Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

nothign says game i will definitely play for a long time like deleting my character 2 months after release
You're free to still play your character when the season starts. Just not IN the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

nothign says game i will definitely play for a long time like deleting my character 2 months after release

Well hopefully you enjoy all of July before the character deletion deadline you have.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm still waffling on whether I want to roll Druid or Necro as my primary season character.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

5er posted:

Well hopefully you enjoy all of July before the character deletion deadline you have.

There is no joy there is only regret

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

SettingSun posted:

You're free to still play your character when the season starts. Just not IN the season.

Wow thank you bkizzard

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

SettingSun posted:

I'm still waffling on whether I want to roll Druid or Necro as my primary season character.

i'm waiting to see what new stuff gets added before deciding. if we get a number of new legos, uniques, etc it will definitely have an impact on which class i'll go for

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

congrats on understanding things

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
so wait does blizzard count as direct damage or damage over time

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It doesn't crit so dot I guess

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's really funny to see people freak out about the seasonal character thing. Where have yall been living for the past like 15 years

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah I can understand not liking seasons conceptually but they've been a core element of the Diablo experience since D2

Except for D3's release before it got fixed, but they kind of hosed up every single thing for D3 launch

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's weird to want everyone to start over like six weeks after the game comes out lol

No one would be blinking an eye if this was season one and season 2 started in november

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I think they should have probably started season 1 at launch. That would have stopped people from being upset about having to redo renown and stuff a month into the game and then new people who are not used to the ARPG season thing would be able to keep using there initial characters for the first 3-4 months or whatever until season 2 when they could decide if they wanted to reroll and do it again or not.

Particularly since they sold versions of the game with the battlepass included it would be nice if people could use their initial characters on that stuff. But I dunno, I've been playing seasonal ARPGS for like 20 years and you have always had to start a new character every time.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I think this initial period is a nice chance to try out all the classes before I commit to something in S1 and now everyone knows the basic systems so the start of S1 will be a mad rush to 100.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

leftist heap posted:

It's really funny to see people freak out about the seasonal character thing. Where have yall been living for the past like 15 years
I have not played any games that have seasons. I played a lot of D2 but was not ever involved with Seasons (I dont know how or why I never heard of D2 having Seasons but maybe I'm just forgetful?). I dont get why people are freaking out about it either.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's not long enough to be bored and put it down for a while at this point, so no lifers have to do a bunch of renown stuff over so quickly and the dads just finished the campaign.

Presumably there is gonna be loads of seasonal content that is gonna flesh out the game and balance and poo poo so it's not even as if you can just keep playing your now finely tuned character, afaik

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have not played any games that have seasons. I played a lot of D2 but was not ever involved with Seasons (I dont know how or why I never heard of D2 having Seasons but maybe I'm just forgetful?). I dont get why people are freaking out about it either.

D2 had like 3 ladders in 4 years at its height and goons think it's normal now

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I wonder when we will get S1 details. "mid-july" is in like 2 weeks at this point

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Substandard posted:

I wonder when we will get S1 details. "mid-july" is in like 2 weeks at this point

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Which class plays the most differently to current meta ice shards sorc? Bone spear necro seems like a sorc variant. I was thinking barb but having 4 shouts feels a bit like having 4 defensives? Not sure.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Which class plays the most differently to current meta ice shards sorc? Bone spear necro seems like a sorc variant. I was thinking barb but having 4 shouts feels a bit like having 4 defensives? Not sure.
There are a lot of builds that work for Barb. You dont have to Spin2Win or HotA to win. My build only has one shout (War Cry for the damage boost) and I'm doing just fine at level 59. Though I got started slow on NM Dungeons but I just sleepwalked through my first three last night and look forward to upping the difficulty. The only hard/exciting part of any of them was getting immediately headbutted by The Butcher the second I loaded into the first one, and once the surprise wore off I handled him just fine.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 29, 2023

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Druid or rogue maybe

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

leftist heap posted:

Manufactured outrage is a hell of a thing. I can see someone being a wee bit put off initially but if the game is about power progression it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the appeal of starting fresh. Then again I did have a couple friends that played D3 non seasonal most of the time. I don't get it but whatever lol

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i never played d2 so when d3 seasons were introduced my initial reaction was "why the hell would i do that" but then i actually played it and it was very fun to start over despite my initial feelings about it

i think folks will get over it quick, or just continue playing non-season at least until s2 and then maybe reset once they get bored with their eternal characters

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So Ive just unlocked Tier3/hit level 53, and completed my first NM dungeon. How does grinding NM dungeons work? It seems like the sigil is consumable, do I just do 90% of the dungeon, leave dungeon, and enter again? Do the mobs automatically respawn? I saw in the patch notes we can teleport to NM dungeons now, how do we do that?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Just use another sigil and run a new nm. You can tp to the dungeon by opening map after using a sigil and clicking on the dungeon on the map.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

DLC Inc posted:

does going beyond the 5 tangible ranks of any skill actually do anything? I didn't think going over the alotted limit actually did anything once you're already at rank 5

I wanna throw this out there for anyone new.

