Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Putin is pretty stupid if he doesn't pre-emptively assault Poland

lol GMT almost almost on the money

Next War: Poland, the fourth volume in GMT's Next War Series. This game moves the action from Asia to Europe and allows players to fight a near future war in Poland as the Russians and their allies invade and NATO responds.

Only a portion of Poland is shown as Ukraine is assumed to be in the midst of a grinding civil war. The Russians are not the behemoth of the Cold War, but they possess good material and a much better trained army. The Baltics may fall quickly, although their forces may put up some resistance and make an appearance as reinforcements, and the front quickly establishes itself in eastern Poland as the Russian 6th and 20th Armies push forward while NATO rushes forces into the area spearheaded by the Allied Rapid Reaction Corps and followed up by whatever nation's troops respond to the Article 5 declaration. The question is, can NATO stop the Russians or will Poland be overrun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

I realized people might think I was joking, but it's a real thing and they really paid a contractor rather than "qualify" military instructors on it.

now we're cooking

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

poland will reenergize the war effort with their cutting-edge submarine door technology

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

I realized people might think I was joking, but it's a real thing and they really paid a contractor rather than "qualify" military instructors on it.

just put some stickers in the urinal of a fire with text that says “spray here to put out fire” with an arrow to the base base

where’s my grift checks?!?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

It's the biggest loving scam in the world. We had a civilian contractor come in and train us how to use a fire extinguisher on a fire extinguisher simulator during basic training.

I got to go to a big simulator with real fire and smoke. That was after basic though. For some reason I kept getting sent on a bunch of damage control assignments both on ship and off even though they never sent me to a rifle course.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

R. Guyovich posted:

poland will reenergize the war effort with their cutting-edge submarine door technology

bypassing the montreaux convention by having your submarines technically count as a house

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Starsfan posted:

2) Prigozhin's private catering company was paid over 1 billion USD to supply the Russian army with food over the last year, which I had no idea was going on but apparently has made Prigozhin a rich man.. We were all mocking Prigozhin for being a jumped up hot dog salesman, but I guess sometimes that line of work can really pay off!

Priggy's on the dollar

Negotiations piled high.....rus, wag, at the table

I.C.C. war crimes in the BUCHA

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 01:17 on Jun 29, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Ukraine's Defence Minister reveals reserves at the front not yet mobilised, and there are undisclosed successes

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The successes are just off screen having a great time not getting plastered by 152mm shells

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Ukraine's Defence Minister reveals reserves at the front not yet mobilised, and there are undisclosed successes

We have a million man army we're holding in research. No you can't see it.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A00APZTq1o4
All these people training on it look miserable. The one that's actually filled with water looks like it might be useful. No advice on what to do if the fire is larger than a CRT TV.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

BearsBearsBears posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A00APZTq1o4
All these people training on it look miserable. The one that's actually filled with water looks like it might be useful. No advice on what to do if the fire is larger than a CRT TV.

Any fire you can't confidently put out with a small extinguisher you call the fire department for. Thats usually the first lesson they teach you in fire fighting, always call for help on anything you can't immediately put out, because fire can get out of hand real fast

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Starsfan posted:

Not going to post the stuff in here but there seems to be video evidence posted in the usual places that the target in Kramatorsk was actually a hotel that was housing a bunch of Ukrainian soldiers and western war tourist types..

So is the story that the Russians missed the hotel and blew up the cafe on accident or that the cafe never existed; it was a hotel? Or is it some other thing?

Or they hit a hotel and a cafe, but they figured blowing up the cafe was worthwhile in order to kill someone else who might have been near the cafe?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I have come full circle and now respect the grift.

These charlatans deserve the money more than the army.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
NGL this fire fighting wii game look pretty fun. They just need to add some trophies.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

seems excessive

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Good news for Ukraine, #Ukraine has conducted #counteroffensive operations with differential outcomes

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

eh, that's just a poor man's Pyrosoft Fire Simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPvuw0tVYPE

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I have come full circle and now respect the grift.

These charlatans deserve the money more than the army.

The contractors that designed the elaborate screen and dummy extinguisher system, maybe, but the contractor that offers training with it?

Surely the government could just buy a bunch of the systems and then run their own training?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFx5sMZqrvM

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:17 on Jun 29, 2023

MissKeewi
May 19, 2013

Wow. I got to train on a real fire, and I was just a warehouse worker. I guess these elaborate systems are useful if you don't have a parking lot?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just reading when titans clashed and this passage jumped out at me for some reason

quote:

The German OKW confidentially “informed” its Soviet counterpart that the troop buildup in the East was actually a deception aimed at British intelligence and that Germany needed to practice for Sea Lion in a region beyond the range of British bombers and reconnaissance aircraft. In a June 1941 newspaper article, Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels leaked disinformation that an invasion of Britain was imminent. Goebbels then ostentatiously had the newspaper withdrawn from circulation and put himself in simulated disgrace for his “mistake.”

