Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Had dinner the other night at a local restaurant, inside the same building as the oceangate headquarters and build facility. That was a trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
should use an open air port o potty in tribute

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Had dinner the other night at a local restaurant, inside the same building as the oceangate headquarters and build facility. That was a trip.

But a trip you came back from.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Outrail posted:

:trumppop:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'm guessing they don't serve subs at that restaurant

e. unless they do them in a panini press.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Kragger99 posted:

I'm guessing they don't serve subs at that restaurant

e. unless they do them in a panini press.

Deconstructed

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
As usual, reading about one novel disaster leads to reading about more, and on the subject of jank-rear end submarines we have the

H.L. Hunley

An unwitting hero of the Civil War, in her mere 3 voyages she took down 21 confederate traitors and, unfortunately, 5 good Union boys.

She was, of course, a Confederate vessel.

First Voyage
"Payne accidentally stepped on the lever controlling the sub's diving planes as she was running on the surface. This caused Hunley to dive with one of her hatches still open."

Second Voyage
"On 15 October 1863, Hunley failed to surface after a mock attack, killing all eight crewmen." And awarding Horace Hunley a place on the list of Inventors killed by their own invention

Her Weapons Systems

quote:

Hunley was originally intended to attack by using a floating explosive charge with a contact fuse (a torpedo in 19th century terminology) which was towed at the end of a long rope. Hunley was to approach an enemy ship on the surface, then dive under her, and surface again once beyond her. The torpedo would be drawn against the targeted ship and explode. This plan was discarded as dangerous because of the possibility of the tow line fouling Hunley's screw or drifting into the submarine herself.

Instead, a spar torpedo—a copper cylinder containing 135 pounds (61 kilograms) of black powder—was attached to a 22-foot (6.7 m)-long wooden spar, as seen in illustrations made at this time. Mounted on Hunley's bow, the spar was to be used when the submarine was 6 ft (1.8 m) or more below the surface. Previous spar torpedoes had been designed with a barbed point: the spar torpedo would be jammed in the target's side by ramming, and then detonated by a mechanical trigger attached to the submarine by a line, so that as she backed away from her target, the torpedo would set off. However, archaeologists working on Hunley discovered evidence, including a spool of copper wire and components of a battery, that it may actually have been electrically detonated. In the configuration used in the attack on Housatonic, it appears Hunley's torpedo had no barbs, and was designed to explode on contact as it was pushed against an enemy vessel at close range.

The current theory of her final voyage is that she attacked the Housatonic with a torpedo on a stick from less than 20 feet away and instantly killed her own crew with the blast wave.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Outrail posted:

:drat:

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Stockton Rush
Stockton Crush
Stockton Mush
Stockton Flush

The end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The implosion turned them into paste, the heat generated by the sudden increase in pressure likely flash cooked the paste. Are we going to have to deal with a bunch of fish that have had a taste of the finer things and start demanding more?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

The implosion turned them into paste, the heat generated by the sudden increase in pressure likely flash cooked the paste. Are we going to have to deal with a bunch of fish that have had a taste of the finer things and start demanding more?

Look fish have had a hard time of it far to long as far as good cooked food goes, I fully support them in wanting something better.

I mean how would you of liked gowing up eating cold and soggy sandwiches and what not! It would of sucked! No wonder fish are always so grumpy.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

HelleSpud posted:

As , killing all eight crewmen." And awarding Horace Hunley a place on the list of Inventors killed by their own invention

Holy crap, reading this list and I didn't know Mike Hughes eventually died in one of his steam powered rockets! I remember all of his desperate attempts to live stream a launch years ago that kept being called off or interrupted by officials, all capped off by him begging for donations on FB. Good to know everyone who predicted him becoming a human lawn dart were only off by a few years.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Shoehead posted:

Holy crap, reading this list and I didn't know Mike Hughes eventually died in one of his steam powered rockets! I remember all of his desperate attempts to live stream a launch years ago that kept being called off or interrupted by officials, all capped off by him begging for donations on FB. Good to know everyone who predicted him becoming a human lawn dart were only off by a few years.

He died while Discovery+ was filming a documentary he and his team were in. Head's up: the trailer starts with the launch that killed him: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10715506/

The crazy rocket guy in my neighborhood and his son were also in the documentary. Here he is riding one of his jet carts down the road at 83 last summer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuSj4l3SL_U
I originally found out about him because Spanish Colonials are really loving weird in Minnesota, the guy has giant rockets in his lawn, and the city lets him get away with hanging a fake Rocket Man Rd street sign on a city owned pole.
Take the house tour! Dude still has a lot of cool rockets and rocket vehicles on display he's built over the years and displays from his time working in the stunt industry.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...yp898?entry=ttu
The "Go Fast" rocket in the second picture was the first amateur rocket to hit space.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Cojawfee posted:

drat so that's 5 hosed hotdog men in the ocean and one in Russia all in one week.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
This whole thing made me read “Sphere” again so thanks, dead billionaires!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MisterOblivious posted:

He died while Discovery+ was filming a documentary he and his team were in. Head's up: the trailer starts with the launch that killed him: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10715506/

The crazy rocket guy in my neighborhood and his son were also in the documentary. Here he is riding one of his jet carts down the road at 83 last summer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuSj4l3SL_U
I originally found out about him because Spanish Colonials are really loving weird in Minnesota, the guy has giant rockets in his lawn, and the city lets him get away with hanging a fake Rocket Man Rd street sign on a city owned pole.
Take the house tour! Dude still has a lot of cool rockets and rocket vehicles on display he's built over the years and displays from his time working in the stunt industry.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...yp898?entry=ttu
The "Go Fast" rocket in the second picture was the first amateur rocket to hit space.

