Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

God drat, I didn’t even know that many games w/ physical versions even existed

I guess I’m just under 250 unique games.
I have 2 copies of each:
Let’s go pikachu, animal crossing, BotW, TotK, Shredders Revenge, Streets of Rage 4, Mario/Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Minecraft, Diablo 3, Splatoon 2, & smash bros. So I guess I have 242 unique games including the ones I have in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

250 kids drat man, pull out!

lmao

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Astro7x posted:

Being a grown up means playing Luigi’s Mansion 3 with your kid and always having to be Gooigi

:sigh: still haven't beaten it due to that

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

250 kids drat man, pull out!

I’ve been called a lot of names but Duggar isn’t one of them

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I set my kid's console as primary and mine as secondary. It's great. My kid has full access to all my games on his account, and I can play all my games on my account at the same time if I'm connected to the internet, which I always am except on a plane.

This would fall apart if my wife played games, or if I had more than one kid though

That’s absolutely where it falls apart. We have two Switches with 4 profiles total - me (primary account) and three kids. Learned the hard way that anything I purchased on the eShop can only be played through my profile on the secondary Switch. We switched to buying physical games because of that. It worked out fine for the most part, but there are some great games that are eShop only. Fortunately they are pretty good about sharing the primary switch for those games.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Pikmin 4 story makes no sense! Is it a timeline split off from the Pikmin 1 bad end?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I wonder if it’s possible to own 250 Nintendo Switch cartridges and have a wife and kids who live with you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

I wonder if it’s possible to own 250 Nintendo Switch cartridges and have a wife and kids who live with you

It may shock you to realize but wives and children also can enjoy Nintendo Switch games. I know more than a few couples who have multiple Switches because they weren't trading off for Animal Crossing or whatever.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

hatty posted:

The Pikmin 4 story makes no sense! Is it a timeline split off from the Pikmin 1 bad end?

Yeah. Theres a timeline split created depending on oliver succeeding or dying in pikmin 1. and another split created when oliver travels through time.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Pikmin 4 shaking up the lore big time.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Played the Pikmin 4 demo for a little over an hour and...yeah, this still doesn't seem like the kind of game for me. Oh well, worth a try, and hope it's everything those of you that like Pikmin want it to be!

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
Pikmin timeline sounding about as convoluted as Zelda now

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I have 15 hours of flying ahead of me and just tried to fire up Tears of the Kingdom and I can’t play it without internet?

Apparently I was supposed to do video game homework ahead of using my portable console as a portable console to ensure it’s my ‘primary’ device, and there’s no way to change it until I get home.

What a garbage user experience, what the gently caress? Is there really no way to make this my primary device from their website or something? That setting doesn’t even exist on the console’s OS as far as I can tell.

It's not an OS setting, it's an eShop setting; and that big pop-up message you always see when you launch a game on your second Switch is the validation processing through the eShop.

The way it's set up lets you play any of your own software on anybody's Switch, as long as it can validate, with the caveat that you can only mark one as Your Switch at a time instead of limitless pre-approval and simultaneous use of infinite consoles -- and your Nintendo account cannot launch the same software in more than one place simultaneously.

If you do manage to tether or hop on airport or inflight wifi, your immediate problem goes away temporarily.

If you haven't done so in the past year or so, you can deregister remotely on your eShop settings page - https://ec.nintendo.com/my/ - you can then connect your Switch to the eShop to have it auto-register as primary, without bothering customer support.

But you're still SOL if you have no way to get your Switch online and back to the eShop in the first place.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Finished with Pikmin 4 demo. Depending on how much I’m craving this between now and launch I may go back in, I feel like there’s a lot of optimizing that can be done to hit all the caves in the opening area. I missed at least one, possibly two (I made a mad dash to try and hit one more cave before the night ended but i was too far away).

