Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Question:
Bosses are big. Now, this is because it is cool and it makes it more interesting/easier for multiple players to combat them. Game mechanics.

Well… but for fallen, it has something to do with more rations make bigger guys right? Kinda like earth musclemen. Also, if you are a leader for any reason, you get to be big.

If in the destiny universe, big = literally powerful. So: shouldn’t at least Mara Sov be like 12ft tall? What about Zavala or Saint? Hell, shouldn’t the player guardian be kneeling to look into the tower at this point?

Well, according to Caiatl, Zavala hides some powerful Tusk... whatever that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Lexorin posted:

Something like fallen will cut off their second set of arms just to prove they can regrow them due to the better ether supply they have? Although I'm not sure if that's true or propaganda, because the captains tend to dock arms for reasons.

Docking is a punishment. Mithrax outlaws it in the House of Light.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

RocketRaygun posted:

Uh, yeah, so bit 'ole it depends.

Basically, your artifact dictates which weapons stun which champions (this rotates seasonally). There are subclass things that stun champions. There are exotic weapons that intrinsically stun champions. We've got a chart that lists all of them in a helpful guide:

As always, Join the discord! We've got a ton of these extremely helpful resources in #d2-library

:worship:

Lol this is way more complicated than I thought, but awesome chart

Someone in my fireteam called Sweet Business "poo poo Business" and even though I really like the weapon, I'm gonna call it that from now on

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Add Savathun to the tower and a tracker for how many times we pet her

Unless we get a Savathun dating simulator where you can get her dressed up in a maid outfit with enough relationship points then Bungie won't get a single cent more from me!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Someone in my fireteam called Sweet Business "poo poo Business"

kill them

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Kith posted:

kill them

Kith's right

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Someone in my fireteam called Sweet Business "poo poo Business"

What the...

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Someone in my fireteam called Sweet Business "poo poo Business" and even though I really like the weapon, I'm gonna call it that from now on

We must show him the way. Sweet Fuckin' Business is one of the best guns in the game. The new explosive rounds are so good at finishing people off behind cover...or just shooting through most walls...lol. Although I wish they would get rid of the 'howling' sound when spun up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Majere posted:

or just shooting through most walls...lol.

This was (supposedly) eliminated in Tuesday's patch, so now it truly is poo poo Business

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Majere posted:

We must show him the way. Sweet Fuckin' Business is one of the best guns in the game. The new explosive rounds are so good at finishing people off behind cover...or just shooting through most walls...lol. Although I wish they would get rid of the 'howling' sound when spun up.

Why would you ever want to nerf the bonus to psychological damage in pvp

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

drat not even “sheeeet business”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
sweet sweetback's business song

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
this guy i follow put out a really good series about the damage meta. if you'd like to get good at raid dps in a way that is totally irrelevant outside of lowman, Day 1 or Master content the series is fantastic. He summarizes in a really explicit and clear way. even if you're very casual, its a fun watch and a great read in the space

Part 1 and about half of part 2 is something most end game players are going to be familiar with but its presented real well and a good introduction into the space if you'vequestions about how/why DPS its great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58OsKO5gx8g

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 29, 2023

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

RocketRaygun posted:

Well, according to Caiatl, Zavala hides some powerful Tusk... whatever that means.

come on. that’s clearly a cultural idiom

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bungie talked a bunch of about the stability issues in the TWAB, I refuse to call it a TWID. It's all very technical and I'm a dumb-dumb right-brained soyboy artist type so I dunno what the gently caress any of it means, but at least they're finally addressing it and being clear about what steps they're taking.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

MJeff posted:

I refuse to call it a TWID.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

MJeff posted:

Bungie talked a bunch of about the stability issues in the TWAB, I refuse to call it a TWID. It's all very technical and I'm a dumb-dumb right-brained soyboy artist type so I dunno what the gently caress any of it means, but at least they're finally addressing it and being clear about what steps they're taking.

tl;dr: your client sends messages to a server called Claims. It sometimes loses connection to other stuff in the bungie network. Normally this isn't a problem and re connections happen without any human intervention, but sometimes it is a problem and they do not reconnect. If the Destiny servers ever get into this state, they need to turn the whole thing off and then back on again. They are working on fixing this.

I should say, from my own code gargling experience... this is an extremely difficult problem to solve. Most work done in this space works with websites and database, which can eat a few hundred millisecond delay when things fail over like this. There is very little work done in realtime environments like a video game at this scale, so bungie doesn't really have a bunch of industry standard tech to fall back on here. There is a reason their fix timeline stretches out to the end of this year, and I fully expect it to stretch further. Not everything they do will improve things, and they can't easily test this without the load of millions of people trying to play the game over the course of a week.

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 29, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Not a single word on the rampant cheating lmfao. Have they even updated Battleye once since they introduced it? loving pathetic.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

Not a single word on the rampant cheating lmfao. Have they even updated Battleye once since they introduced it? loving pathetic.

The charitable explanation might be that they don't want to telegraph that they're currently looking extra hard at identifying cheaters in pvp

The realistic explanation is lol bungie

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

FlapYoJacks posted:

developers dont talk about anticheat in detail because those details help cheaters defeat anticheat systems.

best you're gonna get is "we see cheaters and are taking action".

