Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

The GPS breaks due to the force of firing. The shell is more expensive than just saturating the area with conventional shells. The shell has less explosives because it has to carry a GPS. The artillery platform has to have a bunch of dumb bullshit attached to it for positioning, increasing weight, power consumption, and necessitating maintenance. Jamming exists. Precision munitions are a grift for the stupid.

Can you explain why you're qualified to make these statements? Are you a ballistics engineer or something? Or is your source "trust me bro"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What would be the point of a GPS guided round if it broke upon firing? That makes zero sense.

I'm sure a ton of testing went into developing the Excalibur round so that the GPS guidance system survived firing, that's also why these things are so expensive. Engineering/testing cost and low production numbers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Nix Panicus posted:

The GPS breaks due to the force of firing. The shell is more expensive than just saturating the area with conventional shells. The shell has less explosives because it has to carry a GPS. The artillery platform has to have a bunch of dumb bullshit attached to it for positioning, increasing weight, power consumption, and necessitating maintenance. Jamming exists. Precision munitions are a grift for the stupid.

High g resistant electronics is a solved issue. The GPS is actually quite small.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

spankmeister posted:

Can you explain why you're qualified to make these statements? Are you a ballistics engineer or something? Or is your source "trust me bro"?

He's trolling, best to ignore him.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nix Panicus posted:

Russia has been running out of shells since May of 2022, yet they still keep raining down. Artillery shells aren't hard to make, especially if you arent trying to stuff a GPS unit inside because your military is wholly owned by corporations trying to jack up the cost without regard for effectiveness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostec

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

mrfart posted:

He's trolling, best to ignore him.

tbf, people this bad at recognizing trolling should be trolled

EasilyConfused posted:

Am I misunderstanding this or did it take the Russian Navy more than year to go "oh right, camouflage exists?"

camouflage isn't that vital anymore when there are radars and satellites

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The GPS component is actually so sturdy that sometimes surgeons find them from soldiers' wounds and they can be reused.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Nenonen posted:

The GPS component is actually so sturdy that sometimes surgeons find them from soldiers' wounds and they can be reused.

I thought those components turned out to be from the covid vaccines

Seriously though, is that actually true?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Maera Sior posted:

This assumes satellites only work in the visual range (they do not).

It also assumes that this camo is effective in the visual spectrum and that Ukraine are even using AI to analyze these images. The fog of war is always going to mean this sort of adaptation is based on assumptions about the enemy.

That doesn't mean this isn't an interesting attempt at real world battlefield AI camo - unless you've got another theory for why they're doing this? It doesn't seem like it would be very effective vs humans, or that a drone hitting one warship instead of another due to pilot misidentification would matter much at all.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Fragrag posted:

Seriously though, is that actually true?

Sure, it's often recovered along with their progenoid gland!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1674334125090648066?t=jWhOtOw6iJ0f7VZBtPq4pA&s=19

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Is all this kinda hinting at purges beneath the surface (so far)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

My impression is that the military authorities who were sympathetic to wagner were the more competent and ruthless ones. This purge could be great for Ukraine.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Not entirely sure about how competent they might have been overall, but they were the ones who wanted to change things and it's hard to imagine changing the Russian army for worse. Iirc "general Armageddon" who is allegedly in deep poo poo now was originally dismissed in Ukraine because he wanted to do crazy things like retreat to defensible positions and consolidate.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

If that's actually Venediktov he is also saying earlier that Surovikin hasn't been heard from by his family for a few days...

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
There's definitely going to be purges after anunsuccessful coup targeting people with ties to Wagner.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1674328723330420736

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Yeah, it feels like the Wagner sympathisers getting purged were the relatively competent ones who most bristled at being under Shoigu

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Chalks posted:

It also assumes that this camo is effective in the visual spectrum and that Ukraine are even using AI to analyze these images. The fog of war is always going to mean this sort of adaptation is based on assumptions about the enemy.

