Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

“durrrrrr US hegemony neeeeer NATO on Russia’s doorstep neeeeeeeer”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

TulliusCicero posted:

You folks in the EU should really kick these loving idiots out

Like Hungary sort your poo poo out, holy poo poo

Yeah thats one of the weakspots of the EU. We can't kick someone out. Only thing that is possible is the EU doesn't transfer any money to Hungar, and try diplomacy. I believe tens of billions reserved for Hungary are being held right now.
Orban is walking a very thin line trying to balance the scales in his favour between the EU and Russia

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
"this hole was made for me, this is my hole"

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

You folks in the EU should really kick these loving idiots out

Like Hungary sort your poo poo out, holy poo poo

EU does not have a system where someone is thrown out, it only has a system where someone is put into a penalty box, but it needs to be approved by everyone else. And currently Poland for its own purposes is vetoing all sanctions against Hungary, and Hungary is vetoing all sanctions against Poland.

Which is even stupider, considering that Poland seems to hate Russia with the power of the sun, while Orban, as demonstrated here, openly supports Russia on this war. And not only passive support either, Hungary has forbidden relief aid for Ukraine, or evacuation of civilians, from going through them, and blocked several EU-wide aid packages.

But right now the best we can hope for is that Poland at some point comes to its senses, and EU gets to royally gently caress with Orban's little dictatorship by cutting all benefits and other EU aid packages until that fat gently caress is in jail for life.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 29, 2023

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

beer_war posted:

There is no mechanism to kick out an EU member state. It's possible to suspend a member state's voting rights, but that requires an unanimous decision. Unfortunately, Poland and Hungary got each other's back, so we're stuck with Orbán.

Ahh, so Hungary is your Florida or Texas

You have my deepest sympathies

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

Der Kyhe posted:

EU does not have a system where someone is thrown out, it only has a system where someone is put into a penalty box, but it needs to be approved by everyone else. And currently Poland for its own purposes is vetoing all sanctions against Hungary, and Hungary is vetoing all sanctions against Poland.

Which is even stupider, considering that Poland seems to hate Russia with the power of the sun, while Orban, as demonstrated here, openly supports Russia on this war. And not only passive support either, Hungary has forbidden relief aid for Ukraine, of evacuation of civilians, from going through them, and blocked several EU-wide aid packages.

But right now the best we can hope for is that Poland at some point comes to its senses, and EU gets to royally gently caress with Orban's little dictatorship by cutting all benefits and other EU aid packages until that fat gently caress is in jail for life.

While the EU can't support Ukraine directly, each individual country can. And there is nothing Hungary can do to stop that. It just makes te proces longer.

The best bet is indeed Poland stops backing Hungary

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Der Kyhe posted:

Once PIS is out of power it will be a fairly quick change I would imagine. As long as they can get to an election without them rigging it in some way.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Der Kyhe posted:

Which is even stupider, considering that Poland seems to hate Russia with the power of the sun, while Orban, as demonstrated here, openly supports Russia on this war. And not only passive support either, Hungary has forbidden relief aid for Ukraine, or evacuation of civilians, from going through them, and blocked several EU-wide aid packages.

Yeah, that's the part that's confusing the hell out of me, like... Poland, I get that currently you are being run by a bunch of psycho-rightist Cathofascists, but you DO realize that Hungary as it is right now would be happy with you being under the Russian heel?

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

quote:

Sweden's NATO application is going slowly.

On Wednesday, Hungary announced that it is postponing the vote in parliament until this fall, AP reports.

Sweden's plans to join the military alliance before the summit in Vilnius this summer thus appear to be dashed.

It is the Hungarian Member of Parliament Agnes Vadai who gives the news in a post on Facebook. There she writes that the governing party Fidesz will not schedule a vote before the parliament's summer recess.

"Orbán does not want to vote on Sweden joining NATO next week either. Putin's servant!", writes Agnes Vadai in her post, writes TT.

According to AP, several high-ranking Hungarian officials support Sweden's NATO application. But according to the news agency, at the same time they make vague demands in order to vote yes.

Together with Turkey, Hungary is the two countries that have not yet approved Sweden in NATO.

It is also not the first time that Hungary has postponed the Swedish vote. The same thing also happened earlier in March this year.

from an article in Swedish rag Expressen today. Google translated.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Tei posted:

If Wagner ends joining the normal army, these guys joining Wagner will see themselves in the normal army.

They can form the Dirlewagner Brigade.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

staberind posted:

That reminds me, what happened to that woman with the marvelous hair?

Eaten to death by perfidious NATO lice... :rip:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Speaking purely as a swede, there's absolutely no "war fatigue" here.
1) It's not our guys dying.
2) The money and equipment going to Ukraine has zero impact on ordinary swedes.
3) We are really, really tired of Russia's poo poo.

