Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1674398200961069058

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The water hammer in your pipes is water moving at entire meters per second, with a pressure differential of maybe 15 psi, and it'll rattle the pipes pretty good. That little window got water hammered with water going substantial fractions of the speed of sound, with a pressure differential of 3000+ PSI. A literal bomb going off inside would probably cause less overall damage to that window.

You can almost see that the little bolts used to keep it in place all failed horribly and the window got ejected.

This is two pages ago, but I thought someone did the math and the water would have been moving at mach 2. I could be misremembering.

A mach 2 wall of water is effectively like just getting smooshed between two rocks.

The end pieces are in pretty decent shape because they weren't the point of failure, and would have just been sucked in during the collapse.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I had a home OSHA story happen to me on Saturday. I was cleaning the bathroom floor where I keep my cat's litter boxes with bleach and their happened to be a spot of dried cat urine that I didn't see before I put down the bleach. I heard this fizzing sound and immediately backed out of the bathroom closet because I felt my eyes burning.

I created chlorinated gas with cat piss and bleach by accident. Cat piss is extremely concentrated with ammonia, I've learned.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Vargatron posted:

I had a home OSHA story happen to me on Saturday. I was cleaning the bathroom floor where I keep my cat's litter boxes with bleach and their happened to be a spot of dried cat urine that I didn't see before I put down the bleach. I heard this fizzing sound and immediately backed out of the bathroom closet because I felt my eyes burning.

I created chlorinated gas with cat piss and bleach by accident. Cat piss is extremely concentrated with ammonia, I've learned.

I tend to stay away from using bleach as an every day cleaner for this reason. There are plenty of alternatives out there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vargatron posted:

You may have won this round, but don't let your guard down - they will most assuredly try again, and soon

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is two pages ago, but I thought someone did the math and the water would have been moving at mach 2. I could be misremembering.

A mach 2 wall of water is effectively like just getting smooshed between two rocks.

The end pieces are in pretty decent shape because they weren't the point of failure, and would have just been sucked in during the collapse.

The water moves so fast it acts like a piston in a diesel engine, crushing and igniting anything organic in 0.9ms. They turned to ash and electrolytes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

fullerene posted:

"looks like you need a new water heater.... Oh"

I have a water heater inside the roof cavity from when my house was first built. When it broke down the owners just unplugged it, crimped off the water lines and put a new unit in behind the house.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
They found some kind of identifiable human remains onboard

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

FlapYoJacks posted:

They turned to ash and electrolytes.

Yeah apparently they've found 'remains', which I guess implies the failure mode was gradual enough to not incinerate them....

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DandyLion posted:

Yeah apparently they've found 'remains', which I guess implies the failure mode was gradual enough to not incinerate them....

If that’s confirmed the best guess is the pothole that was rated for 1500 meters failed lmfao.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

pothole that was rated for 1500 meters

wow thats a pretty deep pothole, they should fix that before someone falls in and hurts themselves, glad to hear that darren finally used his largest spirit level though

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I would think that even if the air temperature in the collapsing sub gets super duper high for a few milliseconds that's not enough time to burn a human body much before it gets immersed in seawater.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Invalido posted:

I would think that even if the air temperature in the collapsing sub gets super duper high for a few milliseconds that's not enough time to burn a human body much before it gets immersed in seawater.

So you're saying we didn't get billionaire roast, we got billionaire soup.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Phanatic posted:

The Juicero was radically overbuilt and literally no expense was spared on making it as unnecessarily high-quality as they could. It did something *dumb*, but it did it very well and the components inside it were top-notch.

Yeah, the whole thing with the Juicero was that they had engineered this incredibly expensive ultra-durable precision-crafted press made of high-quality parts machined to impressively tight specifications… in order to press juice packets that you could literally just squeeze out with your hands almost as quickly. The build quality was great, just in service of a completely unnecessary function.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Entropic posted:

Yeah, the whole thing with the Juicero was that they had engineered this incredibly expensive ultra-durable precision-crafted press made of high-quality parts machined to impressively tight specifications… in order to press juice packets that you could literally just squeeze out with your hands almost as quickly. The build quality was great, just in service of a completely unnecessary function.

If I remember right, a hand squeeze actually got more out of the packets since the Juicero left some of the contents behind.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Juicero was for some reason designed to apply uniform pressure to the entire juice packet at once, which was one reason it was so overbuilt (that's a LOT of physical force). Hands, or a smarter mechanism, can focus on the parts of the packet with juice remaining

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
it's probably because the founder of the company was one of those raw food nutjobs who believed that all the nutrients in food disappear if you heat it or grind it etc. pressing the fruit flat using no mechanical advantage is the only authentic healthy way of doing it

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah it was definitely because they thought evenly pressing it was better for the juice. I think the odd part is they had to chunk most fruits to fit them in the pouch but I guess because it's done under their careful eyes it doesn't count.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Sagebrush posted:

it's probably because the founder of the company was one of those raw food nutjobs who believed that all the nutrients in food disappear if you heat it or grind it etc. pressing the fruit flat using no mechanical advantage is the only authentic healthy way of doing it

Yeah that's exactly what happened based on the reporting I remember reading.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

I mean, heating does denature some nutrients and vitamins, so that's not completely insane.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

zedprime posted:

Yeah it was definitely because they thought evenly pressing it was better for the juice. I think the odd part is they had to chunk most fruits to fit them in the pouch but I guess because it's done under their careful eyes it doesn't count.

The fruit in the packets was generally rejected fruit that doesn't end up on grocery shelves because it looks lovely. That's where the money was - the recurring package revenue because they were selling people fruit that otherwise would have went in the garbage or into animal feed. The problem is they had to overprice them to subsidize the cost of the juicer, and it didn't make practical sense at that point.

