Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
uh, using capitalism against itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/HuntClancy/status/1672784870496403456?t=Il4VhviNlRD25AwobkI-nA&s=19

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Palladium posted:

uh, using capitalism against itself?

Yeah, some how I feel their thesis and this thread's theories don't align

Griz
May 21, 2001

nothing new there
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2019/09/05/army-launches-inquiry-into-how-teen-with-autism-and-arm-disorders-was-recruited/

he's autistic, on anxiety meds, his arm is permanently hosed, and the recruiter just said lie about it

quote:

“My left arm is 50 percent weaker than my right, but I got a waiver for that,” Horsley said. “I’ve never been able to do a pull-up in my life and I max out on push-ups at 15 or 10. I can’t turn my hand palm up.”

“Three weeks before I left, my recruiter went on leave and didn’t tell me," Horsley added. "He didn’t text or anything and then he unfriended me on Facebook.”

what a fuckin scumbag. i think there were some even worse cases during the peak of the iraq surge.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Oh you think autistic people shouldn't be able to do some jobs? Ableist much?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

it’s not hard to get waivers for nearly anything.

I mean poo poo I had a colorblind classmate who sat for a deck license.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I read that post in an Australian accent.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
*me stumbling into a multi-hour postmortem of the 2006 israel-hezbollah conflict on bilibili, which i know nothing about*

*hours later*

me: lmao russian leeroy jenkins is nowhere even close to peak IDF hilarity

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Cerebral Bore posted:

i don't want to be rude or anything, but i feel like circa 1910 isn't "a few years ago" anymore

The Great Illusion came out in 1909 though.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/suemedocin/status/1672783757689102337

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Yeah I don't think they'll be turning away (functioning) people with autism any time soon considering how many oddball latchkey kids are already in.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah I don't think they'll be turning away (functioning) people with autism any time soon considering how many oddball latchkey kids are already in.

Do you think they just kicked this kid out because his hand is bung? Or for the lying?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

Do you think they just kicked this kid out because his hand is bung? Or for the lying?

Probably the medication, actually. I don't know if the US has a set-in-stone pushup and chin-up requirement, but it's more likely that requiring prescription medication was the issue.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Probably the medication, actually.

it’s this. you can have diagnosis. the issue is medication. whatever one’s difference is one must be functional medicated. it’s possible to get waivers for was medicated in the past but not anymore for some things.

edit: but my experience here is only officers, it’s probably harder for enlisted folks.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 06:38 on Jun 26, 2023

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/przidnt1/status/1673209547282870274

nobody wants to be sky knights anymore

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

you do that and fort meade becomes a ghost town

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

The problem with longer, heavier, projectiles in 777 specifically is that the cradle already has serious issues and so increasing recoil force and chamber pressure is not really acceptable, neither is shifting the weight or balance to make up for it. I think I alluded to the problem's Ukraine is going to have with these guns logistically. Changing even one of these out has proven to be a major headache, and several would need to be altered to accommodate bigger shells, since even standard ones at reduced charges are wrecking the cradles and hydraulics.

You would also have to run any modifications though the many, many contractors

Which already had to happen to accommodate Excalibur in the first place

This is not like the old days when the King owned the cannon foundry and could order new guns cast to a certain calibre and old guns rebored. Now, everybody has to get paid.That dramatically complicates changes that a state arsenal could reasonably make 50, 40, probably even 30 years ago.

Frosted Flake posted:

I have bad news about that

(This is good news, I just don't know how they'll respond)

The elevating gear manufacturer is A) also responsible for Abrams parts, and B) looks like an artisanal operation

Oops all capitalism

Frosted Flake posted:

This is an emotional rollercoaster. After telling private industry to gently caress off so they could make more guns, the arsenal reentered a Public-Private partnership "to help Watervliet Arsenal cut operation costs"

american artillery and tank procurement has also been reformed into f-35 style contractor hell lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

cspam is gonna make me understand the importance of sea freight and artillery or die trying

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1673663107435048963

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Here's a funny video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5thfHTbOrg

Highlights:
- yeah we can just airland the brigade nearby. long range air defense doesn't exist and there is absolutely no chance of the bad guys shooting at us while we're still unpacking all our poo poo in the assembly area, we're always the ones who decide when to shoot at them.
- minefields, obstructions, anti-tank ditches, or other fortifications around the objective don't exist
- check out this sick heads up display
- its a good thing they didnt sortie any of those su-25 looking aircraft since our organic air defense is *checks notes* a guy with a stinger
- near-peer adversaries defending a critical installation wouldn't have anything heavier than a jeep right
- well at least that cool gun is real and doesnt have any boondoggle-rear end problems ri- *touches earpiece*

quote:

The cartridge uses a case that is the same length and diameter as the .308 Winchester.[10] Each "hybrid" cartridge case consists of a stainless steel base coupled to a brass body via an aluminium locking washer.[11][12] Stainless steel has a significantly higher yield strength than brass, allowing the engineers to use higher maximum average pressure (MAP) chamber pressure levels.[13]

oh right it shoots mithril-cased ammo forged in the bulletdeeps

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Now that's not entirely fair

