Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Might be a touch over your budget, but Balvennie, Glendronach, or Glen Garioch would be good options.

Highland Park has a very distinct smoke/peat note. Definitely try before you buy a whole bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Irish Whiskey is Scotch-adjacent (but definitely not like bourbon) - Redbreast 12 and especially Redbreast 12 Cask Strength are very good Irish whiskeys that I'd recommend if you're willing to hop across the Irish Sea.

Grassy, oily, lots of apple and grape notes, and a little bit of woody/grainy funk.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I've had success converting bourbon fans with sherry-heavy scotch. How much is Aberlour 12 or Springbank 10 near you?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Any of the Balvenie bottles are good, with a variety of price points. Balvenie is what got my dad from “I tried JW Red straight in 1987 and hate all Scotch” to “what bottle are we trying out this month?” with a delightful fork into bourbon to boot.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
I'll have to look at the prices the next time I go out because the stores around here are woefully behind the times in terms of online shopping, but thanks for all the suggestions. I've also seen Auchentoshan 12 mentioned in a couple articles as a good scotch for bourbon drinkers, does anyone have any experience with it?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ElectricRelaxation posted:

I'll have to look at the prices the next time I go out because the stores around here are woefully behind the times in terms of online shopping, but thanks for all the suggestions. I've also seen Auchentoshan 12 mentioned in a couple articles as a good scotch for bourbon drinkers, does anyone have any experience with it?

I've had it. It was okay with a weird finish. It probably would have been better at a higher proof but :shrug:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

JohnCompany posted:

I've had success converting bourbon fans with sherry-heavy scotch. How much is Aberlour 12 or Springbank 10 near you?

Macallan is the gorilla for a reason.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ElectricRelaxation posted:

I'm mostly a bourbon drinker with limited scotch experience, so I wanted to give scotch another try but I'm not sure where to start. I do know I'm not a fan of super smoky/peaty scotches (I tried the Nick Offerman Lagavulin once and didn't really like it) and I did a little research this time around so I figure Islay scotches are probably not my thing, but I tried Glenlivet 12 and it was almost too much in the opposite direction and seemed a little thin. I've read a bit about Glenmorangie 10 and Johnny Walker Black being good for beginners, but does anyone have any other suggestions for mostly inexpensive scotches (maybe $40-60 while I'm still learning my preferences) that might be a little more full-bodied than the Glenlivet? Thanks!

What kind of bourbon do you like? If you like the punchier, higher proof, high rye mashbill stuff then you should skip a lot of the "first scotch" suggestions (an no offense to anyone, some of the suggestions already given to you) because most of them will probably be too light and thin, like you've experienced already.

I would look for something on the higher proof side. Skip the 40% and 43% stuff and go straight for the 46% and higher stuff. There are exceptions but it's a good rule of thumb. (Macallan is a good example where it smells nice but just falls dead flat on it's face when you drink it.)
I'd be looking for something not too heavily sherried, more bourbon or even virgin oak aged, because you'll find a lot of flavors and aromas that you're familiar with.

My first suggestion would be Arran 10. Beautiful whisky, naturally presented, available, affordable and delicious. I brought a bottle to a work event one time and everyone was raving about it. Even made some new converts who previously didn't like whisky.

Another one would be Kilkerran 12. It's a bit dirtier and ever so slightly smoky, but nothing like Lagavulin or even Highland Park.

Compass box Orchard House is another good one, super fruity (the name is no accident) but it has a little bit of Caol Ila in the mix to give it a hint of smoke. Friendly and light but still flavorful, not thin at all.

Glen Scotia Victoriana is an example of a fantastic high-proof scotch with wonderful rich and fruity flavors from the sherry maturation and the heavily charred american oak in the recipe gives it bourbon-like oak notes.

I could go on but this should get you started.

