Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oddly when they killed Roe last year it wasn’t the final week of the term

The public leak of the decision probably influenced the release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So the more I'm reading about Moore v. Harper, the more interesting it gets. Apparently a non partisian map has been stayed from implimentation while they wait for the USSC decision. Now that it's out does that mean NC is going to get redistricted again in a neutral manner? Could this be the end of the Republican House?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oddly when they killed Roe last year it wasn’t the final week of the term

I imagine most of them expected the "silent majority" of conservative Americans to be thrilled with the decision.

The Democrats' collective shrug at the leak did nothing to suggest any real repercussions.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cimber posted:

So the more I'm reading about Moore v. Harper, the more interesting it gets. Apparently a non partisian map has been stayed from implimentation while they wait for the USSC decision. Now that it's out does that mean NC is going to get redistricted again in a neutral manner? Could this be the end of the Republican House?

It means it gets redistricted in a more neutral manner. It's probably not going to produce a gain of more than one blue seat, but considering the margins in the House that could be significant

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

It means it gets redistricted in a more neutral manner. It's probably not going to produce a gain of more than one blue seat, but considering the margins in the House that could be significant

But the previous election, held under the now found unconstitutional map, stands, I assume?

Seems like they held off on making a decision long enough to swing both the election and the court in the state towards the result they wanted anyway while still being able to wag a finger and say 'now don't do that again!'

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Oracle posted:

But the previous election, held under the now found unconstitutional map, stands, I assume?

Seems like they held off on making a decision long enough to swing both the election and the court in the state towards the result they wanted anyway while still being able to wag a finger and say 'now don't do that again!'

I don't see how they could reverse the prior election and no way in hell we want that sort of thing to happen. Take the lump for 2 years with a republican house and watch them eat themselves alive, then hope in 2024 the non crazies take over congress again.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
There are no penumbra of a right to actual democracy in the Constitution and it's even the opposite of say, gun control, where you can find historical precedent for the liberal opinion

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Oracle posted:

Yes, none of these cases ever involve invalidating previous elections, and yes, that is definitely an abusable loophole.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

eSports Chaebol posted:

There are no penumbra of a right to actual democracy in the Constitution and it's even the opposite of say, gun control, where you can find historical precedent for the liberal opinion

Article IV guarantees a republican form of government. What do you mean by "actual democracy" exactly?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Craig K posted:

6-3, but thomas's dissent was "why is this even here it's moot as hell", so 7-2 against ISL theory, i guess

I don't know what could possibly possess you to think Thomas was against ISL. His dissent makes it clear he's fully on board with the new majority of the NC supreme court ruling in favor of ISL (the NC supreme court is political as gently caress and going to kill any momentum we had in clawing our way out of being a red state shithole).

Cimber posted:

Well, the case was made moot because the NCSC said "Oh, we don't actually have the right to review this stuff." The USSC said "Yeah actually, you do have the right, don't listen to those legislators talking out their asses."

It's meaningless in this case because when it goes back to the NCSC the Republicans on it are going to go "of course our minority party rigging elections to remain a majority is fine, gently caress You."

And we can't get a federal resolution because of the prior "lmao no the federal courts can't hear Gerrymandering cases" ruling from Roberts and co. We have no recourse in NC other than to maybe, hopefully get the NCSC majority back in the next elections but the GOP now has a supermajority in the legislature due to a shithead Congresswoman changing parties (in a district she is 100% going to lose reelection in as a Republican, assuming she survives the GOP primaries) if/when they ram through more voter suppression bills it's going to further tilt the scales.

Oracle posted:

Yes, this has been a long-standing tactic for Republicans. See also: Ohio republicans repeatedly passing Unconstitutional maps and then just using those maps for elections because oh look the clock ran out.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Fuschia tude posted:

Article IV guarantees a republican form of government. What do you mean by "actual democracy" exactly?

I mean there’s no grounds to challenge that a duly-elected official does not hold office because the election was improper or undemocratic. Suppose for example that a number of constituents without whom the winner would have lost were coerced into voting for them—I don’t see how there could be any Constitutional post facto remedy (other than using existing means to remove them from office obviously).

e: that’s a silly example. What happens in real life is coercing people into not voting but the legal argument is the same

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Cimber posted:

I believe North Carolina's demographics aren't quite Dem-friendly enough for an immediate flip. I'm sure gerrymandering has helped, but a lot of the population lives in the rural areas and those rural districts have continuously helped the GOP stay one step ahead.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

eSports Chaebol posted:

I mean there’s no grounds to challenge that a duly-elected official does not hold office because the election was improper or undemocratic. Suppose for example that a number of constituents without whom the winner would have lost were coerced into voting for them—I don’t see how there could be any Constitutional post facto remedy (other than using existing means to remove them from office obviously).

e: that’s a silly example. What happens in real life is coercing people into not voting but the legal argument is the same

I mean, you can challenge that various aspects of an election were wrong or mishandled or corrupt in some way at the state level. That's exactly what Trump did! And then got smacked down by every single judge, even the ones he'd appointed. But that wasn't because courts aren't the venue to resolve this argument, that was because his arguments were all dogshit and unsupported by evidence.

Federal courts are not going to step in to kick someone out of office or require a do-over election, no. That's largely because elections are handled at the state, not the federal, level. And they're particularly not going to intervene to decide who is or can be a member of Congress, because the Constitution explicitly grants that exclusive power to each chamber of Congress to gatekeep its own membership.

