Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

trains are cool. use foundations to snap the tracks to and then delete the foundations if you want or snap pillars to them too then delete so the tracks aren't just floating in the air. build the straight tracks leading into and out of curves first then fill with the curve. makes everything look smooth and clean if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
What's the max ramp slope for trains?

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
Is there a way to factory reset the map while keeping all the progress? I want to start with a fresh map but would love to not have to jump through all the progression hoops from start.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Zedlic posted:

Is there a way to factory reset the map while keeping all the progress? I want to start with a fresh map but would love to not have to jump through all the progression hoops from start.

Play experimental (update 8), you can choose how far to unlock from the beginning now.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Evil SpongeBob posted:

What's the max ramp slope for trains?

Max slope for the rail is approximately the 4m slope, except it won't let you place rail on a 4m slope. But you can do a 2m slope, bunch of 4m, then another 2m.

The max practical slope is just 2m ramps though. The cargo cars have weight, more cargo slows the train down going uphill. A single loco engine can pull up to 5 cargo cars up a 2m slope, or 13 cars up a 1m slope.

But when pulling that max number, the train will slow down a whole lot when going uphill. And if it's ever forced to stop on the slope (such as by a signal), it will crawl. So I'd treat those numbers with a bit of caution -- if you want to use 2m slopes for anything more than short segments, I'd limit your trains to 4 cars per engine.

Zedlic posted:

Other than U8, you can load your map in SCIM and unlock stuff.

(The main downside of U8 right now is sucky performance, but in a fresh save it wouldn't be so bad. Maybe don't pick north forest start though, areas with heavy foliage seem to generate stutter.)

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

train tracks that follow a 1m slope look better too i think

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ash1138 posted:

train tracks that follow a 1m slope look better too i think

Yah. But they take a lot of space to do a substantial elevation change. When you need nearly a kilometer of runway to go up just 100 meters it can really limit where you build your rails.

Here's a trick I figured out a while back: The problem with mixing 1m and 2m slopes is you get a wavy, undulating train track that looks real dumb. But sometimes you need a steeper slope than 1m. The solution: use beams to make a custom slope!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Beams really were one of the best additions to this game ever. They're just fantastic.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Huge elevation changes are way easier with a spiral/double helix build. Takes a little bit to set up but it's way less irritating than trying to run long rear end slopes

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Heh, I think I know the spot this is in and I have a train going through (up) the same spot in the same way...

TK-42-1 posted:

Huge elevation changes are way easier with a spiral/double helix build. Takes a little bit to set up but it's way less irritating than trying to run long rear end slopes

... and am planning on converting it to a helix. Eventually.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

If you want to do another dumb gimmick, what about building all your trains as an underground network, with "tunnel exits" coming out at your stations. Build all your tracks under the surface and build elaborate tunnel entrances where it comes out. Also let's you build ugly as it's all hidden.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Helix is annoying to start/center but once you've got a solid base to work from the layers go pretty quick, definitely preferable aesthetically to a long ramp imo

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Helix is annoying to start/center but once you've got a solid base to work from the layers go pretty quick, definitely preferable aesthetically to a long ramp imo

Heh, I happen to be building in that spot right now as well. But... bigger.

So much concrete. So much. Still need to make the bottom floor with blenders. (Not pictured: another 25 refineries doing oil stuff, out in the bay on floating platforms. Because I haven't built them yet.)

For some reason I don't like helix ramps. I think it's because they always look physically implausible, even when they have supports.

Dunno-Lars posted:

If you want to do another dumb gimmick, what about building all your trains as an underground network, with "tunnel exits" coming out at your stations. Build all your tracks under the surface and build elaborate tunnel entrances where it comes out. Also let's you build ugly as it's all hidden.

But then if you ride around on your trains later you're under the world and it's ugly. The best thing about a good-looking rail network is cruising around and admiring it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

One of the best buildings I’ve seen

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

euphronius posted:

One of the best buildings I’ve seen

For real. I'm envious of people who can make buildings that aren't just one big square.

This also applies to like The Sims and Rimworld

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

All of my buildings are big bare squares, sometimes with walls! Very brutalist all told. Don't look under the floor where I route all the conveyor belts.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Klyith posted:

Heh, I happen to be building in that spot right now as well. But... bigger.

Sick as hell

I’m really, really looking forward to my next playthrough and going crazy with detailing, I haven’t really played since before concrete was even in the game

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
By the way the game is currently 45% off for the summer steam sale

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Leal posted:

By the way the game is currently 45% off for the summer steam sale

Considering getting it on Steam despite owning it on EGS. Mostly for ease of play on steam deck. Anyone play it on the deck and if so how is performance and usability?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Thanks for compliments!

There are people on the reddit that do way nicer stuff than me. But they generally do it by having a lot less machines, which gives you more room for aesthetic embellishment. My happy place is a nice-looking building that's also producing a ton of stuff (this factory will do 1350 aluminum ingots and like 2k petcoke for steel production elsewhere).

