Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
sub optimal materials are actually what you want in that case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Maybe one day he will hop onto one of his rockets and go on a long trip

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Honestly, if anyone can show me any actual instance, a newspaper article, anything, of a transgender person physically forcing someone to call them by their pronouns it’ll blow my mind.

Captain Beans posted:

Maybe one day he will hop onto one of his rockets and go on a long trip

God I’ve been constantly hoping for this too honestly. Dude is always so self assured and hypes his companies and products constantly. And he himself believes said hype.

But lbr, he’d probably say he would like a month ahead of launch, post pics of him in an astronaut suit,,, theeeen come the week of the launch he’ll wuss out.

Gaylor Moon fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 29, 2023

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

No. 6 posted:

Elon doesn't just fly around, he also slithers to and fro.

Enough is enough! I've had it with these motherfucking elons on this motherfucking plane!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

priznat posted:

:agreed: and it is only the real lame posters that go that long. anyone good, clever and funny can easily get the message across in 280

I remember when people were decrying the move from 140 to 280 and saying it would destroy the format of the site.
Hell, I remember that the reason it was 140 in the first place was so it fit in an SMS, the entire founding gimmick of Twitter was that it was a microblogging site you could post to from your phone!! Imagine being able to post from your phone!

:corsair:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Entropic posted:

I remember when people were decrying the move from 140 to 280 and saying it would destroy the format of the site.
Hell, I remember that the reason it was 140 in the first place was so it fit in an SMS, the entire founding gimmick of Twitter was that it was a microblogging site you could post to from your phone!! Imagine being able to post from your phone!

:corsair:

Yeah 140 was cooler.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Coming soon to Twitter: bigger, more intrusive ads!

https://twitter.com/MsHannahMurphy/status/1674219355457073152

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Please type "McDonalds" to load more tweets.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Gaylor Moon posted:

Honestly, if anyone can show me any actual instance, a newspaper article, anything, of a transgender person physically forcing someone to call them by their pronouns it’ll blow my mind.

In most reasonable workplaces continuing to harass someone by misgendering them is unsurprisingly going to get you in trouble. That’s “forcing people” as far as this crowd is concerned, same dumb argument as making a vaccine a condition for employment is forced vaccination.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

her pitch to advertisers would probably be successful if she pointed out twitter is whittling users down until only the most credulous morons remain, which seems like the ideal target for ads. also if they can target blue checks, they’ll know the audience has money to spend on useless poo poo.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

listen, i know we have a lot of nazis on the site, but they have to buy gizmos too!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

DaveWoo posted:

quote:

“The issue is content moderation. And it exists in two dimensions. For everybody else. And for Elon.”

“The hope is Linda will create a buffer between what he does, and a brand-safe environment on Twitter,” he added.

lol ok

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Lmfao what world are they living in

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is meta actually more successful with reels? I know my gen x relatives would keep sending these awful videos to the extended family whatsapp group but they don't have high numbers and the ones that do are stolen from tiktok or douyin

Facebook reels is also the only place I've seen a houseplant influencer guy presenting "how to kill plant mites" where the video editing looks like he's playing cod on twitch

https://www.facebook.com/reel/232576459546391?s=yWDuG2&fs=e&mibextid=Nif5oz

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Lmfao what world are they living in

Only registered members can see post attachments!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yacc Attack!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DaveWoo posted:

I didn't realize how much death-by-trendiness the old Twitter staff was evading.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

In most reasonable workplaces continuing to harass someone by misgendering them is unsurprisingly going to get you in trouble. That’s “forcing people” as far as this crowd is concerned, same dumb argument as making a vaccine a condition for employment is forced vaccination.

All true, but that's not even what Elon's sniveling about. He (or that sycophant he's parroting) is saying people are being forced to state their gender identity or pronouns. Like it's some kind of company policy across the workforce landscape that you HAVE to say "Hi I'm Bob (he/him)" and this is akin to wearing a yellow star

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If someone doesn't want to declare pronouns then that means she shouldn't care what we call xir, so just get creative whenever you talk about/to him until they correct you

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think they’re just mad they don’t get to just be the default anymore

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

priznat posted:

ssssssshhhhh don't say the obvious part about our hierarchical ordering out loud!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

ssssssshhhhh don't say the obvious part about our hierarchical ordering out loud!

