Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Did Ukraine make English an official language this week or was that just a telegram rumour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Computer Serf posted:

why don’t troops get snow boots but for landmine protection? seems pretty cheap

probably because a boot that actually protects you from a mine would either be prohibitively heavy or a real hassle to move around in?

special boots for eod use do exist, but they're not something you could use in actual combat, and also i suspect that they're the opposite of cheap

Delta-Wye posted:

idgi, what do the jello cans do??

to hazard a guess the jello would act as a spring of sorts and absorb part of the blast wave and potential bits of shrapnel. it would still almost certainly gently caress up your leg, but maybe not beyond saving

Cerebral Bore has issued a correction as of 04:04 on Jun 29, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Did Ukraine make English an official language this week or was that just a telegram rumour?

Brееgе Timе ZÖZZ🇷🇺 posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
Zelensky has submitted to the Verkhovna Rada a bill that will officially determine the status of English in the country as the language of international communication

According to the document, heads of local administrations, officers, police officers and prosecutors are required to speak English.

I really want to hear how they will be speaking in the English mova.
(from t.me/breege_time_20zz/22590, via tgsa)

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/6069868

quote:

According to one of the paragraps, English will be compulsory for:

"A", "B" and "C" category civil servants;
Heads of local state administrations and their deputies;
Ranking military officers performing service under contract;
mid-level and high-ranking police officers of the Ukrainian National Police;
prosecutors;
Tax and customs officials;
Heads of entities in the public sector of the economy.

Edit: Here's the bill for people that want to quibble https://itd.rada.gov.ua/billInfo/Bills/Card/42201

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 04:08 on Jun 29, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Honestly it's the right move.

It's incredibly unlikely, but you might as well start legalizing your colonial administration right now.

Sure as gently caress muricans aren't going to be learning Ukrainian.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Honestly it's the right move.

It's incredibly unlikely, but you might as well start legalizing your colonial administration right now.

Sure as gently caress muricans aren't going to be learning Ukrainian.

Does Ukraine have a Citizens United like ruling yet where corporations can spend unlimited money to influence politics, or is that the existing state of affairs?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
USA: our possession of Ukraine requires you all speak English.

Poland, whispering to Galicia: don't worry about USA we'll get together later and do our own thing.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I think there is a requirement like that in Türkiyeah too

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Posting on the Guns of August page

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

Does Ukraine have a Citizens United like ruling yet where corporations can spend unlimited money to influence politics, or is that the existing state of affairs?

That I'm not sure about. Someone said that Servant of the People show was a clever way around it, so maybe not.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

It's been a long time since we had full size fire departments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8tDpTvKPUU

Got to love privatization

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I guess they realized it was weird how much of their propaganda was in English

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BearsBearsBears posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A00APZTq1o4
All these people training on it look miserable. The one that's actually filled with water looks like it might be useful. No advice on what to do if the fire is larger than a CRT TV.

lmao the fire depts in singapore let the public in to use real extinguishers to put out actual demonstration fires weekly

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Singapore ftw

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

Singapore ftw

using nearly expired or expired extinguisher charges that way is the worst form of authoritarianism

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

That I'm not sure about. Someone said that Servant of the People show was a clever way around it, so maybe not.

Still lmao that Zelensky's party is literally the 'Servant of the People Party' and solely existed to boost him and his friends into office based on his appearance in a post Maidan political satire about how the old guard is too corrupt.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Palladium posted:

using nearly expired or expired extinguisher charges that way is the worst form of authoritarianism

You can recharge well made fire extinguishers. Its neither difficult nor expensive if you have the gear for it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

Still lmao that Zelensky's party is literally the 'Servant of the People Party' and solely existed to boost him and his friends into office based on his appearance in a post Maidan political satire about how the old guard is too corrupt.

In a parallel universe there is an episode of blowback about pushing a pro Russian actor into power only to have him become a NATO Nazi puppet

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The whole thing is so stupid and depressing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"servant of the people party" for a puppet dictator does sound about right. Which far cry game is this again? 4?

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Lostconfused posted:

The whole thing is so stupid and depressing.

turn on my monitor

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Nix Panicus posted:

You can recharge well made fire extinguishers. Its neither difficult nor expensive if you have the gear for it.

yeah my coworker actually do that yearly as part of my work which makes the simulation grift especially funny

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Good news for Ukraine - the US is increasing Stinger missile production

https://twitter.com/DefenseOne/status/1674209819815755777?t=sFq-JQ1L3Z6xJJ0MICBSww&s=19

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

Raytheon has called in retired engineers to teach its employees how to build the Stinger missiles heavily used by Ukraine’s military—using blueprints drawn up during the Carter administration.
------
“Stinger's been out of production for 20 years, and all of a sudden in the first 48 hours [of the war], it's the star of the show and everybody wants more,” Wes Kremer, the president of RTX’s Raytheon division, said during an interview last week at the Paris Air Show.
--------
When the U.S. Army placed an order for 1,700 Stingers in May 2022, the Pentagon said the missiles wouldn’t be delivered until 2026. Kremer said it will take about 30 months for Stingers to start rolling off of the production line largely because of the time it takes to set up the factory and train its employees.
---------
That means they must build the weapons the same way they were built four decades ago: including installing the missile’s nose cone by hand.