That doesn't mean this isn't an interesting attempt at real world battlefield AI camo - unless you've got another theory for why they're doing this? It doesn't seem like it would be very effective vs humans, or that a drone hitting one warship instead of another due to pilot misidentification would matter much at all.

They seem to be stuck in a "Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" position, plus someone can point to it and say they did something.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Camoflauge never looks very convincing up close. At a distance, it can make life pretty hard on, say, people squinting through mediocre cameras on a drone boat.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

But they have plenty of satellite/plane data to know what's out there, and no new ships are arriving.

Do we have any navy experts here?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ChubbyChecker posted:

camouflage isn't that vital anymore when there are radars and satellites

At least for ground forces, the value of camoflauge had been re-learned in this war. It's not possible to be invisible or anything like that : something always has a sensor good morning enough to see you. But you can skew the odds a little bit,, or require your enemy to use a more valuable asset woth better sensors, or put enough doubt into what they're seeing to cause them to target a lesser, but more certain target.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
painting the ships likely isn't meant to fool the fanciest spy satellite the US operates it's meant to fool Ukrainian recon and surveillance tools, which are more likely to be drones operating at significantly long ranges

(not a navy expert)

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

At least for ground forces, the value of camoflauge had been re-learned in this war. It's not possible to be invisible or anything like that : something always has a sensor good morning enough to see you. But you can skew the odds a little bit,, or require your enemy to use a more valuable asset woth better sensors, or put enough doubt into what they're seeing to cause them to target a lesser, but more certain target.

I'm thinking this might be about tempting your enemy to use a less powerful/less advanced weapon that can be (theoretically) countered by the more powerful ships.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

If that's actually Venediktov he is also saying earlier that Surovikin hasn't been heard from by his family for a few days...

It is him. For whatever reason he has this weird handle across all his social media. He's still on good terms with some people close to Putin, so outside of official statements, he's probably the closest you can get to a reliable source on this.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Maera Sior posted:

I'm thinking this might be about tempting your enemy to use a less powerful/less advanced weapon that can be (theoretically) countered by the more powerful ships.

Sure, maybe. A lot of deception is geared towards casting doubt or forcing your opponent to make decisions constantly.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ynglaur posted:

How much of this is due to the relatively static nature of the war?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The paint could just be a morale measure - sailors idling in port are getting antsy at feeling vulnerable, the bosses put them to work painting camouflage on their ships. Paint is cheap, soldiers are kept busy, and they feel like they're doing something that might help them in a fight or an attack. If the camouflage actually provides some protection against a bombing raid or drone attack, well that's just a nice bonus.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
eh it's all intended to make the ships look smaller and less important, that's definitely not some incidental make work

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

The Russians should have a lot of captured examples of the Ukrainian drone boats so they should know what sort of sensors those have. If all they got are relatively low res cameras, I could see the paint being very effective on the approach.

Edit:
OSINTtechnical linked this interesting account of Russian telegram channels complaining about military bureaucracy and requiring a parallel civilian development path:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1674086224917667843.html

quote:

This is a true story, by the way. And that's why those who really do something, refuse the help. They organize themselves, make their own products, find testing areas and raw materials. Volunteers collect money and take products to the front on their own.
The system is organized and operates in parallel with the state and beyond it. Sure, there are some flaws and theft, but still... More than half of ISR across the entire front is provided by private volunteers via DJI Mavics.
Not thanks to, but in spite of the state with its customs and prohibitions at all levels! And those who work in this parallel system avoid contact with the state, which sees and understands this. It sees this as a threat (demonstration of someone else's effectiveness) and a competitor.
Therefore, for the past few months, the state (and MOD) has been diligently and methodically crushing such (small-scale) private enterprises, where drone/UAV developments are dying in the web of bureaucracy, and the developers are leaving this rotten business in the end.

Its unsurprising that volunteers and private industry are getting in on supplying the Russian army (I think a lot of troops were supposed to be supplied by the local governments who were wildly unprepared), but seeing attempts to make these recognized fail because the volunteers are wary of incompetence is funny.

