Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CPColin posted:

Your job's a joke (because you didn't get stabbed through the heart)
You're broke (because your society doesn't use money)
Your love life's DOA (because you're Geordi, figuratively, or Data, literally)

It's like you're always stuck in 2nd gear (because you're Harry Kim and you're never promoted)
And it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year (because you're Miles O'Brien and life is unending misery)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
It's like you're always stuck in factor four
well, it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your stovokor

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Feldegast42 posted:

So no one told you Starfleet was going to be this way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYd6Hfp74K8

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Arivia posted:

I like how in most of these Kate Mulgrew is like “oh? I don’t gotta be the captain with all these people depending upon me to get home? Great I can let my hair down, have some fun, and just get some good sleep”

Photographer: so what we had in mind for this one is just have some fun, everyone standing around

*Kate Mulgrew drags up a chair*

Photographer: *claps hands* okay then

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

Somebody really likes these cast photos that look like they're on a completely different show.

RE: upcoming photo shoot

PLEASE send in your measurements. it is VERY IMPORTANT that everyones clothes exactly match the sofa color and the tailor WILL NOT be done on time if you don't get those measurements in!!!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Photographer: so what we had in mind for this one is just have some fun, everyone standing around

*Kate Mulgrew drags up a chair*

Photographer: *claps hands* okay then

looking back at it it's "hey, all nine of us saw you from across the quadrantbar and thought you look pretty great. can we buy you a drink?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arivia posted:

I like how in most of these Kate Mulgrew is like “oh? I don’t gotta be the captain with all these people depending upon me to get home? Great I can let my hair down, have some fun, and just get some good sleep”

The boots in the first one are giving more 'I'm going to step on you and you're going to like it'.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
stole this from cspam

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

stole this from cspam

Fantastic, no notes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Blunt Spiner

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Blunt Spiner

Data is programmed to be able to taste and get drunk from alcohol but he chooses not to. Do you think Soong was 420-friendly too?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Beeftweeter posted:

stole this from cspam

I want to believe

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

zoux posted:

Ezri's fine I guess but man I would've loved a s7 with Jadzia. The way she went out, both irl and on the show, makes it so much worse too.

It sucks. Especially because they had the perfect opportunity for her to exit the show in a really dramatic way in the same season. The episode where Worf lets the Cardassian die for her. Her dying then would've hit way harder. I also hate the Dukat Satan arc so her getting killed by him added extra injury to the insult. (Dukat should've left the show with Waltz)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Arivia posted:

Data is programmed to be able to taste and get drunk from alcohol but he chooses not to. Do you think Soong was 420-friendly too?

It was the enlightened future, so definitely, yes

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Often Bong Soong

edit: it always bugged me what a crappy, soft, effortless nickname "Often Wrong" was. Did people in the 23rd century get too nice for proper putdowns?

"Moron" Soong

"Dipshit" Soong

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 29, 2023

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

davidspackage posted:

Often Bong Soong

edit: it always bugged me what a crappy, soft, effortless nickname "Often Wrong" was. Did people in the 23rd century get too nice for proper putdowns?

"Moron" Soong

"Dipshit" Soong

"Sheer loving Hubris" Soong

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
finished up with S3 of voyager- has a few good episodes in "real life"/"the chute"/"basics pt2"/"worst case scenario" but particularly "remember"- that one felt dark enough to have been a ds9 script

as for the rest I thought there was a notable decline- it felt pretty cheap at some points too, can't remember specific episodes but they were just kinda narrating the majority of the ship combat rather than show it more than once- and there were some really quite dull episodes like the time travel two parter, "before and after" and the q episode- nothing really offensively bad, just... dull, directionless tng rejects or rewrites

they also seemed to change kes into a proto seven of nine about halfway through the season, total outfit/hair change and apparently somewhere she dumps neelix but it gets like half a sentence of attention, unless I dozed off during an episode happened at least twice

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

This is my "get high af" hypospray, and this is my "poo poo the bridge just called Red Alert" hypo to instantly remove the high

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Often Bong Soong

"Moron" Soong

"Dipshit" Soong

I mean even in the episode where it's brought up Lore is dunking on the bad rhyme scheme. But those are often the ones that stick. Ol' Doc Soong gets worked up when someone calls him 'Often-Wrong' and that eggs them on and then it's a month later and the whole colony's heard it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DesperateDan posted:

they also seemed to change kes into a proto seven of nine about halfway through the season, total outfit/hair change

Jennifer Lien sometimes had rough reactions to the ear makeup, so they switched to her natural hair to cover her ears so she wouldn't have to wear it as often. The outfit change was supposed to make her look older as well. They felt they had leaned too hard on "she's just two or three years old!" for the first couple of seasons and wanted to emphasize "and by the way, that makes her an adult now."