When I first played MechWarrior and read about Lostech I thought it was the dumbest bullshit ever. Why would old stuff be better than new stuff and how could you forgot how to make good stuff?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BearsBearsBears posted:

When I first played MechWarrior and read about Lostech I thought it was the dumbest bullshit ever. Why would old stuff be better than new stuff and how could you forgot how to make good stuff?

Bespoke artisanal stinger missiles, lovingly hand crafted.

I'm sure the price will be very reasonable.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the battlefield of the future will include choirs tech-priests chanting prayers to the holy battery so that it may last for one more stinger launch

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Each stinger comes packed in a handcrafted rosewood box scented with lavender, wax sealed. The product of over 6000 man hours.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

It's the biggest loving scam in the world. We had a civilian contractor come in and train us how to use a fire extinguisher on a fire extinguisher simulator during basic training.

as a former firefighter you'd be surprised how many people gently caress this up tbf

e: paramemetic I seen you posting in here too

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/DefenseOne/status/1674209819815755777?t=sFq-JQ1L3Z6xJJ0MICBSww&s=19

like theyre just now *looking* into starting up production?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

HiroProtagonist posted:

as a former firefighter you'd be surprised how many people gently caress this up tbf

e: paramemetic I seen you posting in here too

Do they not aim at the base of a fire, or is it using the water ones on kitchen grease fires?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Each stinger comes packed in a handcrafted rosewood box scented with lavender, wax sealed. The product of over 6000 man hours.

they have to bless each one to ward off the evil spirits

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Do they not aim at the base of a fire, or is it using the water ones on kitchen grease fires?

Both

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

That makes sense

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The problem with fire & emergency training by powerpoint is that unless its nothing more than basic fire warden evacuation stuff its completely useless IMO. You really need to get personnel onto a fireground and have them put out actual drill fires in a high stress environment. Nothing can prepare you for that experience and you need to know if you're capable of dealing with it before its your own life on the line.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is bad news for Russia

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would simply order a rolling barrage on the fire's coordinates and snuff it out with a combination of overpressure, dust and dispersing the fuel material over a wide area

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

DancingShade posted:

The problem with fire & emergency training by powerpoint is that unless its nothing more than basic fire warden evacuation stuff its completely useless IMO. You really need to get personnel onto a fireground and have them put out actual drill fires in a high stress environment. Nothing can prepare you for that experience and you need to know if you're capable of dealing with it before its your own life on the line.

Or in other words, you need to be wearing the poo poo, doing the poo poo, and not just reading the poo poo. Checks out.

Side note if anyone tells you they're a cop at a firing range, pack up and leave immediately

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
how do fire departments work, anyway? sometimes it sounds like a professional job that people are paid to do, but other times you hear about a "volunteer fire department" and it's like, I guess they have day jobs, then?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

quote:

Raytheon has called in retired engineers to teach its employees how to build the Stinger missiles heavily used by Ukraine’s military—using blueprints drawn up during the Carter administration.
------
“Stinger's been out of production for 20 years, and all of a sudden in the first 48 hours [of the war], it's the star of the show and everybody wants more,” Wes Kremer, the president of RTX’s Raytheon division, said during an interview last week at the Paris Air Show.
--------
When the U.S. Army placed an order for 1,700 Stingers in May 2022, the Pentagon said the missiles wouldn’t be delivered until 2026. Kremer said it will take about 30 months for Stingers to start rolling off of the production line largely because of the time it takes to set up the factory and train its employees.
---------
That means they must build the weapons the same way they were built four decades ago: including installing the missile’s nose cone by hand.

a senile old biden handing over his trusty old weapon to zelenksy:"this is stinger. it glows blue when orcs are near"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait if they stopped making them ages ago what is the American military using right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

how do fire departments work, anyway? sometimes it sounds like a professional job that people are paid to do, but other times you hear about a "volunteer fire department" and it's like, I guess they have day jobs, then?

the heavyweight ufc champ was a part-time firefighter while he was champ so i guess that counted as his day job. he was paid but it wasn't much. maybe that's the "volunteer" part?