Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Here are the hot take successes from the last poll:

code:
SA user name:		Hot take receptacle:
Jimtech			Ben Simmons makes no threes during the regular season
Aye Doc			Celtics will look great in the regular season and crumble in the playoffs in 2022 Nets-type fashion
kalensc			Despite Chet going down, OKC makes a leap and qualifies for a Play-In game
verbal enema		Donovan Mitchell will play an integral part in the Cavs playoff series
punissuer		gobert will be the ex jazz player who falls flat
NickRoweFillea		KD can’t stand both Kyrie and Simmons, and requests a trade for himself or one of them
Tanglewood1420		Kevin Durant will be traded during the season
The Maestro		Kings will finish with a better record than the Mavericks
Alfred P. Pseudonym 	Luka will show up to camp in shape and will average 30 ppg this season
Hot Dog Day 63		Off-season coach horniness is strongly correlated with deep playoff runs with a loss in the semis (76ers, Celtics)
Iamsosmrt		One of the teams tanking for Vic will play surprisingly decently and win themselves out of contention, probably the Thunder.
Punkin Spunkin		The Kings will have a better record than the Lakers
Away All Goats		The Nets either miss the playoffs or get embarrassed in the post season again.  
big boi			The Nets will have a winning streak of at least ten games this season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Watch this end with lillard on the loving warriors

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
One way to prove that the people who think Steph is a bad defender wrong is to stick a much much worse defender next to him.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

and so it ends

https://twitter.com/dwightjaynes/status/1674176499786862592

e: this is from earlier today
https://twitter.com/dwightjaynes/status/1674146253494689794

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Gross

https://twitter.com/bradeauxnba/status/1674162376902311938?s=46&t=D747zhG7q5IbP6D-hKohuA

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Zogo posted:

code:
Aye Doc			Celtics will look great in the regular season and crumble in the playoffs in 2022 Nets-type fashion
kalensc			Despite Chet going down, OKC makes a leap and qualifies for a Play-In game
verbal enema		Donovan Mitchell will play an integral part in the Cavs playoff series
NickRoweFillea		KD can’t stand both Kyrie and Simmons, and requests a trade for himself or one of them
Alfred P. Pseudonym 	Luka will show up to camp in shape and will average 30 ppg this season
Hot Dog Day 63		Off-season coach horniness is strongly correlated with deep playoff runs with a loss in the semis (76ers, Celtics)
Iamsosmrt		One of the teams tanking for Vic will play surprisingly decently and win themselves out of contention, probably the Thunder.
Away All Goats		The Nets either miss the playoffs or get embarrassed in the post season again.  

gently caress The Celtics

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Zogo too scared to admit I was right

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

R.D. Mangles posted:

That is a very interesting observation to make... in Temecula!!!!!

gently caress it. Let's go loser. Temecula!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Lockback posted:

I have no idea what NAW's market is but I've heard if they bounced Prince they could re-sign NAW and use most or all of the MLE and still be under the tax, or at least the apron. That feels a bit like its undervaluing NAW but I could be wrong.
Provided they're unwilling to dip into the tax a year early, they've got about $13m after waiving TP (trade efforts must have fizzled which is a little surprising). They can basically drop the full $13 on one player or, and this is my preference, sign NAW and hunt a 4th guard for $6mish each.

IcePhoenix posted:

probably hoping the second rounders from the last couple seasons can fill in the void I guess?
With Anderson and Naz both in the rotation, there's not much room for Prince. Wolves twitter/podcasters are eager for Minott but expecting him (or last year's first rounder Moore) to play rotation minutes seems optimistic.

I'd be happy if the Wolves ended up with something like NAW, Jevon Carter, and a veteran minimum wing (apparently every fanbase plans to sign Watanabe to a vet minimum?) while jettisoning McLaughlin but I can't see Finch dropping both his security blankets from the bench.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article276831986.html

some heat news:
-thicc kyle isn't getting waived, they're fine opening with him on the roster if they can't find a trade
-Indiana and Detroit are the likeliest suitors for Strus, probably getting the mid level exception from one of them. thank god i wont have to watch max strus play ball for the heat in 2024

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Questionable hot takes:

code:
SA user name:			Hot take receptacle:
DC Murderverse			2024 MVP is gonna be Zion because he’s gonna come back perfectly healthy 
Arpanets			AD doesn’t get severely injured and the Lakers still stink.
Shrimp or Shrimps		Anthony Edwards will finish top 5 in MVP voting
Copper for lyfe			Been Simmons will score more points beyond three point line than he will from the free throw line. 
Dayvan Cowboy			Ben Simmons makes an all-NBA team
Gobias Ind.			Ben Simmons play over 65 games, makes an all defense team, leading the Nets to over 55 regular season wins
abagorn				Ben Simmons will average over 0.66 3PA per game
RCarr				Ben Simmons will be an All-Star and arguably in the MVP race at least one point in the season
indigi				Ben Simmons will have two triple doubles 
Strawberry Panda		Ben Simmons will win DPOY and shut up all the haters.
Athanatos			Benjamin David Simmons wins comeback player of the year
The Ninth Layer			Both the Lakers and nets will be play in teams and both will fail to make the playoffs 
Chairchucker			Cavs/Wolves Final series
yeti friend			Celtics will be a play-in team
bachtere			Damian Lillard will be a top 3 MVP vote getter
ScumLord69			Grizzlies will win the chip.
chilihead			Heat will miss the playoffs
scootermctiny			If kyrie leaves the nets he’ll never play in the NBA again 
Menstrual Show			LeBron won’t sniff the playoffs again.
skipmyseashells 		nuggets get a high seed and lose to the lakers or some other 7th seed in the first round 
toggle				Player sleeping with an owner
WaitsUp				Raptors will make the finals again because every other team is going to be too injured in their way.
Somewhat Heroic			Rudy Gobert will be redeemed as he hoists the finals MVP Trophy in 2023
Quizzlefish			Russell Westbrook will have the highest PER on the Lakers
Blind Pineapple			Russell Westbrook will make the all star team
Paul Zuvella			Russell Westbrook will not be on an NBA roster next year 
Anonymous			Suns won’t make it out of the first round of playoffs 
Tom Sellout			The Cavs will make the Eastern Conference Finals only to be undone by Donovan Mitchell's heroball nonsense.
duk2go				The Heat will tank for Wembanyama after having covid ruin their regular season
Anonymous			The Jazz blowing it up will work out for everyone involved, the Jazz will get Victor Wembanyama, the Twolves will take the next step as will the Cavs. 
Zogo				The Lakers will miss the playoffs. The Timberwolves are going to the finals.
stevie lee			The Los Angeles Lakers will have the worst record of all of the California teams by at least 5 games.
Traxis				The NBA season will be suspended temporarily after violence erupts nationwide on/following the election
joboo002			The Nuggets will be a Top 3 team in the league and then lose in the second round of the playoffs
Shamblercow			The Pelicans will finish in the top three teams in the West.
Eratik				The Warriors will miss the playoffs
Please Eat A Vegetable		Westbrook is currently a better fit for the Lakers than a healthy AD.
Coaaab				Zion will have an MVP-caliber season
cp91886				Zion will play 75+ games this year.
rivetz				Zion Williamson finishes in the top 5 of MVP voting.
Spring Break My Heart		Zion Williamson makes 1st Team All-NBA

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ben simmons generating more content than any other singular hooper in the pre-season. hero

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Dejan Bimble posted:

The players are in a bad spot because if they're locked out, there's nothing else for them to do. The broadcast networks would never back a players owned alternate NBA. So they just keep backpedalling.
Endeavor, who already represents many of the players, is deep into streaming with Fight Pass, WWE Network and PBR - and have the financial muscle to fight the league if they try to retaliate against their clients. Little reason to suspect players couldn't limp along by going with OTT distribution.

More importantly, NBA players could barnstorm much more easily than baseball, football, or hockey - most markets have multiple 10,000 person+ venues that can hold a basketball court (even ignoring the college facilities, since any of the sports could have it). It's all speculative, but I'd consider them the best suited of the 4 major PAs for a lockout.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

I looked it up and I can't find any recorded U Chicago players in the NBA. I was expecting some 6'5" Jewish centers in the 1940's but most of the notable basketball players were early NFL dudes who also played basketball.

Makes sense. UChicago dropped out of the Big Ten and abandoned all sports in 1946, three years before the NBA started.

But no one can ever take away having the first Heisman Trophy winner. R.D. Mangles is so loving jealous.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

gently caress

edit: whew

predicto fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 28, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, the NBA players could form their own league.

Like even things like the Big 3 with old dudes have 600k plus people watching it on tv, and they are able to book arenas.

But that poo poo would be a massive grind, that I don't think many have the appetite for.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i don't think this got posted when it came up earlier this week but i would like to lmbo at it once more, this is from 2019 after g6 of Warriors/Rockets:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/brian-windhorst-the-hoop-collective/id293376147?i=1000618073606 at 3:30~

quote:

This is what I remember: I am in the hallway outside the Warriors locker room as they’re coming off the court. First off, even though they were three time champions at that point, they celebrated winning that series and eliminating the Rockets on their homecourt without Kevin Durant, probably akin to as if they had won the Western Conference for the first time. They were just short of dumping water on each other, that’s how excited they were. As they were running down the hallway to the locker room, they were shouting down the hall towards the Rockets locker room “gently caress Chris Paul! gently caress Chris Paul!” They were done with him by then, and here we are four short years later, Chris Paul is a Warrior.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

predicto posted:

But no one can ever take away having the first Heisman Trophy winner. R.D. Mangles is so loving jealous.

He was also the first ever NFL draft pick but chose not to play.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Metapod posted:

Zogo too scared to admit I was right

My knowledge of video games could be better.

snyprmag posted:

League leader in 3's and second team all defense is pretty good for missing enormous amounts of time.
Looney does rule though.

