Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
In fairness, I can't blame her for thinking a 7-year-old is young enough to not really understand what's going on when he gets put into the system considering she's 36 and still doesn't really understand what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I handed my seven year old to a stranger, waved bye-bye to him, and disappeared from his life, and thirteen years later he holds a grudge? Like, can't he understand how hard that was for me?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Reading her get up on her cross about how Jensen should be happy that his replacement got to grow up happy is absolutely infuriating, what kind of insane logic is that

Also incredible how defensive she is about "My Son" while Jensen gets referred to as "our son" once and then by his first name for the rest of it.

"His new family did not want him to even have contact with me while he was a minor or I would have reached out." They were fuckin right

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
He's too young to understand

ALSO

I didn't raise him that way

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

PostNouveau posted:

He's too young to understand

ALSO

I didn't raise him that way

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
making the hard decision, to make things easier for myself by loving up my kid for life

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
reminds me oddly of the kid from Shazam when he finally finds his mom and finds out he didn't lose her, she literally abandoned him when she saw him with police. the kid was like 3 years old. he spent over a decade trying to find her.

AITA for having a drink on the way to a funeral?

quote:

My wife's coworker passed away and the memorial service was being held at a large Catholic Church. When we got there we went into the wrong door and we went into the area where a wedding reception was being held.

I noticed they had a cash bar with a sign saying all tips went to the honeymoon fund, so I bought a beer, threw in a $20 tip, chugged it and then went back out and found the right place.

I was wearing a suit so I fit in at the reception, I paid for my drink, I tipped, and I immediately left ndvw not to the right place.

This was last Saturday and my wife is still pissed at me. She said I was disrespectful, and an rear end in a top hat for invading a wedding, I did not. The bar was outside the reception hall. She says I shouldn't have drank before the funeral. It was one beer. I think she is blowing this out of proportion.

AITA?

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for making hard decisions and giving my child away?

I want to say this is fake. But we know otherwise.

"i chose my new baby over my previous child, why does he resent me???"

as a kid who was pretty badly neglected (not out of malice, sibling was just really high needs) I just really want to shake this person

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
AITA for asking my fiancée to trespass to help with my wedding anxiety?

quote:

My (F35) fiancée (M32) and I are getting married in a couple months. We wanted a small backyard ceremony so we ended up renting a private retreat center for the weekend in a beautiful city in our state. We have only ever seen the property from the photoshopped photos on their website and from above on Google maps. It's an expensive venue and I have been anxious about not having seen the property in person since it's a 4 hour drive from where we live.

To help ease my anxiety, I asked my fiancée if we could plan our next vacation to that city to drive by the venue, check out the area and just have a little fun. We ended up planning a two-day vacation in the same city.

As soon as we drove into the wedding venue's city, we noticed a huge display of politically charged flags, and shirts on the side of the road. Next we noticed the city's rampant homeless problem. The hotel we stayed at (not cheap) had a lot of homeless individuals living on the street just behind it, visible from our room's window. This did nothing for my anxiety.

While there, I asked my fiancée to drive by the wedding venue. I knew from google maps that the whole venue wouldn't be visible from the street, but I could at least check to make sure the outside of the house looked clean, didn't have political signage nearby, didn't have a homeless camp, had enough parking, etc.

The venue is the last house on a dead end gravel road so I figured that would be the perfect opportunity to check it out while we do a U-Turn right in front of it!

So, we drive out there and we get about 100 feet away from the venue and almost to the end of the dead end road. But my fiancée stops to read a sign stuck to a telephone pole saying "Private Road, Dead End No Turn Around" and "No Tresspassing, Keep Out."

We could clearly see ahead that there was a place where we could turn around, because the venue had several cars parked in a small parking lot out front. I asked my fiancée to drive past the signs to turn around in front of the venue like we originally planned (this is where I may be the rear end in a top hat). But, he refused to drive past that point. He wouldn't even wait until I could take a good look from where we were already parked on the public road. He immediately turned the car around and left (this is why I think he is the rear end in a top hat).

