Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/narrative_hole/status/1674062896857317379

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gnoman posted:

Swiss policy is that they'll sell weapons in peacetime, but providing weapons to nation currently in a shooting war is taking a side, and Swiss policy is to never take sides.

The Swiss could use the flimsy pretext of "on what grounds can Russia object? They have repeatedly said they are not at war" if they really wanted.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1674078134692356097
More mobik wailing about being thrown to the wolves with no gear and support, this time near Bakhmut.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

18 hour days for me, for 6 months.

The Dick Sucking Factory thread is thattaway

just kiiiiiidding

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

naem posted:

Americans may love, love making fun of ourselves, our many flaws, and our own government’s seemly inept bureaucracy but our logistics are far and away the deadliest thing on the planet right now (for better or worse)

it’s not a matter of America = good as much as, look at the other guys

Part of needing to cross the Atlantic or the Pacific to fight most of the wars in the last 100 years.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Flyinglemur posted:

My first deployment to the Gulf I was a gunner on an amphibious assault ship, but we had plenty of air conditioning and good food after we dropped the Marines off. The subsequent deployments on submarines were much more tolerable

Gunner on a submarine *does* sound pretty cushy.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

The Dick Sucking Factory thread is thattaway

just kiiiiiidding

zone
Dec 6, 2016
If selling hotdogs again doesn't work out for him, he could always switch to selling tamales or something

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1674081289228414976
Impossible for you to abandon it? What if Ukraine makes you abandon it, Sergei?

zone fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 28, 2023

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Gnoman posted:

Swiss policy is that they'll sell weapons in peacetime, but providing weapons to nation currently in a shooting war is taking a side, and Swiss policy is to never take sides.

The lesson we, and every buyer of Swiss military equipment, are learning. Is that during a war the Swiss will stop selling you spare parts. Because neutrality.
And now there's some buyers regret.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
The biggest task they set at the beginning was regime change in kiev. Anything less than that is a clear failure of their stated objectives so they have a long way to go, imo. Not looking very promising.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Sashimi posted:

lmao Shoigu's a weeb

Dr. Quarex posted:

Accuse him of war crimes all you want but he IS Tuvan and that looks Tuvan enough for government work

Sashimi posted:

I'll take your word for it as someone who knows nothing about Tuvan architecture or culture.

A quick note on this, "traditional" Tuvan houses aren't really distinguishable from regular Russian houses, because prior to the Sayan gold rush in the 1880s, the Turkic Tuvan people were largely nomadic pastoralists and lived in yurts, which they called ög.

The few permanent structures built by Turco-Mongolian peoples before the arrival of the Russians were mainly Buddhist temples and monasteries, mostly patterned on Chinese and Tibetan traditions following the Mongol conquest of China and subsequent introduction of Buddhism to the Mongol empire.

There's really not much traditionally Tuvan in Shoigu's house. Most likely he's just a massive sinaboo.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Can you believe the perfidious US, always wanting to implement regime change to further their hegemony.

Wait, WHAT?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rahu posted:

The biggest task they set at the beginning was regime change in kiev. Anything less than that is a clear failure of their stated objectives so they have a long way to go, imo. Not looking very promising.

Zelenskyy would've been out after this election if they didn't start their stupid operation lol.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

ishikabibble posted:

The MIC are absolutely profit driven, but a lot of the cost comes in the US DoD acquisition side of things requiring extensive documentation on basically every aspect of how a thing was made to ensure it was made following the proper specs and manufacturing processes so it will perform as its supposed to, in addition to making sure the company itself and the supply chain they use is safe from any kind of espionage, sabotage, or general issues in a time of war.
The phrase 'good enough for government work' used to actually mean something that was extremely well made because of that. There are probably hundreds of thousands of specs that are still in active use that were formerly created by the US government and were then handed off to non-government standards organizations.

There actually was a massive controversy some years ago that just wrapped up on the F35, where a subcontractor of a subcontractor of a subcontractor (probably) was found to be supplying Chinese-made magnets for use in the turbine engines.

It's a very minor thing and the investigation ended with 'yeah they're safe to fly', but there's still liability there.

I can’t disagree, but for clarification I meant more the usefulness in large scale war than the manufacture quality. This conflict will give a lot of insights though.

