Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

so are they shutting down or are they hiring writers off of fiverr for each article or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

New national geographic written by chatgpt with photos by dalle

They have 135 years of issues to train on

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I cannot imagine any politician pushing something that makes quality of life better, like reading books or whatever

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Disney does what Murdon't

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:rip: my childhood

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

I cannot imagine any politician pushing something that makes quality of life better, like reading books or whatever

Remember when Michelle Obama said the most bland bullshit of "maybe kids should drink water" and we got a bunch of republicans whinging about how that's bad, actually

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

is the gameplay any good? because other than the titular trap, mousetrap is a snoozer

I get a kick out of people who call this a christian nation or whatever nonsense. This is the least christian country that's ever existed

Is there anything in the New Testament that American "Christians" preach? Often wandered because it sure doesn't seem that way.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is there anything in the New Testament that American "Christians" preach? Often wandered because it sure doesn't seem that way.

There's a bunch about being a virgin, which should be seen in the context of the writers expecting a literal doomsday within their lifetimes, but gets recontextualized. Also probably some of the good anti-Semitism bits of John

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

They preach plenty of it. Actually understanding or living by it is completely different.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Idk if it's like this in other countries but for a lot of American christians, going to church and having a veneer of religion is mostly just an easy low-effort way to have an automatic social circle as an adult, cuz that's actually kinda hard once you're out of school and not by default surrounded by people your own age all the time. The bible is kinda ancillary to this and mostly treated as part vague self-help book when you've got problems, part list of reasons why people you don't like are actually objectively Bad (or why you should feel bad about yourself, if you're into that).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Most people here are confirmed Christians but absolutely don't want to hang around people who go to church for regular service. Because they're all horrible shits.

E: not that being a confirmed Lutheran in Finland means anything except just that. People want church weddings.

Ee: Apparently about 9% of people claim to attend service at least once a month. More than I would've thought.

3D Megadoodoo has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Jun 29, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Most people here are confirmed Christians but absolutely don't want to hang around people who go to church for regular service. Because they're all horrible shits.

E: not that being a confirmed Lutheran in Finland means anything except just that. People want church weddings.

Yeah I mean to be clear there's a lot more people here who just identify as "idk, Christian I guess?" but they also tend to not be ginormous assholes about it

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
There are no American Christians, it's just a sea of Mammonites over here.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ee: Apparently about 9% of people claim to attend service at least once a month. More than I would've thought.

That's definitely the kind of stat people would lie to both surveys and themselves about though lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah according to the church, attendance minus Yule and poo poo like that is less than 1%. Lmao just convert them into Hesburgers already.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Edit: nvm

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Shame Boy posted:

Remember when Michelle Obama said the most bland bullshit of "maybe kids should drink water" and we got a bunch of republicans whinging about how that's bad, actually

Seems evil to try to make kids drink water when she knows her husband is poisoning it tbh

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moPY9_wqH-8

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

blatman posted:

so are they shutting down or are they hiring writers off of fiverr for each article or what

Probably just buying articles. Or the entire magazine is Marvel ads.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Orange Devil posted:

Seems evil to try to make kids drink water when she knows her husband is poisoning it tbh

Simply light the tap water on fire to neutralize any PFAS or microplastics.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

The thing that sticks out in my mind about reading NatGeo when I was a kid was the pieces featuring lots of Americana pictures. Like, "here's a picture of a young couple dancing at a country bar; the last factory in this dying town is shutting down and their future is uncertain but they can't imagine living anywhere else.".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Edmund Sparkler posted:

The thing that sticks out in my mind about reading NatGeo when I was a kid was the pieces featuring lots of Americana pictures. Like, "here's a picture of a young couple dancing at a country bar; the last factory in this dying town is shutting down and their future is uncertain but they can't imagine living anywhere else.".