Leal posted:

For real. I'm envious of people who can make buildings that aren't just one big square.

So the thing is, it isn't really that different from a big square. It's just offset to the side on each level, and then decor applied to the shell to make it look interesting. The interiors of most of my builds aren't great -- if I'm lucky I have some space for a few walkways and balconies.

priznat posted:

Considering getting it on Steam despite owning it on EGS. Mostly for ease of play on steam deck. Anyone play it on the deck and if so how is performance and usability?

I have seen people on the reddit say that it works pretty well, but bogs down hard when you have a substantial world. Which I guess is what one should expect from the deck's limitations.

OTOH fooling around with blueprints, architecture designs, and stuff like that would be a great fit for a steamdeck. Creative mode gently caress-around is easy on the CPU, you don't need a million factories running. And it fits better with short sessions.

If you play Experimental, know that running it in linux is currently mildly busted. DX12 doesn't work, so DX11 is the best option.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Heard about the U8 stuff and skipped out on the big blueprint update, so decided to drop in again. I'm waiting on phase 3 to finish and at this point I can't imagine playing again without flight and ignoring build materials. The bulk of hating not having bots goes away with those two changes, as I can visually align stuff now and not having to keep going back to a base to refill on junk. If they had an option to siphon resources from your containers instead of making it free there would be no difference in how good it feels to be able to ignore inventory space.

The downsides are the performance right now (went from Ultra to High and will probably go lower) on a 5600X and 3080 and the blueprint generator. Given the size and non-block-aligned-design of some of the machines, especially mass-produced ones like fuel gens, I mostly start a project thinking I should use it then give up after a few seconds and do it manually. At least flight mode makes it very easy to aim chunks. Rail work will probably make me love the thing.

Klyith posted:

So the thing is, it isn't really that different from a big square. It's just offset to the side on each level, and then decor applied to the shell to make it look interesting. The interiors of most of my builds aren't great -- if I'm lucky I have some space for a few walkways and balconies.

I mean the effort to decorate the outside is still impressive. I've done a few cuter, well-lit builds of things complete with walk-throughs around the glass-enclosed components with power switches and signs and all the stuff that will probably look way better in UE. Outside, though? It's built like a grocery store or office building 100% of the time. As the scale grows the desire to make the inside look good dies too, because there's no way to make 100 fuel generators plus all the blenders/refineries/etc look good that I could finish within my lifespan.

TentPegg
Sep 22, 2012

I am stuck with a 2060 and refuse to give nVidia any of my cash, although I am not sure AMD are doing a lot better with their cards. Should I upgrade to the latest build? I know lumen will be out of my reach but I am not sure how the game runs without that enabled for a potato as lowly as mine? I like the sound of the quality of life improvements...

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I've been managing U8 with my 1070 on the High setting. Caveat, I'm also running it on Linux. Performance isn't perfect, but I'm through to setting up railways for aluminum production so it hasn't stopped me.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

lmao

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TentPegg posted:

I am stuck with a 2060 and refuse to give nVidia any of my cash, although I am not sure AMD are doing a lot better with their cards. Should I upgrade to the latest build? I know lumen will be out of my reach but I am not sure how the game runs without that enabled for a potato as lowly as mine? I like the sound of the quality of life improvements...

Only upgrade to U8 if you are ok with some very hitchy performance. That's not your hardware, that's everyone. U8 is pretty badly unoptimized and choppy.

I have a RX6700 (non-XT) and Lumen is certainly playable, with some attention to various quality settings. Note that Lumen isn't the same as normal RTX raytracing, it's much lower cost and doesn't strictly depend on raytrace hardware. In Fortnite a 2060 does pretty ok with Lumen. So I wouldn't go shopping for a new GPU until U8 gets some actual performance fixes and we have a better idea of the real requirements.

Mailer posted:

Given the size and non-block-aligned-design of some of the machines, especially mass-produced ones like fuel gens, I mostly start a project thinking I should use it then give up after a few seconds and do it manually.

Yeah generators of whatever type are not really blueprint friendly. But another thing that's changed since you last played is that overclocking generators is now strictly linear -- OC 200% and it makes twice the power, for twice the fuel. So it's much easier to calculate. Always OC generators, it's the easiest way to make less stuff.

(Also overclocking normal machines is less wasteful: they reduced the exponent that makes power grow faster than production. Now a 200% OC only wastes 20% of the power consumption.)

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I was in Skövde this weekend to visit a friend and am happy to report that Coffee Stain Studios do not have people working on weekends apparantly.

Their office is in a nice building surrounded by nice restaurants though.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Man with Hat posted:

I was in Skövde this weekend to visit a friend and am happy to report that Coffee Stain Studios do not have people working on weekends apparantly.

Their office is in a nice building surrounded by nice restaurants though.