Like, we've spent 300 years at war or preparing for war with Russia. Then after the fall of the USSR everyone thought things would chill out. We traveled to Russia. We traded with Russia. Hell, we held joint military exercises with Russia.
And Russia kept loving with us. Subs in our waters, planes in our sky and spies all over the place. Russians buying up land near sensitive military installations.
We tried to be good neighbors, and we got shat on.

So the general mood here is "Go Ukraine! gently caress them up!"

Japp.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

"I've been in charge of military forces for like 35 years."

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Wasn't it in Sweden where that exiled Chechen activist stole a hammer from his kadyrov-sent would be assassin and beat his rear end with it?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Under-fire? "Under Siege" was right loving there.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1674350355763589120?t=5g_wb1obSB9WCgD_OyzEeg&s=19

Blyat

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

free hubcaps posted:

Wasn't it in Sweden where that exiled Chechen activist stole a hammer from his kadyrov-sent would be assassin and beat his rear end with it?

What? Sounds awesome.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1674148261123293190

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

beer_war posted:

There is no mechanism to kick out an EU member state. It's possible to suspend a member state's voting rights, but that requires an unanimous decision. Unfortunately, Poland and Hungary got each other's back, so we're stuck with Orbán.

I'm thinking that Polish support for Hungary might be reduced from the war - especially if Poland starts to "westernize" like Ukraine (By this I don't really mean "like the west", but reducing corruption, becoming more liberal, free press and independent justice systems etc)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

This is going to make models of these post war harder to paint after assembly.

I feel they should be using it to put camo on too.

A moving forest or something would be a lot harder to see from above.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone here seen the movie Atomic Eden? The goons in the CBRN suits give strong vibes of being Russian conscripts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKh86lxfC5A

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

free hubcaps posted:

Sounds pretty dope, but I've honestly not kept track of this!

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

neato burrito posted:

"I've been in charge of military forces for like 35 years."

You quoting Franz Conrad von Hötzendorf?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1674355079338401795
:thunkin:

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I love the tank. You know that fucker is going to get ripped right off the first time they take it out.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kadyrov is still stuck at Rostov, complaining about the horrible traffic jams, while the roundabout ahead of him is blocked by Akhmet troops trapped in a loop

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Besides other aid, Ukraine will also be given another 190 Roshel IMVs.
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1674341928987508736

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1674370881332686851

Lol

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Guess we found where most of the rations went. Into the pot belly of the spokesman.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah, that thing is gone five seconds after the gunner gets spooked by a loud noise.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What cracks me up by the likes of Turkey and Hungary stalling Sweden joining NATO is that US and UK have a defence agreement with Sweden while they are in the interim period. Finland is inbetween Sweden and Russia, UK is a strategically located island and US has pretty big balls military wise. Not really sure what the power play is here. Pretty sure Sweden isn't going to be wiping their brow of sweat waiting to join NATO.

A Fin or Norwegian can correct me here but aren't they all on pretty good terms and likely to join in regardless of NATO because they are all friends? Similar to like Aus/NZ are?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

What cracks me up by the likes of Turkey and Hungary stalling Sweden joining NATO is that US and UK have a defence agreement with Sweden while they are in the interim period. Finland is inbetween Sweden and Russia, UK is a strategically located island and US has pretty big balls military wise. Not really sure what the power play is here. Pretty sure Sweden isn't going to be wiping their brow of sweat waiting to join NATO.

A Fin or Norwegian can correct me here but aren't they all on pretty good terms and likely to join in regardless of NATO because they are all friends? Similar to like Aus/NZ are?

My impression is that it's mostly to play tough guy back at home. Sweden isn't getting invaded because Finland is in the way, EU has a mutual defense clause, and Uncle Sam would immediately jump in regardless. So yeah I don't think they have any leverage here to get any actual concessions but Erdo/Orban can go talk about how they're standing up to "the west".

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Tai posted:

Norway and Finland have severe inferiority complexes vs Sweden. But sure, if they asked nicely.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tai posted:

Yes, especially now when Russia pretty much has to violate NATO airspace to have any sort of war going on with Sweden, and then its gloves off Article 5 time.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1674372478582558720?s=20
:laugh:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:munch:

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1674384025618661380?s=20
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1674387107404447745?s=20

:shrug:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

i hope if i ever get in trouble, my kid doesn't have to release an audio message saying that i'm definitely 100% still alive.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1674271041529565185
There is no war in Ba Sing Se.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean let's be clear Turkey will shortly be a dictatorship and has chosen to join the new axis of evil with the wholehearted support of its people