

Well I read the article and I found all of it extremely objectionable!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Medullah posted:

It's weird that they added quick time events and bullet time to the remake. I dunno how I feel about the scene where James pulls out a mini gun, mows down a bunch of nurses and then smiles at the camera "Well, I guess these HILLS sure are SILENT now"

Unironic day one purchase

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Captain Hygiene posted:

Unironic day one purchase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c6Yh_zr1ls

Do I have the game for you...

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

like if it was just their original stuff then i would not be objecting either but the fact they are explicitly saying they're using SH2 as their first attempt at this bodes really bad for the remake itself lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:rubby:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The stock sound effects also used in GoldenEye 007 throw me off more than anything.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
That Callisto Protocol dlc ending. :shepface:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

That Callisto Protocol dlc ending. :shepface:

do tell

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/TheSphereHunter/status/1673864160072060928?t=51PxCL9oZ6fNGNwDcjXgZw&s=19

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
What’s the laziest thing to do with a game’s ending?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

What’s the laziest thing to do with a game’s ending?

I'm not terribly familiar with the game but from watching an LP of the DLC, it seems like it ends with a partial it was in your head! twist and also kills you which feels a bit like a double whammy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Maybe it's a good thing that game never hit my price point at the right time :unsmith:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is this done by that youtuber who did that video of their rotting parents' house with an endless corridor?

Funnily enough, I just checked their Twitter and they're making a horror game, just not one that looks like a creepy abandoned house. Almost looks like a dungeon crawler?

The creepy house tour (highly recommend if you haven't seen it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXnt2Z2D1E

Youtuber game:
https://twitter.com/PiroPito/status/1650111117166014464

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 29, 2023

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
After fighting yet another of the one boss fight they put in the game, your reveal is that the main character has been in a medically induced coma since somewhere around the climax of the game proper, and the doctor who at the end tells you that there might be another way out (as the stinger for the game proper's ending) has been keeping you alive despite your limbs rotting off and pretty deep monsterification. She's doing this because your brain is still hooked up to that one terrorist lady's brain, and by downloading her brain, or something, (that never really had a satisfying payoff,) she might be able to tell everyone the secrets of the evil hosed up Pubg prison. She's been pushing you to keep going and just a little more because she's at pretty high data completion I guess. She hits 100% data transfer and then a rock falls presumably killing both you and her. Surprise, you've been playing a coma dream so Calli2to Protocol can handwave away whatever it wants, thank you for your money.

In less depressing news, the Darkwood devs are making a game about turn-based soccer. They did an interesting little talk about what they've done since Darkwood and showed a few stills of two cancelled games they did. Was neat. Apparently Darkwood hit 1.5 million sales.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Read After Burning posted:

Funnily enough, I just checked their Twitter and they're making a horror game, just not one that looks like a creepy abandoned house. Almost looks like a dungeon crawler?

Youtuber game:

Looks p neat!

Also lmao at "it was a dream after all~" in 2023 I assume it was to shut down the franchise for good

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Medullah posted:

Remake SH2 in the style of The Twin Snakes, slightly improved gameplay, cutscenes directed by Ryuhei Kitamura

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Read After Burning posted:

Youtuber game:

This video is the closest thing to Silent Hill ever created in any media. It's incredible.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lifroc posted:

This video is the closest thing to Silent Hill ever created in any media. It's incredible.

It's so good an has the ability to completely blindside you if you don't know what it is.

What's great is contrasting it to the "making of" video which has the poppiest tunes and graphics laid across it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Remake SH2 in the style of The Twin Snakes, slightly improved gameplay, cutscenes directed by Ryuhei Kitamura

James grabs Eddie’s pizza, swings off the noose, and slams the pizza into Pyramid Head’s face before pole vaulting off the spear while complimenting Laura on her “great butt” as Angela douses abstract daddy with gasoline.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
How action-focused is The Chant? My friends and I play through games every week but try to lean towards narrative stuff - lulls without much forward movement in the story tend to get dull (or too much, like in a VN), though we like puzzle platformers like Limbo, Inside, etc. Probably the most actiony thing we'd play are things like the RE2 remake. How does The Chant compare to that? I've watched the first hour of it and it seems less focused on those elements, though I don't know how things change later on.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Mote like the callisto...uh...the callisto proctologi----the callisto proctology exam! :cool:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Morpheus posted:

How action-focused is The Chant? My friends and I play through games every week but try to lean towards narrative stuff - lulls without much forward movement in the story tend to get dull (or too much, like in a VN), though we like puzzle platformers like Limbo, Inside, etc. Probably the most actiony thing we'd play are things like the RE2 remake. How does The Chant compare to that? I've watched the first hour of it and it seems less focused on those elements, though I don't know how things change later on.

I'd say the amount of combat is about on a par with the Resi 2 remake, maybe a bit less frequent and more split up more into combat/non-combat sections.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Honestly, I hope SH2 remake is just complete trash. I don't believe Bloober are capable of making a better SH2, so instead of a mediocre disappointment, I hope it's at least going to be fun in a so bad it's good way.
I've never played their games but watched playthrough of them via Supergreatfriend, and while The Medium was... what it was, what really made me realize they don't know anything about subtlety is the bricked off doorway in Layers of Fear that had "CREATIVE BLOCK" written on it like it's a lovely political cartoon.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Mote like the callisto...uh...the callisto proctologi----the callisto proctology exam! :cool:

The Callisto GoToGameStopAndSellIt

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I hope the SH2 remake will be great and everyone loves it. Not gonna happen though, there are swaths of people ready to declare it mid because they don't like the dev, no matter how it turns out. You see that a lot these days with games people really enjoy and it's sad and transparent.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Like what?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I hope the SH2 remake will be great and everyone loves it. Not gonna happen though, there are swaths of people ready to declare it mid because they don't like the dev, no matter how it turns out. You see that a lot these days with games people really enjoy and it's sad and transparent.

Ready? This thread declared it bad actual years ago when it was just a rumor from a guy on Twitter

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Respect for the fans but SH is pretty much a dead franchise anyway, if the SH2 remake is bad who cares there hasn't been a good Silent Hill game in over a decade.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Two decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I can't put my finger on why, exactly, but I really liked Kona. I wonder how the sequel will turn out?