Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Killingyouguy! posted:

The Satanic Temple has its roots in LaVeyan Satanism, not Luciferianism, and the key disagreement is against the Church's lack of political activism

i thought it was a bit more personal than that, i thought there was some kind of succession drama as well after anton lavey died and the church was either "inherited" or "taken over" by his daughter or something like that, which caused a split

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Earwicker posted:

i thought it was a bit more personal than that, i thought there was some kind of succession drama as well after anton lavey died and the church was either "inherited" or "taken over" by his daughter or something like that, which caused a split

You might be thinking of the Temple of Set? idk if they're up to anything these days

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Killingyouguy! posted:

The Satanic Temple has its roots in LaVeyan Satanism, not Luciferianism, and the key disagreement is against the Church's lack of political activism

I saw an interview with the founder of The Satanic Temple and he mentioned one of his other motivations to establish a new group was because he outrightly rejected LaVey’s Randian Objectivist philosophy.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I saw an interview with the founder of The Satanic Temple and he mentioned one of his other motivations to establish a new group was because he outrightly rejected LaVey’s Randian Objectivist philosophy.

Huh. So they're ... just secular humanists then? looking at their wikipedia page it seems like their existence is mostly about the political stunts

Wikipedia posted:

Lucien Greaves has described the Temple as being a progressive and updated version of LaVey's Satanism [...] Conversely, the Church of Satan has made statements claiming that The Satanic Temple are only "masquerading as Satanists"

lmao the girls are fighting

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I mean, a high-ranking Satanist rebelling and striking out on his own with his legions is the least surprising thing in the world.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

On the the subject of Satan, there's one question I've never found an answer to. I know this isn't a universaly held belief but, for those whose believe that Satan actually walks the earth (tempting people), the question is how? Isn't he trapped in hell?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Shaddak posted:

On the the subject of Satan, there's one question I've never found an answer to. I know this isn't a universaly held belief but, for those whose believe that Satan actually walks the earth (tempting people), the question is how? Isn't he trapped in hell?

Depends on who you ask. To my knowledge there's no biblical mention of Satan being trapped in hell, and in fact not a lot of mentions to hell itself either.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nessus posted:

I think the FSM people were trying to do what The Satanic Temple does, but they weren't very good at it. Possibly because they didn't ask Satan.

This actually is an interesting question, now that I think of it. In your view of spirituality, does Satan or a comparable malicious force play any substantial role? I'm speaking fairly widely here; actual entity? Representation of the fallen impulse to pull away from the path? etc.
In Orthodoxy, Satan is very much (1) real, (2) the Enemy, but (3) a defeated enemy, bested by Christ through the cross. The only imprecatory prayers I'm aware of in Orthodoxy are targeted towards Satan during the rite of baptism, which also includes some exorcism prayers; and in the case of adults, spitting at Satan. As far as everyday experience, temptation always starts with logismoi--random intrusive thoughts--and some of those (but not all) are understood to come from Satan; however, he can ultimately only suggest them. When we go to Confession, we're supposed to take responsibility for our own sins, and not blame others, not even the devil.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Nessus posted:

I mean, a high-ranking Satanist rebelling and striking out on his own with his legions is the least surprising thing in the world.

:discourse:

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I more think about the passions as being the enemy rather than the devil. I'm aiming to be the rock that the passions crash against. As in Stoicism.

e:

For Echardt Tolle it's all about unconciousness vs conciousness. The more aware and present you are the more you overcome unconciousness.

e:

Also this cartoon.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 29, 2023

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

What's the name of the Tillich book everyone is reading atm, feel like I should have a read as well.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Josef bugman posted:

What's the name of the Tillich book everyone is reading atm, feel like I should have a read as well.

Dynamics of Faith

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Spacegrass posted:

At ages 18 to 22 I considered myself a Laveyian Satanist (a different kind of atheist) I'm not saying It's a super bad religion. (And/or philosophy), but it can make some people wild. I smoked weed, drank, smoked, and got into hard drugs for about 6 months. I and my friends in chat rooms would harass Christians, Which I feel bad about; since I've found Jesus and read any spiritual book I could get my hands on when I went to prison for basically; being a retarded grown kid. I still don't understand religion 100%, but I'm a dedicated Christian now and my head and sanity are clear.

