Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Potentially NBD tomorrow!

And figuring out how to tow a gravel bike on the back of a Kombi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Pannier rack with low side loops like the axiom journey on the one bike.

Put a towel between the fork of the other bike and the rack lift the front wheel up and position it where it won't touch anything moving and secure it with a crapload of zip ties.

Enjoy the trail a bike.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

EvilJoven posted:

Pannier rack with low side loops like the axiom journey on the one bike.

Put a towel between the fork of the other bike and the rack lift the front wheel up and position it where it won't touch anything moving and secure it with a crapload of zip ties.

Enjoy the trail a bike.

Used bungie cords instead, with my ulock for the oh gently caress securing:

Going to refine the process a bit, as I have two older bikes than those two to haul to one of our local co-ops. I think I'm going to take the boards off the pegs, then set the tire between them next time. It made the 5 mile trip though, including uphills. Starting was sketchy as gently caress, but I made it, so gently caress it.

Also belated NBD! :toot:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

evil_bunnY posted:

I’d really, really think about finding a way load it up lower to the ground (with like 4 quick detach baskets or whatever). This is going to ride like a death trap once you really load it up.

Goddamn i love that frame.

I have had it loaded up with around 30 or so kilos and it was a slow but manageable ride, I'm not stranger to awkward high centre of gravity rides, and it's honestly quite manageable if loaded up with bulky but not heaver groceries, which is what I'm mostly going to be using it for, like I don't plane on moving anything like a case of beer, just shopping bags, I don't really drive so I'm just after more volume than weight for errand running

.I'm well served by good , rideable.bikeways to my main transited areas so it's a slow, steady and considered ride home if I'm loaded up

It's an ersatz solution, but a solution, nonetheless.

Some sore of frame bag on the rear triangle could be good, I have some wire panniers I wanna put on it which would be nice too,

Jestery fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 10, 2023

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Entropist posted:

Buses work fine if they have dedicated bus roads that don't interact with other roads, similar to how light rail works. We have this in some areas of the Netherlands: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuidtangent

I've taken this Schiphol-Haarlem and it was pretty good. In the US (and also UK) local government is pathetically averse to taking lanes from drivers (as we know from bike lane discourse) or building bus-specific roads. So anything labelled "Bus Rapid Transit" is likely to be more like a normal, slow bus, than to meet the internationally recognised standard of BRT.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
My frame is from the 70s - should I run into any issues with modern back racks?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jestery posted:

I have had it loaded up with around 30 or so kilos
If that's all you'll ever carry you're correct in your not-giving-a-gently caress. Have funnn!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hot Diggity! posted:

My frame is from the 70s - should I run into any issues with modern back racks?

There’s some mount points that you need to mount _some_ rear rack. The majority of rear racks need an eyelet close to the rear axle. Take some pics.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have hauled two bikes with the Kombi before I've hauled anything else with it.

Including over 11 miles to take one of my older bikes to donate today :v:

there was a roadie who was going the other way as I neared the shop with the donated bike, and he definitely double take'd.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat loving wanker I hope you get fined to death:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
What is an unprotected bike lane if not a convenient stopping location for a private bus, taxi, loading van, or your average motorist looking for a place to check the gps?

Hell the cops can use it as a convenient lane to drive against traffic. It's so versatile!

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Ha. That is a protected bike lane, except for the 10 yards that bus is occupying. I even understand the reason why, there's not enough room on the roadway for a bus etc to make the turn without trashing the protection.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bearing balls are very cheap and very hard. FYI

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Denver's protected lanes are exactly a car width, so convenient for Uber eats.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Mauser posted:

What is an unprotected bike lane if not a convenient stopping location for a private bus, taxi, loading van, or your average motorist looking for a place to check the gps?

Hell the cops can use it as a convenient lane to drive against traffic. It's so versatile!

Great place to put a 4 foot wide “Share the Road” sign too

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Albinator posted:

Piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat loving wanker I hope you get fined to death:

If No Turn on Red Arrow isn't enough I'm not sure adding Right on Green Arrow Only is going to help. Yellow arrow behavior is just a crapshoot.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

kimbo305 posted:

There’s some mount points that you need to mount _some_ rear rack. The majority of rear racks need an eyelet close to the rear axle. Take some pics.

Thanks for this - ultimately I had to take it into the shop because it got hosed with pretty bad last time I was out, so having the shop install rather than doing it myself.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My boss: "Taking your bike to costco? That's insane"

Me:

e: so I think I want to get the front basket for it and the side bags that Yuba makes. Suddenly, I have a bike that can haul so much, and it's loving awesome.

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 17, 2023

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Wife and I have been remodeling our house and for several months I had to bring all our laundry to work so I could do it there. It was great to fit an entire weeks worth of laundry on my bike and hardly notice the weight.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_xRWRUoH1A

Cool video, it seems like some of y'all are finally learning? Maybe I will be able to visit America some day after all without feeling handicapped.

Quite expensive though.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Entropist posted:

Cool video, it seems like some of y'all are finally learning? Maybe I will be able to visit America some day after all without feeling handicapped.

