Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

A purely air invasion would be a bit tricky (and the US navy isn’t going to the Caspian).

We'll just get Elon to dig a canal connecting the Black Sea to the Caspian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

oh right it shoots mithril-cased ammo forged in the bulletdeeps

Lmao

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Lostconfused posted:

Central Asia is probably the next big hot spot yeah.

Not content to simply aggravate Russia or China one at a time, the US is going to stick its dick right between them to piss off both at once.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Fell Mood posted:

Not content to simply aggravate Russia or China one at a time, the US is going to stick its dick right between them to piss off both at once.

Oh gently caress yeah aggravate it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Now that's not entirely fair

In training they use brass only cases which are much cheaper, but also much less powerful, because barrel lifespan is drastically curtailed when you're using the full power cartridge! This is totally fine, the guys won't be able to feel the difference

Going to be funny when that's what gets issued for actual combat use and the theoretical benefits of replacing the rifle and all the ammo in the army inventory vanishes in a puff of shareholder value

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DefenseOne/status/1674209819815755777?t=4x2XhNVRyICP_IbtYn4QtA&s=19

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

is this is like how some government computer systems still run on COBOL and the only people that know that programming language are either long retired or dead?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
that is an exaggeration. some of those systems were actually run on FORTRAN

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i like what this says about management

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/SSJPabs/status/1674226332471795713?t=vuWR0lqgVDwm_4Y1lLBH4g&s=19

https://twitter.com/SSJPabs/status/1674328208869564416?t=V_4u68zUNp08wscNRgVYfA&s=19

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

https://twitter.com/WarshipCam/status/1674208657188302849?s=20

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Study of the 'Emden' or 'Nürnberg, German light cruisers, at Scapa Flow after being refloated in 1919

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

looks like some poo poo you'd see on a lake in oklahoma pulling up trot lines

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Put even bigger flags on it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is totally normal and fine actually

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

wrong thread

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Ship looks disgusting--nipples protruding--rusted blue hull before returning to port. Very very disrespectful.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Slavvy posted:

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2023/06/navsea-comments-on-rusty-u-s-navy-ships-and-new-paint-coatings/

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

"we got poo poo going on, man"

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Didn’t think it be into it, but the next Armored Core game looks to be extremely my poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

quote:

Critics of rusty brown-streaked U.S. Navy ships point out that the high-operational tempo of the U.S. Navy, and the backlog of shipyard maintenance, has led to a worn and battered appearance of Navy ships returning from deployments. One solution the interviewed Navy officers suggest is that the U.S. Navy needs to build more new ships to replace the old ships in order to patrol the world’s oceans more efficiently and effectively.

Not only is it totally normal and fine, we in fact need more ships

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol you can't even maintain the ships you do have

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The ads on that site rule

Slavvy posted:

I love it.

The cheap frigates the surface navy hated had aluminum superstructures and so didn't rust nearly as easily too.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:51 on Jun 30, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Slavvy posted:

they do let out the real reason in there. increased time between shipyard periods, because the tank coating has been particularly effective.

that’s a reasonable explanation.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Also the new ships should have extra thick hulls to survive the normal collisions with commercial shipping.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Bar Crow posted:

Also the new ships should have extra thick hulls to survive the normal collisions with commercial shipping.

On that note, if you like long-form reads, this was a great article about the USS Fitzgerald incident that I read a while back:

FIGHT THE SHIP: Death and valor on a warship doomed by its own Navy.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

not /more/ ships, the ships just have to be single use

like a razor blade, bing bong so simple

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Hubbert posted:

On that note, if you like long-form reads, this was a great article about the USS Fitzgerald incident that I read a while back:

FIGHT THE SHIP: Death and valor on a warship doomed by its own Navy.

quote:

The Fitzgerald’s captain selected an untested team to steer the ship at night. He ordered the crew to speed through shipping lanes filled with cargo ships and fishing vessels to free up time to train his sailors the next day. At the time of the collision, he was asleep in his cabin.

thats for schoolgirls. now here is a route with some chest hair /goes to bed

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Frosted Flake posted:

The ads on that site rule

I love it.

does the "combat proven" refer to the azeri-armenian war?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Cerebral Bore posted:

that is an exaggeration. some of those systems were actually run on FORTRAN
Fortran still has a niche in numerical computing ans HPC. Fortran 90 and later really aren't that bad.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

they do let out the real reason in there. increased time between shipyard periods, because the tank coating has been particularly effective.

that’s a reasonable explanation.

Yeah I can see how effective it is

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

thats for schoolgirls. now here is a route with some chest hair /goes to bed

"my sailors are all exhausted and we dont have enough time for training"

"i know how to get ahead of schedule..."

this is quite literally what happens when you collide (ha) neoliberal cost cutting with military "do it somehow no matter what" attitude

e: also the type of person who gets promoted in this environment is taking these kinds of risks every single day to keep up with the expectations of their senior leaders. every day you take a risk like this and people dont die, you get rewarded.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Slavvy posted:

The woke rear end EPA is what it is.

https://twitter.com/prepbassetport/status/1674270874470596609?t=h9Mwrf54dUAVs11xYvp73w&s=19

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Yeah I can see how effective it is

it’s inside the ship inside the tanks. that’s one of the big things that happens in shipyards. The steel in the tanks (for ballast and fuel) gets evaluated visually (think go inside in the dark and look for pinholes of light) and ultrasonically. Then if it needs it, it gets replaced.

that type of rust you see is something that happens on commercial vessels taking anywhere from 3-8 years to develop. it’s not particularly indicative of the hull condition. so if they are pushing 15-20 between shipyards that’s quite normal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

"my sailors are all exhausted and we dont have enough time for training"

"i know how to get ahead of schedule..."

this is quite literally what happens when you collide (ha) neoliberal cost cutting with military "do it somehow no matter what" attitude

e: also the type of person who gets promoted in this environment is taking these kinds of risks every single day to keep up with the expectations of their senior leaders. every day you take a risk like this and people dont die, you get rewarded.

This is what's called being an audacious go getter in the vein of guderian

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The hulls on the ships aren't going to collapse on themselves, but longer and longer periods between drydocking periods does mean not only rusted paint, but there may be other parts of the ship, including critical systems, that haven't seen the maintenance they need.

So it is significant even if the ship is structurally fine.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Ardennes posted:

The hulls on the ships aren't going to collapse on themselves, but longer and longer periods between drydocking periods does mean not only rusted paint, but there may be other parts of the ship, including critical systems, that haven't seen the maintenance they need.

are you in the pocket of Big Rust or something

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Huragok posted:

are you in the pocket of Big Rust or something

It is what it is, man.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

The suckle really points out how key systems just weren't working from lack of maintenence, unserstaffing, and lack of knowledge or systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ardennes posted:

it’s not a abnormal thing anymore. they do underwater hull inspections instead of dock periods on commercial vessels regularly. there is an upper limit to how long they can go.

If there were to a be a critical system with a problem that could only be fixed in dry dock that would mean a dry dock period. I’ll write about how that works for you on the commercial side tomorrow and how the military differs.