Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/tsukihimates/status/1670114087374815232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

Thanks for the hot info's yall

I just remember the very first manga gamer release changed literally all the music which is kind of strange because I thought the question arcs were already using royalty free tracks, lol

And then there are some who swear by the MG soundtrack. It's all a bit confusing you know? I guess this is the problem with different versions of higurashi having been ported to every game console known to man
The original Higurashi music had some condition where you could only use it for indie projects I think.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Not sure exactly how Visual Novel-y it counts as, but just tried out the demo for The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood and I liked the art and the writing quite a bit. Loved the tarot card creator system and the chance to do fortunetelling with a deck comprised entirely of silly little guys.

It's from the same team that did The Red Strings Club, if you've played that one.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Stray Gods has a nextfest demo. Even though its calling itself a Musical RPG it really is more of a visual novel than anything. I dunno, I might play the full game. I don't like the music, but the dynamic song stuff does seem pretty cool despite that. And I dig the Sandman/Phonogram vibe in general. Also its homo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SexyBlindfold posted:

Not sure exactly how Visual Novel-y it counts as, but just tried out the demo for The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood and I liked the art and the writing quite a bit. Loved the tarot card creator system and the chance to do fortunetelling with a deck comprised entirely of silly little guys.

It's from the same team that did The Red Strings Club, if you've played that one.

oh man i was excited for this after seeing it at not-E3 and after playing the demo this is hands down my favorite thing at steam next fest i played (and will likely be at the end)

don't sleep on this demo people!!! its cool!! super cool!!!

also share the cards you made once you play it

I'm so hype for this now, i want it to come out soon please!!!!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Still trying to wrap my head around how they plan to write for this, considering the concept.

Anyway, here's my deck. Got the same Air card, since you only have a handful of possible combinations for the first one.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SexyBlindfold posted:

Still trying to wrap my head around how they plan to write for this, considering the concept.

Its interesting because even once you realize "oh some cards are going to overlap and have same dialogue choices" you are still looking at a TON of different variations and stuff.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Yeah, like it seems that mechanically the cards do boil down to what 'meanings' they have, and the 'meanings' will serve as tags to activate certain dialog choices, and not only will several cards share the same meanings but dialog choices can be activated by any of a number of meanings, so depending on how much variation you want to give, it's perfectly possible that the max number of available dialog choices in any given reading is, like, three, but that's still a LOT of writing. I'm guessing they'll compensate by the dialog that happens within the reading not actually having any impact in the branching of the story otherwise, and the "choices matter"-ing will be done in more conventional conversation options.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
https://twitter.com/Uminetta_/status/1671955525586616321

For those who were asking about the stageplay.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this is an epic win for gamers and mystery lovers! wowie!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Another day, another demo for a not-quite-a-VN-but-close-enough from a small european studio where you use cards for fortune telling. This one seems a lot more casual than Cosmic Wheel, feels like kind of a mix between Coffee Talk in tone and setting and something like Regency Solitaire in gameplay. I like the bit about having to interpret the ~spirit of the cards~ after each game, even if the instances you get from it in the demo seem a bit railroady. It feels like a good way to give an illusion of agency to an otherwise linear gameplay, though the devs say there will be significant branching.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Oh I forgot to post about it, but Attorney of the Arcane released yesterday https://store.steampowered.com/app/1590230/Tyrion_Cuthbert_Attorney_of_the_Arcane/

Basically, its Ace Attorney but with a D&D-style magic system. Like, here is a case 1 spell example (from the demo way back, I think its slightly different now but pretty close):

I just finished the second case. So far my thoughts, mainly going from positive to negative:
  • The soundtrack is excellent. Its composed by InsaneInTheRain and Shady Cicada, and also several musicans as performers as well.
  • Art is pretty high quality
  • There are quite a few mechanics the game introduces beyond the standard AA fare, and most of them stick pretty well. They also make investigation phases a lot more fun, and they even see some use in trial. Not going to completely break down the mechanics right now, but I like them
  • Case 1 is a case 1, but case 2 is pretty solid mystery-writing-wise
  • Characterization is generally solid, but feels like it doesn't give enough room for characters to breath. By this, I mean things like having the characters interact in a way beyond the plot, but instead just having their characters bounce off each other. There is a balance of course, Ace Attorney's biggest flaw is arguably that it feels like it drags at times because the characters being silly makes investigations take a billion years, but overall it feels like Attorney of the Arcane takes things too far in the other direction. That being said, case 2 was much better in this regard than case 1. Also, I believe the creator made the cases mostly in order, so hopefully this is a sign of them growing in that department.
  • The "presenting the exact right evidence" thing is better than the big AA fan games, but worse than the main AA games IMO
  • Related, but some evidence really should be consolidated into 1. In case 2, there is even 2 pieces of evidence with almost the same name even, with 1 just having slightly less info basically lol
  • Worst thing so far is there are quite a few bugs with evidence that don't display properly (when viewing for more detail). There has been 1 in each case so far. First case is plot relevant but not impossible to figure out logically, and case 2 one doesn't matter at all. Still annoying though.