I think seasoned Pik-veterans are going to be a little annoyed at the slower pace in the beginning. Pikmin has always drip-fed colors through the course of the beginning of the game but this time you have to earn your way up to having 100 by collecting a new item type, which is probably a good change to keep people from being overwhelmed and a nice way to make you think harder about efficiency, but also it’s a step back from the first three where you’re basically never limited in the number you can have. The “only three types” limitation doesn’t come into play in the demo as far as I saw since you only get Red/Yellow/Ice through the demo area, but also the game specifically tells you that in caves you may end up encountering more types than you bring in as well, so it’s not a hard limit. Also at least for now the only Pikmin you can bloom more of is Red, you have to find the others as wild Pikmin in caves, similar to Pikmin 2. I assume you’ll get more onions eventually but between the reduced amount you can have equipped and only being able to bloom Reds your time shouldn’t be spent carrying enemies at all to start because after 30 reds there’s no real point in getting more.

On the other hand, there’s a whole bunch of little QOL changes that make for a much easier time. Selecting which type of Pikmin you want to throw is way easier, and it stops you from overthrowing at an item so you’re always going to hit it with the exact right number. Also if you’re tossing Pikmin at nectar it will automatically toss non-flower Pikmin first. Going into and out of caves is also very streamlined, when you go in you can just select exactly as many Pikmin as you want from your stash rather than having to bring the right amount with you, and when you’re done with the cave it will let you change your group again. The map is pretty wonderful as well, it has pretty much everything you’d expect and also really detailed info about where objects that can be manipulated or taken are. Unfortunately as of right now the multi-tasking tools aren’t as nice as 3’s suite of options and abilities. You’re not only back down to controlling 2 characters tops and Oatchie doesn’t have full capabilities (can’t pluck Pikmin, you have to unlock “Go Here” and the ability to control Oatchie solo)

I think the thing I’m most excited to see is just how much stuff is in this game. There’s a little more depth to the mechanics introducing Oatchie, and the economy for upgrades and exploration using the same resource is kinda nifty. The overarching story is to go find Olimar but along the way collecting the treasures and lost people will be a nice mix of continual progress, there’s always bound to be something interesting in every cave this way.

Right now I’d say I’m cautiously optimistic. It continues the trend of slowing down the beginning that each successive Pikmin game has done, but it feels like there’s gonna be a lot to this, like they really jammed it full of stuff. 3 felt a little sparse when it came out compared to 2, so it’s nice to see they’ve listened. They also have a treasure compendium with little descriptions for the items and by the looks of it there’s a lot of good flavor text ala 2 and 3 Deluxe, which to me is the most important part of Pikmin. I’m just hoping there’s more depth there.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Seems heavily inspired by Pikmin 2 I’m excited to play it

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

DC Murderverse posted:

Finished with Pikmin 4 demo. Depending on how much I’m craving this between now and launch I may go back in, I feel like there’s a lot of optimizing that can be done to hit all the caves in the opening area. I missed at least one, possibly two (I made a mad dash to try and hit one more cave before the night ended but i was too far away).

I think seasoned Pik-veterans are going to be a little annoyed at the slower pace in the beginning. Pikmin has always drip-fed colors through the course of the beginning of the game but this time you have to earn your way up to having 100 by collecting a new item type, which is probably a good change to keep people from being overwhelmed and a nice way to make you think harder about efficiency, but also it’s a step back from the first three where you’re basically never limited in the number you can have. The “only three types” limitation doesn’t come into play in the demo as far as I saw since you only get Red/Yellow/Ice through the demo area, but also the game specifically tells you that in caves you may end up encountering more types than you bring in as well, so it’s not a hard limit. Also at least for now the only Pikmin you can bloom more of is Red, you have to find the others as wild Pikmin in caves, similar to Pikmin 2. I assume you’ll get more onions eventually but between the reduced amount you can have equipped and only being able to bloom Reds your time shouldn’t be spent carrying enemies at all to start because after 30 reds there’s no real point in getting more.