An example from the top of my head are the usefulness of the F-16 compared to JAS Gripen where the former is technically better, but the latter can be deployed anywhere with a 200 meter straight road and serviced by a crew of 6 hiding somewhere in a camping trailer in the forest

I’m not sure in comparisons to French, British and German weapons that US weapons would be so much better except on paper

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Rahu posted:

In 2 years, when all territory is recaptured, an election in Ukraine is actually held and Zelenskyy doesn't run, they'll declare victory as soon as the new president is sworn in. "Westoid democracy loses again, Putin lasted longer!"

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Zelenskyy would've been out after this election if they didn't start their stupid operation lol.

That's the funny thing, yeah. Zelenskyy basically became a Ukrainian Churchill; a middling peacetime leader that most people weren't very excited or fond of, then metamorphosising into a wartime juggernaut that has since rallied something like 90% of the public to his side going by his latest approval ratings. He was what Ukraine needed when they needed it, and if he steps aside after the war he will very likely go down in Ukrainian history as one of their most important leaders.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Anders posted:

I can’t disagree, but for clarification I meant more the usefulness in large scale war than the manufacture quality. This conflict will give a lot of insights though.

An example from the top of my head are the usefulness of the F-16 compared to JAS Gripen where the former is technically better, but the latter can be deployed anywhere with a 200 meter straight road and serviced by a crew of 6 hiding somewhere in a camping trailer in the forest

I’m not sure in comparisons to French, British and German weapons that US weapons would be so much better except on paper

I think you'll find that no aircraft restricted to a 200 meter runway gets its full combat effectiveness, and no turbine aircraft (especially military) tolerates lack of spares or maintenance for long. it's cool that they can do it at all, but if you're employing that capability you're losing.

Ukraine hasn't even run out of airbases in this conflict. The West broadly certainly wouldn't.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

There's really not much traditionally Tuvan in Shoigu's house. Most likely he's just a massive sinaboo.

Sergey sighed as he drew his jian...

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

and c'mon no way an F-16 beats a Gripen, there's like a 25 year age gap between the designs....

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Anders posted:

Lol, letting Russian backed neo-nazis sabotage their own geopolitical goals is peak :sweden:

:dumbbravo:

I wonder how conflicted the acab-left is in Sweden right now?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Honestly, probably not at all. I'm more surprised that you actually need to get a permit to do it.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

DandyLion posted:

and c'mon no way an F-16 beats a Gripen, there's like a 25 year age gap between the designs....

Especially the latest version of the Gripen has the cool 360 camera system that constantly monitors everything going on around it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Those jokes about Surovikin and that other general recording messages in a locked room may not have been jokes

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1674100048911532042?t=YSQImXmtiDKUa8IpKbSUrg&s=19

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1674102629012471818?t=f0pYzNW3gx3LJPdF9Z4ACQ&s=19

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ishikabibble posted:

The phrase 'good enough for government work' used to actually mean something that was extremely well made because of that. There are probably hundreds of thousands of specs that are still in active use that were formerly created by the US government and were then handed off to non-government standards organizations.
the derisory term of it stems from the post-ww2 and vietnam era stretches before the US government got really serious about the things you mention here. there's a reason why having a DoD or DoE contractor on your resume is more or less a "write your own salary" permit. many engineers have problems playing with others on some level or another. if you were even moderately successful in a government contracting position in 202X it's because you, in one word, don't.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

DandyLion posted:

Tom Cruise is in the F-16. Checkmate Gripen.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Tom Cruise is in the F-16. Checkmate Gripen.

talk to me goose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJELGSWubzI

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

DandyLion posted:

Somewhere Aatrex feels a chill run down his back.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Oldsmobile posted:

I wonder how conflicted the acab-left is in Sweden right now?

The integrity to say "I oppose this use of power and consider it illegitimate, even when it is used against my most bitter political enemies" is staggeringly rare in general. And from the kind of people who simply can't wait to "punch a Nazi"? Lmao.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Edit: I misunderstood

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 28, 2023

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Gerashenko has a good "Russia might collapse or is collapsing alread" sticky:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1674077790432374794

quote:

Is Ukraine ready for Russia's collapse?
Is the West ready for Russia's collapse?

Until recent events, many Western politicians and experts believed that power in Russia is monolithic, and while Putin may not rule forever, he will have an heir who will preserve the unity and rigidness of the system and of Russia itself.