Thanks for sharing this, Spacegrass. Most of the outspoken Christians I have known have been the kind that, as Cyrano said, leave a painful lasting impression. I really appreciate hearing from people for whom it has done powerfully good things. I don't know who I'd be today without my own faith, but I know I would be much worse off -- and it sounds like regardless of the names of the faiths in play, you and I have that experience of religious grace in common. I think that's nice.

killer crane posted:

Dynamics of Faith

That's the one!

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

The discussion of Satanism made me wonder something, did an analog of it ever arise in either the Jewish or Islamic religious/cultural contexts? My limited understanding is that there are several meanings to the term and that the Satanists we usually encounter aren't actually worshiping Satan, but all of the varieties of it are referencing the Christian Satan, correct?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

two fish posted:

The discussion of Satanism made me wonder something, did an analog of it ever arise in either the Jewish or Islamic religious/cultural contexts? My limited understanding is that there are several meanings to the term and that the Satanists we usually encounter aren't actually worshiping Satan, but all of the varieties of it are referencing the Christian Satan, correct?

In my brief glances on LaVeyan Satanism groups online there are definitely at least a couple ex Muslims who use Islamic aesthetics in their Satanism, which is free to do and encouraged, but yeah the Satanic Bible was written in the context of 1960s America and was responding to and using the tropes of the cultural Christianity it existed in... While appropriating foreign concepts when convenient. The list of Infernal Names is very multicultural

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It's been a minute but if I recall correctly the ritual format in the Satanic Bible is very Golden Dawn-flavoured and then for some reason he threw in some 'corrected' Enochian for???reasons???

Like my dude the Enochian system was allegedly delivered to Dee and Kelly by angels, I don't think they'd be ok with Satanic anything.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mad Hamish posted:

It's been a minute but if I recall correctly the ritual format in the Satanic Bible is very Golden Dawn-flavoured and then for some reason he threw in some 'corrected' Enochian for???reasons???

Like my dude the Enochian system was allegedly delivered to Dee and Kelly by angels, I don't think they'd be ok with Satanic anything.

That poo poo takes up like half the book with NO pronunciation guide it's honestly so funny

I need enochian in IPA

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 29, 2023

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Gaius mentioned something about the way to remember dreams. That you shouldn't be overly literal or rationalise them.

I just came across a quote by Kafka and I wonder what they think of it.

Kafka posted:

“Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

That poo poo takes up like half the book with NO pronunciation guide it's honestly so funny

I need enochian in IPA

I guess it could have been funnier if he'd taken various conjurations from the PGM complete with barbarous names and just replaced every instance of YHVH SABAOTH with Satan or something but sadly we will never know.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Crowley was also pretty pro Satan as I recall but was certainly talking about more than that.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Nessus posted:

Crowley was also pretty pro Satan as I recall but was certainly talking about more than that.

Crowley was an edgelord dickhead but he did get literally kicked down the stairs by WB Yeats while trying to do a hostile takeover of the London temple of the Golden Dawn and also his bottoming skills were so amazing that he melted Victor Neuberg's brain with his butthole and drove him mad.

In conclusion, Crowley is a land of contrasts.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mad Hamish posted:

Crowley was an edgelord dickhead but he did get literally kicked down the stairs by WB Yeats while trying to do a hostile takeover of the London temple of the Golden Dawn and also his bottoming skills were so amazing that he melted Victor Neuberg's brain with his butthole and drove him mad.

In conclusion, Crowley is a land of contrasts.
He also had some impressive accomplishments in mountain climbing and heroin use (not simultaneously)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Was Crowley the one who'd write a bunch of nonsense and then be like 'what did I mean? That's for you to figure out'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Killingyouguy! posted:

Was Crowley the one who'd write a bunch of nonsense and then be like 'what did I mean? That's for you to figure out'
I believe that’s the Book of Revelation.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

To be honest you could say this about an awful lot of modern occultists. That said, Crowley ain't got poo poo compared to weirdos like Andrew Chumbley's Cvltvs Sabbati when it comes to incomprehensible mystic garbage.

