Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

You have to save it as a new template/profile, I don't think you can change a name once it's been saved.

Thanks! You're right, saving as a new profile worked. L just need to go back and reset the original profile to default now.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Heran Bago posted:

Some people are apparently installing SteamOS on the Asus Republic of Gamers Ally.
Very detailed setup:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/06/the-linux-coders-turning-the-rog-ally-and-other-handhelds-into-steam-deck-clones/

Gabe Newell grinning ear to ear at the news surely

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

paying extra to use STeamOS on a machine that runs at 55 degrees ftw

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Don't forget that by using it, you're officially part of the Republic of Gamers.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Now that thing's actually out and real people are getting it there's a bunch of people saying the top gets so hot that it actually pushes the microSD card out of the system. Quite funny.

Also I was briefly on the store page on desktop before the sale starts later and saw this banner which I think is new. Nice that specific big games are getting a big thing on the front page to say hey this game works on Deck you should get a Deck.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Curious if the Deck goes on sale again today.

In the UK both the 64GB and 256GB have been out of stock for a bit, so curious if there's also a big re-stock today. Want to get my daughter one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m ready for summer sale. Need more games for the deck I’ll never play.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What's the smallest stand that works.
No that's too big!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PageMaster posted:

I see the gulikit no soldering hall sticks are on Amazon, but sold by random names like "marvel power" and ZHUFON-US. Are these safe buys over do you need to order direct from gulikit?

I don’t think you can order them directly. I got mine from “Aukuoy” when I got the soldering kind way back.

Unrelated: replacing the L1 bumper didn’t fix my slightly busted L1, so I’m going to see if replacing L2 helps I guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sigher posted:

They aren't JSAUX, but they look just as good, front covers are available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm1p0ltWzKk

https://www.amazon.com/eXtremeRate-...s_li_ss_tl&th=1

This is very cool looking, but there is zero shot that I'm prying my glass steam deck screen off, ruining the bezel and re-gluing it down.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

njsykora posted:

Now that thing's actually out and real people are getting it there's a bunch of people saying the top gets so hot that it actually pushes the microSD card out of the system. Quite funny.
Buy the Deck to play video games, buy the ROG Ally to have a space heater.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Had none of these issues with rog
Wish it had a stand and easy access gyroscope options
Out of the box options are dire untill hours of updates for bios and windows
It is nice to have normal use apps and multitasking as not a issue
Asus however doesn't have a ally specific place to read on what's coming

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Yeah my Ally has been great, I just haven't seen an appropriate thread to discuss it. There is definitely a bit more "setup" due to needing to get everything up to date and creating convenient macros for navigation, but not much more than any other computer. It's nice being able to natively play xbox and epic games and I like the screen. I know there are vocal people with issues, like with most gaming hardware, but i'm surprised at all the hate it's getting here.

I'm feeling some console warrior vibes in this thread. :cheeky:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I think ROG-Chat should be welcome.

I don't envisage myself ever buying anything other than a Valve device because I think they're uniquely positioned to just make the best realised version of this concept, and I don't see that ever changing.

But the portable PC space is cool and good and ultimately we're all here for the same reasons; sticking your fingers up to console manufacturers with emulation, brute forcing AAA monstrosities onto 800p handheld screens with 90 minutes of battery life and trying to play complex RTS, sims and builders on a handheld machine for some loving reason.

Oh, and huffing vent smells.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

maybe the people who bought the other, bad, consoles, could make a thread for those

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Does the Amazon Games launcher work with Deck? I ignored it until recently but I've apparently got a good few games on there that I'd like to play.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Now I'm pretty miffed. I just had my RMA request denied, I've had my Deck for 6 months. I have the 'mushy trigger button' issue mentioned earlier in the thread and wasn't planning to RMA the device, but just recognized what I previously thought was a seam in my joystick is actually a crack slowly getting bigger:

At first I was asked if I caused the damage through dropping the device, but no I've always kept pristine care of my Deck and it arrived this way, I hadn't realized this was a crack. I was then told:

Steam posted:

Based on the information you've provided, we've determined that this damage is not covered by your warranty. This means your unit is not eligible for warranty repair or replacement.