Yes, he's one of the best 3P shooters in the league but his 2P shooting has turned very bad and makes his eFG% basically league average. His FT% is excellent but two FTAs per game doesn't move the needle much at all.

Draymond is still a good defender but a mere shadow of his glory days.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Paracaidas posted:

Endeavor, who already represents many of the players, is deep into streaming with Fight Pass, WWE Network and PBR - and have the financial muscle to fight the league if they try to retaliate against their clients. Little reason to suspect players couldn't limp along by going with OTT distribution.

More importantly, NBA players could barnstorm much more easily than baseball, football, or hockey - most markets have multiple 10,000 person+ venues that can hold a basketball court (even ignoring the college facilities, since any of the sports could have it). It's all speculative, but I'd consider them the best suited of the 4 major PAs for a lockout.

An All streaming fake nba would probably bring in 1/30th of current broadcast revenue if they were lucky. cut out owners but you still have overhead, so let's say, 25% cut for overhead. So who's up for that pay cut?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

i don't think this got posted when it came up earlier this week but i would like to lmbo at it once more, this is from 2019 after g6 of Warriors/Rockets:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/brian-windhorst-the-hoop-collective/id293376147?i=1000618073606 at 3:30~

Kick me off the court again, boy!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Dejan Bimble posted:

An All streaming fake nba would probably bring in 1/30th of current broadcast revenue if they were lucky. cut out owners but you still have overhead, so let's say, 25% cut for overhead. So who's up for that pay cut?
Generally the purpose of barnstorming etc during lockouts is twofold. One is to increase PR pressure on owners ("look, we're eager to play in front of these great fans and if you won't let us, we'll do it ourselves") and the other is alleviate financial pressure on players by replacing some of their lost earnings.

The aim is typically not creating a lasting competitor league or replacing lost (generally actually postponed) earnings 1:1.

Dexo posted:

Yeah, the NBA players could form their own league.

Like even things like the Big 3 with old dudes have 600k plus people watching it on tv, and they are able to book arenas.
The flexibility of the game is another HUGE advantage over the other sports. You mention Big 3 but I also think a multi-night 1 on 1 tournament would do huge numbers, even if it's only ASG lebel effort. Tough to do similar in baseball or hockey or football.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Paracaidas posted:

Generally the purpose of barnstorming etc during lockouts is twofold. One is to increase PR pressure on owners ("look, we're eager to play in front of these great fans and if you won't let us, we'll do it ourselves") and the other is alleviate financial pressure on players by replacing some of their lost earnings.

The charity game I went to during the last lockout turned boring pretty quickly. Barnstorming could be done better than that game but most people would only care about seeing stars. A bunch of rotation players with sloppy (or no) coaching won't attract much of a crowd.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Aye Doc posted:

Chris Paul's inside job revenge tour is going to be epic.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

three posted:

Chris Paul's inside job revenge tour is going to be epic.

He's already scouting out the tunnels under Chase Center, like Guy Fawkes

predicto fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 29, 2023

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/HoopMixOnly/status/1673429074012782594
I wouldn't normally post something like this here. However, I've been shocked by several friends' choices. imo it is obviously Kobe.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Zogo posted:

code:

I am officially an Analyst

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

verbal enema posted:

I am officially an Analyst

name checks out

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

I wouldn't normally post something like this here. However, I've been shocked by several friends' choices. imo it is obviously Kobe.

I would entertain arguments on leaving out Durant, tbh. Lebron, Shaq, and Jordan are the obvious untouchables.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Rescue Rangers was great

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Its curry cuz he a short bitch

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Lebron runs point and you leave Steph’s rear end on the bench because that would be the meanest defense ever assembled and an all time team on the other end no matter what

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Lebron would offer to play from the bench and be the best player on the team.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Spacebump posted:

It's obviously Kobe

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Kibner posted:

I would entertain arguments on leaving out Durant, tbh. Lebron, Shaq, and Jordan are the obvious untouchables.

Doesn't prime Durant do most things better than prime Kobe?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The real question is, what if Timmy D was the seventh

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Kobe leads the bench because he wants to chuck anyways.

My hot take’s spicyness was too powerful to include. Not that I want it to come true but it certainly has the potential.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Y’all are all wrong. It clearly asks “who gets pushed off the bench” which according to MindTrap logic means the correct answer is the best player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

i am a moron posted:

Lebron runs point and you leave Steph’s rear end on the bench because that would be the meanest defense ever assembled and an all time team on the other end no matter what

Lebron's should run point anyway. If you aren't playing Curry off ball for the spacing, it's basketball malpractice.

Kobe is the obvious answer - you don't want a guy who isos for low percentage shots in that lineup. MJ and Durant will give you all the midrange you could ever use, at higher efficiency.

Send Kobe to the bench so he can score 50 points per 48 against other team's second units.