Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

The_Doctor posted:

Have we discussed the absolute greedy clusterfuck of Cthulhu Wars shipping? Check the latest update if not.

People’s games are sitting on pallets at Gamerati, who will only ship out a full pallet at a time, but people can pay extra money to try and get their pallet moved closer to getting out the door. Otherwise they’re going to have to wait up to another year for something they’ve already paid for (including shipping).

I can't imagine the cost to store all those pallets somewhere for a year makes doing this worthwhile. They're just hoping to get enough backers to pay in to make this somehow cost them less than taking out a business loan, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Meanwhile, the warehousing fees start to accrue and Peterson Games edges closer to disappearing forever because they burnt all their bridges with customers with their shipping shenanigans, assuming their transphobic remarks didn't already do that.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

There seems like there have been a few kickstarter disasters in regards to shipping and extra costs lately. Does someone have the TL;DR for the Cthulhu one? It has like 189 updates, and that seems like too many. I wish Kickstarter had a way to stratify updates. Like out of 189 updates there are probably 180 useless weekly check ins or advertising ones and 9 posts of real interest.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

The_Doctor posted:

Have we discussed the absolute greedy clusterfuck of Cthulhu Wars shipping? Check the latest update if not.

People’s games are sitting on pallets at Gamerati, who will only ship out a full pallet at a time, but people can pay extra money to try and get their pallet moved closer to getting out the door. Otherwise they’re going to have to wait up to another year for something they’ve already paid for (including shipping).

That sounds like the weirdest buck-passing that I can't believe someone thought was a good idea.

In the good old days you could just drop tens of thousands of games on a fulfillment warehouse's doorstep one morning after talking to them once like a year ago and it's suddenly their problem to store and deliver :v: This was how the original Gloomhaven showed up at Funagain, maximum comedy there

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

FFS. I'd basically zoned out of the CWO4 shipping crap as I'm lucky enough to be in the UK so have actually received product, I had no idea it had gotten that bad.

I appreciate that Petersen Games got boned on shipping costs due to Covid and on reprint costs due to their own incompetence at proofreading but asking for more donations when they already made a product to subsidize the costs deffo feels off.

It's also holding up their other KS stuff like Hyperspace and the Gods War expansions (and probably some others). Really wish KS had a rule about not starting a new project until you have fulfilled your current one...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

There seems like there have been a few kickstarter disasters in regards to shipping and extra costs lately. Does someone have the TL;DR for the Cthulhu one? It has like 189 updates, and that seems like too many. I wish Kickstarter had a way to stratify updates. Like out of 189 updates there are probably 180 useless weekly check ins or advertising ones and 9 posts of real interest.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersengames/cthulhu-wars-the-daemon-sultan/posts/3600810 pretty much covers the original issue

They collected the money for the KS back in 2020. By the time it was ready to ship, the shipping companies massively increased their prices and wouldn't honour the original quotes, so Petersen Games needed to come up with extra money to pay for it. This was partly done by donations, partly through a new product, and partly by siphoning profit from their webstore.

They've also had issues getting corrected reprints of components for some of the add ons since they either sent the wrong version of files to printers or just didn't proofread them in the first place.

Then in addition to that, it looks like Gamerati now have all the US pallets in their warehouse but are holding them hostage unless Petersen Games gives them more money for 'priority' shipping of around $1640 per pallet (with 87 pallets of product needing to be shipped out)

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 29, 2023

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://petersengames.com/pallets/

this is psychotic

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Zark the Damned posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersengames/cthulhu-wars-the-daemon-sultan/posts/3600810 pretty much covers the original issue

They collected the money for the KS back in 2020. By the time it was ready to ship, the shipping companies massively increased their prices and wouldn't honour the original quotes, so Petersen Games needed to come up with extra money to pay for it. This was partly done by donations, partly through a new product, and partly by siphoning profit from their webstore.

They've also had issues getting corrected reprints of components for some of the add ons since they either sent the wrong version of files to printers or just didn't proofread them in the first place.

Then in addition to that, it looks like Gamerati now have all the US pallets in their warehouse but are holding them hostage unless Petersen Games gives them more money for 'priority' shipping of around $1640 per pallet (with 87 pallets of product needing to be shipped out)

Sounds like Gamerati didn't get paid and are refusing to ship anything until their past due bills are cleaned up.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

lol holy poo poo

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sometimes I think I am old and have seen everything there is to see in the boardgame industry, yet here we are, surprising me.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Look, at this point Petersen Games is: Sandy Petersen and one of his sons. Total. And they had like five or six 6+ figure projects outstanding from which there is no longer money remaining as far as I can tell.

That they still have some semblance of existence and a plan to at least get people's Cthulhu Wars stuff to them is better than one could reasonably expect. It's not like they're saying "give us yet more money or you won't get your stuff," they're saying "we have the money to ship like, 1/12th of this a month, maybe, assuming our sales continue at the same rate which is not guaranteed, so if you want to give us more money to accelerate that process specifically for your stuff, have at it". I don't know that I'd recommend giving that money but it seems like a reasonable offer for them to make to me.

