Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I used a CPAP for about a week. The tinnitus (which has never 100% gone away since) and head splitting pain of the thing blowing out my ear drums all night were a bit of a bother, so gently caress that. Was easier and less painful to lose weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Main Paineframe posted:

Even in Silicon Valley, six figgies is enough for rent and food as long as you don't expect to own a McMansion, have kids, drive a luxury car, or buy all the videogames and take-out you want every month. The high cost of living in the biggest urban areas means someone making $100k won't be living a luxurious lifestyle, but they're not gonna be broke either.

I think the rentals start at $4k or more. 3x that (recommended) is $12k/net a month and (I do payroll) that's about $14k/month gross in California or $168k annual.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I wish they would design masks for 24hr use and to look as understated as possible for those of us that use non-invasive ventilation.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

FizFashizzle posted:

Get a referral to neurology/sleep from your PCP.

Then you'll do a polysomnogram which is essentially a sleep study. don't half rear end it and do the home version because if that is positive you have to go into a facility and get a proper one anyway.

polysomnogram involves sleeping somewhere with an EEG, a pulse ox, and a camera on you. Generally you only need to sleep for like 3-6 hours for them to get the info.

Then you go back to you provider and they go over the report with you. If you qualify, sometimes you can just get one but other times you need to go back for a cpap titration test (also sometimes they'll just go ahead and do this at your polysomnogram). The point of this test is just to figure out your settings. Not everyone needs the same amount of resistance.

Then you have a 2-3 month grace period where you get used to wearing it. Honestly the best thing is just to keep it on when you're watching tv or whatever. some doctors will give you klonopin at the beginning but that's bullshit dont do that.

Then you start wearing it and you have more energy and you think more clearly and you join a gym and you start working out and you can plan meals and you get on a diet program and you start losing weight which improves your sleep and exercise and people at work notice and you get a promotion and you get a whole new wardrobe and you feel more confident in yourself and you start making friends and you get invited to go out and you meet some cutie and you start joking with one another and it turns out she has a cpap too and you two bond over it and you fall in love and you get married and you start a family and you have children and you have success in work and life and decades from now, as you look back on everything you have accomplished and you watch the sun set and you hold your wife in your arms and you listen to the laughter of your grandchildren in the distance you remember this thread and you say out loud, softly, more to yourself than anyone else, "thank you fizfashizzle."

Couple differences when I got mine I recall; they did in fact just do a home sleep study for me and not a "facility" one, it apparently gave them more than enough info (apparently the home study thing had motion sensors/audio collection capability to register tossing and turning and/or snoring). Not sure whether or not my easier diagnosis was because my potential apnea was diagnosed by my general practitioner when they did an ultrasound of my arteries and found issues (said mine looked decades older than they should due to the stress apparently). CPAP "titration" was just done at the sleep doctor when I got the prescription as I recall, plus they had someone deliver the machine (which I technically rent via insurance) and size things like the mask then. Do need to clean parts of it briefly every day (with a more thorough scrub down every week or so, though not more than maybe 15-20 min for the big clean) and eventually re-order supplies every so often, mostly so the system that humidifies the air doesn't get crud/bacteria in it.

I did notice a rapid improvement in sleeping once I got used to the mask (real issue is nose breathing when I don't really do while awake, so there's a "switch-over" that can take a while; stuffy noses are also a nightmare). It is more of a major issue than you'd think; my doctors specifically quoted untreated apnea could be as much as a two year difference in lifespan vs treated, and given the heart/circulatory impacts not to mention just the general wellness you feel at actually getting a good night's sleep (went from sometimes sleeping 10-12 hours on a weekend and waking up tired to feeling great at 7 hours max) I believe it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah I had a take home sleep study and that was fine to get me prescribed a CPAP.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I wish I could wear a CPAP. I have very bad sleep apnea, but my anxiety is such that I can't stand to wear a mask (also I'm a stomach sleeper). You know how they say keeping O2 levels above 95% is the key for restful sleep? I was below NINETY percent 49% of the time.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

VideoGameVet posted:

I think the rentals start at $4k or more. 3x that (recommended) is $12k/net a month and (I do payroll) that's about $14k/month gross in California or $168k annual.

yeah lovely apt in menlo park i think 5 or 6 years ago was already $4k

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Spoke Lee posted:

I wish they would design masks for 24hr use and to look as understated as possible for those of us that use non-invasive ventilation.

