Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

If they do bring the M5 wagon to the US, are you going to put in an order? It's one thing to say it would be cool and you would, like, totally buy one. But it's another thing to actually buy it. People always say they want a specific type of car and that they would totally buy it, but the manufacturers try to sell them and no one buys them.

No of course not, I would do what I've always done and buy one used in 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
BMW should bring in CPO wagons from Europe.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I'm generally fine with the bmw infotainment system but this stupid widget is Android gingerbread levels of pointless a e s t h e t I c

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
A friend who's also BMW's lead driver drove up Pike's Peak in the Exhibition class for BMW in their XM Red Label... didn't go quite how they planned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuwiYNNeP88&t=17435s

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this was kind of both at the same time, really - margins on CUVs are better and the sedan market was shrinking

Yeah, I'm definitely the target market for the car and I balk at spending more than the cost of the house I grew up in on a car. Just doesn't sit right.

That gauge is hard when the 1100sqft small house you grew up in was worth a million dollars when you were 12.

I’d love to buy one but there is no way I would be making the kind of money that would be needed to afforded it by the time it makes it here. I also would probably have done dumb poo poo on the way there of like E91 manual M3 build shenanigans as that would be cheaper than what an M5 Touring will cost new in ‘25.

I’d consider a 340/540 touring, but also wish to god they would revive the third pedal, if I am losing the third pedal and just going for wagon hauler and a lot less sport more just muscle, the E class wagon is right there, an E400-450 is a great car.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
e91 + 986, imo

I can't imagine buying a new bmw due to the opacity re: DIY. P sure this is my boomer hill.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are newer BMWs difficult to work on because of a lack of documentation or online guides? I currently own an e46 and every nut and bolt has been documented 10 times online in text and video form which is part of what makes owning older BMWs so nice.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The N54/N55 are really well documented on forums, the B58 is getting there I think. Maintenance is still reasonably straightforward, but 2020+ (I think?) is when the ECUs need a bench unlock to tune them, and that's in ... Finland? Russia? There's definitely more limitations on the enthusiast side in addition to the loss of the third pedal.

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG
You can bench unlock late 19+ build S55 ECUs domestically.
Idk about the _58 variants.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

MrOnBicycle posted:

- the CPO older BMWs hidden away in the back look so much better than the new cars

Was at my local dealership ordering the roof rack the other day and thought the exact same thing. I had a 3-year expired $100 off parts/lifestyle accessories coupon I forgot about and they honored it, which was super cool of them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a44359795/2024-bmw-x1-m35i-specs/

quote:

turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four with 312 hp and 295 pound-feet of torque.

The 2024 X1 M35i will go on sale in October, starts at $50,895 - and that will rise significantly with added option packages such as the various driver-assistance packages, the M Sport Professional package, and the Premium package.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 28, 2023

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Why is an m35i a turbo four? God drat it BMW.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Probably because its fwd. I never see X1 or X2's around my area.

edit oh i was wrong

phosdex fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 28, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Actually - "A seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission and all-wheel drive are standard, and the M35i also gains a limited-slip differential. Adaptive dampers are standard equipment, and BMW's M compound brakes are optional."

I see the very infrequent X1 but almost never the X2.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
bmw make the m van

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why won't BMW sell a ute?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They barely publish the towing capacity of their largest cars, I doubt they want the optics of selling something designed to do actual work

edit vvv:

that poorly bent roll bar made from square tubing :swoon:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 28, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Cojawfee posted:

Why won't BMW sell a ute?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/news/a30952/bmw-secret-e30-m3-pickup-truck/

They did also dumb I can’t just upload an image in the app anymore so you are forced to click.

E: I suppose technically they never sold it, but they did make one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Alarbus posted:

The N54/N55 are really well documented on forums, the B58 is getting there I think. Maintenance is still reasonably straightforward, but 2020+ (I think?) is when the ECUs need a bench unlock to tune them, and that's in ... Finland? Russia? There's definitely more limitations on the enthusiast side in addition to the loss of the third pedal.

lol there be sketchy poo poo with those ecus going through a group of about twenty russians to be unlocked

Alarbus posted:

Why is an m35i a turbo four? God drat it BMW.

The B48 is really, really good. I look forward to building something stupid once control over everything on them is more figured out. They've got weird stuff like ECU controlled oil pump, ECU controlled vacuum pump in the motor, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P8TcvJwPlk

(B48 swapped E46 with 8HP auto)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 28, 2023

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

phosdex posted:

Probably because its fwd. I never see X1 or X2's around my area.

edit oh i was wrong

It is on their fwd based platform though, so you're half right. I believe shared with various Minis?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Is a supercharged E46 a bad idea? https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/pacific-bmw-330i-e46-manual-low-miles/7637888775.html

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Mahatma-Squid posted:

It is on their fwd based platform though, so you're half right. I believe shared with various Minis?