I'm still pretty convinced I will never see Hyperspace, let alone the Gods War and Planet Apocalypse addon stuff.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'd prefer if Sandy just liquidated all his assets, paid for everything to go out immediately, then died penniless and alone.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Yeah I'd love to not get anymore planet apocalypse or dinosaur 1944 "updates"

Luckily I only got one PA expansion and $1 for the Dino game but there's people on both that spent hundreds

And PA has reprint pledges but they can't even do that for years! They're worse than mythic games

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

rydiafan posted:

I'd prefer if Sandy just liquidated all his assets, paid for everything to go out immediately, then died penniless and alone.

I mean, sure. But that's not gonna happen. We're either gonna get poo poo very slowly and with additional opportunities to give them money to help it along, or we're not going to get it at all. Probably a combo of both depending on project.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
But wait, there's more!

quote:

Hundreds of US backers have accidently been doxxed by Petersen Games after they shared an excel spread sheet with their discord server in an attempt to get backers their pallet numbers faster.

This spreadsheet had hidden tabs that you could easily access containing the full names, phone numbers, addresses, emails of backers among other things.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3108824/data-breach-us-os4-backers

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That seems not optimal!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
It's really pretty sad. I was there when Sandy was hawking the prototype at the HPL Film Festival before the first KS and backed every CW KS along the way through Daemon Sultan. One thing has become clear over the years - they love their game but they are absolute crap at business. It's crazy how they took can't miss success and... then ultimately missed on sustaining it. I'm only out a couple hundred on Daemon Sultan and Bubastis, but I'm bummed that the debacle ends up leaving a bit of a taste in my mouth when I think about pulling CW out of the massive tub I've tossed all of its contents into.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

malkav11 posted:

I mean, sure. But that's not gonna happen. We're either gonna get poo poo very slowly and with additional opportunities to give them money to help it along, or we're not going to get it at all. Probably a combo of both depending on project.

I know they’ve been saying Hyperspace is next on the fulfillment list, but has it even started manufacturing yet, or gotten to the point where they *could* start manufacturing? I have a feeling they’re going to get through the CW shipping and then say “lol pay us for your hyperspace pledge again so we can manufacture the games”. What a shitshow.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Vidmaster posted:

I know they’ve been saying Hyperspace is next on the fulfillment list, but has it even started manufacturing yet, or gotten to the point where they *could* start manufacturing? I have a feeling they’re going to get through the CW shipping and then say “lol pay us for your hyperspace pledge again so we can manufacture the games”. What a shitshow.

Nope.

From the last relevant update:

quote:

After we announced that we were targeting the end of Q3 2023 for Hyperspace, we started to lock in the details for delivery - final retooling, production, freight, shipping, VAT, etc. After many calls with tooling, manufacturing, and financing partners and about a month of discussions, we realized that the current income rate of the company would not track at the pace required for a streamlined delivery of the game. We would, once again, be in the position that we are in with CWO4 - fits and starts, surges of progress then huge pauses, frustrating delays - because the cashflow of the business isn’t healthy enough to support the aggregate costs associated with a game run like Hyperspace (core game, 20 expansions).

<snip>
Instead, we are going to produce and release two smallergames in 2023 (the previously announced Terror Paths is one of them) that were developed during the 2 years of the pandemic. These releases will serve as lower-cost, fast-to-market revenue generators. Our conservative projections show that the combined profitability of these two products will mean we have the operating capital to deliver Hyperspace without the obstacles, roadblocks, and stoppages that we’ve had with Onslaught 4. In the past, we might have just moved ahead; we've had some learnings from CWO4 that we are trying to apply.

So, in theory, these other projects they're doing (not crowdfunding, retail) will generate enough money to just do a full printing and shipment of Hyperspace all in one go and they won't have this bitty stuff with pallets etc. I feel like that's pretty optimistic but...maybe! All I know is I won't be buying them, and honestly at this point I'd rather have my extra Gods' War and Planet Apocalypse stuff than Hyperspace. But that's not the order they were KSed so, welp.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It felt like Petersen was pitching a massive boardgame KS every couple of months 4 or so years ago. I remember thinking "how the hell is this sustainable". Welp.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It was brought to my recollection that Petersen had a friendly chat with Varg Vikernes on Twitter and also followed people like Ben Shapiro and Dennis Prager. So just all the rakes.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

It felt like Petersen was pitching a massive boardgame KS every couple of months 4 or so years ago. I remember thinking "how the hell is this sustainable". Welp.

I was also getting concerned but apparently not enough to stop backing in time. :P

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Given they bailed John loving Wick and 7th Sea of all people, I'm shocked Chaosium hasn't lifted a finger to help at Petersen Games. Bad blood, or just a poor investment?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

sasha_d3ath posted:

Given they bailed John loving Wick and 7th Sea of all people, I'm shocked Chaosium hasn't lifted a finger to help at Petersen Games. Bad blood, or just a poor investment?

At least 7th Sea only had one kickstarter to salvage, I suppose. I have to imagine the budget Chaosium has for bailing out old friends with no hope of seeing a return isn't unlimited.