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 27, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Eric Cantonese posted:

I believe North Carolina's demographics aren't quite Dem-friendly enough for an immediate flip. I'm sure gerrymandering has helped, but a lot of the population lives in the rural areas and those rural districts have continuously helped the GOP stay one step ahead.

If North Carolina hadn't suffered a long run of extensive GOP-lead voter suppression and Gerrymandering the legislature would be pretty drat close to a split and occasionally Dem controlled. Instead it has a Republican super majority because it's possibly the most gerrymandered state in the country (Wisconsin might be worse).

There's currently zero paths to getting NC properly redistricted. Even if the NCSC flips back to a Dem majority, any ruling that forces a new map is just going to be ignored by the GOP legislature or they'll do like the Ohio GOP and keep passing gerrymandered maps that can't be used and run out the clock until the next election that they reclaim the NCSC so that they can reverse all the rulings they don't like (which is what they did after the 2022 elections).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1674281715286589442

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
You can sue a corporation anywhere they have an established presence instead of having to pry them out of their big fluffy office drop box in Delaware? What the hell is happening to this court? They keep doing the right things. I'm confused.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/22pdf/21-1168_f2ah.pdf

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

killer_robot posted:

You can sue a corporation anywhere they have an established presence instead of having to pry them out of their big fluffy office drop box in Delaware? What the hell is happening to this court? They keep doing the right things. I'm confused.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/22pdf/21-1168_f2ah.pdf

Gorsuch was convinced it was the originalist interpretation

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/06/neil-gorsuch-supreme-court-originalism-corporations-lose.html

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
You can already sue in a state if you can argue the conduct you’re suing about happened there.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Yep. This was about “do state statutes requiring corporations to consent to lawsuit jurisdiction in that state in order to operate there violate the constitution?” In this case, the conduct didn’t happen in PA but the lawsuit was brought there on the basis of such a statute (likely because PA has more favorable laws for this type of suit than other options, though I don’t know that for sure.)

Nothing in it says that a state *has* to do that, though most do.

(Federal civil lawsuits already were permissible against a corporation in this way.)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Gorsuch, Thomas, Alito, Sotomayor, Jackson is not the lineup I expected for a ruling against a corporation.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Doesn't that invite venue shopping though? What if someone who lives in say, Maine wants to sue a 'woke' company and decides to sue them in a very friendly district like North East Texas where the whole abortion pill thing went down?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Cimber posted:

Doesn't that invite venue shopping though? What if someone who lives in say, Maine wants to sue a 'woke' company and decides to sue them in a very friendly district like North East Texas where the whole abortion pill thing went down?

He would have needed to live in texas I think at some point in his involvement. Gentleman worked for Norfolk Southern, moved to pennslyvania for sometime while employed with them,

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Affirmative action ended at universities. Welp.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

huzzah! racism's officially been canceled!

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

huzzah! racism's officially been canceled!

don't be silly it was already cancelled in shelby county v holder

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

AtomikKrab posted:

He would have needed to live in texas I think at some point in his involvement. Gentleman worked for Norfolk Southern, moved to pennslyvania for sometime while employed with them,

Oh, I thought the ruling meant that anyone could sue a corp anywhere the corp had a business dealing. So the plaintiff would still need to live in the district they file in and not in some other friendlier district?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Craig K posted:

don't be silly it was already cancelled in shelby county v holder
Oh, you're right, mb.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Cimber posted:

That company would have to do business in that state in a manner that requires jurisdictional consent i.e. more than just normal interstate commerce, typical being physically present at an endpoint of that kind of transaction.

What would you even sue over though? Lawsuits are very expensive and any cause of action you choose is likely going to be considered spurious.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Cimber posted:

Yeah I haven’t read the opinion. But I wouldn’t be shocked if the ultimate result is that other states start to pass laws like the one PA has and the whole thing becomes a forum shopping extravaganza. Kagan in dissent is almost always a bad sign.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Cimber posted:

Only works if the company has sufficient or relevant operations in Texas (assuming Texas has a consent to jurisdiction statute similar to PAs, which it probably does.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

As expected, affirmative action just got killed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That was inevitable when they got a conservative majority back. It lasted a few extra years because Scalia died the last time they heard an AA case.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
What did they decide with Groff? I'm having a hard time finding the opinion.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

azflyboy posted:

unanimously vacating and remanding the lower court's ruling 9-0, so in favor of the worker if i am reading this correctly

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is the most disturbing part of this ruling IMO

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1674419888511938563?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

azflyboy posted:

From the scotusblog live feed:

quote:

The decision is unanimous. Sotomayor has a concurring opinion, joined by Jackson. The Third Circuit's decision is vacated and remanded.

(I don't know what that actually means for the case)

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Love the one opinion that’s like “Lived experiences as minority about how race has impacted them are okay but race can not be a factor”

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

haveblue posted:

From the scotusblog live feed:

(I don't know what that actually means for the case)

Thanks!

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
basically it's asking, when a worker wants accomodation for religious stuff (in groffs case, being an evangelical christian and not wanting to work on sunday), how far the accomodations have to go before its an "undue hardship" on the company. before this it was "any cost at all" and now it's "substantially increased costs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Love the one opinion that’s like “Lived experiences as minority about how race has impacted them are okay but race can not be a factor”

I guess that means the admitter is allowed to think about race but no one is allowed to create a written policy codifying guidelines for consideration of race

I'm sure this will not be a problem because at no point in American history did relying on a bunch of unwritten rules plus the personal judgement of the evaluator ever lead to widespread racial discrimination