Transverse mounted power plant = FWD [biased] :11tea:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

If they didn't do anything with the rear subframe I'd be worried about that.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Biased but I think that looks like a fantastic idea. I paid more for my e46 with the same miles and it’s bone stock.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Biased but I think that looks like a fantastic idea. I paid more for my e46 with the same miles and it’s bone stock.

*taps the "mods don't add value" sign*

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I would much rather have a bone stock one (especially if it is well-ish maintained)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheBacon posted:

I would much rather have a bone stock one (especially if it is well-ish maintained)

I would pay more for a bone stock, well maintained one.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

*taps the "mods don't add value" sign*
mod sass is illegal kgj

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It depends on what mods we are talking about. If it's a gigantic wing, VTECH VANOS Hacks, a poorly fitting exhaust that sounds like poo poo etc., that's one thing. If it's a professionally installed forced induction system, Dinan, etc., that's quite another. ^That supercharged e46 looked more like the latter to me, especially at that price. Hell, it's like buying and installing a supercharger and getting the e46 for free.

Update on my e46:
$1700 replace oil pan gasket
$900 replace adaptive xenon control switch unit
$900 Accessory belt tensioner, AC belt tensioner, and belts

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 29, 2023

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
depends, but you generally only hear it from the people lowballing pricing on something that they've got no interest in buying in the first place

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

mod sass is illegal kgj

:drat:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
XM (and iX) are piling up on the dealer lots because turns out no one wants these ugly rear end junkers.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Friend of mine drove the XM Red Label at Pike's Peak for BMW the other day... he's an amazing driver and still had an oopsie with that 3-ton hog.

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

Throatwarbler posted:

XM (and iX) are piling up on the dealer lots because turns out no one wants these ugly rear end junkers.

I'm one of the mad people that want one, but I'm not insane enough to pay the $150 grand the dealers want for premium electric.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Friend of mine drove the XM Red Label at Pike's Peak for BMW the other day... he's an amazing driver and still had an oopsie with that 3-ton hog.

Forgot if this got posted further up or not here if people wanna see the carnage. Hope your bud’s doing alright.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/the-bmw-xm-rolled-three-corners-into-its-pikes-peak-record-attempt

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, he walked out of it unscathed luckily, he'd been setting really good times in the qualifying so I'm curious what happened that resulted in such a quick ending to the day but I didn't really want to bring it up when I texted him after seeing the footage - he's shown me incredible car control skills on the track, so the fact he got out of shape so quickly is definitely a testament to why tall heavy SUVs that are quick maybe aren't actually race cars.

Interesting unrelated fact - he holds the Guinness record for longest continuous dual drift, they drifted for 8 hours and 235 miles in a circle.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

After dealing with fatigued alloy threads pulling out on 25+ year old Nissan's, I thought that moving to the comparatively modern and young E92 would mean at least 10 years before I'd have to perform the sacred rites and pray before torquing up any bolt seated in the block or head.

But no, today the bottom bolt on the power steering belt tensioner pulled the thread out way short of the target torque. After performing a short-lived surrender cobra, I checked the part diagram again and fortunately it turns out that the thread is in a small removable mount rather than the block itself! But of course, the engine has to be lifted up a few cm (or the subframe dropped accordingly) to allow the mounting bolts to be extracted.

Time to replace the engine mounts as well I guess, as it requires most of the same work.

A quick sense check - according to this thread the torque for the belt tensioner mounting bolts is 40Nm which seems slightly high for an M8 bolt into alloy. The thread quotes the standard torque for the bolt type from the TIS rather than a specific torque. Does this figure sound right?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I'm a weird guy and bored so I made a spreadsheet of BMW chassis size's and here is my thesis:

3 Series: E30, E81, F22, E36, E46

Tweener: E92, F30, F32

5 Series: G20, E34, E39, E28, E60

6 series: E24, G22

If anyone is curious those are all listed in length order with the E24 and G22 pulled out from in between the E34 and the E39.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I'm a weird guy and bored so I made a spreadsheet of BMW chassis size's and here is my thesis:

The F20 is now the same size as the E30 was. Cars done grown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

The F20 is now the same size as the E30 was. Cars done grown.

It's wild. I have a 2 car garage built in the 90s and it used to fit my 2 e46 cars tight but manageable. Anytime we have had to rent a car or park someones car who is visiting in our garage along side my e46 M3 it's an ordeal to get it in there. Even small sedans have grown a lot.