On the other hand, there’s a whole bunch of little QOL changes that make for a much easier time. Selecting which type of Pikmin you want to throw is way easier, and it stops you from overthrowing at an item so you’re always going to hit it with the exact right number. Also if you’re tossing Pikmin at nectar it will automatically toss non-flower Pikmin first. Going into and out of caves is also very streamlined, when you go in you can just select exactly as many Pikmin as you want from your stash rather than having to bring the right amount with you, and when you’re done with the cave it will let you change your group again. The map is pretty wonderful as well, it has pretty much everything you’d expect and also really detailed info about where objects that can be manipulated or taken are. Unfortunately as of right now the multi-tasking tools aren’t as nice as 3’s suite of options and abilities. You’re not only back down to controlling 2 characters tops and Oatchie doesn’t have full capabilities (can’t pluck Pikmin, you have to unlock “Go Here” and the ability to control Oatchie solo)

I think the thing I’m most excited to see is just how much stuff is in this game. There’s a little more depth to the mechanics introducing Oatchie, and the economy for upgrades and exploration using the same resource is kinda nifty. The overarching story is to go find Olimar but along the way collecting the treasures and lost people will be a nice mix of continual progress, there’s always bound to be something interesting in every cave this way.

Right now I’d say I’m cautiously optimistic. It continues the trend of slowing down the beginning that each successive Pikmin game has done, but it feels like there’s gonna be a lot to this, like they really jammed it full of stuff. 3 felt a little sparse when it came out compared to 2, so it’s nice to see they’ve listened. They also have a treasure compendium with little descriptions for the items and by the looks of it there’s a lot of good flavor text ala 2 and 3 Deluxe, which to me is the most important part of Pikmin. I’m just hoping there’s more depth there.

You'll be happy to know there are indeed other onions. Some people have actually already gotten the blue onion in the demo, which you might've seen across a pool of water right by the starting area.

I can get why Oatchi feels less good than another captain at first, but his Command ability is interesting. In 2 and 3, having both captains at once doesn't really help with more than rapid plucking and puzzle solving. Once Oatchi can handle gathering Pikmin, you instead get this interesting development where your joint "captain" is faster, stronger, and more capable than the two are split. At the same time, multitasking is easier than ever since you can just send Oatchi away on a task like any other Pikmin. Its a fun development where you press into the unknown with extra speed and a power attack, then send him back with your delivery crew while making as much use of the regular captain as you can before he gets back.

I feel like this game's going to have so many layers to it. Prioritize exploring the overworld first, saving caves for the end of day so they don't "count" against your time? Or knock out as many as you can at once after clearing a bunch of the overworld? Do you use materials for upgrades or exploration? Build Oatchi as a multitasker or a hammer? Go for Sparklium as quick as possible, or focus on digging up other resources like garlic?

Hell, I expect someone's gonna be crazy enough to try a bare minimum run. That'll sure be something.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Pikmin 4…the win.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

hatty posted:

Either it is a soft reboot or something VERY weird is going on. I am hoping for the latter, because Weird Nintendo is the best Nintendo.

I have only done one day so far and haven't exceeded my Sparkelium limit yet, and I am liking the game. That said, the bit in the intro where you start off with your rescue corp dude/dudette did have me wondering when we would get to the Pikmin factory onion.

Also, yeah, there is a closer camera, but you can zoom it out to have it like the old games if you prefer, which I thought was neat.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Only question that matter: how Much time can you spend in character creation?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i have not played the pikmin 4 demo yet or seen anything of it but i will still speculate that louie is the villain

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Only question that matter: how Much time can you spend in character creation?
I spent the better part of an hour there. It's so good. There are so many funny faces to choose from. A truly amazing Pikmin game based on that alone.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Eiba posted:

I spent the better part of an hour there. It's so good. There are so many funny faces to choose from. A truly amazing Pikmin game based on that alone.

Nice. I love a good character creator.

Funny how busy I've been. I know Zelda is designed well for small sessions, but I prefer sinking 2+ hours when I sit down at it. So here I am just playing a ton of Splatoon 3, kind of wanting to finish off this season's content before I'm off on holiday without the Switch (I know it's portable and all but I'm not a fan of taking it outside the house, that's what the 3DS is for). Still, I can't wonder when I'll be done with it all and dig into Pikmin. Likely not this summer.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I’m starting to think that Olimar is not a very good space pilot. But it does look like he got the Dolphin back after they had to sell it in Pikmin 2?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just assume Olimar crashed in the prologue and has been vegetized, and by the end of the game you will heal him back to normal.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My joycons won’t shop back from being repaired until AFTER I leave for vacation. Blah.