DesperateDan posted:

and apparently somewhere she dumps neelix but it gets like half a sentence of attention, unless I dozed off during an episode happened at least twice

The actual breakup happens while in "Warlord," i.e. the one where Kes is possessed, which makes it tricky to realize that, yes, it's real. IIRC, there was only going to be a scene in the Neelix terrorist episode where they discuss having broken up, and even that didn't make it as far as being filmed; the producers just didn't care.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
mods please change my name to:

davidspackage posted:

Often Bong Soong

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Often-Bong has a broken heart
Dropped his burrito and it blew apart

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So last night's SNW just basically solved all the dated timeline issues (the"wait, I thought LA in 1996 was a nuclear hellscape, yet sarah silverman seems to be thriving" stuff) with a single line of dialogue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

So last night's SNW just basically solved all the dated timeline issues (the"wait, I thought LA in 1996 was a nuclear hellscape, yet sarah silverman seems to be thriving" stuff) with a single line of dialogue.

And actually gave the Temporal Cold War more focus and purpose than it had for 4 seasons of Enterprise

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It was an excellent line of dialog.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Can somebody post the line in spoilers? I would like to know more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd recommend watching the show because this is a mega huge spoiler but as spoken by a Romulan temporal agent: "Like so many people, I've tried to influence these events. Delay them or to stop them. I mean, whole temporal wars have been fought over them. And it's almost as if time itself is pushing back and events reinsert themselves and this whole thing was supposed to happen in 1992!" 1992 - 1996 being the period in which Khan was supposed to have been one of the great rulers of the world, which obviously didn't happen. The implication now is that any discrepancies in fictional histories set by once and future ST series can be explained by temporal agent shenanigans

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thank you.

I’m going to start a Paramount+ trial and try and binge through SNW. I’ve heard a lot of great things about it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

zoux posted:

I'd recommend watching the show because this is a mega huge spoiler but as spoken by a Romulan temporal agent: "Like so many people, I've tried to influence these events. Delay them or to stop them. I mean, whole temporal wars have been fought over them. And it's almost as if time itself is pushing back and events reinsert themselves and this whole thing was supposed to happen in 1992!" 1992 - 1996 being the period in which Khan was supposed to have been one of the great rulers of the world, which obviously didn't happen. The implication now is that any discrepancies in fictional histories set by once and future ST series can be explained by temporal agent shenanigans

Well, seen that idea floated before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpATLp5cPK0

And the Eugenic Wars of the 90s have always been a thorn in the side of Star Trek worldbuilding, since Trek likes to touch on the present every so often despite the war never happening. They always just floated around as a thing that happened at some point, and it was big, but hard to say any details for sure.

If the past of the Federation is stuck in constant flux due to temporal meddling, it solves that problem, and it also solves the issues of later shows being unable (and usually unwilling) to capture the vibe of the earlier shows despite doing a weird prequel circlejerk. The "original" timeline has long been overwritten, you can never go back.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MrMojok posted:

Thank you.

I’m going to start a Paramount+ trial and try and binge through SNW. I’ve heard a lot of great things about it.

all of season 1 is on youtube until tomorrow. i haven't tried myself but youtube-dl probably works

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not sure that's up to date, yt-dlp might be better.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, seen that idea floated before.

Ok, well, this guy needed 14 minutes and the show did it in 30 seconds in the middle of a pretty drat good episode without it feeling like grinding the story to a halt to deliver exposition.

So yeah, an excellent line or three of dialog.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, part of that 14 minutes is clips of earlier shows saying about the same thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ashpanash posted:

Ok, well, this guy needed 14 minutes and the show did it in 30 seconds in the middle of a pretty drat good episode without it feeling like grinding the story to a halt to deliver exposition.

So yeah, an excellent line or three of dialog.

I was being a bit glib, since the line only works in the context of the efforts of the episode. But it wasn't done through tedious exposition that involves being transported to a hallway of the Enterprise J so you don't really notice.

Marvel Comics has a similar problem, because certain characters are tied to historical events that are getting farther and farther from the modern marvel timeline. They have kind of a floating timeline where Now and The Last Five to Ten years definitely happened but stuff gets fuzzier prior to that. Frank Castle will just be a veteran of whatever the most recent asymetrical war the US just fought. It's trickier for other characters, not like you can just make Magneto a victim of the Khmer Rouge or the Rwandan Genocide, his past is inseparable from the Shoah.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
How come everyone debates Tuvix, but no one talks about Dax killing Curzon Odo?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

How come everyone debates Tuvix, but no one talks about Dax killing Curzon Odo?

Because she didn't? She just made him accept that he's already dead and has no right to withhold himself from the symbiont? In the end no one made Curzon go home other than Curzon

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I know. I was trying to make a funny.

Also, "Everything I have I lost I will regain" is some cold rear end poo poo.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 30, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
well yeah dukat is definitely a top-tier villain

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

People in Trek regularly kill parasitic sentient entities that only exist by purging the original being whose body they've hijacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Remember that time Riker vaporized his and Pulaski’s adult clones made by the weird clone people?