I’m all for it, takes the pressure off. Let someone who doesn’t look like me be in charge for once!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But then the percentage of movies that cater to my demographic might drop from 98% to 95%!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

priznat posted:

it's not even that. they want to present themselves as victims, but they haven't actually lost "default" status in any meaningful sense, nor has anything been forced on them.

assuming someone's gender and pronouns based on social cues/signals like name, appearance, or photo isn't going away. i haven't seen any push in the corporate world to actually force everyone to put their pronouns in their email or org chart, or use them in greetings, voicemail etc. and i don't expect that's going to become a mandate any time soon. maybe smaller companies can get away with it in liberal areas as a blanket policy, but most everywhere else it's going to remain voluntarily. same thing on social networks and most in person events.

of course people are free to add pronouns to their emails or use them to introduce themselves, and that pisses bigots off, but there's literally zero hardship if you're cis. if you do nothing at all, people will be able to address you correctly. the only "hardship" is that now they're being asked to be respectful of other people who state their pronouns or correct them when they use the wrong one. it's hard to call yourself a victim in that scenario, so they make up some other reason, like pretending being referred to as "cis" is a slur.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

quote:

She is going to invest in re-building the advertising, sales and partnership team, a requirement she negotiated with Musk upon joining, according to two people familiar with her plans. Musk had caused concern among advertisers and agencies by dismissing at least 80 per cent of Twitter’s workforce, including many of the ad sales team, after taking over, in a significant cost-cutting effort to boost its flagging finances.

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1589961357214240768

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
I think no corporation would do that because it runs the risk of forcing someone who's not ready to come out at work to either misgender themselves or push them into that decision, and neither seem like something you'd want to do.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I keep my pronouns a secret so people can't talk about me behind my back.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Sentient Data posted:

If someone doesn't want to declare pronouns then that means she shouldn't care what we call xir, so just get creative whenever you talk about/to him until they correct you
I feel like this would backfire and just make them think "see, I am being forced to declare pronouns, because people are assholes to me when I don't."

Like yeah, I get that the point is to make them understand that being misgendered sucks, but I don't think chuds are capable of making that connection, because that would require empathy. They'll just see it as another personal slight against them instead.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Lex Fridman is the only person dumber than musk that idiots also think is a smart man

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i was blissfully unaware of who lex was until i saw an interview he did with todd howard in the starfield thread maybe ~6 months ago, and christ it's one of the worst interviews i've ever listened to.

like, not only were his questions dumb as hell techbro babble, but todd was basically feeding him juicy stuff to ask about and he kept ignoring it to spout off more of his own dumbass ideas.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Resident Idiot posted:

I think no corporation would do that because it runs the risk of forcing someone who's not ready to come out at work to either misgender themselves or push them into that decision, and neither seem like something you'd want to do.

This is 100% on the money.

Sentient Data posted:

This is a bit less

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bottom Liner posted:

Lex Fridman is the only person dumber than musk that idiots also think is a smart man

That's a bold claim considering the amount of dumb inside Elon.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's a bold claim considering the amount of dumb inside Elon.

Lex Friedman is a combination of Musk without the meme obsession and Joe Rogan with significantly more intellectual pretentiousness.

Just an aggressively stupid and naive person.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 29, 2023

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

priznat posted:

there's also the large segment of the population that substitutes lazy jokes for a personality. if they can't repeat the latest "attack helicopter!!" joke they'd have nothing to say at all.
if they were more into pop culture they'd be nothing but an endless stream of movie quotes. instead they're really interesting and cool people.........NOT!!! haha my wife!

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

priznat posted:

Yacc Attack!

This is what happens if you eat at Boebert's restaurant

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

like, not only were his questions dumb as hell techbro babble, but todd was basically feeding him juicy stuff to ask about and he kept ignoring it to spout off more of his own dumbass ideas.

Ah yes the rogan school of interviewing

lex fraudman also lies about his MIT credentials. A real piece a’poo poo

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DaveWoo posted:

Ah yes, deals with Celebs, like-

...Kevin Sorbo? Dean Cain? :lol:

No one is going make an endorsement deal with Ebaum lmao

This lady really is going in with the "I can fix him" mentality about Ebaum lmao

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Brilliant gambit, sir. Selling ads would be a great way for Twitter to increase revenue. Those suits on the board of directors would never have thought of that.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

DaveWoo posted:

How long until we hear that the sales reps complain about having to sleep with clients and the secret sex dungeon is smelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

DaveWoo posted:

Okay everyone please remember to ACT SURPRISED when this idiot has one of Elon's kids in the next year