In training they use brass only cases which are much cheaper, but also much less powerful, because barrel lifespan is drastically curtailed when you're using the full power cartridge! This is totally fine, the guys won't be able to feel the difference

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

Here's a funny video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5thfHTbOrg

Highlights:
- yeah we can just airland the brigade nearby. long range air defense doesn't exist and there is absolutely no chance of the bad guys shooting at us while we're still unpacking all our poo poo in the assembly area, we're always the ones who decide when to shoot at them.
- minefields, obstructions, anti-tank ditches, or other fortifications around the objective don't exist
- check out this sick heads up display
- its a good thing they didnt sortie any of those su-25 looking aircraft since our organic air defense is *checks notes* a guy with a stinger
- near-peer adversaries defending a critical installation wouldn't have anything heavier than a jeep right
- well at least that cool gun is real and doesnt have any boondoggle-rear end problems ri- *touches earpiece*

oh right it shoots mithril-cased ammo forged in the bulletdeeps

im the near peer enemy whose heaviest armor is a bmp-1 with no artillery to speak of yet mysteriously has helicopters, a jet attacker, and air defense

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

What is it with seizing airfields anyway

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Now that's not entirely fair

In training they use brass only cases which are much cheaper, but also much less powerful, because barrel lifespan is drastically curtailed when you're using the full power cartridge! This is totally fine, the guys won't be able to feel the difference

this is like when BuOrd would fill torpedoes with cement for test shots, except Torpex was heavier so the depth settings used by sub captains was always wrong

The Oldest Man posted:

What is it with seizing airfields anyway

they're critical bits of infrastructure, and if you base a lot of your doctrine on air support and air mobility, not only do you perceive them as being valuable for your own use, but you also project that there's value in denying them to the enemy

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Danann posted:

im the near peer enemy whose heaviest armor is a bmp-1 with no artillery to speak of yet mysteriously has helicopters, a jet attacker, and air defense

at 5:08 you can see the enemy has T-72s and BTRs. Fortunately the enemy is sporting enough to park them in lines and let the US army destroy them.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Its just the plan for the next generation of colonial wars. Like we're just devoting billions, trillions even, to perfecting the way to attack Iraq in 1991/2003

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KomradeX posted:

Its just the plan for the next generation of colonial wars. Like we're just devoting billions, trillions even, to perfecting the way to attack Iraq in 1991/2003

Iraq had tanks and used them

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

Iraq had tanks and used them

We've convinced ourselves to not much effectiveness because we're high on our own propaganda

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

KomradeX posted:

I'm thankful for the video specifying the SA-4 so we can know the near peers our boys are preparing to fight:

:patriot:

edit: video says sa-14 but uses a model of sa-4 and there's no sa-14 so i guess someone made a typo but still

Danann has issued a correction as of 08:46 on Jun 28, 2023

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

the us has a long way to go before they catch up with dahir insaat in tech

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

they're critical bits of infrastructure, and if you base a lot of your doctrine on air support and air mobility, not only do you perceive them as being valuable for your own use, but you also project that there's value in denying them to the enemy

which is always incredibly funny because airfields are extremely fast and easy to set up by the standards of infrastructure

even devoured by boondoggles as it is the usaf can have a two airstrip airfield able to support c-130s built in three days

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

atelier morgan posted:

which is always incredibly funny because airfields are extremely fast and easy to set up by the standards of infrastructure

even devoured by boondoggles as it is the usaf can have a two airstrip airfield able to support c-130s built in three days

The idea is just that the US will only need to topple a hapless developing country with a couple existing airfields and maybe some light armor. They just need to show up and make facts on the ground like the wars they had fought during the 90s to the 2010s. It is an intrinsically backward facing strategy.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ardennes posted:

The idea is just that the US will only need to topple a hapless developing country with a couple existing airfields and maybe some light armor. They just need to show up and make facts on the ground like the wars they had fought during the 90s to the 2010s. It is an intrinsically backward facing strategy.

lol the IDF mustered their entire resources and still got absolutely smoked by a handful of militia armed with nothing better than RPGs in a poor country in 2006, and the west is trying to forget that ever happpened

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Danann posted:

I'm thankful for the video specifying the SA-4 so we can know the near peers our boys are preparing to fight:

:patriot:

edit: video says sa-14 but uses a model of sa-4 and there's no sa-14 so i guess someone made a typo but still

Central Asia is probably the next big hot spot yeah.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Central Asia is probably the next big hot spot yeah.

How would the US get there?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
very carefully

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

atelier morgan posted:

What's really funny is that video has them setting up an airfield to go attack another airfield

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Ardennes posted:

they could reach turkmenistan through georgia and azerbadjzan

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ardennes posted:

Once they establish a good relationship with the new Afghani government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Megamissen posted:

they could reach turkmenistan through georgia and azerbadjzan

A purely air invasion would be a bit tricky (and the US navy isn’t going to the Caspian).