Just wait until Mad Max comes to pass and you’ll be able to wear whatever you want on your face.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

SirFozzie posted:

I wish I could wear a CPAP. I have very bad sleep apnea, but my anxiety is such that I can't stand to wear a mask (also I'm a stomach sleeper). You know how they say keeping O2 levels above 95% is the key for restful sleep? I was below NINETY percent 49% of the time.

I was a Stomach Sleeper before I started cpap. If you can force yourself through the anxiety and get used to sleeping on a side/back, its lifechanging, its great. ITS FANTASTIC, and your anxiety about the mask vanishes once your body makes the leap to go "Hey... I uh... feel good after doing this thing."

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I'll wake up on my stomach with my CPAP mask on all the time. It's workable. The hose is long enough that I've never yanked the CPAP machine off the nightstand from rolling around either. It's not as terrible as it sounds. Wearing a mask with positive air pressure against your nose and/or mouth was definitely uncomfortable the first few nights but as stated, that's just your brain reacting to it because it's an unknown experience. It disappears fast.

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 29, 2023

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's been a few months since Eric Adams did something weird in New York City at he just wanted to remind everyone that he is still the Mayor, still really into good vibes, and still a weird guy.

https://twitter.com/NYTMetro/status/1673869840665247745

God I hate this idiot so much

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's been a few months since Eric Adams did something weird in New York City at he just wanted to remind everyone that he is still the Mayor, still really into good vibes, and still a weird guy.

https://twitter.com/NYTMetro/status/1673869840665247745

This man has never had kids or even watched Kindergarten Cop

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Starting to suspect that it is a tumor

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sir Lemming posted:

This man has never had kids or even watched Kindergarten Cop

He actually does have a son because his son famously posted the picture of Adams' house that showed he lived in New Jersey during the campaign. His son also moved to Albania to become a local rapper there.

So, his son is pretty weird too.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
This story just reminded me of a newsletter that I got from a coworking space in the Hudson valley (so NYC adjacent, on the metro north line). It was for a mixer event where the itinerary was like:
6:00 meet, snacks
6:15 talk from the mc on, idk, the power of positive thinking for business owners
6:55 meditation
7:00 curated networking

Just such a weird, bougie thing to make mindfulness a standardized line item.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Supreme Court just ruled that explicitly race-based affirmative action for college admissions violates the 14th amendment.

Opinion was just handed out seconds ago. But, there will probably be news stories pretty soon.

6-3 vote. The sides are who you would expect.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Times doesn't have a full article up yet, but has mini blurbs:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1674422849011089411

quote:

The Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that the race-conscious admissions programs at Harvard and the University of North Carolina were unlawful, curtailing affirmative action at colleges and universities around the nation, a policy that has long been a pillar of higher education.

The vote was 6 to 3, with the court’s liberal members in dissent.

quote:

President Biden is scheduled to leave the White House early this afternoon for a quick trip to New York City, but White House officials have not ruled out the possibility that he could make remarks about the ruling before he leaves.

quote:

At the end of the majority opinion striking down race-based affirmative action in college admissions, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. said that universities could still consider applicants’ discussion of their personal race-based experiences as part of essays: “Nothing in this opinion should be construed as prohibiting universities from considering an applicant’s discussion of how race affected his or her life, be it through discrimination, inspiration or otherwise. But, despite the dissent’s assertion to the contrary, universities may not simply establish through application essays or other means the regime we hold unlawful today.”

quote:

Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson recused herself from the Harvard case because she had been on the university’s board of overseers, but still joined Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s dissenting opinion in that case. A footnote said Justice Jackson joined it “as it applies” to the U.N.C. case and that she “took no part in the consideration or decision” of the Harvard case.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This is the only reason they ruled the way they did for the majority black districts after basically destroying the voting rights act just a few sessions ago. That was the only cover they could give themselves to not be called the most racist court since Plessy.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I was listening to... I think the podcast version of NBC Nightly News?... and they talked to someone who said that when California did this the percentage of black and latinae students in univesity systems being enrolled dropped 50% and has yet to recover.

Seems bad man.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1674423966830850049?s=20

what are these...."distinct interests"?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

The fact that our armed forces are majority minority.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Sending minorities into the meat grinder. Though military acadamies, I think, mean West Point/Annapolis/USAF so it's really about *optics*. It's not just white officers sending over propotionally POC enlisted to injury and death, but POC officers too!!!