I agree, maybe it wasn't the best idea to drive onto what was technically private property, but I was dumbfounded that he wouldn't even wait on the public road for 10 seconds for me to look at the place after we had driven 200 miles to get there.

The next day I offered to drop my fiancée off at a brewery and take the car to revisit the place by myself. He got visibly upset so I didn't press the issue and I didn't go. We have since returned home.

I don't think I'm the rear end in a top hat, and I think he is being ridiculous for not compromising and turning our first memory of our future wedding venue an argument.
Many comments telling her how dumb she was for not calling ahead and asking for a tour of the property, and for renting a property sight unseen to begin with.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

i wonder how often this guy has "just one beer" someplace, and his wife "blows it out of proportion" by telling him it's inappropriate

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

trickybiscuits posted:

Many comments telling her how dumb she was for not calling ahead and asking for a tour of the property, and for renting a property sight unseen to begin with.

Huh. I was sure the "politically charged flags" were Pride flags but looking at her post history she is not fond of conservatives. Although it sounds like she comes from s conservative family so maybe she's reflexively catering to their bigotry?

But yes, also an idiot.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for making hard decisions and giving my child away?

I want to say this is fake. But we know otherwise.

I dunno guys at 7 year old he's practically ready to start a family of his own, cut the umbilical cord already jeez. It wasn't that long ago he would have a full time job picking fabric out of machinery with his nimble fingers or coughing up coal dust down the pit. Kids these days don't know they're born.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Cowslips Warren posted:

It wasn’t a wedding, it was a bar next door to the funeral home, but I’ve done the exact same thing. I am a huge rear end in a top hat though so that doesn’t help this guy.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

trickybiscuits posted:

They could also call or email before coming out. "Hi, we booked your venue on X day. We're coming to town on X and Y dates, and wondered if we could stop by to see the venue sometime on those days. Let us know. Thanks!"

Then you're not trespassing, and the venue knows to expect you. It might have to work around an event there, but most reasonable places will try to accommodate you even for a little bit.

If not, you made a really bad choice you should try to get out of.

Edit: it's apparently a super busy VRBO rental.that I think they're trying to keep from knowing that they are having a wedding at. This is going to get ugly.

blackmet fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 29, 2023

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I thought the story was going to be him getting a beer from one place and walking into another place with it, but no, he bought one and chugged it while standing there?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

ask a manager:

quote:

I would appreciate some feedback on a somewhat sensitive religion/workplace conflict that happened a few years ago, and how to respond to the occasional inquiry from colleagues and clients about it.

While returning to the states for the summer, I recommended an acquaintance of mine, Jade, to fly in and take over my job as a corporate trainer in our industry here in our country in Europe. I knew her from our shared religion and mutual friends back home and knew she was a great academic and very loved in many circles. I did not know that she held a private belief that proselytizing was her calling for ALL spheres of life. Our job requires a bubbly personality, which is probably what made her a good missionary back home (and she is unquestionably beautiful).

I began getting weirder and weirder emails from my clients throughout the summer without anyone saying anything concrete: “Your lovely friend sure makes our industrial welding meetings feel like Disneyland!” Or, “I didn’t realize you believed animals have an afterlife, why didn’t you tell me?” and “Jade mentioned you are probably saving yourself for your fiance, but I don’t think you wanted that information shared with the accounting team?”

When I returned, I was pulled immediately into a meeting with my boss. Apparently, they didn’t want me to feel bad, but Jade had quickly diverged from using our curriculum and instead brought church pamphlets to work from with clients. I’m talking working with clients on polishing skills specific to their job and field and instead asking them to read about the bible and think how they could relate it to industrial machining.

The light then clicked on for me when I realized the only recommendations I had ever heard about Jade came from research associates at institutions owned by our church.

My boss had felt she could stick it out with Jade (otherwise Jade’s work visa would be revoked), even though Jade started getting progressively worse. We had no HR and work in a country and contract system where my boss has almost no say when it comes to arguing with proclaimed religious convictions.

Jade had transitioned quite quickly from the business attire she agreed to wear after training to dowdy, baggy dresses that she said she had to wear because of she had promised God as a missionary to prioritize modesty as a woman (we wore pantsuits so it was not revealing).

