Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

NGL, I'm impressed it can still drive

It *is* a Hilux after all.
I'm guessing something fell on it, since it looks otherwise new-ish.

Kazinsal posted:

The other night at the pub, my friend mentioned he had a Fiero with no engine and a line on a series 2 L67, and followed that up with "hey do you know how to weld?". I don't.

I'm vaguely curious as to whether or not I would do a worse job than that.

It's not that hard. It's harder to get *pretty* AND good. Or vice versa.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Using a MIG is easy peasy. I am confident I could get pretty much anyone with motor skills better than those of a toddler and a brain capable of vague cognitive thought sticking metal together well in a couple of hours.

Doing thin sheet bodywork though? That's more of an art form.

The difficult bit of welding on cars is the thickness of metal and the positions you have to weld in. Sticking two bits of 5mm steel together on a table top is piss easy. Doing 1mm bodywork while you're laying on your back awkwardly due to access is poop from a butt and the least fun form of welding. Unfortunately as a car guy this is the poo poo you'd be doing most often if you're a fan of lovely rotbox cars like I am. :cry:

*edit: I could certainly have you welding better than those 'rari ones as those ones do seem to have been done by a toddler. Possibly a drunk toddler who was using the old 'close your eyes while you pull the trigger' method of welding as opposed to using a mask.

Yeah, that.
Very much agreed on dialing in the welder settings. It's bad enough with my MIG that has exactly two setting that I still gently caress up. I can't wait to start using my TIG. At least it does a lot of the automatic stuff. Tell what and how thick and it does the initial settings. Some MIGs can do that too, but mine is probably 20 years old.

Not my worst welds, but not my best, either:

One thing I forgot to do on those welds was to bevel the edges of the joint. They were at least clean. Fitment was "meh."

edit. In EV news, Chevy jacked the price of the Silverado EV up, ala Ford, before the damned thing is even on sale. Originally estimated at $40K for the base work truck, it now starts at $50K+, up to, get this: $105K. MSRP, before the dealers get ahold of them. At least the $105K model is the "RST First Edition" with 400 miles range, 664 HP, and 10K towing.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Darchangel posted:

It *is* a Hilux after all.
I'm guessing something fell on it, since it looks otherwise new-ish.

It's not that hard. It's harder to get *pretty* AND good. Or vice versa.

Yeah, that.
Very much agreed on dialing in the welder settings. It's bad enough with my MIG that has exactly two setting that I still gently caress up. I can't wait to start using my TIG. At least it does a lot of the automatic stuff. Tell what and how thick and it does the initial settings. Some MIGs can do that too, but mine is probably 20 years old.

Not my worst welds, but not my best, either:

One thing I forgot to do on those welds was to bevel the edges of the joint. They were at least clean. Fitment was "meh."

I worked for a couple summers / holidays as a welders helper in the Gulf oilfields. I've definitely easily cleaned up worse welds than this with an angle grinder and wire wheel that got sandblasted / painted and looked fine.

Working doing that was fun I got to see a ton of different kinds of welding on all sorts of materials from high pressure pipe welding to aluminum fridge boxes to stainless steel stuff. There were some really impressive welders out there and for plate steel stuff on non-visible welds a lot of them would speed through stuff that wasn't too far off from this.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Reminded me of a project I worked on with a steel water tank. The welders laid continuous beads with arc welders, strike it, melt the entire stuck, put in a new one, for entire boxes of rods. High skill, had to be incredibly boring. Also kind of neat to see a truck of flat plate steel become a round tank.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That Works posted:

I worked for a couple summers / holidays as a welders helper in the Gulf oilfields. I've definitely easily cleaned up worse welds than this with an angle grinder and wire wheel that got sandblasted / painted and looked fine.

Working doing that was fun I got to see a ton of different kinds of welding on all sorts of materials from high pressure pipe welding to aluminum fridge boxes to stainless steel stuff. There were some really impressive welders out there and for plate steel stuff on non-visible welds a lot of them would speed through stuff that wasn't too far off from this.