It really just underscores the fact that it's a move to limit access to higher education ( and thus, theoretically, better employment oppertunites ) to blacks and latinae people - and make sure there are less black and latinae doctors/lawyers/nurses/teachers to perpetuate systematic racism that way as well.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, they know that it would be a huge blow to recruitment if all the officers were white.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

What is the current racial breakdown of the u.s. military?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

What is the current racial breakdown of the u.s. military?

For all armed forces:

The army is much less white:

quote:

White, Not Hispanic: 54%
Black, Not Hispanic: 20.2%
Hispanic: 17.2%
Asian or Pacific Islander: 6.9%
American Indian or Alaskan Native: 0.9%
Unknown/Other: 0.8%

Male/Female split is about 85/15.

The army makes up about 50% of the armed forces total. So, that means that the Navy and Air Force are disproportionately white.

https://api.army.mil/e2/c/downloads/2022/08/05/90d128cb/active-component-demographic-report-june-2022.pdf

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
A bit of a rant here I went to a school in a city for undergrad and the same school same city for graduate school and the difference in diversity was astounding. Like, the private university just clearly was participating in just enough black/latine students to not get side eye. The fact that these assholes get bothered by seeing different people just ASTOUNDS me. Your mediocre white kid has tons of options. Brayden can get drunk at another school before you give him a job.

I hate this court and I also hate the disingenuous white people using asian students to oppress black people.

edit: Maybe this will be like Janus where colleges will find a way to allow more people of color and do better with recruiting practices.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 29, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

shoeberto posted:

This story just reminded me of a newsletter that I got from a coworking space in the Hudson valley (so NYC adjacent, on the metro north line). It was for a mixer event where the itinerary was like:
6:00 meet, snacks
6:15 talk from the mc on, idk, the power of positive thinking for business owners
6:55 meditation
7:00 curated networking

Just such a weird, bougie thing to make mindfulness a standardized line item.

This just makes me think of a lot of TED talks I've seen. There's some "expert" on mindfulness and how engaging in thoughtful meditation, and they talk about all these technically sound concepts, but then they're like "I used these skills to achieve my success with Lockheed-Martin in the bomb making division. Anyway it's been great doing this talk, and I hope the rest of you middle managers and vice presidents or whatever can use these skills to go out there and max profits."

And of course the people who do the actual labor are exempted. They need to be on the clock and working their full 8 hours. Begrudgingly given their 15s (or heavily encouraged to not take them by being passive aggressive about it), and short lunches. Maybe if you work the morning shift your manager will say something about self-care or w/e before cracking the whip and making sure that you are doing the job of three people because all those mindfully engaged go getters from the middle on up have slashed labor to the bone for another boost to quarterly profits (and their bonuses).

gently caress the mindfulness industry and all the associated woo.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Good lord you idiots.

All Academy application have a political component. One has to get nominated (except for CG) by a congressman or a senator or one of the weird Vice Presidential slots.

They are avoiding restricting politicians ability to select by race(in good and bad ways), because that might get challenged.

And there are five federal academies not four.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Youth Decay posted:

https://twitter.com/quantian1/status/1674426191162515463
Not sure how sound this take is but I suspect schools are going to try a way around this in some fashion or other.

The decision leaves lot of wiggle room for colleges to consider "racial experiences" and proxies for race aside from a check box for black/white/etc on the application

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Space Force?

(no, I'm kidding, Coast Guard)

edit: Going back to the "Fifth Service Academy", since there was a post in between

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kith posted:

joe biden fuckin sucks for a hundred reasons but i'd rather have that than someone who is actively malicious and dangerous for a million reasons. this does not mean i am happy about joe biden or enthusiastic about joe biden, it means i am willing to accept the lesser evil

That's how they get you though.
You can't vote FOR the person you actually want because you have to vote AGAINST the Greater Evil.

And there is ALWAYS a new "Greater Evil," so the cycle never ends.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

the_steve posted:

You can't vote FOR the person you actually want because you have to vote AGAINST the Greater Evil.

Yeah it’s almost like politics is the art of the possible and Utopianism has historically produced nightmarish results.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Joe Biden is the most progressive president we've had since LBJ and that's very very faint praise.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SirFozzie posted:

Space Force?

(no, I'm kidding, Coast Guard)

edit: Going back to the "Fifth Service Academy", since there was a post in between

Kings Point USMMA

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Youth Decay posted:

Joe Biden is the most progressive president we've had since LBJ and that's very very faint praise.