Then again, if you're more of a say, basil hayden kind of person, then disregard my advice. :v:

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 29, 2023

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I just went to the liquor store to see what scotch I could get in the $40-60 price range and literally all of it was 40%. I walked out with Aberlour 12 which I haven't had in a loooong time but out of the selection in that price range was probably the best.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Hello from Loretto KY. I'm with a group doing a Maker's Mark barrel pick. Anyone have any favorite stave profiles?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

anything heavy with cuvee and the baked american go well with their mashbill imo, it's very caramel/brulee/vanilla.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

JohnCompany posted:

I can confirm it's a legit crossover. My pick is Aberlour Abunadh, it's a huge sherry bomb that drinkers of barrel proof bourbon will love. Aberlour 12 is a good gateway Scotch.

That being said, I'm back on bourbon for mint julep season.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Miles Blundell posted:

Is there a better smoky whiskey than laphroaig quarter cask around the same price? It's my current go-to but I'm curious to try others and it feels bad to buy a whole nother bottle for a bunch of money and have a worse whiskey on my shelf for a couple months until I finish it.

Lagavulin 16 is pretty banging

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

JohnCompany posted:

Springbank 10 is absolutely sublime if you can get hold of it

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i've long contended that the Aberlour 10y was far better than the 12y, but good luck getting that these days. Balvenie used to be my favourite until i got a hold of Tamdhu. Strathisla is quite nice as well

on a sidenote i tried maker's mark recently and while it is very divisive you can recover it to palatable by airing the bottle and then leaving it for a week

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
I had some errands to run this morning so I figured I'd hit up a few of my local stores and see what they had in stock/what the prices were. First place was a store I actually used to work at a couple years ago; since then I've seen their prices steadily rising but I didn't know how bad it had gotten until I went there today. Pretty much everything that people had recommended in the $40-60 range was well, well over that. They have this bizarre sales tactic where they mark up the prices of the basic bottles a ton, and then have the next level of bottles only a few bucks above that, I guess like a movie theater charging you $6 for a small soda but only $.50 more for a large. The worst example was Glenmorangie 10 for $80, and then Glenmorangie 15 for maybe $82.

Stops two and three barely had any selection, although the prices were better.

Finally, the fourth store had a decent selection and not outrageous prices, so I basically had my choice of Highland Park 12, Auchtenoshan 12, and Aberlour 12 for all about $60, and I ended up going with the Aberlour. If I end up liking it, they also had the A'Bunadh for about $90, which I guess seems standard according to Google. I really cannot overstate how stupid the whiskey market is in my area. There are a couple big shops downtown, but there's no way I'm wandering around there on the weekend before July 4th.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Gravitee posted:

Hello from Loretto KY. I'm with a group doing a Maker's Mark barrel pick. Anyone have any favorite stave profiles?

If you like bourbon, definitely try and go on a MM pick. I had such a good time. For those uninitiated, Maker's does not do traditional barrel picks because they are always have the same mash bill and same bourbon. So they come up with their different expressions by dropping in different staves into the bourbon after it's matured which provide different finishing notes. As a group, we get a chance to pick ten different staves to drop into the barrel and 90 days later, you get a store pick. There are five different staves to choose from to create your own recipe. There are over 1,000 different combinations so you end up with something fairly unique. Here's a bit more about what flavors each stave imparts: https://www.makersmark.com/makers-mark-private-selection

Grabbing some cask strength as the base of our bourbon

Entering the lake house, the precision of the bottle spacing makes my OCD warm and fuzzy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0brWVJQlUSQ

Our seats in the private lake house for the selection.

Blending stave aged bourbon for our recipe

The view of the lake from our blending room

Our #2 recipe was the winner: 3 Pure stave, 2 Cuvee, 1 46 stave, 3 Mendiant, 1 French Spice. Even though I didn't know the other people in my group before this outing, we all were in 100% agreement that this was the pick.

We also got to eat a four course meal in our own private dining room for free

This was so fun and such a wonderful, unique experience. Besides the free bourbon and food, we also got some other free swag and got some limited edition bottles from the gift shop. I got the last wood finishing series to complete my vertical. A great way to spend a day!

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
I know this is the Whisky thread but any opinions on rum? I have no idea the players like I do with bourbon or scotch but I'm looking for something fun/sippable on its own. Any recommendations?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Paul Proteus posted:

I know this is the Whisky thread but any opinions on rum? I have no idea the players like I do with bourbon or scotch but I'm looking for something fun/sippable on its own. Any recommendations?