In the future, Dall-E2 will handle all of that poignant imagery

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
actually it's good when one company owns all the media institutions and intellectual property. even better when they don't give a poo poo about them and slowly/quickly destroy them. maximum efficiency.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Edmund Sparkler posted:

That's a lie you were thumbing through to find titties and dongs like everyone else.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
People can get pictures of floppy titties anywhere. They come to natgeo for the atmosphere and the attitude. That's what it's about, okay? It's about fun.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

blatman posted:

Steve Ballmer: Contractors, contractors, contractors, contractors, contractors, contractors! Contractors, contractors, contractors, contractors, contractors, contractors, contractors, contractors. YES!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Sure, we have plenty of freaks who believe women are disgusting because Paul said so.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

There's some research I wanna do about this long gone laboratory that used to make nuclear bomb parts one city over, and I know the local library would have way more resources on it than I've been able to find online (the place barely gets a mention on wikipedia, and the line on wikipedia is wrong based on other documents I found) but also it requires getting in the loving car and driving somewhere and ughhhh

Name the lab/city, I might know it, or know who to ask.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Joey Steel posted:

Name the lab/city, I might know it, or know who to ask.

It's the Pinellas Plant in St. Petersburg, Florida. Wikipedia doesn't even give it the dignity of its own article, it's just mentioned in the notes on an article about the current thing on the property: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young-Rainey_Star_Center

I'd just "update it" as suggested but there actually aren't many good sources online to reference, what I've been able to figure out has been from reading through the enormous docket of the EPA cleanup, because they had to interview people and figure out what processes were being used so they knew how to clean the fuckin' thing up. The only other mention I've found that gets what they did there correct is in this self-published book about nuclear weapons I bought a little while ago (mostly because it was 2000 pages long and contained eye-watering amounts of detail about every declassified aspect of every nuclear weapon America has ever done). Even in that book he only mentions it offhand while talking about the development of the stuff they made there and doesn't go into any more detail, though at least he provides a picture of the actual devices that I've found real helpful. Neither of those are really great wikipedia sources.

The one non-environmental-cleanup-related wikipedia cite goes to the current website of the property, here: http://www.young-raineystarcenter.org/about-us/ which doesn't really say anything other than "it made nuclear weapons components". The WSJ link is just an aggregation of superfund data, and it's also... kinda wrong? Like here:

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/waste-lands/site/364-pinellas-plant-general-electric-co/

quote:

This site handled (or was contaminated by) material for manufacturing radioisotope-powered weapons parts, according to government records.

So "radioisotope-powered" would imply something like an RTG used on spacecraft, but that's not what they did there. From deep in the EPA interviews and from the one book that mentions it, the thing they did was build the electronic neutron initiators, which are basically tiny fusion reactors that generate a burst of neutrons right as the primary reaches critical mass, to ensure it fires at exactly the point when its most dense. In fact, they built every single neutron initiator used in every single American nuclear weapon manufactured over the course of 50 loving years, right up to the 90's.

My ultimate goal would be to write, at the very least some kinda article, maybe even a little book about the place, and then maybe that can be cited on wikipedia. It's very weird to me that the factory in charge of making the tiny fusion reactor that blows up nuclear bombs is so hard to find any information about, and today the most visible thing at the site is... the DMV.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The EPA interviews also contain some real interesting details, like one person claimed that during the demolition they brought in normal-rear end construction crews with normal-rear end jackhammers and only basic construction PPE to jackhammer the loving hot cells, and another claimed that there must be more contamination in a particular area than the cleanup contractor and DoE was reporting, because that area was used for destructive testing of radioactive stuff (as in, they blowed them up there. Some ENI's generate the required high-energy pulse of electricity by literally exploding, so the only way to test them is to blow em' up). There doesn't seem to have been much if any follow-up to either of these, and EPA says the entire superfund site is completely clean of radioactivity now. I first started looking into this because I build radiation detection and measurement devices as a hobby cuz I'm Weird and wanted to see if there were any radioactive contaminated areas around where I live to see if I could measure the remnant radiation, so I still plan to go there with some gear and take samples when I get the chance.