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

PC is the worst platform to play a big multiplayer game with a corporation behind it on; I am genuinely and legitimately sorry for people who find themselves there doing that.

on a more general TWiD note:

Jesus, literally everything about making a video game, especially a multiplayer video game, and especially a multiplayer video game that updates weekly, and especially a multiplayer video game that updates weekly and has crossplay on all platforms, is an absolute goddamn loving nightmare. every task connected to it is herculean and nigh-impossible

it’s so crazy to me. narrative and maybe art direction is the only place where anyone (who does not work on Fortnite, the only other game doing this) could ever possibly have grounds to criticize, because every day you are trying to machete your way through the densest forest imaginable. it’s all the bits in Burnt Offerings where Ben goes outside to try to clear the driveway and it grows back stronger and faster and he’s got the black funeral limousine at his back he’s trying desperately to ignore. and in this allegory the chauffeur is death threats from epic gamers who paid for a blue tick on Twitter

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

RocketRaygun posted:

developers dont talk about anticheat in detail because those details help cheaters defeat anticheat systems.

best you're gonna get is "we see cheaters and are taking action".

Ah, security through obscurity, an endlessly poo poo policy that has kept me employed (mostly choking it to death) for over twenty years.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

at least in this case, we're talking detection and periods of effectiveness, not strictly security through obscurity. A few weeks of a detection system working before cheaters figure it out is a few thousand cheaters banned. Cheaters will always figure out how they are being detected and circumvent it. The goal is to make that take as long as possible, and obscurity is absurdly effective at extending that time window.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Meanwhile, it's battleye lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

and he’s got the black funeral limousine at his back he’s trying desperately to ignore. and in this allegory the chauffeur is death threats from epic gamers who paid for a blue tick on Twitter

This is why they replaced devs posting individually with an anonymized "destiny developers" account. And now Reddit is mad that they aren't getting as frequent and detailed dev posts.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

haveblue posted:

And now Reddit is mad

Wait, really?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What are all the sources of Enhancement Prisms you can do solo? I know you have two ways to buy them from Rahool, are Nightfall Hero or Legendary Lost Sectors guaranteed drops?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I am at that point of the season when I start getting a little weary of Destiny, kinda want to mix it up. If I equip all base light level gear, will that pair me with new lights? I feel like helping out some newbies through vanguard ops :unsmith:.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

MJeff posted:

What are all the sources of Enhancement Prisms you can do solo? I know you have two ways to buy them from Rahool, are Nightfall Hero or Legendary Lost Sectors guaranteed drops?

Not guaranteed, but you can get them. Vendor rank ups generally have a few in the track as well. The third slot for ghost mods has one for each activity called Greater Core Harvest; those can drop prisms from Crucible headshots, Gambit invasion kills or Vanguard boss kills.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

MJeff posted:

Iron Banner with actual Iron Banner gear is how I am constantly topped up.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol just ran into my first cheater. Dude flying around the perimeter of Vostok at mach speed with a Traveler's Chosen (Damaged). Allllllright, then!

And the very next game was a bunch of guys with Flawless titles and TTV in their usernames effortlessly shredding me. Honestly, I hope the cheaters win.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 30, 2023

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

life_source posted:

Iron Banner with actual Iron Banner gear is how I am constantly topped up.

Yup, this plus the greater harvest mod has been extremely useful to stock up.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

MJeff posted:

lol just ran into my first cheater. Dude flying around the perimeter of Vostok at mach speed with a Traveler's Chosen (Damaged). Allllllright, then!

And the very next game was a bunch of guys with Flawless titles and TTV in their usernames effortlessly shredding me. Honestly, I hope the cheaters win.

thats a big account burn to use a damaged traveler's chosen while cheating. That's been impossible to get for a while now.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Dropped my light level as far as I could and I got queued up with 2 level 2s. Something oddly satisfying about helping some newbies through 5 strikes :unsmith:.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Dropped my light level as far as I could and I got queued up with 2 level 2s. Something oddly satisfying about helping some newbies through 5 strikes :unsmith:.

I do this sometimes too, it's fun and honestly relaxing. I often go without an exotic because they're usually at the cap and that feels weird but it is still fun to do this :kimchi:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I seriously think you could pause the game and swap weapons faster than a glaive can go from shooting to meleeing. Good sweet merciful lord how did Bungie ever expect anybody to be able to use these things.

Super big fan of the "use all the worst special weapons in the game in PvP, good luck trying to get kills while everyone's jumping down your throat with a shotgun" challenge, btw, maybe next we can get a "Kill 20 invaders in Gambit with melee final blows" one.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You don’t actually have to get glaive kills, all progress is combined. Use a good AR or HC and play a couple extra matches

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Champion screebs.

:stare: what in the world

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

My favorite moment of Bungie addressing cheating was when hacks were at their peak after the game moved to Steam. You couldn't load a match without someone flying around the map with a full auto 1kv and infinite ammo. After months of ignoring public complaints Bungie finally came out and said "we checked our Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and none of the players' numbers look abnormal. gfy" And then they sent out emails with survey monkey links not long after being like "not that you have experienced cheating, but if you did in the future do you think it would negatively affect your game experience?"

I love this game, but gently caress this company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Last night I found a fishing spot that lasted well over an hour. I got most of the weekly fishing task completed in one go, which was nice

I wonder if this was a fluke or did bungie listen to player gripes and throttle how frequently fishing spots get wiped?