The first time I ever encountered anything pertaining to Cvltvs Sabbati I thought the person whose website I was reading was having a mental episode.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mad Hamish posted:

To be honest you could say this about an awful lot of modern occultists. That said, Crowley ain't got poo poo compared to weirdos like Andrew Chumbley's Cvltvs Sabbati when it comes to incomprehensible mystic garbage.

The first time I ever encountered anything pertaining to Cvltvs Sabbati I thought the person whose website I was reading was having a mental episode.

I will add this to my reading list thank you for the recommendation

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

In that case I'd suggest :filez: for a copy of the Azoetia and if you can stomach it then go wild.

When I read it my opinion was that it was as though Wicca and Trad Craft (which is just Wicca with the serial numbers filed off) had a baby and that baby did a lot of shrooms and LSD. I'd be curious to see someone else's take on it.

Hello, Religion Thread. Some of us are Weird, it seems.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Chumbley posted:

Three Great Rites of Ingress, Congress, and Egress

This is just giving me flashbacks to compsci undergrad

e: the three Great Rites of extract, transform, and load

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

No, the Rite of Load is something else entirely.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
is there anyone i can chat up about Judaism itt? I'm working the conversion process rn irl and i do talk to a rabbi at the queens college hillel. it would be nice to chat up another goon about these sort of things. If I got something significant to add to the discussion I'll start posting ITT but rn its all so new to me.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Nessus posted:

No, the Rite of Load is something else entirely.

listening and learning

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mad Hamish posted:

In that case I'd suggest :filez: for a copy of the Azoetia and if you can stomach it then go wild.

When I read it my opinion was that it was as though Wicca and Trad Craft (which is just Wicca with the serial numbers filed off) had a baby and that baby did a lot of shrooms and LSD. I'd be curious to see someone else's take on it.

Hello, Religion Thread. Some of us are Weird, it seems.

Weird is Welcome, imo. The more diversity of faiths willing to engage and understand one another the better. :)

e: ha, I just peeked at your post history in here.

Mad Hamish posted:

Look, I'm just saying, we didn't have all these problems we see in today's world back when we were still burning incense unto the Queen of Heaven and pouring out drink-offerings to Her.
I am a bit of a fan of Inanna-Ishtar, She has made Herself a presence in my life recently. :cheers: to Her.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 29, 2023

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
The best thing Crowley ever did was get Lady Frieda Harris to do his Thoth Tarot with him. Her paintings are spectacular.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

The only thing I really know about Aleister Crowley is that when Neil Gaiman was asked if he read any of Crowley's writings as reference for Roderick Burgess in The Sandman, he said he tried, but it was like chewing on foil.

For really interesting weird Satanism, look up Jack Parsons.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Keromaru5 posted:

The only thing I really know about Aleister Crowley is that when Neil Gaiman was asked if he read any of Crowley's writings as reference for Roderick Burgess in The Sandman, he said he tried, but it was like chewing on foil.

For really interesting weird Satanism, look up Jack Parsons.

L. Ron Hubbard also was involved with Crowley and Jack Parsons. Hubbard also ended up stealing Parson’s partner.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I believe that Hubbard and Parsons tried to do the Moonchild operation in the American desert, which involved jerking each other off (?) in an attempt at creating a homonculus, but I may be mistaken in the exact particulars.

Fuckin' wild.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mad Hamish posted:

I believe that Hubbard and Parsons tried to do the Moonchild operation in the American desert, which involved jerking each other off (?) in an attempt at creating a homonculus, but I may be mistaken in the exact particulars.

Fuckin' wild.

More guys should do this

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Are there any Scientologists on the forum?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Something Awful users are probably marked Suppressive Persons by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

two fish posted:

Are there any Scientologists on the forum?

I would be very surprised. In the aughts when these forums were more of a cultural force and Scientology was much more overtly aggressive about shutting down anyone saying bad poo poo about them online, this place went hard against them. There was a bunch of protest organizing and other offline/offsite stuff too like folks getting involved with the Operation Clambake stuff. Given the way the Church of Scientology seems to hold grudges (non-actionable expression of opinion), I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if we're still on their shitlist.