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Jun 30, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edmund Sparkler posted:

The husband is 32 and the daughter is 7. That's America.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

blatman posted:

They effectively only want the name for some stuff on their streaming service. National Geographic will exist as a subsidy of Disney but it won’t actually do anything

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

It's the Pinellas Plant in St. Petersburg, Florida. Wikipedia doesn't even give it the dignity of its own article, it's just mentioned in the notes on an article about the current thing on the property: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young-Rainey_Star_Center

I'd just "update it" as suggested but there actually aren't many good sources online to reference, what I've been able to figure out has been from reading through the enormous docket of the EPA cleanup, because they had to interview people and figure out what processes were being used so they knew how to clean the fuckin' thing up. The only other mention I've found that gets what they did there correct is in this self-published book about nuclear weapons I bought a little while ago (mostly because it was 2000 pages long and contained eye-watering amounts of detail about every declassified aspect of every nuclear weapon America has ever done). Even in that book he only mentions it offhand while talking about the development of the stuff they made there and doesn't go into any more detail, though at least he provides a picture of the actual devices that I've found real helpful. Neither of those are really great wikipedia sources.

The one non-environmental-cleanup-related wikipedia cite goes to the current website of the property, here: http://www.young-raineystarcenter.org/about-us/ which doesn't really say anything other than "it made nuclear weapons components". The WSJ link is just an aggregation of superfund data, and it's also... kinda wrong? Like here:

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/waste-lands/site/364-pinellas-plant-general-electric-co/

So "radioisotope-powered" would imply something like an RTG used on spacecraft, but that's not what they did there. From deep in the EPA interviews and from the one book that mentions it, the thing they did was build the electronic neutron initiators, which are basically tiny fusion reactors that generate a burst of neutrons right as the primary reaches critical mass, to ensure it fires at exactly the point when its most dense. In fact, they built every single neutron initiator used in every single American nuclear weapon manufactured over the course of 50 loving years, right up to the 90's.

My ultimate goal would be to write, at the very least some kinda article, maybe even a little book about the place, and then maybe that can be cited on wikipedia. It's very weird to me that the factory in charge of making the tiny fusion reactor that blows up nuclear bombs is so hard to find any information about, and today the most visible thing at the site is... the DMV.

https://www.srsheritagemuseum.org/

Go here, email them and ask if the SRS curator Melissa Hanson (or anyone else from the Savannah River Archaeological Research Program) would be willing to point you in the right direction, she's the curator of the SRS site, and I think they know where to look for the Pinellas stuff. Mostly works with stuff in clearance land, but I'm sure they know where to find the declassified stuff.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Have you checked the DOE FOIA Reading Room for results from older requests already? A quick search for Pinellas on the OpenNet database got 87 hits, and they have more dbs here

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Edmund Sparkler posted:

did you ever read that article about 2 guys hitchhiking across america? it was amazing and ive never been able to find it again. I can't believe this bullshit

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The husband is 32 and the daughter is 7. That's America.

National Geographic not a Michael bay transformers movie

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"I bring not peace, but a sword" is their favorite flavor text to go with their thin blue line flag, Punisher decal, and "turn the middle east to glass" bumper sticker, ime

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

"I bring not peace, but a sword" is their favorite flavor text to go with their thin blue line flag, Punisher decal, and "turn the middle east to glass" bumper sticker, ime

Ime ite?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Maybe it's projection, but American Christianity just seems like a cynical cash grab. Like say what you will about Islamists, but I can at least be reasonably sure they actually believe and know their own religion. Whereas with Christians, I expect the pastor goes into his office after everyone leaves and laughs at all the loving rubes while counting up the collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The open secret of a lot of American Protestantism is that it started as a carnival act by people who figured it was better than manual labor. The Righteous Gemstones got it right when they made their Jerry Falwell analogue a former pro wrestler.