However, I was humiliated and most shocked when my boss revealed that Jade walked into a meeting with my biggest government client … with a keyboard. She proceeded to play hymns and ask my clients what was most important to learn, their “secular life skills” or to believe God will teach them everything they need to know for their social work exam if they choose to read the scripture instead of the curriculum.

Apparently, each time my boss attempted to correct Jade about work process and conduct, Jade was jaded (sorry) and doubled down because she believed Satan was just working harder to dissuade her from her mission.

The majority of my clients stayed because of the relationships I spent years developing, but I lost some who felt (obviously) their money was being wasted. My boss was so confused and said that she and the clients didn’t want to offend, as Jade told everyone I held all the same convictions and would back her up when I returned. Legally, I could not go back to a single client and discuss my religion or refute everything Jade had said about me.

In 10 weeks, Jade ruined my professional image with quite a few clients, and possibly made people believe I held incredibly sexist beliefs. She told my boss that she refused to work with any men one-on-one because “it is unfair to her future husband and making sure these situations are prevented will help Letter-Writer too, who is of the same belief” (I’m not!). Most of my clients didn’t believe I was that extreme, for which I am grateful, but it’s a small town and I lost important academic connections because she presented me as “going to quit as soon as she gets married because her husband will be her priority.”

I wish I had known so I could have given my boss permission (sounds backwards but she thought she was doing me a favor by not getting my “friend” deported if I was coming back soon) to send Jade home, but no one contacted me.

Jade flew home the week before I got there and I ended up chewing her out in a series of emails that I don’t quite regret. I let her know that she not only horrifically misrepresented others in the religious organization with her behavior but that she needed professional guidance before she ever entered the “secular” workforce again.

Is there some way I could have handled this better (aside from never recommending anyone I haven’t worked with)? On the one hand, I do understand her motives; our church had such stringent teachings about being damned for passing on any chance to proselytize and risking the salvation of those around you, I can see why she was convinced she was doing right (it’s one reason I left the religion).

On the other, what do I say if I ever run into Jade again and is there anything I can say to past clients who all like to bring her up?

I do have to laugh though. One major client told me on my first day back that he ran into Jade at an industry conference where clients were lined up to hit the buffet. He said he saw her hold up a line of 20 people who were choosing food and once she realized their eyes were on her, she started singing a hymn to them. He said someone of course got mad and cut her off flat, but Jade told my client later in their meeting that she thought a conference section about crime scene cleaning was the ultimate chance to “shine for God.”

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Cowslips Warren posted:

When I die I am going to have a wake with a cash bar to fund my nephew's RESP. Designated drivers drink for free of course

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
same, but at the viewing. if the hearse doesn't plow through a row of tombstones on the way to my grave i'll never rest in peace

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Launch my dead fat rear end at the coffin via trebuchet.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That isn't normal even by the standards of missionary churches. Neither the Mormons or the JWs expect their members to act that aggressively, at least in the major branches.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

"I recommend someone from "church" but she revealed to everyone that were in a cult. Also she blatantly refused to do her actual job and somehow the boss wasn't able to do anything about it. "

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This one feels like a solid movie pitch.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Maybe she's in the Unification Church (aka Moonies)?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I initially misunderstood the "she brought a keyboard" to mean the computer accessory, like she just carries one around everywhere she goes, yep that sure is odd. I underestimated the level of crazy.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quote:

Jade told everyone I held all the same convictions and would back her up when I returned. Legally, I could not go back to a single client and discuss my religion or refute everything Jade had said about me.

like what? what the gently caress is this

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Foo Diddley posted:

like what? what the gently caress is this

Is it because they now have restraining orders against her and her wackadoo cult members? Nothing else really makes sense.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
pretty sure it's just fake

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Though there's a joke to be had that the cult sends her off on those missions because she's too crazy even for them.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Metis of the Hallway posted:

ask a manager:

Legally, I could not go back to a single client and discuss my religion or refute everything Jade had said about me.
Huh?? Where the hell do they live where that's true?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

It doesn’t sound like you knew this person or their work very well before recommending your boss hire them to work with your clients to represent you when you were not there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for leaving a note on my neighbor’s doorstep about his screaming children?

quote:

I have lived in the same apartment building for about five years. Throughout my time here, I’ve had many neighbors come and go, and I have never had any noise issues. However, last year, a new neighbor moved in three units down. He’s about 40 and has three children under the age of 4. For months, I have listened to his children scream/cry all day long, whether it be in his apartment or in the hallway.