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 29, 2023

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

MikeC posted:

How much of this is due to the relatively static nature of the war?

Even in an offensive, there are lots of times people and vehicles aren't moving. And camouflage helps even with moving targets, albeit less. It's all about skewing the odds in your favor for relatively little investment. If your tank is painted traffic cone orange, maybe a person without optics could spot it 2000m away in the forest. If it's dark green, you're down to 800m. That's an extreme example, but meters and seconds matter.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ynglaur posted:

Even in an offensive, there are lots of times people and vehicles aren't moving. And camouflage helps even with moving targets, albeit less. It's all about skewing the odds in your favor for relatively little investment. If your tank is painted traffic cone orange, maybe a person without optics could spot it 2000m away in the forest. If it's dark green, you're down to 800m. That's an extreme example, but meters and seconds matter.

Traffic cone orange doesn't seem like a good choice for camouflage, I hope they change that soon!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

But if we paint our tanks traffic cone orange, maybe they'll just think we're hunting really big deer and leave us alone.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KillHour posted:

But if we paint our tanks traffic cone orange, maybe they'll just think we're hunting really big deer and leave us alone.

"That thing is bright orange, like they want us to hit it. Let's target something else."

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

FMguru posted:

The paint could just be a morale measure - sailors idling in port are getting antsy at feeling vulnerable, the bosses put them to work painting camouflage on their ships. Paint is cheap, soldiers are kept busy, and they feel like they're doing something that might help them in a fight or an attack. If the camouflage actually provides some protection against a bombing raid or drone attack, well that's just a nice bonus.

"If we paint a target on our ships it's like reverse psychology, no one's gonna want to shoot at them."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I've heard that orange is the new black, sounds like a good camo! Really, if hunters use it and animals don't see them...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

"If we paint a target on our ships it's like reverse psychology, no one's gonna want to shoot at them."

If we painted our ships capsized and on fire...

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

KillHour posted:

Stupidly enough in Finland the hunter's required high-vis clothing color was changed from generally yellow to really bright orange because the yellow color kept blending too well to the autumn colors.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Maera Sior posted:

But they have plenty of satellite/plane data to know what's out there, and no new ships are arriving.

Do we have any navy experts here?

The big problem I see with the effectiveness of this camouflage is that they have all the vessel tracks. So vessel goes to the pier, they paint the bow and stern to make it look smaller… but it’s still known what vessel went to that pier because the track still exists. I don’t see this being particularly effective unless they can disrupt the tracks which isn’t going to happen unless they can disrupt the satellites.

I don’t think this will even trick commercial AIS tracking companies (which can track by satellite when AIS is off but generally don’t make that free / publicly facing (I know they can do this because the CEO of marine traffic told me they can).

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Der Kyhe posted:

Stupidly enough in Finland the hunter's required high-vis clothing color was changed from generally yellow to really bright orange because the yellow color kept blending too well to the autumn colors.

I thought the main reason for using orange hi-vis in hunting applications is that deer and boar are color blind to orange, but not yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The big problem I see with the effectiveness of this camouflage is that they have all the vessel tracks. So vessel goes to the pier, they paint the bow and stern to make it look smaller… but it’s still known what vessel went to that pier because the track still exists. I don’t see this being particularly effective unless they can disrupt the tracks which isn’t going to happen unless they can disrupt the satellites.

I don’t think this will even trick commercial AIS tracking companies (which can track by satellite when AIS is off but generally don’t make that free / publicly facing (I know they can do this because the CEO of marine traffic told me they can).

I mean don't we lose track of vessels at sea quite often? Ships can turn off or spoof AIS and in poor weather conditions, it's very possible to lose track of ships? The body of water might make a difference here, I'm no expert on the Black Sea but you often hear about unknown vessels in reporting.

It might not fool satellites on a clear day while docked, but I'm not sure its really supposed to.