I've replied asking for more information, but if the crack keeps growing I assume eventually the stick's gonna break.

Edit: Just got another response with a canned "Sorry this is not covered by warranty". Tweeted to @Steam and @OnDeck but this is terrible.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 29, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

That sucks. You can at least replace the stick, but you shouldn't have to pay for it.

Also, please pull the pube out of your trackpad.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I figured Rog chat fit here as were pretty much hunting the same accessories and both use steam

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
Video Games › Steam Deck: please pull the pube out of your trackpad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Atoramos posted:

Now I'm pretty miffed. I just had my RMA request denied, I've had my Deck for 6 months. I have the 'mushy trigger button' issue mentioned earlier in the thread and wasn't planning to RMA the device, but just recognized what I previously thought was a seam in my joystick is actually a crack slowly getting bigger:

That pube hair. :(

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Could also be cat hair

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

'unlikely greying pube' a chief username tho.

how poo poo is a stick replacement? don't I need to solder that poo poo in? I've asked again for more details and made a thread on the Steam Deck community on Steam, maybe Reddit next? Feels dumb to try and blow this up but it's clearly something that should be covered

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Way too fine for a pube

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Could also be cat hair

you're the winner

this is way too much analysis on whether or not I have small greying pubes and not enough help on wtf do I do about my stick slowly splitting itself apart

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Lol if you don’t have so much pet debris on all your devices that you can drop them without damaging anything. Get on my level.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/ondeck/status/1674463686524801026?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
get hall effect sticks and pretend you were gonna upgrade them anyways

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drat, 20% off the 512GB is really good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Atoramos posted:

this is way too much analysis on whether or not I have small greying pubes and not enough help on wtf do I do about my stick slowly splitting itself apart

Another successful Video Games forum story!

But yes, if they are not going to replace it, you'll probably have to do it yourself when it finally breaks down. Apparently it's not too complicated from what I've seen, thankfully.

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

I just bought the 512gb literally a week ago. Am I poo poo out of luck here?

I know they've refunded people buying a game at full price before it went on sale but feel like the deck might be a different case.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I thought the Hall ones had square bases which led to some odd stuff with how they feel? I was planning on opening the thing up and replacing the HDD once I got the RMA'ed unit back anyways, if it's simple/cheap/doesn't require solder and generally an improvement I'd be willing to upgrade.

Still pretty miffed with how Valve is treating me, considering I have two issues with the device and I'd consider both of them reasonable reasons to request an RMA.

edit: ok drat the replacement is super easy, and cheap for 30bux. I'm still very angry at Valve and I'm going to continue to be angry until these are in my Deck.

edit: third time's the charm, kept updating my support request and Valve has accepted the RMA

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 29, 2023

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Bumfluff posted:

I just bought the 512gb literally a week ago. Am I poo poo out of luck here?

I know they've refunded people buying a game at full price before it went on sale but feel like the deck might be a different case.

Contact Valve about this, you'll probably get a refund for the difference but no guarantee.

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

Looking into looks like they offered the difference in steam bux back in march. I've contacted, fingers crossed.

Would be good sale spending money!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Last steam sale that they put the Deck up on discount, they did exactly that - and I think even within a certain threshold started automatically refunding people whose Decks hadn't shipped yet? I saw a few people say they got one unprompted.

I'd ask though, especially if it was a week back. That's...maybe getting a little close.

Bumfluff posted:

Looking into looks like they offered the difference in steam bux back in march. I've contacted, fingers crossed.

Would be good sale spending money!

Oh good! And right? I suspect that's exactly where they expect that refunded money to be going anyway.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Should my next game be Chained Echoes, or FFIX with the HD mod? I'm nowhere near done with Zelda yet, just thought I'd get this figured out early since both games I'd been considering are on sale now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Honestly the answer is always "just ask" when it comes to Steam refunds. Of course they might say no but it's always worth a shot. I think they're pretty good with retroactive refunds around sale time. I've had games refunded before that have been well over the 2 hour limit, usually due to poo poo installation processes.