Rum thread.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Opened the Talisker Surge a (now ex-)friend bought for me the last time she travelled overseas.

Overall: it's like any Talisker, in that there is definite smoke and peat, but the trademark saltiness is gone. Like, if you asked me whether or not that's a Talisker, I wouldn't be able to tell. It's not bad, mind you. After a bunch of mediocre bottles, this is a solid reminder of what a good single malt can be.

The initial sniff and flavour lean more towards smoke and peat, but as it coats your mouth and goes down your throat, the deep fruit and caramel comes out. Best way I can describe it is like a slide, with peat and smoke at one end, and fruit/berry and caramel at the other. It starts at the first end and gets to about 75% of the way to the other end. The smoke doesn't disappear, but becomes less noticeable as the other flavours come out.

Hell of a price, though. I think I paid her back about $135 or so for it a year ago, and that's when the pound was significantly weaker. If you can find it in a duty-free store, it's not a bad choice. I'd still rather find that The Balvenie Golden Cask, but it's something different.

Doesn't beat the Laphroaig PX Cask for a mixture of sweetness and smoke. If you can ever find that one, have fun!

blueshifting
Sep 27, 2015
College Slice
Re: Maker's Pick

I've done six Makers PS picks now, and I'm really liking the relatively new French Mendiant stave that they introduced a couple of years ago. It's now the backbone of most of the picks I do.

Now is a great time to get in the barrel-picking game - while barrels from the OG KY distillers get harder and harder to come by, there are so many others putting out amazing barrels that it's hard to complain.

Here are some of the picks I've made this year:

Single Malt
Rare Character Exceptional Series 9yr Single Malt
Dry Fly 8yr 136.6pr Single Malt (This was a surprise - I had written off Dry Fly but this was one of the best American Single Malts I've tried all year)

American Whiskey
Barrell Craft Spirits Whiskey CQ11 finished in Oloroso Sherry cask

Light Whiskey
Old Rick 15yr 143pr
Backbone 14yr 142pr
J Mattingly Light Whiskey Blend "Stormbreaker 3.0"
- Don't sleep on Light Whiskey, the high-proof aged stuff is crazy good, with lots of butter and butterscotch custard character that is really appealing.

Wheat Whiskey
Backbone Wheat Whiskey finished in Columbian Rum Cask

Rum (Included because I find there is a lot of overlap between Whiskey and Rum drinkers, especially for barrel-pick offerings)
Nashville Barrel 5yr Rum 138pr
Plantation 12yr Panama Rum finished in Pineau des Charentes Cask

Canadian Whiskey
Found North finished in Muscat Cask
Copper & Cask 15yr finished in Armagnac Cask
Copper & Cask 15yr finished in Port Cask
Backbone 15yr finished in Sherry Cask
- It turns out that Canadian Whiskey is pretty drat tasty with some age and a finish on it! I find that these really appeal to Speyside Scotch drinkers, especially those that like Aberlour, Glenallachie, and other Sherry-Matured Speysides.

Rye Whiskey
Nashville Barrel 7yr Rye
High West Double Rye finished in Barreled Manhattan Barrel
Copper & Cask Double-Cask Toasted Rye
Backbone Triple-Finished Rye (A blend of sherry, port, and rum finishes, I believe)
Woodinville Rye (x2)
Rare Character Rye finished in Amburana Cask (x2, first one was a portion of a barrel instead of our own barrel)
Rare Character Straight Rye
New Riff Rye
Good Times 95/5 Rye (Strange to have non-finished Good Times, but this pick was really solid straight MGP Rye)
Good Times Rye finished in Honey Barrel
Barrell Craft Spirits Rye 1R01 finished in Barbados Rum cask
J Mattingly Rye Blend "Apple Crumble"
- Rye moves slower in our market, so I didn't pick up a lot this year. That being said, the Copper & Cask Double-Cask Rye is phenomenal, and those Rare Character Amburana picks mind-blowing if you haven't had Amburana finishes before.