I'm probably going to be in Minneapolis sometime this year visiting my SO, perhaps we should pop over and see the rocket house.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

Humans have eaten fishsticks for ages. I suppose turnabout is fair play here.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
We need to start lobbying for Ice Poseidon to go on one of these deep-sea subs

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Alexander Hamilton posted:

This whole thing made me read “Sphere” again so thanks, dead billionaires!

Is it better than the movie? I remember being at first intrigued and in the end tremendously bored by the film.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Apollodorus posted:

Is it better than the movie? I remember being at first intrigued and in the end tremendously bored by the film.

but it was a Sphere??? Don't you see? Pressure resistant!

honestly, I only remember the golden sphere and not much else.

Wasn't it like Event Horizon - lite, or something?

e- oh and RIP 19 year son that got bullied into going into the deep. That sucks, man.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

blight rhino posted:

but it was a Sphere??? Don't you see? Pressure resistant!

honestly, I only remember the golden sphere and not much else.

e- oh and RIP 19 year son that got bullied into going into the deep. That sucks, man.

Yeah, on the one hand, it was dumb for his dad to pressure him into it, but people dragging their kids into stupid situations is pretty common and it's not fair to expect a billionaire to be any less stupid than anyone else.

Big money just means bigger mistakes.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

The thing that I remember most about it is that I've never seen, before or since, as big and acclaimed an actor more blatantly phone a performance in. Dustin Hoffman literally looks like he's a second away from rolling his eyes and saying, "gently caress this is stupid," and walking off the set for most of that movie.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Sphere taught me how to forget, sort of like how that is the only part of the movie I really remember.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The thing that I remember most about it is that I've never seen, before or since, as big and acclaimed an actor more blatantly phone a performance in. Dustin Hoffman literally looks like he's a second away from rolling his eyes and saying, "gently caress this is stupid," and walking off the set for most of that movie.

Well, I mean, isn't that his character? He's a psychologist and everyone is acting like an idiot and insane stuff is happening.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

blight rhino posted:

it did come out the same month or so as event horizon. i remember because i saw event horizon at age 12 and was scared shitless, like literally covering my eyes with my hands like i've never done in a movie before or since, because the cinema had gotten the two movies confused and advertised event horizon as PG-13

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Holy poo poo LOL at going into Event Horizon thinking it’s going to be a PG-13 space movie, like First Contact or The Fifth Element.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Honestly that sounds like the best way to see it. Can just imagine what it would of been like when they found that video log at the start.

lol.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
that was the exact reason we went to it, remember this was the PG-13 space movie era!

yeah it was a rough week or two after that.

my cousin and I saw it together while on vacation. we were sleeping on a cot in this rented garage thing and after seeing event horizon we decided a corner of the tiny room we were staying in was evil and neither of us would sleep too close to that corner. that movie hosed us up good.

weirdly the creepy dude who owned the house whose garage we were renting was one of like 2 other people in the theater and chatted awkwardly to us afterwards, I think we couldn't even speak.

that's seriously the only time I've ever seriously been scared by a movie, and yeah looking back now, that's pretty much the ideal way to do it if you want to utterly scare someone at a movie - show event horizon to a pre-teen with no context or expectation, ideally at the kailua cinema in enchanted lake

we did spend years after that making jokes like "we won't need shave ice where we're going" etc.

and yes the video log scenes were the "I think I need to cover my eyes" moments for me, of course.

sorry for the derail I'm just glad that people recognize even 25 years later how loving crazy it was to let 12 year olds in to see that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I saw Gremlins on the big screen when I was a kid and had terrors about it for years.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

As a treat my dad took me to see Watership Down at the cinema, the 70's version, for my 7th Birthday. :ohdear:

Because somehow it was orginally classified as 'U' in the Uk.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Deptfordx posted:

As a treat my dad took me to see Watership Down at the cinema, the 70's version, for my 7th Birthday. :ohdear:

If you're a bunny rabbit it does teach you good survival tactics.

Very educational.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

blight rhino posted:

He didn't get bullied into going. He pressured his parents to let him go instead of his mom. He wanted to set a Rubik's cube record at the bottom of the ocean. He probably has the record for quickest disassembly. The being forced to go thing was made up by his aunt.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

When the first video rental place opened up in our town 4-year old me was subjected to a Land Before Time / Robocop double-header

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Land Before Time is just a lovely Robocop reboot if you think about it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Outrail posted:

You see the problem there is they didn't get Paul Verhoeven to direct it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Outrail posted:

I'll never forget my 7 year old self's reaction to seeing Littlefoot shoot that guy in the dick.

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

Outrail posted:

I saw Gremlins on the big screen when I was a kid and had terrors about it for years.

When I was in 2nd grade my mom had me choose between Gremlins or Neverending Story for my birthday movie. Gremlins was really heavily marketed to kids at the time so I picked it. I vividly remember hiding my face in mom's shoulder and regretting my choice. Joke was on me though, when we went back a few weeks later to see Neverending Story I got to be traumatized all over again when Artax died.

Deptfordx posted:

Because somehow it was orginally classified as 'U' in the Uk.

My elementary school rented the Watership Down VHS and showed it to the entire 3rd grade as a movie day treat. It's a classic book AND a cartoon, what could go wrong? :v:

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
At least it wasn't Plague Dogs

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

Joke was on me though, when we went back a few weeks later to see Neverending Story I got to be traumatized all over again when Artax died.

We have spoilers for a reason :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Was all the buzz around Neverending Story entirely because of the big tiddy statues? I never saw it until a few years ago and it suuuucked, the moral of the story was literally "Escapism solves all your problems" and it feels like an infomercial for MMORPGs that was accidentally sent back in time