Overall, I've had fun so far, and I would recommend it to AA fans, with the caveat that the characterization is maybe like 10% AA in case 1, and up to 20-25% in case 2 (in terms of letting the characters breath), so don't go in expecting that.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 25, 2023

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Hello visual novel thread. How about that "Ciconia: When they cry. Phase 2" release huh?

I was just curious because I wanted to get more into reading on the go - many of the things I want to read are visual novels - whether there was an ideal format for reading visual novels while out and about. For example: on car rides or trains, on the patio.

I was thinking a surface (if those still exist) or a steam deck may be the best route. Has anyone put more thought in than me?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Presumably he’s too busy writing that Silent Hill game?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

CottonWolf posted:

Presumably he’s too busy writing that Silent Hill game?
Yes, and he was busy with other stuff before that and will be busy with other stuff afterwards too. Safest just to treat Ciconia as a 1 parter.

New thing by Danganronpa author releasing today on switch. Dont know anything about it but art style looks similar.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Toalpaz posted:

Hello visual novel thread. How about that "Ciconia: When they cry. Phase 2" release huh?

I was just curious because I wanted to get more into reading on the go - many of the things I want to read are visual novels - whether there was an ideal format for reading visual novels while out and about. For example: on car rides or trains, on the patio.

I was thinking a surface (if those still exist) or a steam deck may be the best route. Has anyone put more thought in than me?

I haven't put a lot of thought into this, but my guess is that it would be easier to get old mid 2000's VNs to work on a Surface than a Steam Deck, but newer things should work on either with the compatibility layer, but who knows.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

MegaZeroX posted:

I haven't put a lot of thought into this, but my guess is that it would be easier to get old mid 2000's VNs to work on a Surface than a Steam Deck, but newer things should work on either with the compatibility layer, but who knows.

It's steam deck all the way. Mine is basically on visual novels 24/7.

The really beautiful thing about steam deck / steam OS is the ability to hit the sleep button at any time and resume VNs with a single power button tap, right back into the action, no loading, no waiting, it's perfect for reading VNs. There's some quirks in some games, you'll sometimes get some busted looping or accelerated audio that you have to reboot the game to fix, but like 90% of the time it works with zero problems.

There are definitely some compatibility wrinkles getting some older stuff to work, but liberal use of protontricks or lutris + winetricks has gotten so much weird vn stuff working for me. Oh, and the FSR scaling is an absolute boon for old games in funny resolutions - scaling them up to the deck's weirdo screen res using FSR is great and produces very little artefacting on the kinds of static / low movement graphics you get from most VNs.

Old-rear end video codecs are often the biggest hurdle, especially things using WMV through some knackered old DLL that has partial support on deck - often a few tweaks with winetricks will get stuff working, though I wasn't successful with every game I tried, there were more hits than misses.

You can usually find tips and tricks for even the obscurest of VNs on either protondb.com or install scripts on lutris.net.

I've managed to get all manner of weird and obscure things running on mine, often times things published on steam Just Work (quite frequently even the ones marked as Incompatible, a lot of the times they get that badge because a video intro that has no plot doesn't work, but the rest of the game does).

Even getting things working by installing steam versions and then running windows exe "unrated" patches via protontricks is fairly easy once you've done it a couple times. Or just pulling shonky old windows installers of obscure games off of mangagamer or jastusa is not difficult as long as you slap them behind Lutris which sets up all the wine folders for you.