At first, I tried to ignore the behavior as I felt bad (it appeared he was a newly single father and was struggling). However, as time went on, it became clear that he just straight up lets his kids behave however they want. For example, when they shriek at the top of their lungs in the hallway/right outside my door, he never says “shhh let’s be quiet” or anything at all. He just lets it happen without a peep.

Additionally, I have come to realize the frequency and the volume of the screaming/crying/shrieking is way beyond what is normal. I’d venture to say I hear anywhere from 10-15 full on tantrums every single day. All of which are ear piercingly loud. And like I said, he does not say or do anything about these tantrums.

It’s now at the point where I find myself frustrated and annoyed in my own home all the time. Right now, I’m working on a paper in my apartment and I can’t even concentrate because all I can hear are his children. Because of this, I wrote a note (a polite note) and left it on his door step. Essentially, my note said that I sympathized with him, but the noise is out of control. I also stressed that I wanted to confront him directly first (I realize that sounds hypocritical since I left an anonymous note) rather than going straight to management.

AITA for leaving this note? Should I have handled it differently?

Update: AITA for leaving a note on my neighbor’s doorstep about his screaming children?

quote:

After reading the comments on my original post, I decided to remove the note before my neighbor saw it. I took what some of you said into consideration: perhaps I just needed to be more patient. I decided if the noise issue escalated, then I’d do something. Otherwise, I would just suck it up (and use headphones like some of you advised).

Well, today, his children screamed/shrieked four times within a one hour period in the hallway. This was right by my door about two feet away from my apartment. The fourth time it happened, I opened my door and said “please don’t scream in the hallway, guys!”

Once I said this, he told me that his kids are allowed to scream in the hallway (or anywhere else in the building) that they feel like. I told him that actually, no, they’re not, according to our lease. He then told me to suck it up and to contact management and to not talk to him.

After our conversation, he told all three of his kids “you can be as loud as you want in here!” and then shot me a nasty look, and proceeded to walk to the stairs. Once he said that, all three kids started squealing as loud as possible, on purpose.

I sent management an email and they are talking to him first thing in the morning. I know some of you suggested I do this in the first place- I wish I did!

Update 2.0: I just went down to the management office to follow up with the manager. She said she had a meeting set for today at 1pm with the resident (she immediately contacted him when I emailed her last night). But then today, he emailed her saying he could no longer make the 1pm meeting and asked why he had to come down (he’s in his apartment right now doing nothing… he doesn’t work). She told him he is in violation of his lease and it’s best if he comes down. Apparently, he didn’t reply to her. She told me that if he doesn’t come down to meet with her, she is going to draft an official lease violation letter and begin the process of eviction. I was blown away (she’s a great manager). She told me that his reaction (telling me his kids are allowed to yell & and telling the kids to keep yelling) is the reason for how she’s handling this, not purely the noise complaint. She said she’s horrified and disgusted that somebody would handle the situation this way. Her and I both agreed that it was strange he would encourage me to “not speak to him” and to “contact management” rather than just simply telling his kids “shhhh” and appreciating I said something to him directly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's one thing to have awful kids who scream and you're trying your best to correct the behavior, it's another to encourage your kids to make the building you live in a hellish screaming nightmare. gently caress that dad.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

AITA for not wearing trousers around the house when my roommate has the guy she's dating over?

quote:

When I'm (f24) around the house, I tend to wear a baggy t-shirt with underwear underneath. If the weather's colder, I'll wear PJ bottoms too, but particularly in the summer months, I'm most comfortable in just a t-shirt. I live with 2 other girls but I've never given much thought to how I dress around them because in my opinion, when you're in your own home, comfort is more important than looking presentable or modest.

