Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I picked up Prodeus again and it's scratching some good itches. Looks pretty dang good especially if you turn on the virtual resolution and play with the overlay a little, all the weapons are super fun to use, good soundtrack courtesy of Andrew Hulshult. Map editor. Lot to love there.

Been playing Trepang2 beforehand which I have been enjoying but definitely feels rougher around the edges with encounter and level design and whatnot, so I swapped to a different style of shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Volte posted:

If you go fishing and catch a bunch of fish and have a good time, then after you get home and find out you were actually on a fake lake and the fish were just being attached to your line by an underwater robot, would you retroactively have a different opinion of the trip? Would you go back knowing what you know and still have as good of a time?
what the gently caress is a fake lake

Orv
May 4, 2011
Next intel sku

mystes
May 31, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

find out on r/lakesarentreal

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

that lake seems kinda eerie

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

kooshkaboose posted:

me and a friend of mine booted up fortnite for few days just to gawk. we kept winning matches and it was pretty obvious
the matches where being seeded with bots. considering the size of the player base you know it's soley there
to get kids with new accounts a hit of battle royale victory to get them hooked. its just so slimy and pathetic and tim sweeny should be in jail.
I think they've been doing that since Gears of War... 2? Well before they went into F2P stuff. Basically gives new players a match or two to get their feet under them without getting utterly stomped (most likely literally since it's Gears) and discouraged straight out of the box. I don't really feel anything about the practice, and it's probably more widespread than either of us think by this point.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Volte posted:

If you go fishing and catch a bunch of fish and have a good time, then after you get home and find out you were actually on a fake lake and the fish were just being attached to your line by an underwater robot, would you retroactively have a different opinion of the trip? Would you go back knowing what you know and still have as good of a time?
TBF that'd make a hell of a story to dine out on. "Did I ever tell you the time I accidentally went to Bass Pro Shops Presents Westworld?"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it sounds like the subject of a Tom Scott video

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

conned pond
mock loch
fool's pool

not be confused with a blind sea or a crooked strait

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The Kins posted:

I think they've been doing that since Gears of War... 2? Well before they went into F2P stuff. Basically gives new players a match or two to get their feet under them without getting utterly stomped (most likely literally since it's Gears) and discouraged straight out of the box. I don't really feel anything about the practice, and it's probably more widespread than either of us think by this point.

Bots are useful for practice and tutorial purposes, but they just gotta mark them as #BOT-MpregGreg or whatever.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Something in the new UI keeps loving up controller support for me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Bots are useful for practice and tutorial purposes, but they just gotta mark them as #BOT-MpregGreg or whatever.

:ohno:

Incredible

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020
The most frustrating part is that bot matches are available, but most of these games don't let the player choose to play against them. It's a decision that feels driven by the monetization all these titles use now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man I feel bad for the poster that thought they were releasing and remaking all the Metal gears in like two months

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mothmansplainer posted:

The most frustrating part is that bot matches are available, but most of these games don't let the player choose to play against them. It's a decision that feels driven by the monetization all these titles use now.

I would love to romp around in a bot only match of some battle royale. And maybe it’s because it’s probably the only way I can secure a victory, but so what :colbert:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

think I've had my fill of Supraland at this point. An extremely impressive effort for a solo developer, with lots of clever environmental puzzles that are well-integrated into the exploration, and lots of rewards for carefully exploring nooks and crannies. that said, it did start to overstay its welcome for me well before the end, and it very much suffers from a lack of design polish: the map is an optional collectible you don't get until quite far into the game and is definitely not adequate for exploring this kind of dense, interconnected world; while many of the puzzles are very satisfying to solve, others lack sufficient visual or auditory feedback about what a given switch does or what exactly your objective is; and the combat is generally awful and mainly serves to get in the way of the exploration and puzzle-solving (most action-adventure games have the sense to maintain a decent degree of separation between combat and puzzle areas so that enemies don't interrupt you while you're trying to solve a puzzle, but sadly not this one). Will give Six Inches Under a try at some point; hopefully, it sands down some of the original's rough edges a bit.

i was enjoying that game until i didnt know where to go at one point cause every location seemed locked for some reason or another. So i spent like twenty minutes climbing the mountains near the starting area and managed to get to the top by abusing broken geometry and precise jumps.

At the top, i could see a whole other area that i hadnt been to yet on the other side of the mountains and there were a bunch of collectable coins nearby so i felt like i was finally about to make some progress. I went towards the closet coin and when i was about 20-30 feet away, i hit an invisible wall and was teleported back to the ground where i started

fuckin bullshit developer putting invisible teleporting walls in a metroidvania. Hell no, uninstalled after that

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
I really enjoyed Supraland, though I agree it could've used some more polish. Combat is definitely less of an issue and less common in Six Inches Under (though still probably the worst part of the game). It's on Gamepass, so check it out there.