I am glad to get the rest of my 7th Sea books, I suppose, but I wonder what sales to new customers are like for the line. The system was dead so soon after release and that doesn't seem to have changed.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Dawgstar posted:

It was brought to my recollection that Petersen had a friendly chat with Varg Vikernes on Twitter and also followed people like Ben Shapiro and Dennis Prager. So just all the rakes.
Not on par of course, but on the matter of personal hygiene I once was at a table where Petersen was mastering a session of CoC and he couldn't stop spitting inside a small water bottle. Non stop, for hours, like it was an old wild west spittoon.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

At least 7th Sea only had one kickstarter to salvage, I suppose. I have to imagine the budget Chaosium has for bailing out old friends with no hope of seeing a return isn't unlimited.

I am glad to get the rest of my 7th Sea books, I suppose, but I wonder what sales to new customers are like for the line. The system was dead so soon after release and that doesn't seem to have changed.

I also have to imagine giant boardgames full of enormous plastic minis are more expensive to make per count than RPG stuff. Even with print books.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

malkav11 posted:

I also have to imagine giant boardgames full of enormous plastic minis are more expensive to make per count than RPG stuff. Even with print books.

Also it's I think two or three books left to complete the previous promise of one Kickstarter that was already most of the way done, as opposed to…like, almost a half-dozen board games which it sounds like didn't have sculpts or rules ready?

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 1, 2023

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Lord_Hambrose posted:

the budget Chaosium has for bailing out old friends with no hope of seeing a return isn't unlimited.

A guy who got a runaway success with a passion project, and decided to take that and start a whole company around it & fell into the kickstarter-every-month trap because he couldn't make it work isn't exactly a hard luck story, either.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
To add they bought the rights to 7th Sea line and kept Wick on as creative. While this did put finishing out the line on them, it is mostly done and the remaining books are very unnecessary supplements. It was less doing John Wick a favor and more buying the rights to 7th Sea first and second edition and adding them to their catalog.

Cthulhu Wars just seems like a poison pill while 7th Sea is easy to profit off of since they're just collecting pdf and POD sales and can license out the setting. After the last KS goals are done, I really can't imagine anything else they would need to make since they've made or had planned books for every part of the game world. Cthulhu Wars has a setting they already own, same with Glorantha: the God's War. They probably already did him a favor with the Glorantha one so I can't see them bending over backwards to save him without some kind of profit motive.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I don't quite get it, but 7th Sea has a following. Is there any value to Chaosium being set up for a not absolute horse poo poo 3rd Edition?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CitizenKeen posted:

I don't quite get it, but 7th Sea has a following. Is there any value to Chaosium being set up for a not absolute horse poo poo 3rd Edition?

It's not that surprising. Pirates are fun. That said a potential 3E would probably need some significant rework. Both editions managed the neat trick of being not very playable in different ways.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CitizenKeen posted:

They were building up their portfolio at that time after years of the company coasting and generally being awful. They started putting effort into Call of Cthulhu, brought back Pendragon and RuneQuest to Chaosium, and I assume they wanted another, more contemporary IP they could use. Second edition was mostly done too and 7th Sea is established and a known quantity, easy to license since it is THE pirate RPG property. Regardless of playability, it's a brand that's managed to survive years of nobody doing anything with it and then had a very successful, though poorly planned, Kickstarter. Being able to sell the old and new PDF's is also immediate cash flow. I'm also assuming they got a good deal with Wick getting a job out of it. This isn't to say Wick is a catch, that it probably wasn't a huge cash payout since he got a job as part of the buyout.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
JON HODGSON PHOTO BACKDROPS FOR MINIS

Ends at 5pm! 70 mins from me typing this!
http://kck.st/46sAuKq

There isn't a pledge manager for this so if you wish to adjust your pledge you need to do it before it ends, you can add additional pledges in "manage my pledge" on KS

Some pics of the unlocked sci fi book - both books now 32 pages!

I sent some painted minis to jon to test these out on test prints

Here's a pic of the first 24 of the first book too at one glance.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I wonder what sales numbers are like for 7th Sea pdfs, especially when the most invested fans bought into the Kickstarter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I wonder what sales numbers are like for 7th Sea pdfs, especially when the most invested fans bought into the Kickstarter.

And that for the low sum of 40 bucks for all the pdfs, I believe it was. Despite the system being not great, there was still a ton of labor put into them and that was an absurdly low sum.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I played 2nd Edition for something like six months, and just looking at all the great art in the books was worth my 65 bucks. My time with the game wasn't terrible, but combat felt so bad eventually we kinda took the first excuse to switch games and never looked back.

I have always liked the setting, so a new 3rd edition with another totally new ruleset is fine with me.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Apparently someone decided to just pay for all the shipping for cthulu wars. What other games have they not shipped and are hoping someone will bail them out?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My immediate thought was Petersen did it under threat of legal action or something because no other explanation makes sense.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
It sometimes happen that a random wealthy person decides to bail everyone out because its a trifling amount of money to them. Happened with Chuubos Magical Wish Granting Engine when it all went tits up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

If only they’d come through for all the Blacklist Games projects.