The collapse of Putin's regime was considered, but not the collapse of Russia as a state.

That was very noticeable by the topics of many foreign conferences and similar events - representatives of Russia's minorities were not invited along with the rest of liberal Russians, and issues of Russian collapse and de-colonization were not discussed.

After Prigozhin's failed rebellion the world saw that the process of the regime's collapsing is happening in front of our own eyes and it might happen faster than can be expected.

It is possible that the collapse of Russian state might follow.

We've seen the chaos that happened in those 24 hours. Chaos presents an enormous threat for the whole world, as nuclear weapons can get under control of some thugs (and as we've seen, it's possible).

The empire must collapse. De-colonization must occur. But the sick empire must not drag the whole world down with it. It is high time to develop strategies and think through possible options of how events might unfold. And Ukraine, as a country that opposes and is capable of opposing the Russian Empire, can and must offer its own scenarios and options.

My personal thought is that the best option for the world is Russia turning into a confederation where there won't be a strong and unaccountable central power.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Roman Reigns posted:

Wow I figured support for the war would steadily decrease as war fatigue sets in.

Speaking purely as a swede, there's absolutely no "war fatigue" here.
1) It's not our guys dying.
2) The money and equipment going to Ukraine has zero impact on ordinary swedes.
3) We are really, really tired of Russia's poo poo.

Like, we've spent 300 years at war or preparing for war with Russia. Then after the fall of the USSR everyone thought things would chill out. We traveled to Russia. We traded with Russia. Hell, we held joint military exercises with Russia.
And Russia kept loving with us. Subs in our waters, planes in our sky and spies all over the place. Russians buying up land near sensitive military installations.
We tried to be good neighbors, and we got shat on.

So the general mood here is "Go Ukraine! gently caress them up!"

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Moscow Times now also reporting on the arrest of Surovikin, citing sources in the MoD.

https://www.moscowtimes.ru/2023/06/28/istochniki-v-minoboroni-soobschayut-ob-areste-generala-surovikina-a47384

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

Gunner on a submarine *does* sound pretty cushy.

No, no too cramped. No sun. Gunner on a Zumwalt is the way to go. Those Advanced Gun Systems need close attention.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

beer_war posted:

Moscow Times now also reporting on the arrest of Surovikin, citing sources in the MoD.

https://www.moscowtimes.ru/2023/06/28/istochniki-v-minoboroni-soobschayut-ob-areste-generala-surovikina-a47384

holy poo poo that the goon theories were right

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

beer_war posted:

"In the context of Prigozhin. Apparently, he [Surovikin] chose the side of [Prigozhin during the rebellion] and he was grabbed by the eggs," said the second source.

I realize it's a direct translation but "he was grabbed by the eggs" really adds a nice texture. A real "welp".

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Well that would explain why Prigozhin was cocky enough to do it, if other generals were going to go to his side

Also explains the awkward video of Surovikin telling prigozhin to back down

In summary, LMFAO thoughts and prayers

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Speaking purely as a swede, there's absolutely no "war fatigue" here.
1) It's not our guys dying.
2) The money and equipment going to Ukraine has zero impact on ordinary swedes.
3) We are really, really tired of Russia's poo poo.

Like, we've spent 300 years at war or preparing for war with Russia. Then after the fall of the USSR everyone thought things would chill out. We traveled to Russia. We traded with Russia. Hell, we held joint military exercises with Russia.
And Russia kept loving with us. Subs in our waters, planes in our sky and spies all over the place. Russians buying up land near sensitive military installations.
We tried to be good neighbors, and we got shat on.

So the general mood here is "Go Ukraine! gently caress them up!"

This is all western propaganda. Russia is innocent

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

SLOSifl posted:

"In the context of Prigozhin. Apparently, he [Surovikin] chose the side of [Prigozhin during the rebellion] and he was grabbed by the eggs," said the second source.

I realize it's a direct translation but "he was grabbed by the eggs" really adds a nice texture. A real "welp".

sometimes even in the deepest end of rear end, in the poo poo itself, you still get grabbed by the eggs

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 28, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Russia was attacked by the West’s epic finger wave psychic damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
So did Putin smell dissent in the air and have Prigozhin do a false flag coup so he could round up any collaborators?

If so lol