Oh, they definitely got ground down, and will be painted.

Second shelf came out a little prettier:

StormDrain posted:

Reminded me of a project I worked on with a steel water tank. The welders laid continuous beads with arc welders, strike it, melt the entire stuck, put in a new one, for entire boxes of rods. High skill, had to be incredibly boring. Also kind of neat to see a truck of flat plate steel become a round tank.

Reminds me: I showed this project to a friend who took welding classes at the local community college (he audited - just wanted to learn, not make it a career) and when I brought up my bandsaw and plasma, he commented that his instructor would only let them do cutting and fitment with an angle grinder and torch, because "oil field". I had to reply that I'm not in the oil field. Think more budget fab shop, bro. I *can* do it with a cut-off wheel and grinder, but I don't have to, do I? I get it, the instructor was trying to prepare students for the primary mode of welders, but nah.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

Oh, they definitely got ground down, and will be painted.

My absolute least favorite activity is grinding a weld and finding a huge hole.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

StormDrain posted:

Mine is blowing holes when welding on rusty sheet metal and then making more holes trying to fix the previous holes and then it's oops all booger welds.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Mine is blowing holes when welding on rusty sheet metal and then making more holes trying to fix the previous holes and then it's oops all booger welds.

Oh hell yeah love that too! It ain't sheet metal, it's a sheet of welds.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

StormDrain posted:

Mine is probably cleaning up dog diarrhea that's been ground into a rug

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Sagebrush posted:

Time for a new rug imo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sagebrush posted:

My wife said "gently caress it" and we moved up our eventual plan a few years to replace the upstairs carpet with vinyl flooring after our 120lb dog caught a bad stomach bug and we woke up at 3am to roughly 2 gallons of diarrhea spread around the bedroom carpet. Poor guy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That Works posted:

My wife said "gently caress it" and we moved up our eventual plan a few years to replace the upstairs carpet with vinyl flooring after our 120lb dog caught a bad stomach bug and we woke up at 3am to roughly 2 gallons of diarrhea spread around the bedroom carpet. Poor guy.

Don't worry, if there's any carpet in your home at all that is what will be puked/poo poo on.

Our house is 75% vinyl flooring but the cat always finds the carpet each and every time lol, he literally runs to carpet when he starts gagging

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Don't worry, if there's any carpet in your home at all that is what will be puked/poo poo on.

Our house is 75% vinyl flooring but the cat always finds the carpet each and every time lol, he literally runs to carpet when he starts gagging

my mom had white rugs at the entryways for some unbeknownst to me reason and when my dog was a puppy she thought they were another puppy pad because they were the only other white things on the floor.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
what do you mean the final step of welding a bead isn't hitting it hard with a flapper disc?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Been there, done that.

Scratch Monkey posted:

what do you mean the final step of welding a bead isn't hitting it hard with a flapper disc?

Always.

Can confirm. Doggo with sensitive stomach loves to urp on the rug.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Scratch Monkey posted:

Some people just get lazy and skip the final steps I guess.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sagebrush posted:

Thre are times Ij ust stroll back into a thread and the first post I see is something that makes me go...."What in god's name lead to this post?!?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sir, you KNOW we need adult supervision at all times.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My apartment is all hardwood and vinyl. Clearly, I should get a cat :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I had a dog that dug a hole into the linoleum/vinyl sheet flooring behind the toilet and proceeded to piss into that hole for months before we re-did that bathroom. There was crystallized urine between the vinyl sheet and underlayment across the entire bathroom floor

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Boy have I got a thread for you!

The worst part of hitting a thin spot/blowout on fifty-seven-year-old 22ga was being 'on a roll' so I tried to patch a growing hole with more & more wire feed. Ugh.

Eventually I'd snap out of it.

StormDrain posted:

Oh hell yeah love that too! It ain't sheet metal, it's a sheet of welds.