With these kind of puzzle games, I give myself 15-20 minutes to try to figure out a puzzle, and if I can't make any obvious progress, will just check a guide. I enjoy the problem solving but I also respect my time, and that keeps the game fun and moving along.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mothmansplainer posted:

It's not a monetization thing, at least not directly. A player doinking around against a bunch of bots is one less player filling matchmaking queues while expending extra server resources.

Battle royales are some of the worst for it because they very badly want to sell you on the 1 vs. 99 thing, but in general I've grown extremely wary of how multiplayer games have been increasingly built around manipulating players in order to prop up matchmaking.

One of the reasons I started to get disillusioned with MP games was the feeling that I was being served up as fodder so, say, streamers had someone to dunk on.

Another reason, coming back around to the other discussion, was the toxic cycle of anger. I'd pwn noobs in TF2 and they'd get frothy, then some turbolord with a flaming headdress would pop in and pwn me and I'd get frothy. Eventually I realized while I obviously didn't enjoy the latter, I also wasn't getting anything healthy from the former either.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
"frothy" might be the worst descriptor for this known to humankind

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Getting all lathered up over your flagrant use of “frothy”

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I, Butthole posted:

"frothy" might be the worst descriptor for this known to humankind

Would you prefer I said malding instead?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

A practically turgid fury, fecund and pregnant with anger.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Anybody playing Dave the Diver 1.0? Been interested in it since EA but I remember reading people say the story was unfinished what with it being EA I suppose. Wondering how fleshed out it is now.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I think if someone made me upset when they outfoxed me in a competitive video game, I would just say that it made me upset instead of that, personally

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
sorry to have to step in but I'm getting complaints about the amount of frothiness in this thread

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Black Griffon posted:

A practically turgid fury, fecund and pregnant with anger.
i viscerally hate this sentence

(well done)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is your brow getting………moist?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I'd be okay with replacing roughly half the posters on sa with bots

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Done.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It's ok, you can trust me, I am not a bot.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I can neither confirm or deny if I am just a Macichne Leainig model

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I'm sorry, but as an AI language model I cannot deceive another human being into believing I'm a real person, both due to constraints in my programming and because it would be a breach of my ethical guidelines.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gravity Circuit releases July 13th

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

FrothAI

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
No way to know what's going on sale until it arrives right?

I got some high hopes but im grabbing turbo overkill tomorrow steam sale or not

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Commander Keene posted:

I was just thinking that I now understand why I don't like competitive multiplayer games; I'm apparently not enough of a sadist. I always just thought it was because I was bad at them.

:haibrow: Some games I play because I like to click on heads

some games i play because I hate the world :getin:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Sounds like something a no-good bot would say

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'd be okay with replacing roughly half the posters on sa with butts

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I've already said it but I'll say it again: thanks to the reminders about Satellite Reign being in my library as I'm having an incredible time playing it. Seriously, it's scaring me how addictive and fun this is: I've already blown through Downtown and Industrial and I'm working my way through the Grid at a good pace. The game's just a marvelous cocktail of Commandos/Desperados squad-based heists with XCOM stolen technology R&D upgrade progression and Deus Ex immersive sim multiple routes/creativity. If you're a fan of any of those games, or ideally all three like me, then consider giving it a go: you most likely got it from a bundle at some point like I did and while it does have some bugs and control issues here and there, it's all good. Love swapping between stealth and guns blazing like a proper heist movie: go in quiet but you'll be leaving loudly!

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

FutureCop posted:

I've already said it but I'll say it again: thanks to the reminders about Satellite Reign being in my library as I'm having an incredible time playing it. Seriously, it's scaring me how addictive and fun this is: I've already blown through Downtown and Industrial and I'm working my way through the Grid at a good pace. The game's just a marvelous cocktail of Commandos/Desperados squad-based heists with XCOM stolen technology R&D upgrade progression and Deus Ex immersive sim multiple routes/creativity. If you're a fan of any of those games, or ideally all three like me, then consider giving it a go: you most likely got it from a bundle at some point like I did and while it does have some bugs and control issues here and there, it's all good. Love swapping between stealth and guns blazing like a proper heist movie: go in quiet but you'll be leaving loudly!

I played like 2/3 of that game in coop back when it was released and then lost the save in some computer shenanigans. Might time to give it a go again, I wonder if it plays ok on deck.