Better than weekends, they don't work for like a month straight in summer. I think they come back in August.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Welcome to Europe, where this stuff is normal.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

Yeah generators of whatever type are not really blueprint friendly. But another thing that's changed since you last played is that overclocking generators is now strictly linear -- OC 200% and it makes twice the power, for twice the fuel. So it's much easier to calculate. Always OC generators, it's the easiest way to make less stuff.

I certainly noticed the OC changes! One of the benefits of flight mode is when I'm scoping areas for builds I get to grab all the slugs, most of which are in :effort: locations, and as such the white lights are now very present in my factories. Going from a potential 80 fuel gens to 40 was a blessing.

This game I'm trying to keep within the intended confines and upgrade along with the game and that's given a lot more opportunities. Being able to generate more power than I could use with just one coal setup and the residue from plastic (let alone rigging up dedicated turbofuel, which I never did) kind of snuffed nuclear before I ever got there. With the OC changes I'm going to try a full on overclocked nuclear setup to provide power for phase 4.

Hopefully blueprints will help with the mammoth rail task because that was probably like 85% of my previous ridiculous playtime.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
First attempt at a world-spanning train network is done.

The goal is to being everything back to a megabase platform in the Red Forest where all further production is going to be done.

Might have to expand the base platform a bit, kind of underestimated how much space train stations would take up and I'm going to need to bring a lot of materials here. Took a while to build the network but I can see why people go with this method, should be easy enough to build small branching stations now and get resources from anywhere.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Might have to expand the base platform a bit, kind of underestimated how much space train stations would take up and I'm going to need to bring a lot of materials here. Took a while to build the network but I can see why people go with this method, should be easy enough to build small branching stations now and get resources from anywhere.

It's great once it's done, and if the save modding tools were updated I'd be very tempted to lift someone else's rail network as building one by hand in U5 was... an experience. Kudos for it all being clean!

Station size is one of my bugbears in this game, and the result is I never have cool trains running into bases unless I build an entire huge floor for train logistics and then the base goes on top of/underneath it. For anything where it's not carting to/from a megabase that has room for those kind of shenanigans the stations wind up some distance away, with resources then belted to/from the base.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

One thing I was thinking that would be cool is if they let you build a train station with multiple lines going thru, and the train could stop and get serviced by the loader/unloader.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Remind me, did they ever make poison pillars destructible?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Remind me, did they ever make poison pillars destructible?

It's part of the latest update in experimental, yes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tenebrais posted:

It's part of the latest update in experimental, yes.

:toot: Smashing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

priznat posted:

One thing I was thinking that would be cool is if they let you build a train station with multiple lines going thru, and the train could stop and get serviced by the loader/unloader.

Trains in Satisfactory are almost aggressively non-utilitarian. The enormous stations, the lack any sort of logic beyond empty/full/wait, the huge braking time, etc. I will have scars for life from trying to figure out how to handle distributed production on any sort of scale. You're just fighting against the way the game wants to work.

I don't have drones yet in my current game, but given how easy they are to set up (compared to train lines) and how the game really wants you to source everything locally until you hit a hard local limit (nitrogen/sulphur) then ship smaller batches onward... I'm wondering if outright ditching trains in favor of a flying army is a better deal. I can imagine it'd be more efficient to train in uranium, given it's a single cargo with a single destination and a known number of sources, but once you've locally solved for T5/T6 goods and have to transfer them the stack sizes tend to go down significantly and drones are pretty great at getting what you need where you need it.

(This is all theory. I haven't tried this.)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I’m gonna keep doing what I did before trains when tractors glitched constantly also and just belt everything everywhere. It works great lol.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The last restrictions weren’t strict enough and people kept scraping the ground with belts, so now you will only be allowed to build up to 60m long belts. Ficsit Blue subscribers will be able to build up to 600m long belts. Unlimited belt access will cost $42000 per month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

My factory in the dune desert is on the final stage now, so I'm making things that use fused modular frames and batteries now, and have a nuclear power generator up. But there's a few things where there's a node I need in the same biome, but nowhere near where my production is in that biome. It's not quite far enough to justify building a whole train to get for example, that pure caterium node in the south west of the dune desert, but making a whole bridge with 1 conveyor about it zig-zagging across the desert to meet up with the rest of my caterium production looks bad. I made truck stations to ship bottles out to my nitrogen node and bottled nitrogen back in but that's kinda annoying because I have to set up 4 truck stations, fuel for them and then set up a truck route. I just got batteries up now, so I can make drones to deal with all that.

Trains are good for moving a few different things long distance though. Like I have one set up to bring copper, silica, and coal down to the swamp where all my bauxite nodes are and bringing aluminum sheets and casings back. Or moving oil products from the oil nodes to my main factory. I do kinda wish train stations could unload, and then load into the same cars because train stations take up a TON of room and at a certain point, your factory kinda grows around the train station, or you didn't leave enough room to keep adding more and more platforms.