Here's a list of VNs I completed by year so you can see the impact steam deck has had on my VN consumption

* 2019: 5
* 2020: 4
* 2021: 5
* 2022: 18
* 2023: 16

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Invader Zim owns

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Oh I just realized I probably should post my expanded thoughts on Attorney of the Arcane here (already did in the AA thread)

quote:

Okay, I just finished Attorney of the Arcane, and also can say I really enjoyed the experience. For me, the game felt as it improved case by case, and IIRC from the indiegogo, it was basically written in order, so I think a large part was Stephen Charles (primary writer and dev in general) just getting better as he goes.

Most of my earlier thoughts (after finishing case 2) stand, but:

1) The character writing takes a sharp upturn starting in case 3, IMO. I laughed out loud several times in that case, and in general the game became better about characters joking around and such.

2) Case 4/5 gives the game a strong identity that more clearly separates from living in AA's shadow. (major spoilers) Dealing with demon contracts, having case 5 courtroom, and really just so much of those two cases really leave a strong impression.

I'm definitely down for a seemingly possible sequel, particularly if the author leans into what makes 4 and 5 special.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

No Wave posted:

Yes, and he was busy with other stuff before that and will be busy with other stuff afterwards too. Safest just to treat Ciconia as a 1 parter.

New thing by Danganronpa author releasing today on switch. Dont know anything about it but art style looks similar.

He basically stated at one point that Coronavirus completely hosed up the story he was going for and it doesn't really work anymore.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If anything it suddenly became a lot more relevant!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I have a four day weekend and decided to binge Zero Time Dilemma, and unfortunately I didn't come away with a hot take or anything. Some parts were very cool Phi being Sigma's daughter was an awesome twist, and some parts were very stupid, and that combination basically makes it a solid Zero Escape game imo. I definitely wouldn't rate it as highly as Virtue's Last Reward, but other than maybe not loving the fragment structure, I don't really get why it was popular to hate for a while. I guess knowing a lot of people really didn't like it probably kept my expectations lower than a lot of people had when it came out though, so maybe that helped. Anyway, it was fun enough for me, and I'm still looking forward to playing Remember/Ever at some point, and the Somnium games.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I have a four day weekend and decided to binge Zero Time Dilemma, and unfortunately I didn't come away with a hot take or anything. Some parts were very cool Phi being Sigma's daughter was an awesome twist, and some parts were very stupid, and that combination basically makes it a solid Zero Escape game imo. I definitely wouldn't rate it as highly as Virtue's Last Reward, but other than maybe not loving the fragment structure, I don't really get why it was popular to hate for a while. I guess knowing a lot of people really didn't like it probably kept my expectations lower than a lot of people had when it came out though, so maybe that helped. Anyway, it was fun enough for me, and I'm still looking forward to playing Remember/Ever at some point, and the Somnium games.

I liked ZTD overall. (I just finished a replay of it a few weeks ago.) But there's a lot of stuff it just does worse than VLR. The final twist a little too out of left field. The fragment format makes it frustrating to figure out which timeline you're in until you get access to the connected flow chart. The characterization of Junpei soured a lot of people considering the game takes place only a year after 999. Mira and Eric's whole deal was just kind of uninteresting. And the overall presentation is kind of janky. The voice acting sucks because they had to make it match the doofy looking cutscenes. And its a good 10 hours shorter than VLR.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

I liked ZTD overall. (I just finished a replay of it a few weeks ago.) But there's a lot of stuff it just does worse than VLR. The final twist a little too out of left field. The fragment format makes it frustrating to figure out which timeline you're in until you get access to the connected flow chart. The characterization of Junpei soured a lot of people considering the game takes place only a year after 999. Mira and Eric's whole deal was just kind of uninteresting. And the overall presentation is kind of janky. The voice acting sucks because they had to make it match the doofy looking cutscenes. And its a good 10 hours shorter than VLR.

I don't really disagree with any of that, though Eric going full nice guy so you sympathize with Mira as she's killing him before it turns out she's always been way way worse was pretty funny, but yeah overall I still thought it was pretty decent. Honestly I think being considerably shorter than VLR worked in its favor, because a longer version of this game almost definitely would have overstayed its welcome, but as it was it felt kind of nice to be able to knock it out relatively quickly. But tbf I can see why people who paid full price at release might feel a bit ripped off.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Yeah I do think the hate of ZTD is a little overstated. Its definitely the worst Zero Escape, but I still rather to have played it than not play it. I'm not going to harp on it since I feel like I already say that a lot here, but welcome to the unpopular opinion club Dr Kool-AIDS