If they had a $100 juicer with a $10/week juice package subscription, they probably would be in business today. Instead they had a juicer that cost $700/per that they sold at cost initially and then at a loss while selling reject fruit and veg for $8/package.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 29, 2023

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The fruit in the packets was generally rejected fruit that doesn't end up on grocery shelves because it looks lovely. That's where the money was - the recurring package revenue because they were selling people fruit that otherwise would have went in the garbage or into animal feed. The problem is they had to overprice them to subsidize the cost of the juicer, and it didn't make practical sense at that point.

yeah, and the same is true for pretty much any juiced fruit so it's not like they had some kind of big-brained competitive advantage over other producers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, heating does denature some nutrients and vitamins, so that's not completely insane.

heating also kills pathogens, denatures toxins, and breaks down indigestible compounds, making food more healthy, so cooking is really a land of contrasts

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Someone should have told these people that humans have built in juicers, right there in their mouths, just eat a fuckin’ piece of fruit you weirdos

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bad Munki posted:

Someone should have told these people that humans have built in juicers, right there in their mouths, just eat a fuckin’ piece of fruit you weirdos

Rather ablest of you to assume everyone has teeth.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I have no mouth and I must juice.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

heating also kills pathogens, denatures toxins, and breaks down indigestible compounds, making food more healthy, so cooking is really a land of contrasts

Not arguing that, just saying that for the fruits that humans generally eat, there aren't a lot of pathogens, toxins or indigestible compounds. Most of us are perfectly capable of chowing down on a raw apple, a banana, a pineapple, etc. and there actually will be more nutrients for us if we don't boil it first.

Vegetables, of course, are another realm(you probably shouldn't try to eat an uncooked potato) where a lot of stuff does need cooking and it goes without saying that raw meats are the realm of madmen.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

If humans couldn't cook their food, we'd probably have never gotten to the level of development that we have today.

What I mean to say is, the control of fire is humanity's first and greatest crime against nature.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Invalido posted:

Even if it reacted infinitely fast, there's not enough oxygen to completely oxidize 300~400kg of meat to CO2+etc. There's inevitably gonna be some chunky leftovers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
But if we cooked all our food and never ate the spoiled stuff we'd never get drunk so maybe nature has forgiven us after all.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

(you probably shouldn't try to eat an uncooked potato)

How else am I supposed to resist having pre-marital sex?!?

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

fullerene posted:

"hmm, it's 1897 and carbon fibre submersibles haven't been invented yet, what's an incredibly stupid way I can kill myself and several others..."
I Just listened to a "drat Interesting" podcast episode about this. It's worth a listen for the quotes from their recovered journal. They survived a remarkably long time after their balloon froze & crashed.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I got to my age eating a whole sweet potato raw every day. I'm only in my 30s but still.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

the panacea posted:

I assume there are multiple insurance companies and a flock of attorneys eagerly awaiting their turn to inspect the wreckage to deny any claims by OceanGate and to establish criminal and civil charges.

"Now does this constitute suicide and thus void the life insurance" :objection:

I don’t know the specific policies held by the examples of physics, but life insurance policies still pay out on suicides. The policy may require it be held a certain amount of time for it to payout, but I’m not sure people getting a policy and immediately committing suicide is actually something that happens with any regularity.

And is a submersible without any certification getting any sort of insurance? I guess a company could be like sure we’ll insure your death trap, but when it comes time for payouts we’ll be asking for certifications it can operate at the depths it was attempting to operate at.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nothing is truly uninsurable. There are insurance companies out there (Lloyd's of London, for instance) who will write you a policy for anything you desire. Want insurance for your all-pufferfish restaurant, your helicopter volcano tour, your uncertified submarine? No problem. They'll have their actuaries do the research and come up with a figure for you to pay. Good luck shopping around.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sagebrush posted:

Nothing is truly uninsurable. There are insurance companies out there (Lloyd's of London, for instance) who will write you a policy for anything you desire. Want insurance for your all-pufferfish restaurant, your helicopter volcano tour, your uncertified submarine? No problem. They'll have their actuaries do the research and come up with a figure for you to pay. Good luck shopping around.

Back in 2011 I was part of an organization that was trying to figure out event insurance for our regional burn (aka: small local version of Burning Man) in Texas. That year the state was undergoing a historic drought and was under constant burn-bans and red-flag warnings. There had been major, ruinous wildfires rampaging through the state. So an event that was out in the woods and entirely centered around burning a massive wooden sculpture had an extremely hard time finding insurance coverage. We did finally approach Lloyd's of London, though we didn't go with them in the end. (I believe their quote was loving astronomical, and at the last minute we were able to find another insurer.)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!

GD_American posted:

no hard hat or hearing protection

Do you need ear pro for work on pressure vessels? Or should you be listening for hissing?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

StormDrain posted:

I got to my age eating a whole sweet potato raw every day. I'm only in my 30s but still.

Just think how old you'd be by now if you never picked up that habit!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Potato Salad posted:

Do you need ear pro for work on pressure vessels? Or should you be listening for hissing?
We would need to see the anime JSA else we can't make assumptions about if there is no other noise sources in the area or about the other lines on the tank that are not LOTO'd. If not called out in the JSA the area would likely default to ear pro required as there are very few work sites with piping that don't involve noisey equipment.

However if we want to harp on something unsafe there is no reason not to be wearing a bump cap when working around industrial pipes at human level. Even when we aren't a kawaii klutz even the best industrial trades folks will just routinely knock their head on pipes and instrumentation. Also the source of how you tell if someone actually goes in the field or not because your bump cap will collect scuffs fairly quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rvmfc8Iofa1qgptgp.mp4

stolen from the schadenthread:
https://i.imgur.com/jUb0yTi.mp4