Jimmy Carter de-regulated the craft brewing industry. Without him, progressive enclaves like Brooklyn, NY and Boulder, CO would be desolate wastelands because the hoppiest IPA in the country was never developed to draw in their bearded denizens and create those burgeoning urban environments.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Yeah, and Italy was the most left-wing of the Axis Powers.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

the_steve posted:

You can vote for whoever you want, 74 million people voted for Trump. It's just that if someone both complains about Republicans doing bad things and brags about not having voted against them, other people might spot the inconsistency.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

the_steve posted:

Yes friend keeping the fascists from ascending every two years by marking a ballot does get pretty tiring but I mean so does putting the trash out and I gotta do that every week.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

James Garfield posted:

You can vote for whoever you want, 74 million people voted for Trump. It's just that if someone both complains about Republicans doing bad things and brags about not having voted against them, other people might spot the inconsistency.

It's only inconsistent if they lose their state by 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The amicus curae brief is on the docket, you can just look at it yourself.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/Docket...y%20Leaders.pdf

It's 50 pages long, but here's the summary, which argues that racial diversity in the officer corps is essential for the military's ability to carry out its duties as well as for its ability to recruit and maintain internal morale.

quote:

Diversity in the halls of academia directly affects performance in the theaters of war. In Grutter v. Bollinger (“Grutter”), 539 U.S. 306 (2003), Fisher v. Univ. of Tex. at Austin (“Fisher I”), 570 U.S. 297 (2013), and Fisher v. Univ. of Tex. at Austin (“Fisher II”), 579 U.S. 365 (2016), this Court adjudicated the constitutionality of colleges and universities considering racial diversity as one of many factors in admissions practices. These cases remain of great interest to Amici because of their potential impact on the military’s ability to cultivate a diverse, highly qualified officer corps.2 That ability hinges, in turn, on the military’s continuing admission of diverse student bodies into its service academies and continuing recruitment of diverse students into Reserve Officer Training Corps (“ROTC”) programs at civilian universities nationwide, such as Harvard College (“Harvard”) and the University of North Carolina (“UNC”). Indeed, because most of the military’s officer corps come from service academies or ROTC, the diversity of these institutions and programs directly impacts the diversity of our military’s leadership.

The importance of maintaining a diverse, highly qualified officer corps has been beyond legitimate dispute for decades. History has shown that placing a diverse Armed Forces under the command of homogenous leadership is a recipe for internal resentment, discord, and violence. By contrast, units that are diverse across all levels are more cohesive, collaborative, and effective. The importance of diverse leadership has risen to new heights in recent years, as international conflicts and humanitarian crises require the military to perform civil functions that call for heightened cultural awareness and sensitivity to ethnic and religious issues. All service members—minority or otherwise—are better equipped to meet these challenges if they are educated in a racially diverse environment and guided by diverse leadership in the field.

Our academies and ROTC programs admit students pursuant to the Raise and Maintain Clauses of the United States Constitution. See U.S. Const. art. I, § 8, cls. 12–13. In Amici’s professional judgment, the status quo—which permits service academies and civilian universities to consider racial diversity as one factor among many in their admissions practices—is essential to the continued vitality of the U.S. military to “raise,” “support,” and “maintain” a diverse, highly effective officer corps. This Court has rightly deferred “to the professional judgment of military authorities” on matters concerning the optimal composition and operations of our Armed Forces. E.g., Goldman v. Weinberger, 475 U.S. 503, 507 (1986). To that end, in Grutter, the Court deferred to the military’s judgment regarding the importance of a diverse officer corps and validated its interest in that diversity:

quote:

[T]o cultivate a set of leaders with legitimacy in the eyes of the citizenry, it is necessary that the path to leadership be visibly open to talented and qualified individuals of every race and ethnicity. All members of our heterogeneous society must have confidence in the openness and integrity of the educational institutions that provide this training.
Grutter, 539 U.S. at 332.

These words remain true today. Prohibiting educational institutions from using modest, race-conscious admissions policies would impair the military’s ability to maintain diverse leadership, and thereby seriously undermine its institutional legitimacy and operational effectiveness. Amici respectfully request that, in considering whether to reverse decades of precedent affirming the constitutionality of such admissions policies, the Court will continue to consider how such policies enable the military to serve our Nation’s security interests.