Are there some good cheap third party Joycons I should pick up? I remember there being recommendations for some, but the catch was that they had like no battery and could only play when attached, or no gyro controls

Edit: was it the Hori Split Pad Pro?

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 29, 2023

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Astro7x posted:

My joycons won’t shop back from being repaired until AFTER I leave for vacation. Blah.

Are there some good cheap third party Joycons I should pick up? I remember there being recommendations for some, but the catch was that they had like no battery and could only play when attached, or no gyro controls

I have the hori split pad, and it's pretty excellent but with the short comings you list.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I saw something about a Dragon Quest Monsters for Switch... Is this a remake of the old Gameboy game or were there more after that one? I remember playing the Hell out of that game during a snowstorm that took the power out for 3-4 days.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
There were multiple Dragon Quest Monsters games, although not all of them got official translations. The one they just announced in the last direct is a new game though, not a remake.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MaxDuo posted:

I saw something about a Dragon Quest Monsters for Switch... Is this a remake of the old Gameboy game or were there more after that one? I remember playing the Hell out of that game during a snowstorm that took the power out for 3-4 days.

There were more, including a couple with the subtitle 'Joker' that came out on the DS. The one for Switch is a new game.
e:fb

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Yeah. Theres a timeline split created depending on oliver succeeding or dying in pikmin 1. and another split created when oliver travels through time.

Lmao

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
In pikmin 1 if you didn't get the ship fixed, olimar turns into a pikmin! Maybe pikmin 4 is in that timeline

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Pikmin 4 is actually in the Smash timeline.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can’t believe Nintendo is going force me to play Hey! Pikmin to understand the plot. The fiends

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

hatty posted:

Can’t believe Nintendo is going force me to play Hey! Pikmin to understand the plot. The fiends

Just wait for the vaati lore video

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, that sounds like the Split Pad Pro. They have a proper D-Pad though, so they're excellent for 2D games, and they have remappable back paddle buttons and turbo functionality, so what you need more is up to you. I have them though, and I don't use my actual Joycons any more, even though they don't have drift.

MaxDuo posted:

The Switch DQM isn't a remake of the first one, but there is one on the 3DS, with the subtitle "Terry's Wonderland", if you're interested. It never got an official localization, but if you have a hacked 3DS or a PC capable of emulating the game, there's a fan translation that's apparently pretty high-quality.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, that sounds like the Split Pad Pro. They have a proper D-Pad though, so they're excellent for 2D games, and they have remappable back paddle buttons and turbo functionality, so what you need more is up to you. I have them though, and I don't use my actual Joycons any more, even though they don't have drift.

The Switch DQM isn't a remake of the first one, but there is one on the 3DS, with the subtitle "Terry's Wonderland", if you're interested. It never got an official localization, but if you have a hacked 3DS or a PC capable of emulating the game, there's a fan translation that's apparently pretty high-quality.

I have a split pad pro, and I really like it. I'm a medium sized man, but I have horrific carpal tunnel on my right wrist, the original joycons give me a huge amount of irritation. The split pad doesn't, it's missing vibration, but I don't like that anyways.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Morpheus posted:

There were more, including a couple with the subtitle 'Joker' that came out on the DS. The one for Switch is a new game.
e:fb

Oh poo poo I had completely forgot about that. I probably asked the same question back when I heard of DQM Joker.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It’d be funny if the SMRPG remake just kept Culex as a floating 16-bit sprite

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Finished the Pikmin 4 demo, managed to get 2180 sparkles before time ran out on my last day.

Definitely looking forward to the full game - I might prefer the overall time limit structure of 1 and 3, but it's still really fun. The asymmetrical 2 captain structure seems like an interesting change of pace, and a good way to keep from just doing the same puzzles over again.

The biggest question for me right now is whether the dandori battles will be more like bingo battle or mission mode. I loved mission mode in 3 for basically taking the whole pikmin structure and compressing it into a 15 minute rush, so if it's a similar experience that'll take a lot of the sting off of losing the time limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This crusader of Centy takes a while to figure out and has a weird sword hitbox but pretty fun