Bourbon Whiskey
1792 FP (x2)
1792 BiB
Buffalo Trace
Eagle Rare
Blantons
Weller Antique 107 NCF
Elijah Craig BP (x3)
New Riff Bourbon (x2)
Woodinville Bourbon
Barrell Craft Spirits Bourbon E78K
Whiskey Thief Distilling Bourbon (might be the first barrel outside of KY?)
Rare Character Port Finished Bourbon
Rare Character Apricot Brandy Finished Bourbon
Rare Character Straight Bourbon (x2)
Yellowstone Handpicked
Ezra Brooks Cask Strength
Rebel Cask Strength
Knob Creek
J Mattingly Bourbon Blend "Short Stack" (The added staves that J Matt uses really add a maple-bacon character to the whiskey, always giving us a breakfast vibe to the blends)
Backbone Bourbon (x2)
Backbone Bourbon finished in Amaro Cask
Backbone Bourbon finished in Vermouth Cask
Backbone Bourbon finished in Wave Stave Barrel
Backbone Bourbon finished in Apera Cask
Backbone Bourbon finished in PX Sherry Cask
Good Times Bourbon finished in Hawaiian Honey Cask
Good Times Bourbon finished in Tawny Port Cask
Good Times Bourbon finished in Icewine & Apricot Brandy Cask
Nashville Barrel Bourbon (x3)
Nashville Barrel Nashtucky 8yr Bourbon
Rabbit Hole Hiegold (x2)
Copper & Cask Bourbon (x4)
Copper & Cask Double-Cask Bourbon
Hand Barrel Single Barrel Bourbon (I really wanted to hate this stuff. Gimmicky bottle, sourced, young whiskey. To say that I was skeptical would be an understatement. Yet somehow, they're making really good bourbon with great depth of flavor. I'm convinced they've made a deal with the devil.)
Maker's Mark Private Select
Nulu Bourbon finished in Apple Brandy Cask
Nulu Double-Cask Double-Toasted Bourbon
Nulu Bourbon finished in Amburana Cask
Nulu Bourbon (SUPER short barrel, yielding only 24 bottles. 134.8pr with crazy intensity. According to Nulu, straight up the best Bourbon they've ever bottled.)
Four Roses Single Barrel OBSV (wish it was one of the rarer combinations, but it was delicious, immediately standing out from the other 9)
Jefferson's Reserve
Jefferson's Ocean Cask Strength
Lucky 7 The Proprietor 6yr
Lucky 7 Holiday Toast
Lucky 7 The Frenchman

Barrel Picks I've Passed On
Templeton Rye - All tasted young and thin. Pass.
Old Potrero - Really wanted to like these, as I like everyone I've met from Hotaling, but these barrel samples were super funky and downright unpleasant.
Heritage 4 Grain - This mashbill won them a bunch of awards recently, so I was hopeful. Unfortunately, these barrels didn't deliver.
Kirk & Sweeny Rum - Nothing like their standard product, these samples were dry, astringent, and lacking depth of flavor.

blueshifting fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 9, 2023

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

blueshifting posted:

This sounds insanely good.

blueshifting
Sep 27, 2015
College Slice

Lawen posted:

This sounds insanely good.

It's really good. It has this tropical fruitcake thing going on, along with smoky pineapple. I tasted it again alongside some much higher-proof bottles last week, but it held its own.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

blueshifting posted:

Re: Maker's Pick

I've done six Makers PS picks now, and I'm really liking the relatively new French Mendiant stave that they introduced a couple of years ago. It's now the backbone of most of the picks I do.

Now is a great time to get in the barrel-picking game - while barrels from the OG KY distillers get harder and harder to come by, there are so many others putting out amazing barrels that it's hard to complain.

Here are some of the picks I've made this year:

Single Malt
Rare Character Exceptional Series 9yr Single Malt
Dry Fly 8yr 136.6pr Single Malt (This was a surprise - I had written off Dry Fly but this was one of the best American Single Malts I've tried all year)

American Whiskey
Barrell Craft Spirits Whiskey CQ11 finished in Oloroso Sherry cask

Light Whiskey
Old Rick 15yr 143pr
Backbone 14yr 142pr
J Mattingly Light Whiskey Blend "Stormbreaker 3.0"
- Don't sleep on Light Whiskey, the high-proof aged stuff is crazy good, with lots of butter and butterscotch custard character that is really appealing.