Sometimes, one of my roommates will have a guy she's seeing over. Again, I don't pay much attention to what I'm wearing when he's around. If I need to use the kitchen while they are in there, I don't put on trousers to do so. I just go about my business like I normally would (whilst obviously saying hello and being polite, etc).

Most of the time, my roommate would tell me "just to let you know, [insert guy's name] is coming over soon". I thought she'd tell me this because she was being a considerate roommate. So I'd just say OK, thanks for letting me know.

Today, she admitted to me that the reason why she notifies me whenever the guy is coming over is to give me a chance to put on trousers beforehand. At first, I thought she was just poking fun at my clothing habits, so I laughed it off. Then she starts saying "don't you feel uncomfortable?". At this point, I feel a bit judged, and I tell her no, I don't feel uncomfortable wearing what I like in my own home. Then she says something along the lines of "but it's kind of common decency to not be half dressed when people are over".

I was pissed but tried to stay calm. I reiterated that I will dress how I like because I pay rent here and it's not like I'm indecently exposing myself to anyone. I then left the room to cool down.

I haven't had another discussion with my roommate about it since. In my opinion, it is not my responsibility to make her or her guy friend feel comfortable. If I had my breasts or genitalia on display, that would be another story. Or if I was purposefully showing flesh to try to get the guy's attention, that would be wrong. But I'm literally just existing in the way I usually do. At the same time, I understand people have different ideas about modesty and what is appropriate behaviour around house guests, particularly those of the opposite gender. So I'm wondering if I could be considered an rear end in a top hat.

EDIT: I wear XL t shirts which cover my underwear. I get them large so they are more like a nightie. It is similar to wearing a short dress. I am not exposing myself without people's consent.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

therobit posted:

AITA for not wearing trousers around the house when my roommate has the guy she's dating over?
"Why aren't you feeling shame for exposing yourself, harlot???"
Throw the roommate out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We should build enough housing so that no one has to put up with roommates unless they want to.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

WIBTA for forcing my son to pay rent/get a job?

quote:

My husband and I own our home so our son has lived rent free with us after finishing college but I lately think it has harmed him.

He is 27 and has never had a job..when I suggest getting a job he says he's worried he would be stressed at work. He always has a reason and shoots down my suggestions to work just so he gets out of the house and does something productive.

Every day after I get home from work he complains about how he doesn't have a girlfriend but refuses to try when his dad and I suggest getting a job, making friends through hobby groups, going outside more, dating apps.

He spends all his time complaining how women don't like him although he has never tried befriending or approaching a woman. He says if women were attracted to him they'd approach him and cites an example of one person he knows who doesn't work and who doesn't go outside who has a girlfriend as proof that he shouldn't need to do those things.

We are at our wits' end and are thinking of giving him an ultimatum to pay us rent so he will get a job. AITA? Worried he'll just become homeless because he seems to rely hate the idea of working but I am at the end of my rope.

Took multiple years before they tried anything? They done hosed up.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I dunno I think it is polite to put on clothes when company comes over so unless they guy is there pretty much all the time she should probably be willing to throw on some sweats.

One time I at my wife’s house when we were still dating and she lives at home. I went to go get a glass of water in the kitchen and her dad walked through the living room in poo poo-stained whitey tighties.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Hughlander posted:

WIBTA for forcing my son to pay rent/get a job?

Took multiple years before they tried anything? They done hosed up.

quote:

Worried he'll just become homeless because he seems to rely hate the idea of working

Aw, she doesn't have to worry! He won't be homeless because he knows he can just continue to do nothing and they'll cave because they have no spines.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

therobit posted:

One time I at my wife’s house when we were still dating and she lives at home. I went to go get a glass of water in the kitchen and her dad walked through the living room in poo poo-stained whitey tighties.

you sure that wasn't a stupid power move of some sort, I could see that have been done as a sign of intentional disrespect towards his daughter's suitor

or he could've just been a slob, who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I feel like there’s a big difference between poo poo stained underwear and underwear under a long shirt