:bang::hf::bang:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 30, 2023

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
No no no, I said I'm a poo poo metal welder

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

The worst part of hitting a thin spot/blowout on fifty-seven-year-old 22ga was being 'on a roll' so I tried to patch a growing hole with more & more wire feed. Ugh.

Eventually I'd snap out of it.

Just try to remember that Bondo was invented specifically for those situations

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

I had a dog that dug a hole into the linoleum/vinyl sheet flooring behind the toilet and proceeded to piss into that hole for months before we re-did that bathroom. There was crystallized urine between the vinyl sheet and underlayment across the entire bathroom floor

Lol what the gently caress, how long did it take you to figure out your dog was doing that? Not until you re did the bathroom? That's hilarious and disgusting at the same time.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Bathroom reeking like dog piss? Totally normal.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You and your parter both silently wondering what the gently caress is going on with the other ones piss

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I honestly don't know how it got as far as it did, I was maybe 11 when we tore up the floor. All I remember is how loving gross it was when we found out that the little half bath had a layer of pee in the floor from a dog who was already dead

At least my folks have wood floors now, almost certainly with no dog pee in them

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Maybe the piss wicked between subfloor and floor effectively enough there wasn't enough left uncontained to smell much.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Scratch Monkey posted:

Just try to remember that Bondo was invented specifically for those situations

In this instance, it was part of a (much, much) larger sheet-metal rehab on a cheap throw-away pickup that somehow survived.

A gallon+ of bondo was involved. Later.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Spotted a baffling looking SUV, and I'm pretty sure it was one of these, in bright yellow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rezvani_Tank

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Maybe the piss wicked between subfloor and floor effectively enough there wasn't enough left uncontained to smell much.

We had a renter that had about 15 unfixed elderly dogs over a decade span in a modular with mdf floors...it's been about 6 weeks with 5 box fans running 24/7 and your eyes still water walking through it. The subfloor has just started to dry out after all that time.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MDF? That’ll never come out.

Surprised they aren’t all piss-flavored oatmeal after 10-years.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

MDF? That’ll never come out.

Surprised they aren’t all piss-flavored oatmeal after 10-years.

Yeah the electricity bill to run the fans long enough to finally get rid of the smell would pay for the full rip-out and replace that the floors really need.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I didn't grab a photo because I was driving, but imagine if you will an Audi A4 with a Pontiac Grand Am spoiler on it.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

davebo posted:

I didn't grab a photo because I was driving, but imagine if you will an Audi A4 with a Pontiac Grand Am spoiler on it.

Wrong thread

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Audi A4 = terrible
Grand Am spoiler = awesome

It’s a wash :shrug:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Imagine, if you will, a mid 2000s hyundai sonata rattlecanned black with a sheet metal whale tail spoiler mounted on the trunk lid, dive planes on the front, and UV tinted headlights. Also with fart can and crackle tuned. There was so much going on with the car I was just completely dumbfounded. Why a Hyundai Sonata? Why not a lovely BMW?

I wanted to get a pic of it but I was driving and my dad was in the passenger seat, he would have had a fit if I'd pulled my phone to snap a picture.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

davebo posted:

What year/ generation grand am?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

orange juche posted:

Imagine, if you will, a mid 2000s hyundai sonata rattlecanned black with a sheet metal whale tail spoiler mounted on the trunk lid, dive planes on the front, and UV tinted headlights. Also with fart can and crackle tuned. There was so much going on with the car I was just completely dumbfounded. Why a Hyundai Sonata? Why not a lovely BMW?

I wanted to get a pic of it but I was driving and my dad was in the passenger seat, he would have had a fit if I'd pulled my phone to snap a picture.

To paraphrase a scumbag former defense secretary: You don’t gorp the car you want; you gorp the car you have.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

orange juche posted:

I read this in the twilight zone voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

wesleywillis posted:

What year/ generation grand am?

The late 90s/early 00s I guess.