Wheat Whiskey
Backbone Wheat Whiskey finished in Columbian Rum Cask

Rum (Included because I find there is a lot of overlap between Whiskey and Rum drinkers, especially for barrel-pick offerings)
Nashville Barrel 5yr Rum 138pr

Canadian Whiskey
Found North finished in Muscat Cask
Copper & Cask 15yr finished in Armagnac Cask
Copper & Cask 15yr finished in Port Cask
Backbone 15yr finished in Sherry Cask
- It turns out that Canadian Whiskey is pretty drat tasty with some age and a finish on it! I find that these really appeal to Speyside Scotch drinkers, especially those that like Aberlour, Glenallachie, and other Sherry-Matured Speysides.

Rye Whiskey
Nashville Barrel 7yr Rye
High West Double Rye finished in Barreled Manhattan Barrel
Copper & Cask Double-Cask Toasted Rye
Backbone Triple-Finished Rye (A blend of sherry, port, and rum finishes, I believe)
Woodinville Rye (x2)
Rare Character Rye finished in Amburana Cask (x2, first one was a portion of a barrel instead of our own barrel)
Rare Character Straight Rye
New Riff Rye
Good Times 95/5 Rye (Strange to have non-finished Good Times, but this pick was really solid straight MGP Rye)
Good Times Rye finished in Honey Barrel
Barrell Craft Spirits Rye 1R01 finished in Barbados Rum cask
J Mattingly Rye Blend "Apple Crumble"
- Rye moves slower in our market, so I didn't pick up a lot this year. That being said, the Copper & Cask Double-Cask Rye is phenomenal, and those Rare Character Amburana picks mind-blowing if you haven't had Amburana finishes before.

Bourbon Whiskey
1792 FP (x2)
1792 BiB
Buffalo Trace
Eagle Rare
Blantons
Weller Antique 107 NCF
Elijah Craig BP (x3)
New Riff Bourbon (x2)
Woodinville Bourbon
Barrell Craft Spirits Bourbon E78K
Whiskey Thief Distilling Bourbon (might be the first barrel outside of KY?)
Rare Character Port Finished Bourbon
Rare Character Apricot Brandy Finished Bourbon
Rare Character Straight Bourbon (x2)
Yellowstone Handpicked
Ezra Brooks Cask Strength
Rebel Cask Strength
Knob Creek
J Mattingly Bourbon Blend "Short Stack" (The added staves that J Matt uses really add a maple-bacon character to the whiskey, always giving us a breakfast vibe to the blends)
Backbone Bourbon (x2)
Backbone Bourbon finished in Amaro Cask
Backbone Bourbon finished in Vermouth Cask
Backbone Bourbon finished in Wave Stave Barrel
Backbone Bourbon finished in Apera Cask
Backbone Bourbon finished in PX Sherry Cask
Good Times Bourbon finished in Hawaiian Honey Cask
Good Times Bourbon finished in Tawny Port Cask
Good Times Bourbon finished in Icewine & Apricot Brandy Cask
Nashville Barrel Bourbon (x3)
Nashville Barrel Nashtucky 8yr Bourbon
Rabbit Hole Hiegold (x2)
Copper & Cask Bourbon (x4)
Copper & Cask Double-Cask Bourbon
Hand Barrel Single Barrel Bourbon (I really wanted to hate this stuff. Gimmicky bottle, sourced, young whiskey. To say that I was skeptical would be an understatement. Yet somehow, they're making really good bourbon with great depth of flavor. I'm convinced they've made a deal with the devil.)
Maker's Mark Private Select
Nulu Bourbon finished in Apple Brandy Cask
Nulu Double-Cask Double-Toasted Bourbon
Nulu Bourbon finished in Amburana Cask
Nulu Bourbon (SUPER short barrel, yielding only 24 bottles. 134.8pr with crazy intensity. According to Nulu, straight up the best Bourbon they've ever bottled.)
Four Roses Single Barrel OBSV (wish it was one of the rarer combinations, but it was delicious, immediately standing out from the other 9)
Jefferson's Reserve
Jefferson's Ocean Cask Strength
Lucky 7 The Proprietor 6yr
Lucky 7 Holiday Toast
Lucky 7 The Frenchman