Quite expensive though.

I prefer to cycle quicker than 5km/h, thanks anyway.

Weird that I hadn't blocked Entropist yet tho

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Entropist posted:

Quite expensive though.

That's incredibly cheap compared to every other Dutch bike I've priced out in the states.

I might just buy one.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Every time Entropist makes a post about omafiets in North America it's always turns out to be the same guy from here who ships in sea cans of bikes fished from the canals of Amsterdam to live their second life of being thrown into the Red. The guy in the video lost me when he said that coaster brakes are preferable because it leaves his hands free to use a selfie stick.

Coxswain Balls posted:

lol at that video making it seem like dutch bikes for people in need are common here in Winnipeg, and when I look at their site their bikes are $1.5k plus so it's still hipster bougie poo poo. The majority of the the winter bikes I see here are beater hybrids or department store mountain bikes, although fatbikes are becoming super common here as they come down in price with Costco and Canadian Tire options becoming available.

This is still the case from what I've seen, especially with how ridiculous bike theft has been getting here recently.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I just went for a nice two hour ride after work where I passed by the office I don't really go to much anymore on my fixie with a 2.8 gear ratio which is about my max that I can comfortably do with the hills here. I think a dutch bike would probably give me about the same workout trying to pedal that stupid heavy poo poo back up to my house, but there's no way a casual grandma could do it

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
My way is the only way.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The plain bicycle folks are cool but dutch bikes just suck. They're bad in traffic to the point of being dangerous and lol $700 bux after taxes just get a refurbished hybrid or rigid 26er MTB from The Wrench for $200 if you're looking for a cheap ride that won't get you killed the first time you have to dodge a pothole or an F150.

They'd probably be fine in a place with bike infrastructure that wasn't rear end and surrounded by psychotic assholes who's homicidal behaviour is backed by a precedent of letting people get away with murder as long as they do it with a car.

And they don't end up in the Red they end up at that scrap metal place in Point Douglas.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wait, am I seeing a different price list or something? The site said a new one was $500.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Bud Manstrong posted:

cool, it’s this discussion again

great job

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

cruft posted:

Wait, am I seeing a different price list or something? The site said a new one was $500.

The 3-speed version in the video is US$1100. HTH.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Talk about bikes who cares :justpost:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The guy at Plain Bicycle must be good at social media or something because there's always these articles and Youtube videos from elsewhere talking about how Dutch bicycles are taking Winnipeg by storm but I'm just not seeing it. The most common bikes here for workhorse beaters you see as cheap commuters are Sekines from the 70s and 80s because of the local plant. The peak of which is, as always, the VX GTO:

Chain guard, bottle dynamo, racks, fenders, the perfect commuter.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Well anyway, hi thread, I didn't know you were here. I ride my bicycle a lot.

Here's a picture of it from the wrong angle, LOL:

It's an IKEA Sladda. The one that was recalled because the belt snapped on some people. I've had the bearings fall out of a freewheel at speed, so I feel like the belt snapping at 9mph is something I can deal with: I didn't return the bike. It's still got the original Sladda panniers and I even had the front basket in the shed (it rattles a lot on bumps and was annoying). It lives outside under a shed I built for our bikes, so the panniers are no longer purple.

It's a good bike. I wish the handlebars went back more but I can't be bothered to fuss with it. Other than airing up the tires, it hasn't needed anything at all since I bought it in 2018. Maybe one day I'll replace the drivetrain, which I guess would involve rebuilding the back wheel. Ugh. Maybe I won't.

e: almost forgot, I have a New World Tourist in the shed. I'll be pulling this out in a few months when I start needing to make quarterly train trips from Santa Fe to Pasco for work.

cruft fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 29, 2023

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I bet that guy has a Dutch channel trying to hype Citibikes as a thing the Dutch need.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Terrible achievement get: commute in very unhealthy air.

Riding home last night was probably one of the creepiest rides I've done, and I had a mask on the whole ride except where I took a few drinks at stop lights.

iospace fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 29, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Ooo, I got to do that a couple weeks ago when the outside smelled like a barbecue and there was a visible thick haze everywhere when we were getting the Canada fires smoke down the east coast. Still got a lot of n95s!

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

You might get to use a few more, it's distinctly hazy here in DC today and I saw a lot of people masked up on my way in. I get burnt paint rather than barbecue.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wildfire smoke suuuuuucks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Albinator posted:

You might get to use a few more, it's distinctly hazy here in DC today and I saw a lot of people masked up on my way in. I get burnt paint rather than barbecue.

Yeah it's bad out here too and it's a bummer because I took today and Friday off to do some biking. I guess I'll just play videogames and read all day

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We had really bad air quality in CA a few years ago. North of ~160 and I velt noticably off. At 200+ I had to lay down after a few hours. I feel for you guys. Wear an N95 if you go outside, it makes a HUGE difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
A few years ago when the PNW was having its major smoke issues it became difficult to even walk the dog, our apartment was 90 degrees inside and everything reeked of campfire, it really sucked.