Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

Doesn't prime Durant do most things better than prime Kobe?

I think Kobe could be more disruptive to the other team's plans on both sides of the ball, even if Durant is a more efficient player on offense and more versatile on defense. His aggressiveness could be a difference maker compared to Durant's more laid-back play style.

e: i think Kobe could help generate more fast breaks on that team than Durant would, which could offset the efficiency difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Spacebump posted:

Doesn't prime Durant do most things better than prime Kobe?

Yes, pretty much everything. But he doesn't have sufficient dawg in him

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Kobe was a product of his time. His stats would look wildly different in todays era and I bet those impossible midrange shots would fill a huge gap. Curry and KD have a lot of overlap and as pointed out Curry is NBA short

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Spacebump posted:

https://twitter.com/HoopMixOnly/status/1673429074012782594
I wouldn't normally post something like this here. However, I've been shocked by several friends' choices. imo it is obviously Kobe.

Its Kobe OP

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
You leave Jordan off. Kobe gets the nod over him because he's played with Shaq before, and they're basically the same player.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963486

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Spacebump posted:

I wouldn't normally post something like this here. However, I've been shocked by several friends' choices. imo it is obviously Kobe.
Are they playing against plumbers and firefighters? Or real nba defenses?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I beg yall to stop falling for honeypot posts

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Metapod posted:

What’s ur top ten teams from 1986-2009

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Pg: wilt
Sg: dirk
Sf: hakeem
Pf: russell
C: shaq

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

It's off-season.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Imagining Hakeem, shaq, and Russell all closing out on the same rebound and slamming into each other so hard all of their arms legs and heads fly off mortal kombat fatality style.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

No no he’s right. Let’s talk about Poku some more

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

i am a moron posted:

Kobe was a product of his time. His stats would look wildly different in todays era and I bet those impossible midrange shots would fill a huge gap. Curry and KD have a lot of overlap and as pointed out Curry is NBA short

Everyone is a product of their time, and what gap are you talking about? Kobe's wild midrange shots would not fill a gap that Michael Jordan doesn't already fill better.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Metapod posted:

I'm bored. The Deal Zone is currently closed.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

predicto posted:

Everyone is a product of their time, and what gap are you talking about? Kobe's wild midrange shots would not fill a gap that Michael Jordan doesn't already fill better.

True. But the defense

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

There better be a big rear end WWE belt for the winners

https://twitter.com/ByTimReynolds/status/1674159582401134596?s=20
Already completely uninterested

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Spacebump posted:

KD

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Spacebump posted:

Obviously Kobe and its not close.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Lakers fans are delusional and think Kobe is an all-time great when in actuality shaq, duncan, and lebron, who were his contemporaries, were all way better.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I really hope one day the Cult of Kobe will die (not just cuz hes overrated but also for more hosed up reasons) but it sure don't look likely

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

i am a moron posted:

True. But the defense

Defense is important but winning in basketball is more about effective, efficient offense. Denver just proved that again. Besides, since Curry bulked up he has developed into a very good defender. Not young Kobe level, but still good.

On offense, the deep spacing Curry provides makes it impossible to set a defense that has any chance to stop the other 4 players. And Steph's pick and roll efficiency is already elite with Draymond Green, who can't even shoot. Imagine it with Lebron setting the screen. Either its a Curry wide open three or Lebron gets a 4 on 3 to exploit. It would be the most unstoppable play ever.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

since kobe's defensive and offensive peaks were like separated by a number of seasons, you can't like, combine them. can you????????? maybe you can

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think the best comment I ever saw about it was telling people that Kobe wasn't even the top position player in franchise history, arguably not even top 5 Laker of all time.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
why would you want a rapist in your team

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
If they are going to have a tournament during the season, make it more than just the NBA teams, grab some of the champions from other leagues or even G league, make it an FA/European Cup sorta thing

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BoonyPC posted:

If they are going to have a tournament during the season, make it more than just the NBA teams, grab some of the champions from other leagues or even G league, make it an FA/European Cup sorta thing

The tourny wins and losses count for your record, so you can have rando teams in there.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

BoonyPC posted:

By the transitive property the Adelaide 36ers were better than like 3/4ths of the NBA last year, toss them an invite.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

BoonyPC posted:

GLeague Champs, EuroLeague Champs, G-League Ignite, and ABL champs.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Kobe was entertaining as gently caress to watch play basketball no matter where you want to rank him on an all-time scale.

Just a wild ride of "You gotta see this."

That's the Tuesday Night Late Game Post-AllStar Pre-postseason Push scale of player watchability.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Athanatos posted:

Kobe was entertaining as gently caress to watch play basketball no matter where you want to rank him on an all-time scale.

Just a wild ride of "You gotta see this."

That's the Tuesday Night Late Game Post-AllStar Pre-postseason Push scale of player watchability.

no doubt. Probably the best highlight reel ever.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
We should just be thankful it wasn't someone like Allan Houston who got paired with Shaq and then Pau and chucked his way to fame.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

pentyne posted:

I think the best comment I ever saw about it was telling people that Kobe wasn't even the top position player in franchise history, arguably not even top 5 Laker of all time.

There's no question he's not a top 5 lakers but he's probably the best laker 2. He'd make first team but only if you were strict about position.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

pentyne posted:

I feel ya but lakers had some pretty good players.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

His prime also occurred during a weird transitional time for pace and shooting and defense. He won 2 championships without Shaq which is more than Shaq managed without Kobe. There are a ton of people that overrate him who watched too much sports center during the aughts. His defense was extraordinarily good during his prime. Steph’s offense is a luxury in this scenario, put him on the bench and you have one of the longest, most athletic, impossible to loving score on defenses you could imagine. Unless…

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Pg: wilt
Sg: dirk
Sf: hakeem
Pf: russell
C: shaq

My god

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

There's no question he's not a top 5 lakers but he's probably the best laker 2. He'd make first team but only if you were strict about position.

He was no Gail Goodrich

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

i am a moron posted:

No no he’s right. Let’s talk about Poku some more

Poku is my friend

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

do you have any idea how many times ive wanted to post this at mangles but couldnt find it thank you my friend

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Shaq on the bench and do the death lineup but LeBron replaces Draymond

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

TheKevman posted:

Shaq on the bench and do the death lineup but LeBron replaces Draymond

harrison barnes instead of mj?? no sir. sean livingston.