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

mlmp08 posted:

So is the story that the Russians missed the hotel and blew up the cafe on accident or that the cafe never existed; it was a hotel? Or is it some other thing?

Or they hit a hotel and a cafe, but they figured blowing up the cafe was worthwhile in order to kill someone else who might have been near the cafe?

it sounds like the story from the Ukraine side is that the Russian collaborator they claim they have captured who was apparently the one who was informing on the soldiers was tasked with figuring out what time the soldiers were typically at the property and using the cafe.. Maybe the Russians figured that it would be easier to take out more soldiers while they were all jammed into the cafe eating shoulder to shoulder than when they were in their separate rooms in the Hostel.

This is coming from the Ukrainians mind you.. that they have arrested a collaborator who was snitching on their troops who were routinely at this property *and who were apparently the large majority but sadly not the only victims of the missile strike

You can admit that you just read the GBS thread where they are crying about another Russian war crime targeting a civilian pizzeria and came in here to poo poo on the tankies without realizing the fact that the place was packed with soldiers /mercenaries at the time of the strike.

**and yes from the video I've seen it looks like the property that was struck was a multi story hostel/hotel with what was presumably a restaurant located at the front of the property. Both the restaurant and the rooms section of the property were heavily damaged by the explosion.. the Restaurant looks completely leveled and a large portion of the multi story section of the building has also collapsed... it almost looks like the building may have been hit by more than one missile. it's not a pretty scene.

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Jun 29, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Starsfan posted:

You can admit that you just read the GBS thread

Nope. I dipped in on one of the ones that is now closed, and it was really bad. Neither informative nor funny.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Starsfan posted:

I think added on to Prigozhin's motivation was apparently his catering company was having it's contracts with the Russian state systematically dissolved.. it seems like beyond providing food and services for the military, he was also involved in supplying the Russian school system with food and potentially other contracts as well. He ended up getting progressively squeezed out of that racket, saw the end of his influence and business speeding up at him on the horizon, and he decided to do something incredibly stupid.

I mean he could have kept all his grifts going perfectly fine by just keeping his mouth shut. Maybe the first person in history to have confirmed posted themselves out of billions of dollars?

Putin was putting a lot of emphasis on how much Prigozhin's companies depend on state funding. Apparently Prigozhin didn't understand his role, and Putin can't let it go.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Nope. I dipped in on one of the ones that is now closed, and it was really bad. Neither informative nor funny.

gbs is the allegory of the cave of posting

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nix Panicus posted:

We have a million man army we're holding in research. No you can't see it.

I left my million man army in my other jacket.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I need more lukashenko news. I can't escape this captivating man

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
why don’t troops get snow boots but for landmine protection? seems pretty cheap

this guy just uses jello filled 6packs and a wood plank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHJin0qe9-I

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

quote:

"Позвонил Президент Беларуси, и Евгений Пригожин сразу снял трубку, насколько я знаю, разговор был сложный. Там сразу выпалили такое, мама не горюй. Разговор был тяжелый достаточно. Президент Беларуси изложил определенный план, согласованный с Президентом России, ну и был такой разговор, как мне передавали, мужской", - подчеркнул Вадим Гигин.
You can translate it as masculine or manly, depending on the writing style you're using.
:perfect:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Computer Serf posted:

why don’t troops get snow boots but for landmine protection? seems pretty cheap

this guy just uses jello filled 6packs and a wood plank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHJin0qe9-I

idgi, what do the jello cans do??

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hatebag posted:

I need more lukashenko news. I can't escape this captivating man

I desire updates on the potato farm

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

DancingShade posted:

I left my million man army in my other jacket.

Maybe your armies are in your sleevies?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

R. Guyovich posted:

They landed a man on the sun

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacemang_spliff posted:

They landed a man on the sun

Great movie

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Interesting discussion:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Z1DDUyNUHQ8&feature=share

"In the days after the attempted coup by the Wagner mercenary group in Russia, what do we know? The Western media coverage was generally drooling. Why did Yevgeny Prigozhin start an armed coup attempt against the Russian government? Was the US involved?"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BearsBearsBears posted:

No advice on what to do if the fire is larger than a CRT TV.
Call the fire department.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Call the fire department.

But general, I am the fire department

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

But general, I am the fire department

It's been a long time since we had full size fire departments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8tDpTvKPUU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

R. Guyovich posted:

Sadly, this breakthrough has been offset by the Russians' discovery that the way to stop the Polish cavalry is by unplugging the carousel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Ukraine continues to win

https://twitter.com/pravda_eng/status/1674086623028432902?s=20