Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hyperlynx posted:

I was under the impression that the British controlled India for a few decades, maybe like 50 years?

Nope, more like 200 years.

John Company was the worst corporation that has ever existed. It makes Monsanto look as pure as the driven snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Uh, hmm, the Royal Africa co. was not very good otherwise as well

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This badass 1970s LOTR poster I had on my wall when I was a kid:

.... was drawn by some 17 year old dude called Jimmy Cauty who later went on to become one half of The KLF

I also had this poster, and looked it up a few years ago to the same surprise. Tell you what, searching for "the hobbit poster" in 2017 and trying to avoid the movie was difficult.

e: gollum long arms drawn -"Peter Jackson" -movie

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wee brain: Whales are fish!
Not so wee brain: Whales are mammals, and therefore not fish.
Huge brain: Cladistically, all tetrapods are fish, therefore whales are fish

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Phy posted:

Wee brain: Whales are fish!
Not so wee brain: Whales are mammals, and therefore not fish.
Huge brain: Cladistically, all tetrapods are fish, therefore whales are fish

Very strong Herman Melville energy, seemed like 40 chapters of Moby Dick had this exact breakdown.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"Call me fish" - Whale

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Uncut sheets of US banknotes are legal tender.

Wozniak famously got uncut sheets of bills and then made a perforated pad of $2 bills. He would tear them off to pay for things.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

exquisite tea posted:

"Call me fish" - Whale

Oh I bet you think you're so clever.

Well you are. For once

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Makers of Axe body spray

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
What would be the last common ancestor of snakes and birds?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Tree Bucket posted:

Something in this group

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauria

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Beginning to think these ruthless imperialist bastards might not have been the nicest people

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Enby and nimby are not the same.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

The cockatrice

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
The nursehound is also called a dogfish but is actually a species of catshark :psyduck: it's also different from the nurse shark. And not one of them is a mammal.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

NFX posted:

The nursehound is also called a dogfish but is actually a species of catshark :psyduck: it's also different from the nurse shark. And not one of them is a mammal.

And also not related to the catfish at all (well, other than being fish*) since catfish are ray-fined fish and catsharks are cartilaginous fish .

*But even that's a pretty loose connection, gotta kind of go all the back to Chordata, so as much relation to each other as there is to us...sort of...but not really, cause, surprise surprise, the system of classification we use for all life on earth developed like 250 years ago isn't really perfect.

V V V Not just animals, but those might be the most bonkers. V V V

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Animal classification is just clownshoes nonsense.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Philippe posted:

if animals don't have classes why are fish in schools

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Philippe posted:

The President can telepathically declassify animals.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

V V V Not just animals, but those might be the most bonkers. V V V

An oldie but still good. Plants are wild:
https://eukaryotewritesblog.com/2021/05/02/theres-no-such-thing-as-a-tree/

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
The pharma company Janssen existed before they were acquired and became a Johnson & Johnson subsidiary. It wasn't like some J&J rebrand for the Benelux market.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I didn't actually read the article, so I'm just going off the title. "Tree" is a descriptive term for woody plants above a certain height. A very young oak would not count as a "tree," even though most people think of oaks as trees, for example. There is no taxonomic group that is "trees."

Similarly how there is no scientific group that is "vegetables." Calling something a vegetable is a descriptive/culinary term. Perfectly valid, just not a scientific term.

And if you want to get extra wacky, taxonomically speaking, there is also no such thing as a fish!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Silver Falcon posted:

Similarly how there is no scientific group that is "vegetables." Calling something a vegetable is a descriptive/culinary term. Perfectly valid, just not a scientific term.

Been a medical term too

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Post Malone is not a rapper but a popper.
Listening to post malone makes buttsex feel a lot better for sure

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

Grassy Knowles posted:

if animals don't have classes why are fish in schools

Supposedly fish don't categorically exist

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

caspergers posted:

Supposedly fish don't categorically exist

Lungfish and coelacanth are more closely related to humans than pretty much anything else you'd call a fish.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

Lungfish and coelacanth are more closely related to humans than pretty much anything else you'd call a fish.

Humans go to schools too so we’re fish

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fish exist and they've secretly taken over the world.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The most specific group that includes everything we consider fish is vertebrates.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Baron von Eevl posted:

The most specific group that includes everything we consider fish is vertebrates.

Feels like the hagfish gets through on a technicality here

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

sea anemone are kinda fish

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Birds are reptiles.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Bats are bugs

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

pik_d posted:

Bats are bugs

They don’t bug me

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

pik_d posted:

Bats are bugs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

pik_d posted:

Bats are bugs

okay that's over the line

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pik_d posted:

Bats are bugs

Good night, don't let the bat bugs bite.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Everyone knows bats are the spirits of children who died without being baptised cursed to roam the night and torment the living until the apocalypse when they will be judged and finally receive some rest.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Everyone knows bats are the spirits of children who died without being baptised cursed to roam the night and torment the living until the apocalypse when they will be judged and finally receive some rest.

Judged on how well they tormented the living? Do they get into super heaven if they give a toddler rabies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

The Moon Monster posted:

Judged on how well they tormented the living? Do they get into super heaven if they give a toddler rabies?

Yes, because there is the chance they could be creating its own replacement in the process; and that is rewarded.