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd honestly consider 999 lesser than ZTD. It doesn't have the novelty, especially for most the west, or the same level of cohesion, but goddamn was it frustrating running through the puzzles over and over trying to find the secret ending in 999. The retroactive 999, that exists ensconced in the film of nostalgia and supported on the back of VLR'ian connection rates higher in the mind than the actual game in itself.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

What the gently caress

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

I'd honestly consider 999 lesser than ZTD. It doesn't have the novelty, especially for most the west, or the same level of cohesion, but goddamn was it frustrating running through the puzzles over and over trying to find the secret ending in 999. The retroactive 999, that exists ensconced in the film of nostalgia and supported on the back of VLR'ian connection rates higher in the mind than the actual game in itself.

You have some hosed up opinions but this is beyond the pale.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gaius Marius posted:

:dafuq:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i haven't done ZTD but I do think VLR is a better game than 999 which I only think got good in the last third when it finally started hitting some emotional beats while VLR has just this better sense of atmosphere and chaos throughout. the good santa and bad santa monologue is great tho.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think the issue they are taking is with VLR over 999, which I think is consensus, but rather of ZTD over 999. What Snooze says is correct however, 999 is unequally balanced on its ending extremities while the vast majority of it is rather boring tbh. ZTD keeps a more equalized, if not totally fragmentary and insane pacing in it's interest and "fun" that appeals to me far more heavily than 999. Not to say 999 is particularly bad, but I'd put it closer to Ever 17 in style, relying to heavily on the climactic twist to erase the previous boredom felt, the way the media thinks of Shyamalan's films for example, rather than keeping a line of interest throughout.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i knew that, its called taking part in the conversation

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

999 is way more consistently interesting than ever17

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I actually think ZTD has better characterization than 999. I was surprised on a replay how much I liked the characters.

But I also think he’s just gotten better over time writing characters. Nirvana Initiative has a really strong cast IMO.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Gaius Marius posted:

tbh i think a lot of this frustration also stems from the og DS version, which has a lot of mechanical frustrations since it was a goddamn DS game :v: The remake for the nonary games package deal actually gave it a loving flowchart which helped considerably with the weird mechanical bullshit. i really like 999 and i do think its, technically, better than ZTD, but i think a lot of it has also aged clunkily and VLR is still the best of the trilogy.

I do hope we get either another one or something not AI from Uchi eventually though - dont get me wrong i love AI but its not really the same kind of thing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Absolutely, I'd have a far more positive opinion on it if I hadn't had to run the game so many times, and on such a small system.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The ds was epic

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Meowywitch posted:

The ds was epic

when I accidentally solved a puzzle in another code by closing my DS to take a breather, that ruled

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I also like ZTD more than 999, but honestly I didn't really love 999 that much to start with. Like it had some cool parts, but overall it felt pretty slow (even just in terms of controls), and definitely sometimes tedious. I'm not a huge Danganronpa fan, but I do think playing DR1 and 2 before 999 kind of made 999 feel a bit worse by comparison, while VLR was improved enough (if perhaps a bit padded) that I just straight up devoured it and think it's easily the best game in either series. I never got very far in DR3, so unfortunately i can't compare the controversial final installments yet, but I can say that I never really thought 'god I wish this was more like Danganronpa' at any point in playing ZTD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stexils posted:

999 is way more consistently interesting than ever17

999 only really has the one big twist, though, and I think relies pretty heavily on its impact. And I didn't really vibe with a lot of the game leading up to that point. VLR is probably my favorite of the trilogy, even though it introduces a bunch of mysteries that are never resolved in ZTD.

Though if I'm being honest, the soundtrack is probably 50% of why I prefer Ever17. But I also think it executes its main twist well while having a number of other pretty good ones. The only thing that sorta fell flat with me was whatever sorta romance-ish thing it was trying to do with Blick Winkel and Coco. But the other characters were all pretty great (Sora excepted, though I didn't exactly dislike her), especially for such an early VN. You (both of them) is one of my favorites, mainly because of how she's (in both her characters) basically doing her own thing, with the protagonist not being particularly important to her goals. It was also pretty unique, especially for an earlier/older VN, for just having a single romance for each protagonist (excepting the Sora route stuff). It helps to keep the story more coherent overall.

I recommend anyone who hasn't played it to do so, since it's probably one of the most satisfying VNs I've read. I usually have some misgivings at the end of VNs (if I can finish them at all), but Ever17 sticks the landing very well.