Barrel Picks I've Passed On
Templeton Rye - All tasted young and thin. Pass.
Old Potrero - Really wanted to like these, as I like everyone I've met from Hotaling, but these barrel samples were super funky and downright unpleasant.
Heritage 4 Grain - This mashbill won them a bunch of awards recently, so I was hopeful. Unfortunately, these barrels didn't deliver.
Kirk & Sweeny Rum - Nothing like their standard product, these samples were dry, astringent, and lacking depth of flavor.

I’m confused, how does one get into the barrel picking game? Are these all samples you’ve tried, bottles you’ve purchased, or…?

blueshifting
Sep 27, 2015
College Slice

Lyon posted:

I’m confused, how does one get into the barrel picking game? Are these all samples you’ve tried, bottles you’ve purchased, or…?

They're all barrels I've selected this year - I do the spirits buying for a small regional chain of liquor stores.

blueshifting fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 11, 2023

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

blueshifting posted:

They're all barrels I've selected - I do the spirits buying for a small regional chain of liquor stores.

Haha okay that makes way more sense. Feel free to save a store pick of each for me and/or bring me with you for the tastings :).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

blueshifting posted:

They're all barrels I've selected - I do the spirits buying for a small regional chain of liquor stores.

drat, I just thought you were a 90 year old alcoholic on your fourth liver :boobeer::allears:

Seriously, though, thanks for the :effort: Very informative when folks in/adjacent to the industry post here!

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

How is Caol Ila 12? It’s on offer on Prime Day

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

blueshifting posted:

They're all barrels I've selected this year - I do the spirits buying for a small regional chain of liquor stores.
Got laid off right before the 4th of July! How'd you get into that? Are they hiring!? Joking, but also not.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

How is Caol Ila 12? It’s on offer on Prime Day

It's my personal favorite peated scotch, but I'm not a peat head per say. My notes would be peat/band aids, meaty, lemon, and a decent amount of vanilla/ sweetness.

If you want a peat bomb or don't want anything sweet I'd say stay away, but I like the sweetness in contrast to the smoky rubber.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Caol Ila is one of the main blends in JW Black I think. So going to have a similar taste.

blueshifting
Sep 27, 2015
College Slice

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Got laid off right before the 4th of July! How'd you get into that? Are they hiring!? Joking, but also not.

I worked for a distributor as a sales rep for about five years before getting into the retail side. Starting at a distributor is a good way to get into the industry, and from what I've seen most are hurting for people right now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Summer nights are best with mint juleps.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As an American who really likes Highland Park 12, is this worth it? I have 2 more hours at Heathrow

Or this

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 12, 2023

stratego
May 6, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

As an American who really likes Highland Park 12, is this worth it? I have 2 more hours at Heathrow

Or this

I really like their single releases, expensive, but you're getting it at cask strength.
I've got the Michigan Renaissance City release and a Chicago Binny's pick release. I think it's some good HP.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Or this

I'd take the Single Cask or Cask Strength over the 18 easy.

e: hope you had a good flight, let us know which one you got :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

spankmeister posted:

I'd take the Single Cask or Cask Strength over the 18 easy.

e: hope you had a good flight, let us know which one you got :v:
I paid for entry to the Qantas lounge and got drunk on champagne and Glenlivet 12 instead :lol:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Josh Lyman posted:

I paid for entry to the Qantas lounge and got drunk on champagne and Glenlivet 12 instead :lol:

There you go.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
MGP is closing their plant in Kansas.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

blueshifting posted:

I worked for a distributor as a sales rep for about five years before getting into the retail side. Starting at a distributor is a good way to get into the industry, and from what I've seen most are hurting for people right now.

Interesting, I appreciate the info! I'll certainly give it a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gatts posted:

MGP is closing their plant in Kansas.

They have a plant in Kansas? I was only familiar with their gigantic facility in Indiana.

It looks like they weren't making whiskey in Kansas, anyway.