Read the tool tip when you highlight the skill. It'll tell you any added benefit if you were to add an additional point to the skill. It continues to do this regardless of how many points are in it. Even if it's impossible to reach that level.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The ladder started over 2 years after the expansion so you had probably quit playing at that point.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Seasons and starting over is good because ARPGs are about the journey, not the destination, man.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Loel posted:

So Ive just unlocked Tier3/hit level 53, and completed my first NM dungeon. How does grinding NM dungeons work? It seems like the sigil is consumable, do I just do 90% of the dungeon, leave dungeon, and enter again? Do the mobs automatically respawn? I saw in the patch notes we can teleport to NM dungeons now, how do we do that?

You can craft NM sigils at the enchanter, you just use a new one every dungeon. They also drop in the NM dungeons, so you probably don't really need to craft too many.

If you click on the NM dungeon on the map after using a sigil it will now give you to ability to teleport to the entrance. It is awesome and makes it less advantageous to like do a bunch of the same dungeon sigils in a row which people used to tell you to do.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
therefore you should play hardcore

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vashro posted:

The ladder started over 2 years after the expansion so you had probably quit playing at that point.
Ahh yeah that probably explains it, thanks.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Vashro posted:

therefore you should play hardcore

soon. I lost multiple D2R HC chars to bad internet.

new ISP just laid fiber in my neighborhood. once I get that, I'm all in on HC.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ehud posted:

Seasons and starting over is good because ARPGs are about the journey, not the destination, man.

Yeah I just want more information about ladder only features like d2s runewords or d3s season uniques. I think I’ve only heard about battle passes so far but that may be on me for not looking hard enough

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I dunno how many new features to expect for S1 other than QoL and balance since the game is still newish. Probably S2 or 3 is when more transformative season changes come in.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Tokubetsu posted:

Speaking on sorc build diversity/vuln being so important some guy on Reddit spent 14 mill to respecc incinerate at lvl 98 to see how bad it really is. It went how you expect lmao
I really wanted to use that skill, but even early on its shortcomings became apparent very quickly. Not to mention that having to stand in one place to attack is not something the game's monster design lets you get away with much.

But then, I am still levelling the sorc in question and the experience in general just is not really edifying compared to the other classes I have played.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah I just want more information about ladder only features like d2s runewords or d3s season uniques. I think I’ve only heard about battle passes so far but that may be on me for not looking hard enough

All we know so far:

- Everyone starts at level 1 again.

- 2 levels of renown carry over.

- All altars of Lilith carry over.

- Map progress carries over.

- Free battle pass will have some milestones (think stuff like XP bonuses) that help with progression.

The stream coming up should talk more about the actual content planned for season 1. They said before launch that season 1 and season 2 were already done and that they're working on season 3. I hope that means the seasonal content is pretty extensive and they felt the need to create a buffer for themselves before the game launched.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MMAgCh posted:

I really wanted to use that skill, but even early on its shortcomings became apparent very quickly. Not to mention that having to stand in one place to attack is not something the game's monster design lets you get away with much.
I find it amusing that I (feel like I) notice a tangible difference when as my non-meta build Barb use Ground Stomp to stun things then wail on them while standing still, thus netting the 30% bonus to damage for standing still. But it only works because they're close and stunned. I cant imagine trying to stand still and shoot a cone of fire at things.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I'm personally against a system where you're constantly making new characters to play a season. I get it for ladder for people who want to compete. I get it if there are special mechanics gimmicks that would screw up the balance if added to the regular game.

I don't get it if each season is going to be the only way to complete whatever new content is added to the game, and the only way you'll be able to play it is if you wait 3 months for it to come to the eternal server. I've always seen making new characters as a choice you make if you feel bored with the game. But it should be a personal option and not one that you're pushed to do. Just saying "hey this is what ARPGs are" really isn't an excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is there something bugged with crits? i know some people have gotten the boots and fury on crit rings/paragon traits to work, but when i whirlwind and crit literally 100% of the time, i neither get fury back nor run fast